Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 22nd February 2013, 23:08   #511
Senior - BHPian

Re: Snakes!

Quote:
=supremeBaleno;3048153
1) Killing a snake (I guess it must be the rare ones) can mean a case under Wildlife act.
2) The wildlife dept gives a compensation of 1lakh for snake-bite deaths.
3) Bite marks can give an idea of whether the snake is poisonous or not. If it is a venomous snake, there will be 2 incisions, while for non-poisonous snakes, there will be marks in the form of the "Ra" character in Malayalam (shaped like a horseshoe).
Fortunately our wildlife acts are decently ok (yet to iron out big poachers though).
You have to officially report to nearest wildlife office or a ranger within 48 hours of rescuing a snake (and about releasing) if you happen to do so. Not all follow but would be a good thing to start with.

The bite marks story (#3) is not true, I dont think venomous snakes will have exclusive bite marks.

Vava Suresh looks very confident while handling, but at one place, I feel he is bit rough while handling snakes, the way he twisted the tale, he may break the vertebrae. This video also tells you should never take venomous snakes lightly. Wondering why were they tying clothes on his hand? it will stop the blood flow and cause more damage, pressure immobilization should be ideal treatment.
Does anyone know how bad was that bite! What happened next!

Overall, this is an amazing creature, it never wants to bite you unless you want. Most of the snakes species are non-venomous (though we have some venomous species found in good numbers) and can really coexist with humans without any danger, just like lizards, its sad that our society (excluding enlightened ones) lacks awareness, cant differentiate and kills every snake they see.
Ketan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2013, 23:40   #512
Distinguished - BHPian

That was the first time I saw a person handling a king cobra apart from the usual ones on NGC. I think that will he a great risk compared to any other snake, considering the amount of venom, aggressiveness and power of the king. I was shocked when I read that it can raise its hood and strike at a height of more than four feet.

Another thing I have observed is, these local snake catchers tend to play around with the reptile rather than doing their job. Thats clearly visible in the video. Instead of putting the snake into a bag and leaving the place, he does all sorts of circus with it. As obvious even the snake would have got terrified/provoked and hence it will bite at the earliest chance. Same thing was observed in the snake park, mahabalipuram. Those folks host a show, and they just throw around the snakes, right from babies to vipers and cobras. That's certainly not the right thing. No wonder if they get nailed by the snake some day.

Recently, a herpatologist(not sure about the spelling) had come to our college as a part of a nature related programme. He had brought some snakes which he had caught recently. He was very professional in handling the snake, which was a cobra. He clearly took an assurance that the audience wouldn't distract him or make actions and sounds when the snake was out. He removed the snake from the bag, explained what it is, and some key features, as the snake was moving calmly around, with its tail in his hand. He never provoked the snake like what was done in the video. After that, he just put it back in the bag. No drama of any sort. This clearly showed how calm they are when left alone. I forgot his name, but he is doing study on king cobras and also catches snakes as a hobby and releases them in the forest.
audioholic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th February 2013, 12:38   #513
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Another thing I have observed is, these local snake catchers tend to play around with the reptile rather than doing their job. Thats clearly visible in the video. Instead of putting the snake into a bag and leaving the place, he does all sorts of circus with it. As obvious even the snake would have got terrified/provoked and hence it will bite at the earliest chance.

Recently, a herpatologist(not sure about the spelling) had come to our college as a part of a nature related programme. He had brought some snakes which he had caught recently. He was very professional in handling the snake, which was a cobra. He clearly took an assurance that the audience wouldn't distract him or make actions and sounds when the snake was out. He removed the snake from the bag, explained what it is, and some key features, as the snake was moving calmly around, with its tail in his hand. He never provoked the snake like what was done in the video. After that, he just put it back in the bag. No drama of any sort. This clearly showed how calm they are when left alone. I forgot his name, but he is doing study on king cobras and also catches snakes as a hobby and releases them in the forest.
Are you talking about Gowrishankar? He is the one who was part of some NGC documentories, Secrets of the King Cobra, King and I etc.. He is starting his phd on King Cobra ecology soon if my information is correct.
He is very professional, his opinion is to bag the snake asap, even before it gets to know somethings happening, while handling you have to be very gentle to reduce the stress on the animal. I completely agree on not subjecting the animal to stress just to show off or any heroic demonstrations.
Old 25th February 2013, 14:33   #514
BHPian

In my 5 years of trekking experience I have never ever encountered any snake. My bad luck is so bad, the person walking in front of me will see a snake, but not me .
Old 25th February 2013, 15:51   #515
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
After that, he just put it back in the bag. No drama of any sort. This clearly showed how calm they are when left alone. I forgot his name, but he is doing study on king cobras and also catches snakes as a hobby and releases them in the forest.
@ audioholic, the term 'rescues' snakes would be more apt instead of 'catches'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan View Post
Are you talking about Gowrishankar? He is the one who was part of some NGC documentories, Secrets of the King Cobra, King and I etc..
I think it is Gowrishankar. I have met him personally. He really very nice and a very dedicated person. He is the Director (?) of the Agumbe Rainfall Research Station in Agumbe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge_Viper View Post
In my 5 years of trekking experience I have never ever encountered any snake. My bad luck is so bad, the person walking in front of me will see a snake, but not me .
Ha ha ha. Looks like we have the same frustrations. I feel frustrated when I see so many blogs where people post pictures of Vipers found during treks. But I was a bit lucky on one occasion when I found 2 snakes on one trek. One was a Green Vine snake and the other was Indian Shield Tail.

