Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2009, 10:08   #46
BANNED

The area around Pune has some fantastic terrain. I was on the Pune - Paud - Mulshi - Tamhini - Kolad stretch on Sunday / Monday. Places like these have immense opportunities for recces / full blown OTRs. In the rains, they can be extremely challenging and scary.
Old 18th March 2009, 13:38   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
Guys! How about April 12th(Sunday) as a date for the Mumbai offroad session.
It gives sufficient time for everyone to plan ahead of time and make themselves available. Im sure more recces can be done in the meantime.

I did not start a new thread since this is just a proposal. Please move it if necessary.
If Silvasa is in consideration, then it can be a 2 day OTR with stay in Khanvel or if required I can arrange night stay in one of farm houses of my friend. Or I can get a good priced hotel in Daman with good discounts as again it is owned by one of my friends over there.

I am planning to be there in 1st or 2nd week of April. If there is any confirmation on OTR then I would think of getting my Gurkha over there. Also there are lot of off-roading spots en-route to Nasik if we are moving from Charauti, and it is as scenic as the place where GTO has been to.
Old 18th March 2009, 14:18   #48
Senior - BHPian

im simply lovin the SWB Landy. i must say that is a nice recce done with lots of more than good Off-Road trek.

was landy imported by the owner of bought here in india?

waiting to hear more about the OTR.
Old 20th March 2009, 01:39   #49
BHPian

I have done this stretch in the same Landie - in the monsoon. With 2 other LRs and one Rangie. It was good. The one you have is very good, xtreme power. It uses Toyota power, as I remember. Moves well. The Rajmachi stretch (regular path) is very nice for a beginner and I have gone there in my Forester too. Only car and was with family so did not attempt the bad section on the acute right hander uphill. AND it was raining! Have rallied in the old days around Mulshi-Neve-Jovan and around Charoti-Jawhar etc. There used to be some nice stretches around Kolad too. Would love to join you guys when a plan comes up but with my Forester, serious off-roading will be out. BTW that 430 is a regular for service at National Garage.
Old 21st March 2009, 18:16   #50
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
The area around Pune has some fantastic terrain. I was on the Pune - Paud - Mulshi - Tamhini - Kolad stretch on Sunday / Monday. Places like these have immense opportunities for recces / full blown OTRs. In the rains, they can be extremely challenging and scary.
Hi Hrag, I wasn't aware of offroad terrain around there. Can you please share detailed directions (preferably in a separate thread)? Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhandle View Post
If Silvasa is in consideration, then it can be a 2 day OTR with stay in Khanvel or if required I can arrange night stay in one of farm houses of my friend.
Fantastic! Definitely on for the monsoons. Some parts of Silvasa are SCARY in the monsoons (think 1 - 2 ft deep muck 2 km long stretches. And incline / decline!).

[/quote]I am planning to be there in 1st or 2nd week of April. If there is any confirmation on OTR then I would think of getting my Gurkha over there. Also there are lot of off-roading spots en-route to Nasik if we are moving from Charauti, and it is as scenic as the place where GTO has been to.[/quote]

In the Gurkha? We are so on with the plan! I am dying to see a Gurkha in action.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
waiting to hear more about the OTR.
Sure Parm. Any info in particular that I can help answer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4wdrifter View Post
Would love to join you guys when a plan comes up but with my Forester, serious off-roading will be out. BTW that 430 is a regular for service at National Garage.
Be great if you could join us in the Forester. When the Subaru's had enough, feel free to jump into any of our Jeeps.
Old 22nd March 2009, 04:11   #51
Senior - BHPian

when a recce is done, how a suitable route is decided, marked and prepared?

does it depends on terrain difficulty, water bodies, natural rock formations etc?
Old 22nd March 2009, 17:59   #52
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
when a recce is done, how a suitable route is decided, marked and prepared?
Don't think there is a formalised system for this. Period. We only went by the areas that we were familiar with and some local research. An extremely friendly young engineer from Tata Power suggested this spot to us. Ideally, a helicopter would be best to find offroading spots. Butttttttt.....

I find it easiest to create a make-shift map (graphical) and a supporting word document (with detailed directions. Just like in time-speed-distance events).

