Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 19th January 2009, 16:03   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuraliR
a thread like this will gain the required mileage with photos. here are a few from my end.
Man, that sure is scary. Not something that I would like to see either at my office or home.

BTW, what is the story behind these snaps ?
Old 19th January 2009, 16:12   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Man, that sure is scary. Not something that I would like to see either at my office or home.

BTW, what is the story behind these snaps ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
@Murali : Jeez thats a first , a tech savvy snake . Might have come to eat the "mouse"
that was at my office warehouse - this lucky charm decided to enter on the day of "Akshaya Tritiya", and entertain us for close to an hour refusing to go out - finally caught by famous Snake Anees' team member and released into Bannerghatta zoo.

the best part of this episode was that the Cobra (am told is was approx 2 year baby) was hissing to all glory - supposedly scared and hungry - and my near and dear wanted us to give it milk - since it had come on an auspicious day.
MuraliR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th January 2009, 16:12   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Actually there are only 4 major species of venomous snakes in India. I read this from Romulus Whitaker's (Madras Snake Park) book when I was 15. Armed with the knowledge from this book, I was able to confront my granny regarding various snake mumbo-jumbo which is considered conventional wisdom.

The 4 major types are Cobra, King Cobra, Krait & Viper. There are no other venomous snakes in India. It is easy to recognize the first two. The remaining two takes some practice and sightings. The krait usually has bands, the viper generally has triangular head.
Hey Samurai do you have the book with you? IT been out of production for some time now. Capt Ashok and Rom are coming out with an updated version of the book soon. Have you been to the Agumbe Rainforest Research Station?Its an awesome place. I really envy you for staying so close to such a magnificent place.
Old 19th January 2009, 16:19   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuraliR View Post

the best part of this episode was that the Cobra (am told is was approx 2 year baby) was hissing to all glory - supposedly scared and hungry - and my near and dear wanted us to give it milk - since it had come on an auspicious day.
Snakes hate drinking milk.

@muraliR: Buddy please dont feel bad. I dint get any other words to put it in.I know it sounded a bit harsh

Last edited by princezahed : 19th January 2009 at 16:38. Reason: Extra message added
Old 19th January 2009, 16:23   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by princezahed View Post
Snakes hate drinking milk
sir, perfectly understand - i was already OT, just wanted to add to the drama - and did not touch upon the "not drinking milk" part since this thread might have got moved to the Shifting Gears section.
Old 19th January 2009, 16:34   #36
BHPian

Hey Murali,
Is that your manager???

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuraliR View Post
pardon me for going OT.
but a thread like this will gain the required mileage with photos.

here are a few from my end.
santhosh_kumard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2009, 16:42   #37
Senior - BHPian

Santosh, Thats a good one!!
I am sure Murali can do away with Managers like that!! Very CREEPY!!
Old 19th January 2009, 16:49   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by getsurya View Post
Santosh, Thats a good one!!
I am sure Murali can do away with Managers like that!! Very CREEPY!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by santhosh_kumard View Post
Hey Murali,
Is that your manager???
well, if you are referring to the place "it" is occupying, then it belongs to my office assistant.
naah! i cannot do away with him - we are all too dependent on him (the assistant, i mean.)

Yes, am okay with the tone, and do not take it in an offending manner.

Last edited by MuraliR : 19th January 2009 at 16:54.
Old 19th January 2009, 16:52   #39
Senior - BHPian

Murali,
All in good humour!! No offences meant!
Old 19th January 2009, 17:14   #40
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hey Samurai do you have the book with you? IT been out of production for some time now. Capt Ashok and Rom are coming out with an updated version of the book soon.
I bought it in highschool, early 80s. It must be there in my brother's house in Bangalore.
Old 19th January 2009, 18:25   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by team suzuki View Post
Man thats really scary,this thread reminds when i ran over a snake with my sx4 in karnataka forest and got some slimy liquid all over my tyre,which i think was its poison.
Hee hee !! Its not poison, its venom. Sorry for splitting hairs but just wanted to straighten out the facts.
Old 19th January 2009, 18:39   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Snakes hate drinking milk.
I have seen Indian sadhus with King Cobras drapped around their necks, fully unfettered, drinking milk from a bowl offered to them.
No, I am not kidding.
Old 19th January 2009, 18:46   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
I have seen Indian sadhus with King Cobras drapped around their necks, fully unfettered, drinking milk from a bowl offered to them.
No, I am not kidding.
I have seen that too. People offering milk and the snake drinking it.

I dont intend to dispute the fact of snakes hating to drink milk (I saw that in Discovery, I think) but in reality, some of them do??? may be the indian ones???
Old 19th January 2009, 18:48   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai
Actually there are only 4 major species of venomous snakes in India. The 4 major types are Cobra, King Cobra, Krait & Viper. It is easy to recognize the first two. The remaining two takes some practice and sightings. The krait usually has bands, the viper generally has triangular head.
Yes, almost all of us would be able to make out a cobra/kingCobra, but making out a krait or viper from a harmless snake is the tough part. Would be good if the snake experts on the forum can post some pics of the krait/viper for the benefit of the rest of us.

In all my years at Chennai, I don't remember sighting even a single snake - venomous or otherwise. But they are pretty common back home in Kerala and unless they are the common rat-snake (called Chera in Malayalam), the norm is to kill them.

My latest encounter was a few weeks ago. We have a banana plantation in our backyard and I am standing there having a post-lunch smoke, when I hear a twig crumble behind me. Instinctively I turn around to see a snake just 3-4 feet behind me looking at me. It is black in colour and would be like a metre long and say a couple of inches thick. To say that I am scared would be an understatement - I am kind of frozen not knowing what to do. Fortunately, the snake thinks I am not worth the trouble and slithers away into the water-filled paddy fields bordering our land.

I tell this to my parents and they dismissively say that it must be just a Chera or watersnake. Ofcourse since I dont know how to make out a viper or krait, I have no way of knowing what snake it was.
Old 19th January 2009, 18:55   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by team suzuki View Post
Man thats really scary,this thread reminds when i ran over a snake with my sx4 in karnataka forest and got some slimy liquid all over my tyre,which i think was its poison.
IIRC - the poision is created only in the fangs and the sacs - so if you run over the snake you might end up getting blood on the tyres.

Most Viewed