Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 11th February 2010, 14:31   #301
BHPian

Clevermax, What did you do that Chera ?(rat snake)
Old 11th February 2010, 15:04   #302
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonewithwind View Post
Hope didnt eat as i heard Chera fry is good and similar to fish?

Raj
Old 11th February 2010, 16:35   #303
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonewithwind View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajachu View Post
Hope didnt eat as i heard Chera fry is good and similar to fish?
Raj
You have to ask this to pramod - he took the chera in a small sack from my house. Hope he has released it in some appropriate habitat.

Moreover, I don't eat any non-veg food except chicken so I won't eat Chera especially if it is like fish as Raj said
Old 11th February 2010, 22:26   #304
BHPian

@Pramod: I noticed 2things. 1 is you look very similar to a good friend of mine back in bangalore. 2nd) why dint you hold it by the neck. It would have given you a better grip Iam sure the snake thrashed around a lot in your hand.
Old 12th February 2010, 00:15   #305
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
You have to ask this to pramod
I SMSed you yesterday about the release spot, i released it 70 kms away from my home, near adventure park kollam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by princezahed View Post
@Pramod: I noticed 2things. 1 is you look very similar to a good friend of mine back in bangalore.

Quote:
2nd) why dint you hold it by the neck. It would have given you a better grip Iam sure the snake thrashed around a lot in your hand.
Snakes have delicate ribcages, holding them by neck is actually hurting them a bit, since rat snakes are non venomous and little less aggressive its always better to let them move in your hands and always ensure you do not restrict their movements. in case of an aggressive/ venomous snake you have to adapt different techniques,

in the pic i just grabbed a running snake off the ground(i have some mud on my hand), these pics were taken immediately before i could completely control the snake, the best way to grab a snake is always by the mid body just above the anus as they also drop their tails like lizards to run away.

Pramod
Old 12th February 2010, 11:46   #306
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post

Snakes have delicate ribcages, holding them by neck is actually hurting them a bit, since rat snakes are non venomous and little less aggressive its always better to let them move in your hands and always ensure you do not restrict their movements. in case of an aggressive/ venomous snake you have to adapt different techniques,

in the pic i just grabbed a running snake off the ground(i have some mud on my hand), these pics were taken immediately before i could completely control the snake, the best way to grab a snake is always by the mid body just above the anus as they also drop their tails like lizards to run away.

Pramod
I know they have delicate ribcages but holding them by the neck does not hurt them as we think. It is better to hold it by the neck than let it thrash around, which causes it more stress.

And no, snakes DO NOT drop their tails like lizards. It is a misconception. A snake's reproductive parts ( hemipenes in males and cloaca in females) are situated in the tail section, how can it just loose its reproductive parts by dropping its tail?
Old 12th February 2010, 12:04   #307
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I know they have delicate ribcages but holding them by the neck does not hurt them as we think. It is better to hold it by the neck than let it thrash around, which causes it more stress.
Look when a snake tries to free itself its quite obvious that we tighten our grip, you might block its wind pipe or worst break couple of nect vertibreys or ribs, so its always better to let a non venomous snake move arround, causing them less stress. A rat snake shich is very fast initially will slow dow and start xploring you, then you dont have to even hold it.

Quote:
And no, snakes DO NOT drop their tails like lizards. It is a misconception. A snake's reproductive parts ( hemipenes in males and cloaca in females) are situated in the tail section, how can it just loose its reproductive parts by dropping its tail?
Prince, this is based on experience and not by books, i have seen a checkerd dropping its tail after it did the death role in my hands when i tried pulling it from between 2 rocks by the tail, by tail i always mean the end not the part near the anus, The reproductive organs are located near the anus, and if you know the gender of a snake is determined by inserting a small cylendrical object like a refill or a straw depending the size of the snake, If its a male the probe goes in deeper and female if it dosent go much deep.

All reptiles are alike and share many similar traits, If you know snakes are related to lizards very closely and dropping off its tail is a contigency mechanism which they retained even though evolution changed them a lot.

The main reason why i am stressing in holding a snake by its mid body rater than the extream end of the tail is because if its a venomous snake you are trying to handle and if it drops its tail then you are in serious risk of getting bitten. These are couple of life saving informations we all should be aware of, I do not consider myself to be know it all, however i make sure whatever is posted here is backed by evidence and experience.

Pramod

Last edited by pramodkumar : 12th February 2010 at 12:18.
Old 12th February 2010, 12:35   #308
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If its a male the probe goes in deeper and female if it dosent go much deep.
I've to say this very much unlike Mammals
Old 13th February 2010, 10:39   #309
BHPian

Quote:
Look when a snake tries to free itself its quite obvious that we tighten our grip, you might block its wind pipe or worst break couple of nect vertibreys or ribs, so its always better to let a non venomous snake move arround, causing them less stress. A rat snake shich is very fast initially will slow dow and start xploring you, then you dont have to even hold it.