Quote:
does it depends on terrain difficulty, water bodies, natural rock formations etc?
Of course, generally the more difficult, the more we enjoy Though I have my doubts on whether this patch will be doable in the monsoons.
Old 22nd March 2009, 18:37   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Of course, generally the more difficult, the more we enjoy Though I have my doubts on whether this patch will be doable in the monsoons.
Any dates have been decided yet for an OTR there ?
Is there a possibility of a group of us teaming up for a small OTR on 12thApril?
Old 23rd March 2009, 12:03   #54
BHPian

Quote:

Fantastic! Definitely on for the monsoons. Some parts of Silvasa are SCARY in the monsoons (think 1 - 2 ft deep muck 2 km long stretches. And incline / decline!).

In the Gurkha? We are so on with the plan! I am dying to see a Gurkha in action.
Yes, in Gurkha. I have got work in Mumbai on 6th April. So it could be either early april or after 6th whichever way you guys decide. Let me know as you guys plan it and if it is Silvasa then may be on 8th or 9th we can go over there as that would be my way back
Old 23rd March 2009, 12:15   #55
BANNED

Quote:
Hi Hrag, I wasn't aware of offroad terrain around there. Can you please share detailed directions (preferably in a separate thread)? Thanks
Not sure my details warrant a separate thread but here goes:

From Panvel, head towards Goa - after Kolad, turn left towards Vile and Tamhini. Ignore all the turn offs to Alibag, Pali & Roha on the Panvel - Goa road.

From Pune - Chandini Chowk, head towards Paud (same as Lavassa Road - Technocrat should have details). Ignore the turn off towards Lonavala and turn left at the fork in the road just before the Mulshi dam / park. The left fork is called Tata Gate locally and heads towards Mulshi, Tamhini, Dawadi, Nive and ultimately Kolad.

You must be aware that all this land (not sure how much exactly) belongs to Tata Power but they have recently opened up the road to the public. If you have contacts within Tata Power, best option is to ask if you can explore tracks on the non-Mulshi Lake side of the road.
Old 23rd March 2009, 13:52   #56
BHPian

Be great if you could join us in the Forester. When the Subaru's had enough, feel free to jump into any of our Jeeps.[/quote]

Sounds great! I would love to join. 4-5 April is out as I may be busy organising the drag at Khargar, but 12 April sounds good. And thanks for the ride offer - will be welcome if I get stuck!
Old 24th March 2009, 00:15   #57

hi, nice pictures.... whats the size of your wheels.. where did u guys found the water area.... which way did you went from...

Quote:
6 a.m. on a Sunday morning? You gotta be kidding me. A sunday is the ONLY day of the week that I can wake up after 0600 hours. Butttttttttttttttt when it's for exploring different offroad locations, alongwith a pimped out Defender, does a car guy need a second thought?

Last edited by aah78 : 24th March 2009 at 02:04. Reason: Please avoid quoting large posts in their entirety. Check the Announcements section for our dislike of the dots! Thanks!
Old 24th March 2009, 04:52   #58
Team-BHP Support

4x4

I really don't like this section!

Every time I read a thread in here I want to reach into a non-existant money bucket and buy myself a Wrangler (unfortunately Defenders aren't widely available in the US).

The pictures are truely amazing and the report's a treat to read! I could spend hours browsing this thread.

Addy, your first off-road experience?
Old 24th March 2009, 12:00   #59
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
Not sure my details warrant a separate thread but here goes:
Thanks! I'm copying your post to another (related) thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhandle View Post
Let me know as you guys plan it and if it is Silvasa then may be on 8th or 9th we can go over there as that would be my way back
Silvasa is worth it only after the rain gods get generous. Right now, it'll be boring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grounddesigns View Post
hi, nice pictures.... whats the size of your wheels.. where did u guys found the water area.... which way did you went from...
Firstly : PLease visit our board rules section. SMS language and a dotty typing style (like.........this............) is not permitted on the forum.

I am running 15 inchers with a 225mm patch tyre.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aah78 View Post
Every time I read a thread in here I want to reach into a non-existant money bucket and buy myself a Wrangler (unfortunately Defenders aren't widely available in the US).
So many options in the $5000 - 10000 range. I have a feeling you're going to get one sooner rather than later.
Old 24th March 2009, 12:13   #60
F50
Senior - BHPian

Wow! Im still kicking myself for missing it. Excellent report and pics!

Im in for the next one Rush!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks