Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions

Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2009, 13:31   #16
Senior - BHPian

Sharath why call it a recce ? Should have been in the travelogue section that the 4x4.Am sure during the monsoons this place will be lush green with a lot of leaches. Aint it ?

BTW the river, is the same one which is seen from end point ?

Last edited by Samurai : 20th January 2009 at 14:56. Reason: moved OT stuff to image thread
Old 20th January 2009, 15:06   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Sharath why call it a recce ? Should have been in the travelogue section that the 4x4.Am sure during the monsoons this place will be lush green with a lot of leaches. Aint it ?
Yes, that's why it has to be in monsoon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
BTW the river, is the same one which is seen from end point ?
Yes, it is the same river.
Old 20th January 2009, 19:54   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Even trees have developed buttresses to support themselves in the slope. I got that tit-bit from Hari who has B.Sc (Agriculture) background.
The word is "tidbit". Keep writing it your way and the Mamalian Anti-Defamation League will demand that you be infracted!

Samurai, you have an instinct for high places. Put it on the road north and we will go up into the big hills and chase ibex together!
Old 20th January 2009, 23:35   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
The word is "tidbit". Keep writing it your way and the Mamalian Anti-Defamation League will demand that you be infracted!
It is an accepted variant, I have often heard it used. May be the hyphen was not needed.

titbit - Definition from the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
Samurai, you have an instinct for high places. Put it on the road north and we will go up into the big hills and chase ibex together!
First let me scale Munnar with my Jeep.
Old 21st January 2009, 11:46   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi Sharath - so now it is KA20N7122, good that your registration is sorted out. Now you know the power of the CJ340. I am happy. Amazing terrain there, all 340 territory, nothing else will do!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 21st January 2009, 12:02   #21
Senior - BHPian

Samurai,
that indeed was a detailed treasure report from your side. Spell bound and nice to note the way your Jeep did it with ease. Way to GO!!
Old 21st January 2009, 15:35   #22
Senior - BHPian

now thats what i call a place to go for an OTR, but i think we as off road junkies should get into eco-friendly behaviour and should have small session on how to behave in a jungle and care for the environment.

what say guys? lets have inputs from our forum members about preserving our nature!

cheers:
Old 21st January 2009, 15:44   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
but i think we as off road junkies should get into eco-friendly behaviour and should have small session on how to behave in a jungle and care for the environment.
And what makes you think we do otherwise? I grew up around jungles/farms/estates, but I haven't undergone any eco-friendly training sessions. I just use common sense.

Strictly speaking, there is no eco-friendly offroading, we do damage the trails when travel in groups, emit diesel fumes and make engine noise. If you are a purist, take up trekking.
Old 21st January 2009, 15:50   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
And what makes you think we do otherwise? I grew up around jungles/farms/estates, but I haven't undergone any eco-friendly training sessions. I just use common sense.

Strictly speaking, there is no eco-friendly offroading, we do damage the trails when travel in groups, emit diesel fumes and make engine noise. If you are a purist, take up trekking.
i didnt mean to offend or upset anyone. the damage to trails, diesel fumes and engine noise is nothing compared to the garbage or litter left behind which is not bio degradable.

its the plastic bottles, coke cans, chips wrappers we tend to leave behind or to take precaution while having a barbeque or having a bornefire etc which i meant when i said to be eco-friendly! i hope the common sense covers these!

cheers:
Old 21st January 2009, 15:58   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
its the plastic bottles, coke cans, chips wrappers we tend to leave behind or to take precaution while having a barbeque or having a bornefire etc which i meant when i said to be eco-friendly! i hope the common sense covers these!
Generally our Jeeps look like garbage dump at the end of the event because we throw every bit of garbabge inside the Jeep, not outside. Please don't presume unless you have attended any jungle offroading event and found it otherwise.
Old 21st January 2009, 16:03   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
.... we do damage the trails when travel in groups, emit diesel fumes and make engine noise. If you are a purist, take up trekking.
That's true. Sad but true. Can't be avoided (can be minimized) if you are into off-roading.

Quote:
.... its the plastic bottles, coke cans, chips wrappers we tend to leave behind or to take precaution while having a barbeque or having a bornefire etc which i meant when i said to be eco-friendly...
This is ALWAYS taken care of. I have yet to see an OTR where we have littered the place with 'non-biodegradable' stuff. All such waste is brought to the city and 'littered' there.

PS: As my gypsy has an open area at back, almost always my Gypsy has the 'trash bin' arrangement .

Quote:
.. Generally our Jeeps look like garbage dump at the end of the event because we throw every bit of garbabge inside the Jeep, not outside.
Very true.

Cheers,

Last edited by khan_sultan : 21st January 2009 at 16:04.
Old 21st January 2009, 16:07   #27
Senior - BHPian

glad to hear those comments from khan saab and samurai about littering and making sure the stuff is not left behind but is taken care of and disposed off properly.

Old 21st January 2009, 16:48   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
This is ALWAYS taken care of. I have yet to see an OTR where we have littered the place with 'non-biodegradable' stuff. All such waste is brought to the city and 'littered' there.
I guess any responsible group of jeepers take care of this issue by default. In NCR OTRs also, I have seen this, not a single 'hazardous' stuff is dumped in the trails.
Old 5th June 2009, 16:01   #29
BHPian

Quote:
The first place we visited was a private forest consisting of few hundred acres of hilly forest land. Don't ask me for the exact location, I am not supposed to reveal it until we obtain permission from the owner.
Lovely adventure, and super photographs!
@Samurai: The monsoons have made their presence felt (quite unmistakably, last night). What do you think? Will we get permission?

Apart from this, I had another question for everyone:
I see it written wherever 'Rules for Off-Roading' are mentioned. One rule that is generally mentioned is to never venture out alone, ie, in only one vehicle. It is advised to go at least as a two-vehicle group. Is there a line that needs to be drawn, for the sake of practicality, or is this to be followed as a hard-and-fast rule? As for me - sure, I am a novice, so this will be a hard-and-fast rule for me anyway!!

@Samurai: no offense meant, I really am not complaining to 'Teacher' that you are not following rules!!

Last edited by Technocrat : 5th June 2009 at 16:07. Reason: Only 2 smilies per post allowed, please read the board rules carefully before Proceeding further, Thanks
Old 5th June 2009, 17:19   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanarthur View Post
@Samurai: The monsoons have made their presence felt (quite unmistakably, last night).
We need at least a month of rain before it becomes worthy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanarthur View Post
It is advised to go at least as a two-vehicle group. Is there a line that needs to be drawn, for the sake of practicality, or is this to be followed as a hard-and-fast rule? As for me - sure, I am a novice, so this will be a hard-and-fast rule for me anyway!!

@Samurai: no offense meant, I really am not complaining to 'Teacher' that you are not following rules!!
The weather was bone-dry, the local drivers who were with us assured that the trail was very clean. Besides, we were well within Airtel range and also within walkable distance from the nearest estate.

Most Viewed