Old 7th April 2009, 16:44   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Steer, it's a DCM Toyota truck engine.
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
If I remember correctly, 3.6L, inline 4 cyl, 95bhp, 225Nm.
Yup you're right - I did a google search, only to be taken right back to a thread here from way back in 2004!

Very interesting engine conversion - a bit low on torque and hp when compared to the TD5s on the original defenders, but I'm sure it will more than make up for that in reliability as well as availability of spares.

Didnt see a winch on that one, though - for the chap who deals in Britpart back home.

When is Gogi bringing his rebuilt Jeep/GPW to an OTR?

Xtreme Power gimme a shout if you need some spares in a hurry, though I'm sure Britpart makes most of them.
Old 7th April 2009, 17:17   #47
BHPian

steeroid
she has a winch in the front if you notice properly
she is running a warn though
this is before we got into britpart
Old 7th April 2009, 17:34   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtreme power View Post
steeroid
she has a winch in the front if you notice properly
she is running a warn though
this is before we got into britpart
I can see the big W of the control unit, but where's the winch? Thats a very clever piece of mounting if there's a winch in the front! Got pics of the mount? This is exactly the sort of mounting I am looking at (i.e., well-concealed).
Old 7th April 2009, 19:25   #49
BHPian

GTO: The next trip lunch and drinks are on me. will be better equipped then. got home at 2am sunday morning so nimbu paani was all i could do. next time we will be more elaborate. btw steiger was packing just a ice box with cold water. we couldnt even find ice early morning. getting a thermo electric cooler for 4 grand. are you interested in one too? it plugs into your 12v point and gets stuff down to 4 to 5 degrees. The fridge is very much more expensive, but for the priviledge of a few cubes of ice you need to shell out 25k minimum. the cooler will do for me
Old 7th April 2009, 21:17   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Due to low ground clearance & lack of low ratio box, he couldn't go any further than the start of the first climb.
Forester does have low range.
Old 7th April 2009, 21:47   #51
BHPian

Great photos and videos guys.
By any chance do we get 4X4 on rental so that folks like me can rent one for a weekend and join you guys on OTRs.
Old 8th April 2009, 09:57   #52
BHPian

Nice! Next time you guys are planning something drop me a line, i live in pune.

It would be fun.
Old 8th April 2009, 13:37   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
V-16,

Unfortunately, that's a restriction within vbulletin. If the post isn't submitted within 15 minutes of uploading pictures, they just disappear! Reported bug.

Just cut-copy-paste your text from the previous post and upload. When done, I will delete the irrelevant posts.

Nice vid BTW!

Thanks! Ok Now i get it. Will split the posts into smaller ones. Here goes:

The path down is thoroughly checked first by foot

4 (+1) Mumbai offroaders on a Sunday outing-dsc06392-large.jpg

GTO plunges down first

4 (+1) Mumbai offroaders on a Sunday outing-dsc06395-large.jpg

Followed by Neville...

4 (+1) Mumbai offroaders on a Sunday outing-dsc06393-large.jpg
4 (+1) Mumbai offroaders on a Sunday outing-dsc06394-large.jpg

...and Stieger

4 (+1) Mumbai offroaders on a Sunday outing-dsc06396-large.jpg
4 (+1) Mumbai offroaders on a Sunday outing-dsc06397-large.jpg

Everyone gathers down below

4 (+1) Mumbai offroaders on a Sunday outing-dsc06398-large.jpg

The way the Landy and the Classic are parked, gives 4Wdrifter a different perspective to shoot.

4 (+1) Mumbai offroaders on a Sunday outing-dsc06399-large.jpg

Smile!!

4 (+1) Mumbai offroaders on a Sunday outing-dsc06400-large.jpg

Abhi kidhar jana hai??!!! Alternatives are discussed

4 (+1) Mumbai offroaders on a Sunday outing-dsc06401-large.jpg

Meanwhile 4WDrifter decides to get his Forrester and park it on this flatissh surface before jumping into another 4X4 to tackle the next leg. So GTO and 4Wdrifter move along to get the Forrester and....... (Find out in the next post!!)
Old 8th April 2009, 14:05   #54
Senior - BHPian

....... and the concluding part...man its taking a hell of a long time for these pics to upload???!!!

And Xtreme power plunges right into some slushy terrain to realise that its really squishy in there, even for the Landy. Result. The Landy is stuck.

4 (+1) Mumbai offroaders on a Sunday outing-dsc06402-large.jpg

Any attempt at getting her out with her own power resulted in getting her stuck further in, deeper. GTO attaches a towing line to his Jeep to pull the Landy out

4 (+1) Mumbai offroaders on a Sunday outing-dsc06403-large.jpg

Three attempts and the Landy refuses to budge. Its too heavy for the Classic to pull out. Steiger's Jeep with a winch, is missed. Steiger's son was exhausted with the heat so he had just left.

4 (+1) Mumbai offroaders on a Sunday outing-dsc06404-large.jpg
4 (+1) Mumbai offroaders on a Sunday outing-dsc06405-large.jpg

The previous attempts had loosened the Landy a bit and at last using both, the cars drivetrain with the Classic pulling and Landy in reverse, the Landy finally came out. Wasn't a very time consuming ordeal. Id say 15 minutes is all it took from the first attempt.

4 (+1) Mumbai offroaders on a Sunday outing-dsc06406-large.jpg

Heres the Video of the Landy being pulled out by GTO

With the Landy retrieved and a quick clean up of the treads and ourselves, its an opportunity of a quick photo op. The Forrester was left here and we proceeded to another terrain to conquer.

4 (+1) Mumbai offroaders on a Sunday outing-dsc06408-large.jpg

Nice!! 4X4s actually look their part when dirty.

4 (+1) Mumbai offroaders on a Sunday outing-dsc06410-large.jpg

Another track, another path, another obstacle obliterated

4 (+1) Mumbai offroaders on a Sunday outing-dsc06411-large.jpg
4 (+1) Mumbai offroaders on a Sunday outing-dsc06412-large.jpg

GTO heads up again...

4 (+1) Mumbai offroaders on a Sunday outing-dsc06413-large.jpg

And further on. GTO's Jeep moves up with the agility of a mountain goat

4 (+1) Mumbai offroaders on a Sunday outing-dsc06414-large.jpg

The Landy's is too wide to travel on the only way in this climb. After a few tries, it is decided best not to attempt the entry. GTO's and my escapade is fresh in everyone's memory

The Landy turns back. Theres just no way ti get through that path without toppling over, many times through....

4 (+1) Mumbai offroaders on a Sunday outing-dsc06415-large.jpg
4 (+1) Mumbai offroaders on a Sunday outing-dsc06416-large.jpg

...Only to get its tyre sidewall pierced with a sharp stump. Gawd thats an expensive replacement but an occupational hazard.

4 (+1) Mumbai offroaders on a Sunday outing-dsc06417-large.jpg

GTO heads back through the very unmotorable roads it had travelled through....

4 (+1) Mumbai offroaders on a Sunday outing-dsc06419-large.jpg

And gets stuck with no traction on any wheel. Almost like a see saw. Nothing a small stone cant mend. The stones were stuck under the tyres to give it traction and in a whiff, the Jeep was on its fours again.

4 (+1) Mumbai offroaders on a Sunday outing-dsc06420-large.jpg
4 (+1) Mumbai offroaders on a Sunday outing-dsc06421-large.jpg

Its 12 noon sharp and away we go down and back. Although we would have loved to go on but the GP was on everyone's mind. Although we had ample time left, we called it a day. We bid adieu to friends, old and new and with new found respect for these agile and capable 4X4 machines we headed back home. I travelled with Neville. We made it to Bombay by 1.30 and after a quick wash I met up with Dippy, Schumi and the gang at Phoenix mills to watch the GP. The GP was a washout as everyone knows but i had a good story to tell, about my OTR day.

Thanks to everyone who participated. It was great meeting you guys and thanks once again GTO, for inviting me to this OTR.

I now visit my garage daily, to get my CJ3B on road ASAP eagerly awaiting the next such event.

Im Already Loving It!!
Old 8th April 2009, 15:03   #55
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53BHP View Post
btw steiger was packing just a ice box with cold water. we couldnt even find ice early morning. getting a thermo electric cooler for 4 grand........but for the priviledge of a few cubes of ice you need to shell out 25k minimum. the cooler will do for me
The ice box will do for me! I've learnt that it is best to keep things simple with the Jeep. An icebox has got to be good for atleast 8 - 10 hours. Not bad for 500 bucks, wot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Forester does have low range.
Thanks for the correction, Guna.

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1fan View Post
By any chance do we get 4X4 on rental so that folks like me can rent one for a weekend and join you guys on OTRs.
If 4x4's were available on rental, do you think we'd take our own machines out for such a hammering . I doubt anyone rents out 4x4s, but if you find someone, please let me know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motocamp View Post
Nice! Next time you guys are planning something drop me a line, i live in pune.

It would be fun.
Awesome. Is your 540 a 4x4? Can you show us additional spots on the Lonavla - Pune route?

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Steiger's Jeep with a winch, is missed. Steiger's son was exhausted with the heat so he had just left.
He was there at this point (you can see him in the last tow picture), and left only in the second stage (right of the dam). But the winch would have been too easy. It's fun to stress the Jeeps out.

Addy had plonked himself on the incline just ahead, as if he didn't want to move from there! And xtreme power jumping from the roof of the Landy to the door to the hatch (didn't want to step in the muck) was a class-act. Frequent practice in the garage, Allen? You were moving with the swiftness of an acrobat!!

Quote:
I now visit my garage daily, to get my CJ3B on road ASAP eagerly awaiting the next such event.
Maybe two sundays from now.

Let me know if we can go to check your Jeep out sometime over the weekend. Great pics & report, thanks for sharing!

Last edited by GTO : 8th April 2009 at 15:06.
Old 8th April 2009, 15:39   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The ice box will do for me! I've learnt that it is best to keep things simple with the Jeep. An icebox has got to be good for atleast 8 - 10 hours. Not bad for 500 bucks, wot?
I would agree.. Whenever I sue my icebox, i stuff it with ice cubes or flaked ice and we are set. In the portable ice box, which plugs into the cigarette lighter, stuffing ice helps get it cooler fast but the problem is its too small to hold more than 2-3 cans and probably a bottle of water after the ice

Quote:
If 4x4's were available on rental, do you think we'd take our own machines out for such a hammering . I doubt anyone rents out 4x4s, but if you find someone, please let me know.
I would like to know too. Also what disclaimer would have t be signed?

Quote:
He was there at this point (you can see him in the last tow picture), and left only in the second stage (right of the dam). But the winch would have been too easy. It's fun to stress the Jeeps out.
Ooops my bad. Yes he did come back but he was almost gone when the Jeep was stuck. I remember us yelling at him far away as he could be seen dirving away. I stand corrected.

Quote:
xtreme power jumping from the roof of the Landy to the door to the hatch (didn't want to step in the muck) was a class-act.
I remember seeing his socks on the bonnet when the Landy came out

Quote:
Maybe two sundays from now.
I think that would expecting too much. but i in for the next OTR again as a passenger.

Quote:
Let me know if we can go to check your Jeep out sometime over the weekend. Great pics & report, thanks for sharing!
Anytime you are free. Its pretty close to your place. Buzz me anyday when you want to go.
Old 8th April 2009, 19:03   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear GTO and all - a picture for your information. The highway is in the top right corner. The angle and elevation are attained as seen. The vehicle is obviously a 4 wheel drive.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Attached Thumbnails
4 (+1) Mumbai offroaders on a Sunday outing-dsc00327.jpg  

Old 8th April 2009, 19:06   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

Gogi paaji, great report, narration & pictures sirjee. I can clearly make out that you are 'hooked' onto this.

BE WARNED: This off-roading this is a 'ONE WAY STREET' -- once you get in, there is no turning back

Look forward to some 4x4 action with all the Mumbai gang in the monsoons. I am sure by then you all would have found several trails/places for some great off-roading.
Old 8th April 2009, 19:16   #59
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear GTO and all - a picture for your information. The highway is in the top right corner. The angle and elevation are attained as seen. The vehicle is obviously a 4 wheel drive.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Awesome climb, a sideways slip and you're going to tumble all the way down. Pretty high up. Did the Scorp finally make it to the top?
Old 8th April 2009, 19:17   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
The vehicle is obviously a 4 wheel drive.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Holy Cow, thats amazing... Which place is this Behram Sir ???

Most Viewed