Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd April 2009, 10:34   #76
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssarmast View Post
That is so true Shams that it does test the drivers judgment but what of the people who have driven on the track a day or two before the event and have actually been awarded too for their driving skills. I did see a couple of participants two days prior to the event making trial runs of the track . And i feel such an opportunity should be given to all the participants instead of a select few . This would make all the participants be on an even scale. i think either the track should be new to all the participants or all should be given trial runs. Would like to know about you take on this.In fact i`d like everybody on the forum to share their views on this.
The events are broad based and inclusive in nature so as to accommodate all categories of 4x4s to participate, during preparations we had to test the track with a particular category of 4x4, since we didnt have that kind of a vehicle at our disposal for the test, we had asked for some of our friends' vehicles to be tested at their risk, they lent us their 4x4s for the test in great spirit and for the benefit of all participants in general, it helped us to improvise and come to a conclusion on the safety and viability of the track that is highly critical. In the absence of outstanding performance by any other vehicle in that particular category, the prize was given to the highest scorer.

Moreover, a trial run entails costs, work and practical issues that are not feasible, in this particular event, the airport being a high security area, the authorities had granted us permission to allow general public only on the day of the event and for the preparations and ground work only organizing team and their staff were allowed, we were to hand over any uninvited persons to airport security for trespassing and to make things awkward and difficult for us some people turned up unannounced at the venue to watch the preparations, we had to overlook that as they were either friends of friends or people known to us. Although we appreciate their enthusiasm and interest, however one has to look at the bigger scheme of things and that passion has to be manifested constructively.
Old 2nd April 2009, 15:57   #77
BHPian

Some from Fazal Sahab's collection
Hyderabad - Jeep Thrills Summer Challenge 2009 - Sunday 29 March-miniimg_9464.jpg

More pics

Attachment 119204

Hyderabad - Jeep Thrills Summer Challenge 2009 - Sunday 29 March-miniimg_9500.jpg

Toyota LC FJ40

Hyderabad - Jeep Thrills Summer Challenge 2009 - Sunday 29 March-miniimg_9546.jpg

Last edited by khan_sultan : 2nd April 2009 at 16:37. Reason: back to back posts
Old 2nd April 2009, 19:29   #78
BHPian

What a Beauty, that CJ3A over there? I love that jeep.
Old 2nd April 2009, 19:37   #79
Senior - BHPian

what a sight to watch those beauties and beasts! now thats what i call 4x4 offroading thrill.

i have no doubts about people who participated in that enjoyed to the MAX!

well i sure did enjoyed just going through the photos!
Old 2nd April 2009, 20:12   #80
Senior - BHPian

can anybody post some more photos of the gypsy no. 22.
also what is this covering on the bonnet seen in this gypsy & some other jeeps??
Attached Thumbnails
Hyderabad - Jeep Thrills Summer Challenge 2009 - Sunday 29 March-copy-maruti-gypsy-8.jpg  

Old 2nd April 2009, 21:15   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutus View Post
What a Beauty, that CJ3A over there? I love that jeep.
That CJ3A is a beauty indeed, changed hands recently between friends, now owned and driven by Nawab Salik Khan as seen in the pic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
what a sight to watch those beauties and beasts! now thats what i call 4x4 offroading thrill.

i have no doubts about people who participated in that enjoyed to the MAX!

well i sure did enjoyed just going through the photos!
Do join us the next time

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit V8 View Post
also what is this covering on the bonnet seen in this gypsy & some other jeeps??
The black covering that you see on the bonnet is a 'front end protector' or a 'jeep bra', it is intended to protect the paint job on the front of the vehicle from road debris and scratches besides the aesthetic enhancement.
Old 2nd April 2009, 21:18   #82
Senior - BHPian

it protects the bonnet/hood against paint chips from stones!
Old 2nd April 2009, 22:06   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shams View Post
The events are broad based and inclusive in nature so as to accommodate all categories of 4x4s to participate, during preparations we had to test the track with a particular category of 4x4
=========
Although we appreciate their enthusiasm and interest, however one has to look at the bigger scheme of things and that passion has to be manifested constructively.

