Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2009, 15:03   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Wow, looks like a great event and superbly organized. Great event mgmt & planning skills by Shams and his team.

Making a man made terrain is not an easy task and it looks like a quite nice terrain for everyone to have fun.

The pictures of airplanes in the backdrop make it seem more magical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post

I noticed right away - two things made a huge impact - driver skill and tyres.
You have learnt what is probably the MOST important lesson in off-roading. These 2 make probably the most difference.

BTW, anyone has more pictures of the Gypsy #20? Looks cool and would like to see more pictures of the same from different angles.
Old 30th March 2009, 16:23   #47
Team-BHP Support

Looks like it was a great event, superbly organised as usual by shams and gang. Never seen offroad photographs with aircrafts in them. The man made obstacles look quite challenging, how many out of 77 completed the event?

What is the vehicle bearing number 44?
Old 30th March 2009, 16:27   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
Wow, looks like a great event and superbly organized. Great event mgmt & planning skills by Shams and his team.
Thanks Shahnawaz & Vinod, would have been great if you guys had joined in.
Old 30th March 2009, 16:33   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Looks like it was a great event, superbly organised as usual by shams and gang. Never seen offroad photographs with aircrafts in them. The man made obstacles look quite challenging, how many out of 77 completed the event?

#44 was a Land Rover looked most likely to a 1950s model. It had 1 good tyre out of the four. Did most of the slopes except the first incline. Fazal would be able to through more light about the vehicle
Old 30th March 2009, 16:40   #50
BHPian

guyonblackybx,furioussphinx,Fazal,Great pics there by all off you guys.
The best collection of 4x4s I've come across in India.Great going guys.
Old 30th March 2009, 17:01   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
#44 was a Land Rover looked most likely to a 1950s model. It had 1 good tyre out of the four. Did most of the slopes except the first incline. Fazal would be able to through more light about the vehicle
Same one which Amitabh Bachan drives in Satte Pe Satta
Old 30th March 2009, 17:27   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Fazal and Hyderabad - this is fantastic. Maybe next time with -----.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 30th March 2009, 18:38   #53
BHPian

Shams & Hyd Jeepers,

Amazing !!! Great going.

Regds

Amit
Old 30th March 2009, 20:43   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Samurai,
I did not see any vehicle break down, but the first incline culled half a dozen and the last one about three.
Number 44 is a Land Rover which made it through the first incline after 5-6 attempts on sheer will power, I did not wait to see if it made it through the last, I doubt it did.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Fazal and Hyderabad - this is fantastic. Maybe next time with -----.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Dear Sir,
I am looking foward to that day and hopefully that time I too will be on the other end of the camera.

Sincere Regards,

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandan View Post
guyonblackybx,furioussphinx,Fazal,Great pics there by all off you guys.
The best collection of 4x4s I've come across in India.Great going guys.
Chandan,
Thanks for your appreciation wish all the T-BHP 4X4, guys were here to see it live.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
Dear shams & hyderabad 4wd guys,

What a show of immaculate 4wds? Iam spell bound by the workmanship on these jeeps and other 4wds. Can some one provide an acocunt of how each 4wd performed? What were the obstacle course?

p.s - I miss hyderabad a lot!! Truly a nawab's city with their Nawab like vehicles:-)))
Vinod,
The technical data can only be given by Shams, as the camera loves performers I could not pick out the non performers, (in this fast action event) though there were about 6-8.
Hyderabad missed you too.

Khan Sultan,
Missed your rock climber here, for your info. the Gypsies did good except one that didn't make it through the last incline, I couldn't tell if it was the man or machine that failed.
More pics of # 20 with the high lift jack for you and other Gypsies.
Note: # 37 lost his bull bar ( red arrow) just after completing the first incline.

Hyderabad - Jeep Thrills Summer Challenge 2009 - Sunday 29 March-07.jpg

Hyderabad - Jeep Thrills Summer Challenge 2009 - Sunday 29 March-02.jpg

Hyderabad - Jeep Thrills Summer Challenge 2009 - Sunday 29 March-03.jpg

Hyderabad - Jeep Thrills Summer Challenge 2009 - Sunday 29 March-05.jpg

Hyderabad - Jeep Thrills Summer Challenge 2009 - Sunday 29 March-01.jpg

Hyderabad - Jeep Thrills Summer Challenge 2009 - Sunday 29 March-06.jpg

Last edited by fazalaliadil : 30th March 2009 at 20:48.
Old 31st March 2009, 00:52   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tusker4x4 View Post
Shams & Hyd Jeepers,

Amazing !!! Great going.