Prince, this is based on experience and not by books, i have seen a checkerd dropping its tail after it did the death role in my hands when i tried pulling it from between 2 rocks by the tail, by tail i always mean the end not the part near the anus, The reproductive organs are located near the anus, and if you know the gender of a snake is determined by inserting a small cylendrical object like a refill or a straw depending the size of the snake, If its a male the probe goes in deeper and female if it dosent go much deep.

All reptiles are alike and share many similar traits, If you know snakes are related to lizards very closely and dropping off its tail is a contigency mechanism which they retained even though evolution changed them a lot.

The main reason why i am stressing in holding a snake by its mid body rater than the extream end of the tail is because if its a venomous snake you are trying to handle and if it drops its tail then you are in serious risk of getting bitten. These are couple of life saving informations we all should be aware of, I do not consider myself to be know it all, however i make sure whatever is posted here is backed by evidence and experience.

Pramod
Lets not argue on this buddy. You rescue snakes, do do I. I have never seen any snake drop its tail. The only reason the keelback may have broken its tail was because you let it do the death roll and it was rigidly held in your hand which caused the tail to get cut. Ask any snake expert and he would tell you that a snake does not drop its tail. I do know how the sexing of a snake is done. Infact, try a google search also and see if you find any evidence of a snake dropping its tail. I have 2 specimens of keelbacks at home that we are studying for behavioural observations and let me tell you that they have never broken off their tails when I was handling them.
Old 13th February 2010, 12:59   #310
BHPian

Pramod,even i have not seen or heard on what you said,dropping the tail and never showed any of the NATgeo or Discovery shows so far as iam very closly following these channels especially on snakes.same as holding as i have seen only experts holding in the neck only.every time.however let me meet Anees who is close by my residence and once i spoke to him and he said we can meet some of the eveneings which i could not make it so far.i will try for this asap

Raj
Old 13th February 2010, 21:54   #311
BHPian

Quote:
Pramod,even i have not seen or heard on what you said,dropping the tail and never showed any of the NATgeo or Discovery shows so far as iam very closly following these channels especially on snakes.same as holding as i have seen only experts holding in the neck only.every time.however let me meet Anees who is close by my residence and once i spoke to him and he said we can meet some of the eveneings which i could not make it so far.i will try for this asap

Raj
Exactly. Maybe what Pramod thought to be a checkered keelback was actually a legless lizard which dropped its tail or maybe the tail got cut due to the snake doing the death roll amongst the stones.

Btw Raj u stay in Frazer town? Because Anees stays there. I stay in Benson town, just opposite the tracks.
Old 15th February 2010, 09:22   #312
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Raj
Extreamly sorry guys for passing on a wrong information, all snakes do not let go their tails, however a checkerd keelback does it. I do not read a lot of litrature and my claims are usually backed by experiance, In this case little assumption as well . Let me also start reading some material. The best way to hold any snake is by the neck if you can pin it down properly and then do a perfect head catch, however one mistake can be dangerous, Inexperianced people make mistakes here, simply because snakes usually dont stay calm and to hold it in place people usually tighten their grips, if you use a lot of force you may hurt one, my suggestion is even if hold it by the nect support the mid body.

Quote:
Exactly. Maybe what Pramod thought to be a checkered keelback was actually a legless lizard which dropped its tail or maybe the tail got cut due to the snake doing the death roll amongst the stones.
There were two of them i picked up one and i did not have a bag so it started rolling over and thats when it lost its tail, initially i was freaked thinking that i have hurt the snake, then i called a friend and he said snakes some times do that, and they grow back. I asked him again yesterday, he said only checkerds do that, while i successfully bagged the other one see the pics below

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ex...ml#post1657915

Prince: I can idetify some snakes atleast and definitely can differentiate a snake and a lizzard

Pramod
Old 15th February 2010, 12:37   #313
BHPian

Quote:

Btw Raj u stay in Frazer town? Because Anees stays there. I stay in Benson town, just opposite the tracks.
Yes Prince,iam in Mosque road.i thought ur in coorge.r u in benson town now?
Raj
Old 15th February 2010, 16:25   #314
Senior - BHPian

What is this "death roll" that you guys keep talking about ? And is this specific only to keelbacks ?
Old 15th February 2010, 17:44   #315
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
What is this "death roll" that you guys keep talking about ? And is this specific only to keelbacks ?
A death roll by any snake is a desprate attempt to free it self, its whole body starts rolling from head to tail, the right way should be to compensate the roll by letting its body roll without letting the snake go of your grasp. All snakes do this.

Pramod

Most Viewed