Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th March 2009, 14:36   #31
Team-BHP Support

Shahnawaz, since I have often experienced this with the camera, I am sure what we are seeing in this pic is steeper than it looks. If you remember that alleged jeep trail we discussed during MGE drive, I never posted that shot because none of my shots captured the real steepness of the path.
Old 16th March 2009, 15:15   #32
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaraka View Post
You have best OTR spot at Manesar.
Where is Manesar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtreme power View Post
A brief look at each others vehicle under the dimming moonlight, handing over walkie talkies and we were off in search of impossible terrain to conquer
And I gotta tell you a thing about first impressions. When your Defender approached us with those menacing lights, we knew you meant business.

Quote:
From Far it seemed like easy slopes and a lot of plain areas but once we reached there we found otherwise
Tell me about it. The best part about this place was its vastness, one could spend 6 hours offroading around here. The only restriction will be the sun setting and how far your tank of diesel can take you.

Quote:
I remember going across a slope sideways
Just a note : We weren't nuts to take an uphill climb sideways. But there wasn't a straight line up...too many obstacles. We had no choice to go sideways at some patches.

Quote:
About this track during the monsoons, I have my doubts cause it might be down right suicide,
Will be close to it. Suicide, that is.

Quote:
the view on the other side, next time we go down from here. Gto this picture is for you(remember)
Looks magical. Breath-taking spot.

Quote:
the Shaadi.com picture
You wait for my comeback, Mr. Defender.

Quote:
Oh by the way all chikki shops in lonavala were closed on account of holi

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby05 View Post
Next time, I'm in with my Cherokee. Hope she and me can cope!
That sounds like fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
Did you folks try/attempt this path: shown with red arrows?
As Sharath posted, these pictures are only telling half the story. That path was too sharp. But hey, if you are up to it the next time, so am I. What's the harm in trying!
Old 16th March 2009, 16:20   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
.... I am sure what we are seeing in this pic is steeper than it looks. If you remember that alleged jeep trail we discussed during MGE drive, I never posted that shot because none of my shots captured the real steepness of the path.
Quote:
... these pictures are only telling half the story. That path was too sharp. But hey, if you are up to it the next time, so am I. What's the harm in trying!
Fully agree that from pictures one can't make out if it is doable or not. I know that in reality it would be a lot more tricky than it seems. Still I am tempted to 'try' out till what part of that one can attempt.

Would for sure love to do wheeling in this terrain during monsoons.

GTO -- you & the mumbai gang better plan out a 2-3 days off roading trip in the monsoons. Camp out & off-roading. I am in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Where is Manesar?
he he. I think Dwaraka got confursed between you folks & NCR folks. The NCR jeepers had gone to manesar on the 14th.
Old 16th March 2009, 16:26   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdev29 View Post
i am really sorry guys, i had to back out at last minute.. and i know i will get to hear about it from allan my life long.. It seems you guys had fun.. track looks better than rajmachi.. it will be fun to visit there in monsoon.
Pdev ask asif bhai and gang.. Could plan another one soon. Some 10 odd gypsies. Like we do at rajmachi.

Looking at the pictures it seems that theres no real path that you can take. Its a go anywhere, make your own road thing..??
Old 16th March 2009, 17:41   #35
BHPian

Nice Recce GTO, looks like we have found a good spot. When are you heading there next ?? I would like to join you guys with my JEEP.
Old 16th March 2009, 17:46   #36
BHPian

if you notice me and aditya in the distance, you shall see we are walking down the hill sideways, thats cause of the high inclination which the picture does not capture
REPORT with Pics : Mumbai Recce 15th March 2009-3.jpg

also this picture is the other side of the inclination, the slope is better seen here but still not capturing its real angle,
the part you have mentioned sultan is basically a nearly vertical slope with bolders on its bottom side a bit away from the edge and that cliff is a good 20 feet high
REPORT with Pics : Mumbai Recce 15th March 2009-4.jpg

Last edited by xtreme power : 16th March 2009 at 17:57.
Old 16th March 2009, 18:09   #37
Senior - BHPian

GTO,

Regret there was mixup. Manesar of NCR jeeping. Appologies
Dwarak
Old 16th March 2009, 18:50   #38
BHPian

hey awsome pics and awsome machines. How much did the defender cost?
Old 16th March 2009, 19:30   #39
Team-BHP Support

Pictures don't capture the steepness of the slopes. After crossing the lake, the tyres were struggling for grip on the gravel and rock surface. Needed some quick "stone work" to prevent sliding backwards. It was a good thing that we did this one at a time. Both vehicles together would have been a disaster. Infact, the Land Rover stalled as it came up. Such was the incline that the diesel was not reaching the engine from the tank.
Old 16th March 2009, 21:09   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Pictures don't capture the steepness of the slopes. After crossing the lake, the tyres were struggling for grip on the gravel and rock surface. Needed some quick "stone work" to prevent sliding backwards. It was a good thing that we did this one at a time. Both vehicles together would have been a disaster. .

Aditya,

Notice the tyres of defender, it is very tight and probably bouncy too. It is good to deflate tyres little to make it terrain hugging. This method arrests slipping on gravelly terrain and gives more traction. We try to maintain optimum air in tyres before enter the off roading terrain.

Dwarak
Old 16th March 2009, 21:32   #41

Good to know you guys had fun!!
Looking forward to a trip with more vehicles!
Old 17th March 2009, 10:45   #42
Senior - BHPian

are we on for this sunday??
Old 17th March 2009, 13:23   #43
BHPian

Perfect... Awesome. I am lost for words.

I would be in Mumbai in April. Any plans during that period, would love to accompany you guys! Hopefully we would have more than three vehicles at that time.
Old 17th March 2009, 20:09   #44
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
Still I am tempted to 'try' out till what part of that one can attempt.

Would for sure love to do wheeling in this terrain during monsoons.
Yes to both points. Lets go to Silvassa in the monsoons, the terrain is MURDER (think knee deep much with no steering control while sliding down). Or we could do a Goa sessions and Mumbai + Bangalore meet halfway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danlalan View Post
Looking at the pictures it seems that theres no real path that you can take. Its a go anywhere, make your own road thing..??
Yup, go as far as you want. Or your tank of diesel will take you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prmd_cochin View Post
How much did the defender cost?
It's priceless . And not for sale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaraka View Post
It is good to deflate tyres little to make it terrain hugging.
Did too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdev29 View Post
are we on for this sunday??
Am out of the country. This sunday is not possible for me, you guys go ahead.
Old 17th March 2009, 21:55   #45
Senior - BHPian

Guys! How about April 12th(Sunday) as a date for the Mumbai offroad session.
It gives sufficient time for everyone to plan ahead of time and make themselves available. Im sure more recces can be done in the meantime.

I did not start a new thread since this is just a proposal. Please move it if necessary.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks