Team-BHP - Munnar OTR General reports
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   4x4 Excursions (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-excursions/)
-   -   Munnar OTR General reports (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-excursions/52551-munnar-otr-general-reports.html)

Hi,

I just got back today from Munnar. I am surprised nobody has posted anything until now. This thread can be used for posting general updates or snaps, unless you are posting full fledged report. I'll post my usual exclusive travelogue in a week.

Highlights of the trip for me:
1) 19 hour drive from Manipal to Munnar (Ayur County) covering 675Kms in one go in a CJ340 with no doors. Wife, kid and parents followed few hours later in Innova taxi.
2) My best offroading experience on 25th, hardcore offroading from 11AM to 5PM. Never got stuck anywhere, Jammy sold me a great offroading machine, it practically drove itself over every terrain. I just watched from the driver seat.
3) Shocked to find ourselves in Tamilnadu and then deciding to drive 225Kms back over roads.
4) Highly disciplined 4 vehicle convoy driving from Kodai-kanal to Munnar covering 180Kms.
5) Losing engine oil at 1AM in the middle of the forest due to broken oil pipe and temporary fix on the spot by other convoy members using Gypsy oil.
6) 19 hour drive back from Munnar in one stretch with many power naps in between at night due to sleepiness. Wife rode shot-gun in the Jeep all the way back while the Innova drove behind in convoy fashion.

Total trip distance covered: 1743Kms in 4 days in the doorless CJ340, two days without the soft-top.
Total experience: Mindblowing.

Its like you don't have to elaborate any further - after being habituated to your writing I can literally feel what you write -

waiting droolingly for the PICS :)

RGDS
Irfan

Here it comes. I was also waiting for the report. Both the MGE & JT.

To begin, here are some from our senior member Dwarak. :)

Picasa Web Albums - Dwarakanath - JT-MunnarOTR2...

I am still in Munnar OTR hangover. Reached Banaglore at 12.30 am today.
The best offroading experience I had. photos and report later.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samurai (Post 1146790)
... I am surprised nobody has posted anything until now. ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sha (Post 1146840)
I am still in Munnar OTR hangover. ...photos and report later.

I think Sha has put it correctly. Same here. No energy left to put up anything now.

Quote:

..Total experience: Mindblowing.
100% agree. the Total experience was GREAT. One of the best for me. Great drive, great company of 4x4 enthusiasts, great scenic views, great place to stay with breathtaking sunrise/sunset views and a GREAT OTR Trail.

I just wish that it was raining cats & dogs so that the terrain could have become REALLY GREAT for hard core of-roading and pushing the limits of oneself & machines. With no rains/mud/slush, it became a bit easy in the end. In monsoons this terrain would be TREACHEROUS -- and that's putting it mildly

I have NO pictures of 'off-roading' so can't put in any 4x4 action pictures.

But the photographer with Sha took some 14 GB of pictures so Sha will soon flood this place with pictures along with other pictures also.

Quote:

... I was also waiting for the report. Both the MGE & JT...
The MGE was a joke. A serious joke. Infact a CLASS action suit should be filed against those folks for insulting the jeepers if they call that highway/tarmac route an OTR trail.

Cheers,

Even I have very limited photographs since I was driving most of the time and it was impossible to stop and shoot at most of the challeging situations. Even the passengers were holding on to the Jeep for their lives and couldn't shoot in those moments. That's the only sad part for me.

Must be an unique experience Samurai. Now start shooting your pics ASAP

Abhi

Quote:

Originally Posted by khan_sultan (Post 1146863)

The MGE was a joke. A serious joke. Infact a CLASS action suit should be filed against those folks for insulting the jeepers if they call that highway/tarmac route an OTR trail.

Cheers,

I heard that and felt sorry for people who went only for MGE. There are people who come from far off places thinking that a great trail may be there but such half hearted approach really disappoints. I think the saving grace was JT event. Waiting for the pics:)

Many people who came for MGE, heard about the JT event and joined up next day.

The Mahindra service team who had come for MGE, did come for the JT event for helping out. However, the terrain was too much for them. They returned after seeing the crazy trails which were plain terrifying compared to MGE trails.

Quote:

But the photographer with Sha took some 14 GB of pictures so Sha will soon flood this place with pictures along with other pictures also.

No energy to see 14GB of photos and 4 GB of videos.

I don't know how to explain this. After sleeping for 6 soild hours after my 19 hour return drive, I have no body ache, no tiredness and can't make out all this happened in the last 4 days. Seems all unreal. Just having another day in the office.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samurai (Post 1146936)
I don't know how to explain this. After sleeping for 6 soild hours after my 19 hour return drive, I have no body ache, no tiredness and can't make out all this happened in the last 4 days. Seems all unreal. Just having another day in the office.

:D

However, on the other hand, you have all of us who didn't go to Munnar in a state of goose-pimpled spine-tingling anticipation. Since you've recovered so well, NOW may we get the gen?

The wait is killing us.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samurai (Post 1146936)

You're running on adrenaline. Great feeling, that!

EDIT: Just went thru Dwarakanath's pics - I didnt know there were so many classic jeeps in Kerala. Some of them are really really old!

Somebody ruined his bodywork with a hi-lift?

Was waiting for this thread to come up. Looks out to be a good one as per the explanations. 14GB of pics and 4 GB videos...It sure will be a treat to us. Common guys let pics start flowing in.

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samurai (Post 1146891)
Many people who came for MGE, heard about the JT event and joined up next day.

The Mahindra service team who had come for MGE, did come for the JT event for helping out. However, the terrain was too much for them. They returned after seeing the crazy trails which were plain terrifying compared to MGE trails.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vinod_nookala (Post 1146878)
I heard that and felt sorry for people who went only for MGE. There are people who come from far off places thinking that a great trail may be there but such half hearted approach really disappoints. I think the saving grace was JT event. Waiting for the pics:)

Umm, too bad. I feel pity for guys who came from far locaitons as far as Delhi I guess. Anyway, JT came to rescue for them I guess by having good fun the very next day.

@Sha, no excuse since you traveled back in those NEW gypsy :D. Where are the videos... He he...