Shams

When we want to look at the bigger scheme of things then it does become quite important that all participants get the same kind of chances. I think as a participant i would like my competitor to know only as much about the track as i know not more not less. And of course people who have tried the track before can be judged in another category . I understand that the airport was a high security area but i have seen the same thing happen at Pargi too . Anyways Shams my suggestion is dont let any of the participants have a trial run and let the trial runs be done only by the organizers that ways the event will get to see a lot more entries than its seeing now for sure.
Old 2nd April 2009, 22:46   #84
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Sorry guys been slightly busy (never thought I'd ever say that ), but what the heck, busy restoring a 33 Chevy

My take on the Jeep Thrills event?

Here it is

Sunday morning drives in Hyderabad are fun and now that we have some great roads thought I'd give good 'ol RJO a run and attend the Jeep Thrills event albeit as an early bird.

Packed some steaming udupi breakfast and headed out for the airport at 7:30 am (I know I know, the event was supposed to start at 9:30)

RJO cooling her innards in the RedBull tent. Nadeem (Red Cap) joins us after a highspeed blast down Bangalore highway on his Hayabusa. Raj (stetson) was there in his monster TL

Hyderabad - Jeep Thrills Summer Challenge 2009 - Sunday 29 March-img_0031.jpg

Suicide doors have their advantages, Ideal for a impromptu picnic. Nothing like a good breakfast. Shams managed a bite, post a request to postpone the dieting bit

Hey Shams wanna bet no Jeep Thrills bloke in the entire world would have had breakfast delivered in a Packard !!! Lucky guy.

Hyderabad - Jeep Thrills Summer Challenge 2009 - Sunday 29 March-img_0035.jpg

Hyderabad - Jeep Thrills Summer Challenge 2009 - Sunday 29 March-img_0036.jpg

Breakfast over Shams suggested we try the track for the benefit of some media guys.

Nadeem and I hopped into the TL with Raj with some photographers for luggage.

I must say the track created for this event was a definite improvement over the previous one. Its maturing. Wonderfully.

Large scale events like these need to be broadbased to enable as many people in as varied a steed as available in Hyd to not only enjoy the track but slowly improve their skills.

Take the TL for example. Raj was not sure it would manage. With some encouragement from my side he went about it so fluidly we were actually impressed by the TL !!

The track had a decent mix of obstacles and for a first timer Raj ended up having a ball. I could see his excitement as he negotiated every obstacle with that slight hesitation leading to wonderment as he succeeded.

Was the track easy? Well lets say I wouldn't have done it with my 2wd 207

So it was something that needed you to engage 4x4. It gave you a lovely opportunity to explore with your vehicle, with friends and family and eventually warm up to the lure of offroading.

What did Shams and the Jeep Thrills team accomplish once again? They successfully are encouraging more and more people to venture out with families and friends in their offroaders.

Anand enjoyed the track with his Toureg and told me he was amazed it went through despite rubber which caused some doubts in his mind.

In my personal opinion events like these should encourage more and more people into the sport.

I remember the Gulf News fun drive in Dubai did just that for years and it became a hot hot favourite with families. Yes women participated too, as you see here too. That's really the way ahead.

Active participation, broadbased, fun, good food, lovely ambience and above all a chance to ogle at some serious offroad machinery old and new.

Congrats to the organisers. Looking forward to the monsoon event Shams. Lotsa slipping and sliding guaranteed eh?? I like the way you guys are maturing the event track as people get comfy with each one they try.

Last but not the least I'm glad GMR is supporting all these events. That's a great place for so many things. Still can't get over the fun I had at Novotel the previous Sunday.

The good times are here, where is my Gurkha !!

Last edited by DKG : 2nd April 2009 at 22:52.
Old 2nd April 2009, 23:35   #85
Senior - BHPian

@DKG,

It would have been great if you had dropped by to meet the T-BHP gang gathered at the venue!
It was a well made track and the flying machines in the background add to the luster of this event! GMR guys are awesome! (Now, I don't feel bad about paying the UDF of 750 bucks!)
Myself, Milecruncher & Prabhu tried the track but we failed badly as the engine did not have enough dough and the 4L was not of any use to climb the initial steep slope!
Fazal Bhai, I don't even have to comment on those photographs! They are just
Old 3rd April 2009, 00:11   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit V8 View Post
Here you go amit_v8... This one has Tata Sumo Headlights and no bumper
Attached Thumbnails
Hyderabad - Jeep Thrills Summer Challenge 2009 - Sunday 29 March-img_0040.jpg  

Old 3rd April 2009, 01:10   #87
Senior - BHPian

rajismine, thanks a ton. it sure looks ugly.
Old 3rd April 2009, 13:43   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shams View Post
Thank you, 550 no 61 belongs to a good friend Dr Sabir Ali Khan, it is powered by a Nissan BD30 engine and BA10 GB, doc is an avid jeeper and has a snorkel and a winch on it that you can see in the pics, he also has fixed an AC for creature comfort

Thank you, please do join us the next time, you will be most welcome

hi shams,

can you please send me high resolution pictures of doc's 550 ,
i really love the front look of his 550 i have a 4x2 750 dp which will go in surgery up coming months .
(overhaul+body repair+color+4x4+engine+g.b.+t.c )

i would love to join any time even if just to see the beauties but i would kike to be their with my 750 (with 4x4).
Old 3rd April 2009, 14:25   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
hi shams,
can you please send me high resolution pictures of doc's 550 ,
i really love the front look of his 550 i have a 4x2 750 dp which will go in surgery up coming months .
(overhaul+body repair+color+4x4+engine+g.b.+t.c )
i would love to join any time even if just to see the beauties but i would kike to be their with my 750 (with 4x4).
All the best with the build, you can come as you like. Heres a pic from Fazal Sahab's collection

Hyderabad - Jeep Thrills Summer Challenge 2009 - Sunday 29 March-miniimg_9767.jpg
Old 3rd April 2009, 16:58   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Hey Shams wanna bet no Jeep Thrills bloke in the entire world would have had breakfast delivered in a Packard !!! Lucky guy.

Large scale events like these need to be broadbased to enable as many people in as varied a steed as available in Hyd to not only enjoy the track but slowly improve their skills.

Take the TL for example. Raj was not sure it would manage. With some encouragement from my side he went about it so fluidly we were actually impressed by the TL !!

The track had a decent mix of obstacles and for a first timer Raj ended up having a ball. I could see his excitement as he negotiated every obstacle with that slight hesitation leading to wonderment as he succeeded.

So it was something that needed you to engage 4x4. It gave you a lovely opportunity to explore with your vehicle, with friends and family and eventually warm up to the lure of offroading.

What did Shams and the Jeep Thrills team accomplish once again? They successfully are encouraging more and more people to venture out with families and friends in their offroaders.

In my personal opinion events like these should encourage more and more people into the sport.

Active participation, broadbased, fun, good food, lovely ambience and above all a chance to ogle at some serious offroad machinery old and new.

Congrats to the organisers. Looking forward to the monsoon event Shams. Lotsa slipping and sliding guaranteed eh?? I like the way you guys are maturing the event track as people get comfy with each one they try.

The good times are here, where is my Gurkha !!
Sir, One can trust you to make a grand entrance
It was a lovely sight to see the gleaming metallic green beauty early in the morning, and yes, perhaps no JT guy had breakfast delivered in a Packard, until that day, thank you for the regal meal.
Raj seemed to have a good time and he definitely seems to have a better opinion about his TL4x4
Thanks for the post and the kind words

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks