Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2017, 22:34   #676
BHPian

Re: Snakes!

I'm happy to inform that the snake catcher came and took away the snake. It took only few minutes to catch it.
As per him the age is about 1 year and he says there could be other siblings roaming around. My neighbour saw one yesterday and we thought that this is the same one. I'll have to be careful, usually I don't take lights when taking the car/bike in the evening (sometimes its pitch dark). Need to warn my kid too.
kozhissery is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2017, 22:37   #677
Distinguished - BHPian

Great photo, beautiful snake!

Let an expert take care of it.

Crossposted! Glad to know that you did. The only time we had a snake catcher here, here put the snake in a cotton bag, for release in forest near where he lived... on the bus.

You never know what you might be sitting next to!

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 7th October 2017 at 22:39.
Old 7th October 2017, 23:35   #678
BHPian

Never thought would be posting on this thread.
Spotted this Python on our trail in Tungareshwar. It had eaten something so it wasn't moving.
It must have been 10ft long.
Snakes!-imageuploadedbyteambhp1507399501.208841.jpg

Snakes!-imageuploadedbyteambhp1507399527.181079.jpg
dean5545 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 8th October 2017, 21:36   #679
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kozhissery View Post
I've a cute little visitor in my back yard.
Wow, that's an awesome snap.
How long was it ? Not able to gauge from the photo. Around 4 feet ?
Old 8th October 2017, 22:54   #680
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Wow, that's an awesome snap.
How long was it ? Not able to gauge from the photo. Around 4 feet ?
Quite small, should be around arms length (below 1 meter).

Attached 2 more photos (I think this give the size)

Slithering out after seeing me (or to say hearing me/sensing me)
Snakes!-_dsc7409_1.jpg

That's the hand of the snake catcher
Snakes!-_dsc7418_1.jpg
kozhissery is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 16th November 2017, 10:29   #681
Senior - BHPian

Snakes!

Had this visitor near the hen-coop couple days ago. I first mistook it for a cobra because the head looked flat - later saw it was because it had something in it's mouth - a frog?. Too many variants/colour of the rat-snake around - gets confusing. I hope I identified this correctly as a rat snake.

Since I didn't want to kill a rat-snake, I tried to shoo it away. But it got stuck in the net. Had to cut a part of the net & throw it in the water-logged field. Don't know if it escaped or the turtles / fish / birds in the field ate it. Next day the net was there, but no snake.

Snakes!-imageuploadedbyteambhp1510808220.070435.jpg

The hens didn't seem unduly worried & came close to investigate. 😊
Snakes!-imageuploadedbyteambhp1510808199.393656.jpg

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 16th November 2017 at 10:31.
supremeBaleno is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th November 2017, 16:00   #682
Distinguished - BHPian

We had a visitor yesterday too. It got stuck in a concrete corner at the bottom of our terrace steps. The grill gate has a solid plate at the bottom to deter rats and it could not get out. Poor thing was trying to get into a hole in the concrete (originally made by ants but now about an inch big, but not much of it would fit. Eventually I realised to... just leave the gate open for it to get out, and it did.

Elsewhere suggestion that it is a chequred keel back. Any other opinions?

Snakes!-dsc03316a.jpg
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th November 2017, 21:46   #683
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Elsewhere suggestion that it is a chequred keel back. Any other opinions?
Yes, that's a chequered keel back. They are harmless, mostly found near ponds, rivers or other water bodies. It must have come in near some water source. Do you have any outdoor water body in your garden?

I remember, some 5-6 years ago, a similar specimen was found in my garden. It had come because we have a big built up water tank (called a 'houd' in Marathi) in our garden; and in the heart of concreted Pune city, it found that big 'houd'; a big solace in summer heat!

Did it disappear by itself or did you release it anywhere nearby?
W.A.G.7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2017, 23:28   #684
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7 View Post
Yes, that's a chequered keel back. They are harmless, mostly found near ponds, rivers or other water bodies. It must have come in near some water source. Do you have any outdoor water body in your garden? ...
We have a flooded plot next door in which all sorts of things have lived over the years.

We "released" it from its concrete corner, which it didn't seem able to get out of. We just left the steel gate open for it. It (supposedly the same) was spotted again today strolling in our garden. The maid called, but I was too late to see it. If it wants to get back next-door, there are plenty of things growing up our side of the wall.

We have no ponds or open water our side. We have a cesspite, in which nothing would want to live; we have fresh-water underground sump, which I don't think a snake could get out of it it fell in; we have a grey/rain-water pit which we have to pump out. It is closed, and the pump would eat anything that got in.

Thanks for the ID confirmation. I don't have any problems with having snakes around. My only reservation is that I have no experience how to handle them. This one was certainly more afraid of us than we could have been of it.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2017, 00:12   #685
BHPian

First of all I have no idea why am I reading these posts at night as snakes are the only thing in this world that scares the living soul out of me. I too had a close call with a reptile a few weeks ago.

It was a Sunday and dad assigned me with the job of washing his car which I did very well as I knew I would get to take his car out afterwards. After I completed the washing, polishing which took a whopping 3 and half hours, went out for the much deserved 10km tea drive. Being a Sunday, there were less cars on the road and I was enjoying the moments of the drive. As I was passing through a road which had dense tress on both the sides, I saw a black rope like thing almost a metre and half long lying on the road from a distance. The shiny scales on the body further cleared my doubts on what the thing really was. I almost came to a halt at the side of the road. From the opposite side there was a tuk tuk auto van approaching, the one without any doors. Seeing the auto van approaching the snake jumped right at the driver side but failed to climb as the driver swerved the van at the right moment. It only horrifies me when I think what would have happened to the passengers and the driver if the thing went onboard the moving vehicle as I was watching safely from a distance. In a matter of moments a fun drive turned into a horrible one
Tanveer02 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2017, 15:55   #686
Distinguished - BHPian

Entirely possibly that the snake might have had bad experience[s] with auto/mini-van drivers. Many of us have!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
we have a grey/rain-water pit which we have to pump out. It is closed, and the pump would eat anything that got in.
There has to be ground-level entrance, to drain the garden when it rains. I really hope no snake ever gets in there! I am fairly pro-snake. And to those that aren't: remember that that they eat rats!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2018, 10:26   #687
Senior - BHPian

Snakes!

This reminds me one of our encounters with a snake. We were travelling in Spiti region by a hired sumo back in 2009. Though it was a rented sumo, the driver became a nice friend and allowed me to drive his sumo frequently. After a cold night at Nako village, when I started sumo in the morning, there was a big noise from radiator fan. It was scary. I jumped out of the vehicle and opened the bonnet. Sumo's radiator fan was full of blood and there was a dead snake tangled in it.

I was clueless. After some time, the drive came and explained to me that in cold places one should always open the bonnet and check the engine bay before firing the engine. I knew that but I was careless. It was my mistake so I helped our driver to clean the engine bay and someone clicked this photograph.

Snakes!-sumo.jpg
SJM1214 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2018, 18:13   #688
Senior - BHPian

Saw a snake crossing the road, it turned out to be a rat snake. Waited till it got to the other side praying no one comes racing from behind me.

Sankar is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 13th May 2018, 19:53   #689
Team-BHP Support

This happened a couple of months back. I reach my home at 4 AM in the morning after a drive from Chennai and see this rat snake stuck in the nets of our garden pond.

Snakes!-img_20180118_034736.jpg

Looks like it had come there for its dinner (frogs and fishes on the pond) and got stuck after consuming the meal.

Snakes!-img_20180118_072731.jpg

We cut open the nets carefully and let it go off in the morning. Thanks to a healthy population of these around our community, the rodents are kept in check. On a side note, I thought snakes were slimy to touch but it wasn't - this was dry!
Gannu_1 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th May 2018, 21:43   #690
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
On a side note, I thought snakes were slimy to touch but it wasn't - this was dry!
Off topic but it's not just this one - all snakes are dry to touch.
McLaren Rulez is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks