Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2013, 20:24   #541
BHPian

Re: Snakes!

wow that's a big one, and sure yes it will be gone over night.

stay at least 10 feet clear of the head.

that sleepy looking python can jump 5 to 6 feet from its current position and easily 4 feet off the ground and I have seen them do it successively when threatened.

their bits 'may' be nonvenomous but the 100 reverse pointing teeth can rip off thigh of a fully grown man and then the bacteria...
ajitkumarlb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2013, 20:28   #542
Senior - BHPian

There is absolutely no danger with the python and like your friend mentioned, just let him be. He will be gone by the morning. If you have security, just ask them to make sure, no one disturbs or hurts it.

Moving snakes out of its existing habitat is going to create more issues, for the snake as well as for you. For ex: A rat snake takes care of rodents around your office/yard. Removing it can cause two issues. An increase in rodents or a new snake in your yard, possibly a venomous one.
Old 6th December 2013, 20:39   #543
Team-BHP Support

My office grounds is practically a jungle. It has lots of snakes, peacocks, monitor lizards and other rodents. This is the second python in two years.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ex...ml#post2595319
Old 6th December 2013, 23:46   #544
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
My office has so many python programmers, especially girls. But when a python crawled into our office grounds today evening, not one of them wanted to get hands on... what a shame.
Sir, you're the big boss - you can lead by example.

jokes apart, this is a BIG one. You live in an interesting place!
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2013, 00:14   #545
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

It appears to be well fed, going by the girth at the stomach.

]

Looks like a huge one. Should have taken the pic from a distance so that we could get the idea of the size. As long as they are non venomous species like pythons, having them around shouldn't be a worry. However I think it could pose a risk to dogs etc. Same with children if they are around. Hope it is not so.

BTW tomorrow morning I think you should have a session of - Samurai's workshop on Hands-On training with Python :P
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2013, 00:22   #546
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Sir, you're the big boss - you can lead by example.
Unfortunately, I don't know python, I am a C++ guy.
Samurai is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th December 2013, 00:56   #547
Distinguished - BHPian

Some people learn through theory and practice, while others learn by experience. So I think you have enough experience dealing with pythons. :P

Jokes apart how do you manage to get into your Jeep with confidence? I would have freaked out if I ever found one resting in the backseat. Is the jeep safe enough to prevent a snake or reptile from getting inside?

Last edited by audioholic : 7th December 2013 at 00:58.
Old 7th December 2013, 07:05   #548
Senior - BHPian

^^^While pythons are rare (when seen, they are usually washed along from higher terrain with the flood water), rat-snakes / cobras / vipers are pretty common where we live in Kerala.
And since our garage is located a bit away from the home, I am always a bit hesitant to get into the car at night (though it is fully closed unlike a Jeep) and always feel that when I plonk myself onto the driver's seat, it might be onto a curled reptile. So, yeah, I would freak out if instead we had an open jeep.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 7th December 2013 at 07:07.
supremeBaleno is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2013, 08:24   #549
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Jokes apart how do you manage to get into your Jeep with confidence? I would have freaked out if I ever found one resting in the backseat. Is the jeep safe enough to prevent a snake or reptile from getting inside?
For nearly 5 years, I had a doorless Jeep, which is not the case now. But it is not a rational fear. Among common Indian snakes, rat snake is the only one that climbs on tall structures. Probability of a venomous snake climbing into a Jeep is very low.
Old 7th December 2013, 23:51   #550
BHPian

Great thread! I have not noticed this thread before. This forum is treasure trove. Took my time to go through all the pages. Snakes are scary, creepy creatures but I'm always fascinated looking at them.

By the way, for those adventurous off-road folks, why not have some tools handy? Of course it's not wise to try to be a hero without knowing what you are dealing with. But if you are caught in a desperate situation with no help around, you could have been equipped to overcome the situation safely.

I see ebay is loaded with snake catching tools - search terms like snake tongs, snake hooks, snake grabbers shows many results. For example, http://www.ebay.com/sch/Reptile-Supp...kw=snake+tongs

May be someone experienced can guide, how to decide the best tool. I don't think the longest stick is the best one. It probably depends on how you use it. From my Nat Geo, Discovery experience I have never noticed anybody use both hands to handle the tongs. I don't know if it's just common sense that using both hands could put pressure on the tongs and hurt the poor creature or it's more safe to use one hand on the tong and one to hold the tail. Or is it because the tongs won't support the weight of adult heavier snakes?

Could be interesting to discuss this too. Tongs or hooks? Which one for what? Where to hold the snake when using the tools? Near the head or mid-section? What's the theory behind handling?
Old 9th December 2013, 16:39   #551
BHPian

Please be careful with snakes both for the safety of self and especially of the snake.

Their spines are delicate and can easily break if not handled properly.
Also they very flexible and agile resulting in bites.

I would advice against any DIY or treating it as an adventure.

If one is keen on learning how to handle snakes it is best to get trained by professionals.

Kalinga Centre for Rainforest Ecology conducts such training.

https://www.facebook.com/KaalingaCRE?ref=profile
http://www.rainforestecology.com/
Old 16th December 2013, 18:04   #552
Senior - BHPian

I have nothing to do with 4x4, but the topic of snakes and what to do in case of a bite is still relevant for me.
Where I stay, there are snakes inside the society campus.
In fact, we have caught really small baby snakes (black ones) inside our house twice.
The link to the first aid kit on Amazon is for a product which has not received good reviews.
So, can someone point to some easy to use kits which can buy more time to reach a medical center?
Old 16th December 2013, 18:24   #553
Team-BHP Support

One of the member of Udupi Offroaders is an expert snake handler. He is a Civil Engineer by profession, but snakes and offroading are his hobby. He is the guy I called when I found the big python in my office.

He was recently felicitated for his long service towards protecting snakes, he was given the title "Snake Protector" by a Wildlife NGO.

Snakes!-1486750_589380871115514_964881221_n.jpg
Old 8th April 2014, 12:47   #554
Team-BHP Support

Funny to see mine was the last post. This time there was some action involving the same guy.

Today morning some of staff noticed a small snake trying to come out of the conference room, but the tail was stuck in the door. By the time I arrived at office they had managed to transport it out of the office using a pipe. Upon arrival I noticed it was not a rat snake. But a marginally triangular head made me suspect it could be a pit viper.

Many of my staff wanted to kill it, especially the religious ones who offer milk to cobras on Nagara Panchmi. I used my veto power to deny the kill request, and called my snake rescuer friend.

So I called the friend I mentioned in the last post. He came within 30 minutes with his snake catching stick, all excited to catch a viper. However, moment he saw it, he was disappointed, and just picked it up with his hand. It turned out be common Kukri, a snake I was not familiar with. When it was discovered it was only Kukri, all the ones who wanted to kill it were trying to hide behind others.

Snakes!-p4080009.jpg

Then he offered people to hold it. Only one girl in our office had the guts to do it.

Snakes!-p4080008.jpg

Then he noticed it was quite agitated, and even a bit injured. That was because of the conference room door. He decided it must be really thirsty, and he took it to water. It drank water for a long time.

Snakes!-p4080018.jpg

The hobbyist snake rescuer Harish Kumar.

Snakes!-p4080024.jpg

His offroading Jeep is aptly called Rescuer!

Snakes!-p4080026.jpg
Samurai is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 8th April 2014, 14:14   #555
BHPian

Quote:
His offroading Jeep is aptly called Rescuer!
I am sure somewhere on that Jeep there is sticker that reads 'got snakes?', instead of 'got bhp?'
Bubby is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks