Old 16th March 2011, 01:35   #451
BHPian

Re: Snakes!

Thought this would be an interesting read:

Snake dies after biting silicone breast - Trends News - IBNLive
Old 16th March 2011, 03:07   #452

Hi,

These are a few pictures from a place called Coari within the Amazon forest. I was working there.
A few guys walking to the water source noticed the snake.
They decided to remove it!!!

The only sad part was that I was sleeping at the time, and I got the snaps from the guys. I did go to the place in the afternoon, but the snake had disappeared by that time.
One thing that I have to say, I love the Brazallian attitude, they try as far as possible not to kill the snake. I lke snakes, and I feel sad that in many place in India, once a snake is spotted, a witch hunt follows, and the snake is almost always killed.

In the pictures, the guys have removed the snake from the bushes, and have carried it. Pic # 3 was justt before they walked with the snake. And Pic # 4 is where they left the snake.
Attached Thumbnails
Snakes!-001.jpg  

Snakes!-002.jpg  

Snakes!-003.jpg  

Snakes!-004.jpg  

Cenez is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th March 2011, 09:40   #453
Senior - BHPian

Oh, man !!! That surely is some snake. Anaconda ?
Old 16th March 2011, 11:09   #454
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cenez View Post
One thing that I have to say, I love the Brazallian attitude, they try as far as possible not to kill the snake. I lke snakes, and I feel sad that in many place in India, once a snake is spotted, a witch hunt follows, and the snake is almost always killed.
True. We have to change our attitudes towards these beautiful animals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Oh, man !!! That surely is some snake. Anaconda ?
That is an Anaconda. And a giant one too. I'm sure it was more than 10 feet.
Old 16th March 2011, 22:56   #455
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbender View Post
Thought this would be an interesting read:

Snake dies after biting silicone breast - Trends News - IBNLive
Well just do a google search to watch the entire video. I doubt she was a model though. Its a hilarious watch!
Old 17th March 2011, 13:35   #456
Senior - BHPian

Just now on the news on a Mallu channel, there was this RajaVembala (King Cobra) found on top of a tree at Chalakudy. A big crowd gathers around the tree, fire personnel try to bring the snake down, finally managed to make it drop to the ground. A snake-handler captures the snake and it is released in the wild. It was big - 7 feet or so.
Old 21st March 2011, 17:58   #457
Senior - BHPian

@Cenez - That's awesome snaps of a huge Anaconda, so sorry that you missed the action part.

I think in India the mentality of killing the snakes are changing now and people have started realizing their value. Ex - is the incident quoted by supremeBaleno in Kerala.
Old 3rd May 2011, 19:22   #458
BHPian

I reside in the Medavakkam area near Tambaram. I have seen quite a few snakes in my house compound as well as in the neighborhood. Once, I even found a snake inside my house. My parents spotted a king cobra (about 8 feet) in my house compound a few times. Indian cobras are a frequent visitors in my neighborhood. I even lost one of my dogs to a cobra while he was trying to protect my dad. There are children in the neighborhood and it is becoming a real threat with all these snakes showing up.
I did a Google search to find whom to contact but ended without any luck. Can anyone let me know whom should I contact to report this and do a complete search in the entire neighborhood?
Old 4th May 2011, 05:36   #459
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayguar View Post
I reside in the Medavakkam area near Tambaram. I have seen quite a few snakes in my house compound as well as in the neighborhood. Once, I even found a snake inside my house. My parents spotted a king cobra (about 8 feet) in my house compound a few times. Indian cobras are a frequent visitors in my neighborhood. I even lost one of my dogs to a cobra while he was trying to protect my dad. There are children in the neighborhood and it is becoming a real threat with all these snakes showing up.
I did a Google search to find whom to contact but ended without any luck. Can anyone let me know whom should I contact to report this and do a complete search in the entire neighborhood?
Go to guindy snake park and talk to them they will give you the details of the rescuers in your area, if this does not help go to croc bank and look for Rom(may be out of chennai) or nikhil(roms son) tell him your issue and they will point you to the right direction. Seriously king cobra in chennai? its impossible, they cannot survive in such climates.

Pramod
pramodkumar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th May 2011, 19:55   #460
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
Go to guindy snake park and talk to them they will give you the details of the rescuers in your area, if this does not help go to croc bank and look for Rom(may be out of chennai) or nikhil(roms son) tell him your issue and they will point you to the right direction. Seriously king cobra in chennai? its impossible, they cannot survive in such climates.

Pramod
Thanks a lot for the information. I'll try to contact them as early as possible. As for the king cobra, it stood up higher than the compound wall (6 feet) when my dogs were trying to corner it. Somehow the snake escaped. My mom did not know it was a king cobra until she watched one on tv. My mom spotted the snake when it was moving near the trees. My dad realized it was a king cobra once it stood up so high. This happened about two years back. They have not spotted a king cobra since then. But there have been lots of cobras visiting my compound and the neighborhood. Last weekend alone 3 snakes visited my compound. The first one was a garden snake, don't know what the second snake was (doubted it to be a rat snake, not sure though) and third was a cobra.
Old 7th May 2011, 18:50   #461
Team-BHP Support

Just found this in one of the bathrooms in my Manipal home. Currently waiting for the snake catcher to arrive. Since it is in closed area, I am not trying anything myself. Better let the pro deal with it.

I am not able to make out which snake it is, it coiled up and made loud hissing sound when I first tried to lift it with a long stick. I gave up at the point.

Snakes!-p5070755.jpg
Samurai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th May 2011, 20:23   #462
Senior - BHPian

HOLY COW!!! So any news?? Has the snake catcher arrived??
Old 7th May 2011, 22:03   #463
Team-BHP Support

Turned out to be just a rat snake. The snake catcher just walked up and picked it up.

Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2011, 22:57   #464
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Turned out to be just a rat snake. The snake catcher just walked up and picked it up.

YouTube - Snake catcher picks up the rat snake

you seriously need a Chinese cook (the made in china kind not the local variety!) . That would be one happy cook!
Old 7th May 2011, 23:01   #465
BHPian

Appears like a checkered keelback, non venomous snake.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks