Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions

Search this Thread
Old 3rd February 2009, 02:05   #76
Senior - BHPian

there is no escape even in highways touching towns in kerala.but @samurai:this kind of congestion ,I believe is felt only on travancore-cochin areas .In Malabar ,it is the missing fly-overs for rail lines crossing major roads which is the main hindrance.I hope Cochin-Panvel NH17 when fully completed will solve the travelling problems to north kerala from cok.

and excellent roads- the NH47 strech you travelled from Angamaly to Thrissur was Once the horror of every travellers.two laned with potholed with a weak chalakudy river bridge.now everything seems fine with the 4 laning.

Now the Malanad(Hillway) Highway is what is expected due to the problem of land to connect from kalyikkavila-trivendrum to manjeshwara.earlier last UDF government under minister Muneer planned for a express highway which can help a trivandrum driver to reach Kasaragode in 6 hours time.now ,after seeing the lack of area in this small state ,the focus has changed to Malanad Highway(spice corridor).
Kerala gears up for Rs 1,000-cr spice corridor - The Financial Express

--
For the offroad trials ,Naadukani(via Thodupuzha 35-40kms from tdpa),Idukki is another better place.(that's my opinion only).
The Greenberg resort experience - A visit to Nadukani in Idukki - Jayson Online - Articles & Projects
Thodupuzha travel guide - Wikitravel
Idukki travel guide - Wikitravel
List of State Highways in Kerala - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
^this route got the excellent highway with good twisties from Moolamattam to Idukki(kulamaav) reminding Mettupalyam-Ootty Route(TN) .the road work done by KPWD is Excellent.

Last edited by deepclutch : 3rd February 2009 at 02:12.
Old 3rd February 2009, 10:34   #77
Senior - BHPian

High vs Low

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
. Since CJ340 has one of the highest axle ratio at 5.38, I can do most of my crawling at 4L 2nd. The CJ340 would be very very slow at 4L 1st, much slower than your 4L 1st. I used 4L 1st only in that narrow village trail, that was one place where you moved faster than me.
Lowest Differential Ratio at 5.38:1
Old 3rd February 2009, 11:29   #78
Team-BHP Support

That was a very interesting adventure you had, i cannot believe that you guys didnt realize that the road was munnar-kodai route before you guys ventured in to the other end. Mad mad jeepers i say
Old 3rd February 2009, 11:30   #79
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
Lowest Differential Ratio at 5.38:1
Ah! Semantics, semantics. You should talk to Srini. When his first attempt at the first incline failed, he said he couldn't engage high torque. So I say use 4 low like rest of us. He says low won't do, he needs high to take this incline. Now I am confused like hell. Even his wife is saying the same thing. After some time I realised the difference in language.

He was saying High torque gear and low torque gear.
I was saying 4 low and 4 high, as in ratios.

High torque gear => 4 low => low ratio
Low torque gear => 4 high => high ratio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
Does Alloys effect in any way in these terrains? Wont it get damaged?
This is my first event with alloys, I didn't feel any negative effect. I'll let the veterans deal with this question.
Old 3rd February 2009, 11:37   #80
Senior - BHPian

Samurai san, approximately you have covered the distance of around 700 kms in 18 hrs which works out to closely 40 kmph. I personally consider this as good timing with Jeep and bit congested traffic all way through.

I have two questions, what's your top speed on your return journey? and if the Innova driver was left to proceed at his own pace, how long he would have taken to cover the distance?

PS; Did your wife accompanied you for the entire return tirp in jeep
Old 3rd February 2009, 11:49   #81
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
Samurai san, approximately you have covered the distance of around 700 kms in 18 hrs which works out to closely 40 kmph. I personally consider this as good timing with Jeep and bit congested traffic all way through.
Actually it was 19 hours, the breaks for mechanic, lunch, coffee and dinner consumed an hour each. I think even the power naps took away an hour in total.

Quote:
I have two questions, what's your top speed on your return journey?
Highest I reached was 90kmph, for a brief moment, but I mostly did between 70-85kmph in empty stretches. Don't ask about the 250kms long city drive between Kothamangalam to Calicut, don't want to remember it. The traffic reduced after Calicut only because it was past 9:30PM and Kerala shuts down by then.

Quote:
and if the Innova driver was left to proceed at his own pace, how long he would have taken to cover the distance?
I don't think I can make a guess at that.

Quote:
PS: Did your wife accompanied you for the entire return tirp in jeep
Yes, except for the last 35Kms since I stayed back at my parents. She rode the Jeep for more than 1000kms in 3 days, including the entire off-road trail.
Old 3rd February 2009, 12:12   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I don't think I can make a guess at that.
Let me rephrase the question, if you had driven Innova on your return trip, in how many hours you would have covered the distance? (app figure would do).
Old 3rd February 2009, 12:37   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Let me rephrase the question, if you had driven Innova on your return trip, in how many hours you would have covered the distance? (app figure would do).
Edit: Just wanted to find out how good would be a modern car in terms of speed and comfort. The latter has been covered in your travelogue. Also if the timings are not of a big difference, it makes sense to slow down a bit (no speeds alone) to increase the safer aspect. These working would definitely come handy during long drives for a better decision
Old 3rd February 2009, 13:19   #84
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Those wanting to go into the nitty gritty of their final drive ratios would enjoy using the calculator at Gear Ratio Calculator
Old 3rd February 2009, 13:21   #85
BHPian

I started from Adimaly (30kms down munnar) at 3.30am and reached Uduppi at 1.30pm in my skoda.At that time mangalore-uduppi stretch was in a very bad state.
Old 3rd February 2009, 14:53   #86
Senior - BHPian

I can just say--- crazy drivers.

I envy you people doing such otr.
Old 3rd February 2009, 15:35   #87
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack33 View Post
I started from Adimaly (30kms down munnar) at 3.30am and reached Uduppi at 1.30pm in my skoda.At that time mangalore-uduppi stretch was in a very bad state.
That's 10 hours to cover roughly 620Kms, most of the high traffic covered during dark. That's a good speed. Someday I'll try that in the GV.
Old 3rd February 2009, 17:28   #88
Senior - BHPian

Great Writeup

Boy oh boy...what a nice write up, Samurai. You had me glued to it right to the end. And a recent drive in a 4WD Jeep helped me relate much more. A Jeep is a Jeep...it's something that you have to experience.

Drive on,
Shibu.
Old 3rd February 2009, 17:48   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack33 View Post
Wow! thats almost half of the time taken by CJ340. Thanks you Jack33 for providing this info
Old 4th February 2009, 08:43   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
And a lot of the times, the spotter is not worth his salt - which leads to a lot of heartburn. Discussed this a lot on the JT group. Anyway, this is OT.
Look who's here.
Suicide my dear old pug face,we sorely missed your death defying antics on the Munnar OTR. Where were you anyways?? .And what happened to your well laid out plans to come on the trip?????Didn't quite get laid out the way you wanted eh???
Cheers
Jammy

Last edited by MM440 : 4th February 2009 at 08:44.

Most Viewed