Last edited by addyhemmige : 25th February 2013 at 16:12. Reason: Added quote & comment
Old 25th February 2013, 16:16   #516
BHPian

Quote:
That was the first time I saw a person handling a king cobra apart from the usual ones on NGC.

Another thing I have observed is, these local snake catchers tend to play around with the reptile rather than doing their job. Thats clearly visible in the video. Instead of putting the snake into a bag and leaving the place, he does all sorts of circus with it.

Recently, a herpatologist(not sure about the spelling) had come to our college as a part of a nature related programme..... He removed the snake from the bag, explained what it is, and some key features, as the snake was moving calmly around, with its tail in his hand. He never provoked the snake like what was done in the video. After that, he just put it back in the bag. ... I forgot his name, but he is doing study on king cobras and also catches snakes as a hobby and releases them in the forest.
Quote:
Are you talking about Gowrishankar? He is the one who was part of some NGC documentories, Secrets of the King Cobra, King and I etc.. He is starting his phd on King Cobra ecology soon if my information is correct.
He is very professional, his opinion is to bag the snake asap, even before it gets to know somethings happening, while handling you have to be very gentle to reduce the stress on the animal. I completely agree on not subjecting the animal to stress just to show off or any heroic demonstrations.
Gowrishankar was based in the Agumbe Rainforest Research Station till last year. The center was started by Rom Whittaker (Madras Crocodile Bank) for research on the King Cobra. Eventually the King Cobra project was shelved because the permits issued by the Karnataka Forest Dept expired after 5 years. KFD refused to renew it after 2005. I'm not sure why. I visited ARRS in November last hoping to meet Gowri. Unfortunately, he is not there any more. There are a group of researchers still there but working on various different projects.

It's a good place to go if you like rain forests and snakes. Be ready for friendly leeches though
Old 25th February 2013, 16:45   #517
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodcrawler View Post
Gowrishankar was based in the Agumbe Rainforest Research Station till last year.
Oh, he is not there anymore? Any idea where he is now?
Old 25th February 2013, 17:17   #518
Distinguished - BHPian

Actually I regret not knowing his name. The person I was referring to is a young man who is also researching in Agumbe.
Old 25th February 2013, 17:27   #519
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
He is still around in Agumbe, but keeps hoping between Agumbe and Bangalore. He has started his own research center named Kalinga Center for Rainforest Ecology. Based on the most recent information I have, he is working with a couple of interns from biotech field, setting up his center in Agumbe which can server for further research work, workshops etc. (should be functional in another couple months time I guess).

Yes, Agumbe is a wonderful place, I have been to the place onliy once and had a very good experience during my short visit. Its famous as 'amazon of India'. If you have interest in amphibians/reptiles, its a very good place to find them.
Ketan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2013, 17:43   #520
BHPian

I too remember spotting some vipers and those green tree snakes (dont know what they are called) in Agumbe. Ofcourse, the leeches there were too friendly. They just couldnt stay away from us. A good solution is to carry salt with you. The moment you put salt on those things, they immediately let go.

Quote:
-------------------------
He removed the snake from the bag, explained what it is, and some key features, as the snake was moving calmly around, ---------------
Explaining key features of a snake. Like explaining key features of an automobile. This post can be put up in the 'You know you are addicted to Team-BHP when' thread. Just kidding buddy. Couldnt help posting. Did not mean to offend you in any way man. I myself end up talking like this many a time.
racer_ash is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2013, 18:34   #521
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
Quote:
He is still around in Agumbe, but keeps hoping between Agumbe and Bangalore. He has started his own research center named Kalinga Center for Rainforest Ecology.

... If you have interest in amphibians/reptiles, its a very good place to find them.
If you are interested to know more about Gowri check these links.

The blog is stagnating since November but the Facebook page of Kalinga is active.

Hope this helps. I'll post my snake pics later
woodcrawler is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2013, 13:05   #522
Senior - BHPian

Few snakes that I snapped during a kolam-pidikkal (basically catching fish in a pond / low lying area of fields by emptying out all the water in it either by hand using special hand-slung buckets or using a motor. Are these just harmless snakes or any poisonous ones also in the group ? My local friends when they come across these snakes would just grab them by the tail and throw them away as if it were a piece of string. Each snake in the pics below is a different one.

Snakes!-20121216-11.52.07.jpg

Snakes!-20121216-12.58.57.jpg

Snakes!-20121216-13.00.58.jpg

Snakes!-20121216-13.02.26.jpg
supremeBaleno is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th June 2013, 16:08   #523
Senior - BHPian

Can anyone please ID this snake?

This is found in Hungary by a friend, the place is supposed to have no snakes. They are curious whether this one is poisonous or not.

Snakes!-973682_10151668471816812_881290266_n.jpg
Old 20th June 2013, 00:53   #524
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Can anyone please ID this snake?

This is found in Hungary by a friend, the place is supposed to have no snakes. They are curious whether this one is poisonous or not.
Looks very much like a rat snake. Non venomous. But again, I don't know what all snakes are found in Hungary, so can't say am 100% sure
Old 21st June 2013, 15:07   #525
BHPian

Snake at home

Guys need some urgent info, my friend has caught a cobra at his house in Banaswadi Bangalore and needs some place to release it. Do you guys know anyone who can come and pick it up?

Thanks in advance!

Most Viewed