Regds

Amit
Thanks for the appreciation, my regds to all at NIOC

Quote:

Thanks for the appreciation Sharath, it is indeed quite a sight to see aircrafts and 4x4 so close together, makes a great visual.
A handful couldn't clear some of the inclines, due to inadequate engine power or poor judgement by the driver or both. A few got stuck on the 'pitted path' due to inadequate momentum and diff housing bottoming on the crest with one wheel in air and open diffs adding to the woes.
The track on the whole could be called challenging, however there was a conscious effort while designing the track to have something for all levels of skill and from the feedback I have been getting since yesterday all participants had great fun driving through.
There might a surprise on the difficulty level in the next event, you will have to wait until then
Old 31st March 2009, 01:16   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by randeep04 View Post
Hi Everyone,

Amazing is not the word. Very good collection of Jeeps and other offroaders. The pics clicked are awesome.
I notice a lot of Kaisers there in Hyderabad. But none kept in its original glory. The Kaiser is just an awesome Jeep and looks killer if kept original. They are very hard to get.
If anyone has any SWB Kaiser for sale or knows of any on sale please let me know, provided its not modified and is original even in a bad state.

Cheers !!!!!!!
Hello Randeep, Thanks for the kind words. Kaisers/CJ5s were ordered by the AP State Health Dept back in the yore, eventually they found their way into the hands of the collectors/restorers/enthusiasts through govt auctions.The M38A1s that you see were again sought after by the hyderabadi enthusiasts from across the country, many were seized from the Pak army during the Indo-Pak wars and subsequently auctioned, there are reportedly some specimens that came to the hands of the owners riddled with bullet holes.
These round fendered beauties have been subjected to a high degree of modifications over the years, they are, needless to say an excellent canvas for creative automotive build up, however in the process, originality is often compromised. Hyderabadis love the CJ5/M38A1
If you look through the pics you will also find CJ6 and CJ7 in the pics
Although not very hard, they are slightly rare to find here in Hyderabad and often priced irrationally by dealers/middlemen who want to make a quick buck out of enthusiasts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldude1988765 View Post
I am at a loss of words. Cant believe I missed this.
Hi Karan, are you still oot? Would have been nice to have you at the event, you would have added a beat to the day

Last edited by shams : 31st March 2009 at 01:28.
Old 31st March 2009, 03:13   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
The slush should be where the participants dread getting in and out, a driveable boulders track is a must. I noticed that nearly all participants made it out quite effortlessly (except about 6) though it was not an easy course.

Fazal Bhai

the track was quite easy for people who have driven jeeps for a long time and have had real time off roading experience. Its a good observation you have made that the slush could have been more challenging. Making it a little more deep would have really made a lot of difference.
Old 31st March 2009, 07:12   #58
Senior - BHPian

Special credits to the unsung hero's esp. the Marshall who guided every entrant through the first incline with a smile, (zoom in to see) though I was about maybe 300 feet away, but could not miss his enthusiasm till the last vehicle got through.
The Camera men who risked all to get the best shots close to the heat of action, and learnt when to run and when to shoot.

Hyderabad - Jeep Thrills Summer Challenge 2009 - Sunday 29 March-033.jpg

Hyderabad - Jeep Thrills Summer Challenge 2009 - Sunday 29 March-022.jpg

Hyderabad - Jeep Thrills Summer Challenge 2009 - Sunday 29 March-011.jpg
Old 31st March 2009, 08:02   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
Special credits to the unsung hero's esp. the Marshall who guided every entrant through the first incline with a smile, (zoom in to see) though I was about maybe 300 feet away, but could not miss his enthusiasm till the last vehicle got through.
The Camera men who risked all to get the best shots close to the heat of action, and learnt when to run and when to shoot.
Correction, the distance between the marshall and me was about 500 feet. These additional pics have three more heroes.

Hyderabad - Jeep Thrills Summer Challenge 2009 - Sunday 29 March-044.jpg

Hyderabad - Jeep Thrills Summer Challenge 2009 - Sunday 29 March-055.jpg
Old 31st March 2009, 10:25   #60
BHPian

Gypsy in a spot on the pitted path, others making final ascent

Last edited by shams : 31st March 2009 at 10:33.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks