Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd January 2009, 02:14   #91
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by f450
In the first picture, are the snakes mating? (serious question)
I thought snakes dont mate with wooden branches
This wasnt the pic I took, it was taken from another album. And when I was shooting the snakes were not mating (why would I do that man)

The second picture seems to be taken in Kerala, from the photographers mouth. Lets forget about the snake, what if the person holding gets tired! Look at his left leg, hes almost on his toes.

Last edited by Rocky_Balboa : 22nd January 2009 at 02:16.
Old 22nd January 2009, 02:22   #92
BHPian

should be some weird mating and the second one looks like it's helium (jus kiddin!)
Old 22nd January 2009, 12:07   #93
Senior - BHPian

i think its a King Cobra??
Old 22nd January 2009, 12:20   #94
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram18 View Post
It's one of the most common sites for snakebites, so tough shoes are definitely safer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aburagohain View Post
loose fit tough fabric pants are a help, the ends clipped and tucked into a good pair of army style boots would help against many of the creatures often encountered walking in the jungles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by princezahed View Post
Its always advisable to wear long gum boots with the trousers tucked into them. Legs are the most common place for a snake bit to occur apart from the hands.
Thanks! So gum boots or army style boots are okay? What about Doc Martins / Catepillar (both thick leather) Gum / Army style boots are awfully hard on the feet. Also, is a 12 inch boot height good enough?

Quote:
what we used to do was to pour some turpentine oil on the boots as well
Great tip.
Old 22nd January 2009, 12:42   #95

Snake on cousins Swift

I know the Swift isn't a 4x4 but this happened on my cousins swift in Mumbai. They drove out of a mall and suddenly this popped out from under the hood. My bro in law clicked pics while my cousin was screaming.
Attached Thumbnails
Snakes!-snake1.jpg  

Snakes!-snake2.jpg  

Snakes!-snake3.jpg  

Snakes!-snake4.jpg  

Snakes!-snake5.jpg  

vizard is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2009, 13:33   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by f450 View Post

In the second one, that snake is HUGE!! What happens if it gets tired of being upright, and lets its head fall, thereby swinging it towards the person's leg (or worse) and it bites? Dangerous way to hold a snake that big, if you ask me, even if it makes for a great photo!
Thats the King Cobra. It can grow upto 15 feet in length and is the worlds largest venomous snake. The toxicity of its venom is mild,but the quantity of venom it pumps in 1 bite is enough to kill a large elephant. Not much was known about the behaviour of Kings,until now after research has started at the ARRS to get to know them better. Kings are amazing creatures. And ya, they eat only other smaller snakes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky_Balboa View Post
I thought snakes dont mate with wooden branches
This wasnt the pic I took, it was taken from another album. And when I was shooting the snakes were not mating (why would I do that man)

The second picture seems to be taken in Kerala, from the photographers mouth. Lets forget about the snake, what if the person holding gets tired! Look at his left leg, hes almost on his toes.
I guess you posted the wrong pic.

The second picture was taken in singapore,not kerala. That King Cobra is rumoured to be the longest one in captivity at about 16 or 18feet. Dont remember exactly.
Old 22nd January 2009, 13:38   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Thanks! So gum boots or army style boots are okay? What about Doc Martins / Catepillar (both thick leather) Gum / Army style boots are awfully hard on the feet. Also, is a 12 inch boot height good enough?
Dunno about the other type of boots. I use a pair which is very light and makes walking very easy. Its made by a company called Diamond. Cost me about 300/pair after bargaining. They are about a foot high and good enough to wade through most slush and unknown regions here in coorg. Samurai would vouch for them. He was surprised at the weightlessness of my gum boots when he came to coorg for the Great Escape.
Old 22nd January 2009, 13:52   #98
BHPian

Oh man I thought this post was about Mustang Cobras haha.

I have encountered snakes when off-roading but if anything I consider my presence an intrusion. Snakes do us a favor by keeping mice (damn pests) in check so I respect them very much. It must be hard not having any limbs!
Attached Thumbnails
Snakes!-10shelbygt500_04_hr1280.jpg  

Snakes!-10shelbygt500_11_hr1280.jpg  

Atlblkz06 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2009, 15:25   #99
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by princezahed View Post
Dunno about the other type of boots. I use a pair which is very light and makes walking very easy. Its made by a company called Diamond. Cost me about 300/pair after bargaining. They are about a foot high and good enough to wade through most slush and unknown regions here in coorg. Samurai would vouch for them. He was surprised at the weightlessness of my gum boots when he came to coorg for the Great Escape.
Impressed enough to throw away my pair and buy new pairs for wife and I. They are extremely light, it is just unbelievable.
Old 22nd January 2009, 15:30   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Impressed enough to throw away my pair and buy new pairs for wife and I. They are extremely light, it is just unbelievable.
You actually did that? Dint know. Are they holding up well?
Old 22nd January 2009, 15:34   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vizard
I know the Swift isn't a 4x4 but this happened on my cousins swift in Mumbai. They drove out of a mall and suddenly this popped out from under the hood.
God, that must have freaked out the guys in the car. How come a snake in a mall ? Where did it come from ? Or was it in the car bonnet itself and just decided to come out for that wind-in-your-face feel ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vizard
My bro in law clicked pics while my cousin was screaming.
Your BIL was clicking, cousin was screaming. So, who was driving ?

Experts, what kind of snake is it on the Swift windshield ?

BTW, in related news it seems a snake is bringing traffic to a standstill in Chennai - somewhere on TTK road Alwarpet. As per today's TOI, this snake (5 feet long) has made a hollow in a tall tree on the roadside its home. Few times during the day, it comes out of the hollow giving a glimpse to the world and making a couple of residents (parrots) of the same apartment (tree) the jitters. The mad cries of the parrots gets the attention of commuters who park all over the road to see the snake.

It seems firemen tried to flush out the snake using heavy pressure water, but did not work.
Old 22nd January 2009, 16:07   #102
Senior - BHPian

The snake on the swift looks like a harmless grass snake. I am not sure though as I am no expert on snakes. I have seen plenty of these during the construction of our new factory.

Edit: Never seen one this big though.

Last edited by vikram_d : 22nd January 2009 at 16:08.
Old 22nd January 2009, 16:12   #103
BHPian

@princezahed
are these boots available in bangalore please? has been a long long time wearing those, takes me back to the golden days spent in college, not studying that is the price is really inviting, highly tempted to carry a pair in the back of the vehicle though opportunities would be hard to come by to step out in.

just be sure to give a good shake to the boots before putting them on, there's a quite good probability that the things one is wearing the boots for may already be sleeping comfortably inside!
Old 22nd January 2009, 16:14   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
The snake on the swift looks like a harmless grass snake. I am not sure though as I am no expert on snakes. I have seen plenty of these during the construction of our new factory.

Edit: Never seen one this big though.
that is a rat snake.Its very common all over india. It can grow upto 2meters long and is often mistaken for a cobra due to its coloration.
Old 22nd January 2009, 16:19   #105
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Zahed, now I know what it actually is. Still keep seeing these creatures once in a while. Sadly those occasions are decreasing in number now.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks