Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2016, 15:37   #631
Senior - BHPian

Re: Snakes!

An office colleague was on his way to work on a bike today morning. On Old Airport Road, a snake popped out it's hood from the headlight cover.

He stopped immediately and there were several onlookers. A car with a t-bhp sticker also stopped . The driver caught hold of the snake by it's neck and dropped it on the boundary of the airport wall - thanks to the bhp-ian for helping out , apparently he was familiar with wildlife.

Several people had gathered and a local reporter also arrived. The snake was about 2 ft long and would've found shelter in the bike at his place where it was parked overnight. He's still perplexed as to how a 2ft snake could hide in the headlight cover.

Quite scary. Can snakes enter the cabin of a car ? Or the boot ? Through a/c vents ? A rat once died inside the a/c vent of a friend's santro .
sdp1975 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th August 2016, 20:45   #632
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post

Quite scary. Can snakes enter the cabin of a car ? Or the boot ? Through a/c vents ? A rat once died inside the a/c vent of a friend's santro .
That's quite a scary experience for your colleague, it is quite common for snakes to hide in dark and moist places. It could have very well hid in the wiring behind the housing.

Snakes are quite capable of getting into the car via vents. Depends on a lot of factors though, if they're searching for food or shelter. Also depends on the type of snake.

By any chance were you able to find out which snake it was ?
Old 31st August 2016, 09:33   #633
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakunabatata View Post
By any chance were you able to find out which snake it was ?
No idea on what snake it was , unfortunately. The person who caught it was of the opinion that it was venomous.
Old 1st September 2016, 18:18   #634
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975
An office colleague was on his way to work on a bike today morning. On Old Airport Road, a snake popped out it's hood from the headlight cover.
With a bike that stays parked most of the time (used only once a week max) and in a place (KL) that has its fair share of snakes, this is one of my major fears when I take out the CBR for the once-in-a-week ride.
Nothing untoward till date. And I hope it stays that way - won't be fun to have a snake pop out mid-ride, even if it is a harmless rat snake.
Old 1st September 2016, 18:36   #635
BHPian

This one was spotted in my neighbor's garden last week. Can someone help with the identification? Is it venomous?

The snake was let go without any harm but my neighbor wants to know if it is venomous or not.
Attached Thumbnails
Snakes!-20160822photo00000725.jpg  

the_skyliner is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2016, 02:14   #636
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_skyliner View Post
This one was spotted in my neighbor's garden last week. Can someone help with the identification? Is it venomous?

The snake was let go without any harm but my neighbor wants to know if it is venomous or not.
Pretty sure it's a trinket snake. It's not a venomous snake. Usually feeds on lizards and frogs and is relatively harmless.

Glad to know it wasn't harmed. It's the paranoia people have towards snakes that causes some unfortunate ones to lose their life for no fault of theirs.
hakunabatata is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th October 2016, 11:43   #637
Senior - BHPian

For those in Chennai, a visit to the snake venom extraction centre inside the Madras Crocodile Bank is a must-do. They have there all the 4 snakes that constitute the Big Four of India (the 4 venomous snakes in India that between them cause the most snake-bite fatalities in India). And expert staff (from the Irula snake-catching community) who are glad to explain any doubts we have. Take your children along too so that they have some idea about snakes, venomous vs non-venomous, the physical characteristics to identify the Big Four snakes, how venom is extracted etc.

I have been to MCB many times in the past, but a visit last month was eye-opening in many ways as we spent most of our time in the park focussing on the Big 4 snakes. While the visit was intended for my kids (9 & 5 years old), me & wifey also ended up benefitting big time from the visit.

Of the big four, the most commonly seen snake in our part of Kerala is the saw-scaled viper. The ones I have seen were thin and small - not more than 2 - 3 feet long. I had all along assumed that these were juvenile vipers and adult ones grow much bigger. To my surprise, the staff said that this is the max size they grow to.

And the hiss of the Russells viper is just so frightening. Even more shrill than the Cobra's.
And to know that of the 4, the most dangerous is the dimunitive looking krait - one needs medical attention within an hour of getting bitten.

The kids can now reel off the big 4 snakes and their individual characteristics. Worth the time spent.
supremeBaleno is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 1st November 2016, 23:21   #638
Senior - BHPian

Imagine getting a WhatsApp video about a snake underneath a car and you find out its your car!

One of our community WhatsApp group members sent us this video and I had the 'thrill' of seeing a cobra(?) dancing underneath my Xcent. This had happened in the morning and I had taken out the car in the evening.

Since this is a big apartment complex, lots of discussion on how to get rid of snakes - lots of bush and junk clearing happening around our campus and the rains seems to have driven snakes into our campus. A couple of days ago a rat snake was killed. Several snakes have been sighted around the buildings.

Any thoughts on how to prevent snakes from getting into a car? Also thoughts on how to get rid of a possible large scale snake situation in our campus? Thers about 200 homes in 3 large 9-storeyed buildings.

Last edited by Rehaan : 3rd November 2016 at 16:33. Reason: Adding some paragraph spaces...
BenjiRoss is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th November 2016, 19:47   #639
BHPian

Here is a snake we found at our village home. It had different patterns in different halves of its body. I am not sure what type of snake it is so would be happy to hear about that.
Attached Thumbnails
Snakes!-snake.jpg  

puntOOs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th November 2016, 10:57   #640
BHPian

My friend had this visitor this morning in his laundry bag. His maid heard a hissing sound while sweeping. They took the bag out and then found this. Looking at the hood it looks like a cobra!!
Attached Thumbnails
Snakes!-img20161119wa0000.jpg  

shifu is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th November 2016, 11:11   #641
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifu View Post
My friend had this visitor this morning in his laundry bag. His maid heard a hissing sound while sweeping. They took the bag out and then found this. Looking at the hood it looks like a cobra!!
Very clearly a member of the Indian Spectacled Cobra species.
Highly poisonous but they are much more frightened of us than we are, of them.

I sincerely hope you let the poor chap off into the garden or similar wooded area so that he can continue his life journey.

I really hope he wasn't killed.
shankar.balan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th November 2016, 11:46   #642
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I sincerely hope you let the poor chap off into the garden or similar wooded area so that he can continue his life journey.

I really hope he wasn't killed.
Yup, it was not killed but let go. The house's windows were tightly shut, not sure how it got in. Are they good in climbing trees or walls?
Old 19th November 2016, 14:18   #643
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by puntOOs View Post
Here is a snake we found at our village home. It had different patterns in different halves of its body. I am not sure what type of snake it is so would be happy to hear about that.
This is a rat snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifu View Post
This looks like a baby cobra. Glad to know it was let off. The picture looks nice😊
addyhemmige is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th January 2017, 09:53   #644
Team-BHP Support

Thank you to KPS for sharing this video!

Seems like an Indian Python got stuck in the engine bay and was having a difficult time getting out...
Omkar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th January 2017, 13:00   #645
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omkar View Post
Seems like an Indian Python got stuck in the engine bay and was having a difficult time getting out...
Was the snake even alive after such ruthless manhandling (if I may call it that way). They way the guy was pulling it, I felt it would snap. Even if the poor reptile was alive, it going to be in lot of pain for sure (internal injuries?) :(
centaur is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks