Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th January 2009, 16:09   #46
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

My VDi will never make this terrain, but can I drop by on bike? The bulk of it looks very interesting and quite doable!
Old 30th January 2009, 17:08   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque-ative View Post
... What is the highest climb at the behrampur sand pit called . That was the climb I was refering to. Why ? As I heard who was probably another Newbie calling it that....
the highest slope at the sandpit doesnt really have a name. its just a part of the sandpit.
the lionsback is the slope leading up from the dry lake that we initially stopped at the trail is almost vertical and it turns towards the right.
only a handful of people have beaten the climb. lakshman ji shammi ji sarvinder ji and i think mr. pushkin has im not sure.
lol that clears my doubt . i was pretty sure the gurkha couldnt defeat the climb. irrespective of how capable it is, its tyres would sink into the powdery sand.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 30th January 2009 at 18:42. Reason: Quote only what is necessary & use spaces after punctuation
Old 30th January 2009, 18:24   #48
BHPian

Few Tips for First timers wishing to attend the OTR with the NIOC. They are a serious bunch of guys and it helps to know the general do's and donts.
  • Inform ahead of time (it helps to register yourself at NIOC yahoo groups), this is very important as we need a head count.
  • Carry water for yourself and others if possible.
  • Carry "FOOD" very important as all contribute,..carry enough for yourself and for one or two additional persons,..this way we all have enough to share.
  • First aid kits are handy to have.
  • General civil behavior and courtesy off course without question !
Old 31st January 2009, 10:47   #49
BHPian

@Torque-ative / Harjeev / Amit / Ankit / Mandeep

Please forward me the link to NIOC. I wish to register but never been able to as I reach the gallery page.

Would be of great help.

Thanks
Old 31st January 2009, 11:05   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by randeep04 View Post
@Torque-ative / Harjeev / Amit / Ankit / Mandeep

Please forward me the link to NIOC. I wish to register but never been able to as I reach the gallery page.

Would be of great help.

Thanks
Here you go
NIOC
JEEP THRILLS
Old 31st January 2009, 12:12   #51
BHPian

Alcohol policy during OTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
Here you go
NIOC
JEEP THRILLS

Also check ahead of time if at the end of the OTR any get-together or event is planned as often is the case.

NIOC has a strict policy of no alcohol consumption during the event.
However after the event there may be either a BBQ or a Pot-luck lunch / dinner where alcohol is alright !!
If you are attending such an event then BYOB !!
Old 31st January 2009, 12:25   #52
BHPian

Thanks Harjeep / Torque-ative.

I have registered and awaiting approval.

Cheers !!!!!
Old 31st January 2009, 19:03   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0333 View Post
i was pretty sure the gurkha couldnt defeat the climb. irrespective of how capable it is, its tyres would sink into the powdery sand.
I am sure you are 100% right. I guess Gurkha would not even do 25% of it. It's too big and bulky. I also feel it will hit the land before it climbs.

For that only a small light vehicle with lot of grunt would be suitable. I am sure most of the jeeps have done it. I would be too afraid to try that in fact.
Old 31st January 2009, 20:53   #54
Senior - BHPian

i agree with 0333 and rhandle. The sand is too powdery and wouldnt be easier to conquer it. Plus the gurkha was brand new and I think that it wouldnt be appropriate to push the engine so hard on a climb like that when it has not settled in as yet.

@0333
When you say that Shyam sir, SLS sir and SSS sir have defeted the cllimb, what was the terrian like and were they driving their respective jeeps??
Old 31st January 2009, 21:41   #55
BHPian

@0333
When you say that Shyam sir, SLS sir and SSS sir have defeted the cllimb, what was the terrian like and were they driving their respective jeeps??[/quote]

yes shyam sir and SSS sir completed the climb last time both in their jeeps and i think it rained the day before so the lake was full of water and the sand had packed in a bit making the trail more grippy.they were up in no time infact .
btw sunjeev uncle did the same climb in his 550 xdp in 1st low last time on sand grip bullets.so i think well be seeing ur 550 up there when it next attends.and my 3b.....hopefully.i think once a jeeper tames the lions back theres a newfound respect in the group.there have been individuals (i will take no names) who have tried more than 14 times and not succeeded.so it truly is a test of man and machine.
Old 31st January 2009, 21:44   #56
BHPian

only a handful of people have beaten the climb. lakshman ji shammi ji sarvinder ji and i think mr. pushkin has im not sure.

Pushkin has cleared it a couple of times. The LSD in his vechile helps a lot in that.

Regds

Amit
Old 31st January 2009, 22:21   #57
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Sarab and amit

@amit
Why dont you add LSD in your 540. I thibnk that they can easily be managed and wont take much time too. Can be managed in a day.
I will be adding LSD's in front of my 550. Lets see where it takes me
Old 1st February 2009, 00:28   #58
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSlow View Post
I was looking forward to seeing TSK1979 at the OTR? Sir where art thou?
He wanted to come, but it is a long drive from California.
Old 1st February 2009, 20:11   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
Thanks Sarab and amit

@amit
Why dont you add LSD in your 540. I thibnk that they can easily be managed and wont take much time too. Can be managed in a day.
I will be adding LSD's in front of my 550. Lets see where it takes me
Hi harjeev how much did it cost

regds

amit
Old 2nd February 2009, 00:19   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tusker4x4 View Post
Hi harjeev how much did it cost

regds

amit
Amit
I am not sure exactly as my cousin is doing the complete job for me including the procurement of the equipment, But I think that the LSD's should not cost more than 5K +/- 1k. This is my vague estimate, add another 1-2k for the labor.
The job going on my jeep, you can see it here http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-of...ec-bought.html

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks