Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2009, 11:38   #196
Senior - BHPian

Recee or mini TPC 2009:-)

Hello guys,
We had a blazing hot recee on 2nd of August 2009 or rather i should say a mini TPC which gave us the the glimpse of whats in store for us It all started from the usual campsite on sunday morning at about 9a.m after a heavy breakfast. Guys who drove 100+ kms including me we dozing off as we didnt have enough sleep before night and early morning drive made it worse. We guys reached the river bed spot (a different location this time) and a steep decent greeted us. Siva a newbie had his first taste of extreme OTR when his white jeep leaned in extreme angle when he misjudged the side slope. He was so terrified that he kept his one leg out to prevent the jeep rolling. Later instructions from seniors helped him get out of that situation unhurt:-) This situation made us demonstrate how to make a safe decent to other guys who were also relatively new to offroading. The trick was simple attack slope straight with no clutch and no brake. No rocket science!!

Later after making few minor climbs we headed to the spot where there was a steep slope with a water hole and soft sand on exit. Raja mohan with his newly revived green MM540 with XD3p and JK sand cum highway tyres on army rims attempted the slope and came out struggling for grip. The same section was attempeted in revese direction only to get stuck by participants:-) Mahendran a newbie again in his white MM540 hard top with p/s and NDMS 700.16 was loosing grip too early due to over aggresive tyres. He also ended up in a dangereous side slope while reversing! Later he was asked to turn into the slope and that was the lesson he learnt.

The next section was a water hole crossing with water upto bonnet level. Pepped up raja mohan in his green 540 was again the first one to try it and came out in flying colours! Later Ravi a newbie took a new path straight into the ditch where water was too deep with lot of muck without much momentum. He got stuck and big time. Arka didnt mind going going into dirty water for rescue the black XD3p powered Cj3B. My jeep and Arkas jeep driven by Major Roy struggled pulling out the 3B which was deep stuck in the mud. Later in the process of pulling even i got stuck. some front and back manevouring helped me come out of that stiuation. Later Arkas mighty jeep with diff locks and LSD combo pulled out the 3b.

This didnt deter other guys from taking the plunge. We all took our turn to cross the water mud hole. Rajamohan did it repeatedly and later inspection of airfilter by us just as a preventive measure showed up water in it. We cleaned the airfilter unit and dried the airfilter element and drove back the vehicle. His clutch also got stuck but later released it by itself after muck and water dried up.

Dr.jones vehicle suffered transfer-case checknut failrure and was resting after minor OTR. The jeep was repaired on the spot and doc could drive it back home. Vikrams gypsy didnt take the plunge into water as it was a petrol and second his condensor was exposed and didnt want to damage it. Further lack of articulation always kept its one wheel in air. This shows how each vehicle behaves in different situations.

We all headed back to the camp hungry for food. I and couple of guys left the place and organisers stayed for further breifing and OTR in the evening.

All in all a good and tiring OTR

Lots of pics are there! Will be uploaded shortly!
Old 3rd August 2009, 11:57   #197
BHPian

Final Recce before TPC

If yesterday's outing was anything to go by, boy-oh-boy, is everyone in for some tough belting under the palar sun. Guess its rightly said that 'there is sand, and then there is palar sand'. 'Deceptive' seems to be an understatement as most found out.

Sweltering heat, crazy terrain with soft sand and muddy pools of water were good enough to dehydrate both men and machine. But.. but if that was not bad enough, the icing on the cake goes to the captain of the herd who made it a point to drive the living daylights out of every single soul around. Can't blame him can you? Guess thats what makes him one of the best around. It was a drill for all organizers and volunteers to ensure that they were prepared to stay ahead of the tarrain.

The exercise included, steep sand climbs and decends, obstacle courses and water crossings that put the machines to the tests. The group primarily consisted of 3Bs and 540s besides the lonely ranger "Headers" in his MG 413 which was for sure giving the Jeeps a run for their money. I know Arka is watching.

We returned to the campsite for lunch and set out once again to the clay pits. A couple of hours there and it was time to head back. For a fact, eveyone was exhausted, rolled and donned in sand dust and grime but smiling cuz we had survived another day marked out by Arka to be a back breaker. Photos would follow.
Old 3rd August 2009, 12:24   #198
Senior - BHPian

Recce#3 02-08-09 Part1

Hi Guys,

Vinod has given a comprehensive writeup, and so has Vijay

The first batch of pics from Venkat Muthaiyan.

The Basic Obstacles were
1) Sand Climbs
2) Slush Pond
3) Clay Pits - Technical Obstacles
Attached Thumbnails
INDIA's Toughest 4WD off-Road Competition - TPC2009-img_0702.jpg  

INDIA's Toughest 4WD off-Road Competition - TPC2009-img_0707.jpg  

INDIA's Toughest 4WD off-Road Competition - TPC2009-img_0713.jpg  

INDIA's Toughest 4WD off-Road Competition - TPC2009-img_0714.jpg  

INDIA's Toughest 4WD off-Road Competition - TPC2009-img_0715.jpg  

INDIA's Toughest 4WD off-Road Competition - TPC2009-img_0717.jpg  

INDIA's Toughest 4WD off-Road Competition - TPC2009-img_0718.jpg  

INDIA's Toughest 4WD off-Road Competition - TPC2009-img_0719.jpg  

INDIA's Toughest 4WD off-Road Competition - TPC2009-img_0720.jpg  

INDIA's Toughest 4WD off-Road Competition - TPC2009-img_0722.jpg  

INDIA's Toughest 4WD off-Road Competition - TPC2009-img_0723.jpg  

INDIA's Toughest 4WD off-Road Competition - TPC2009-img_0724.jpg  

INDIA's Toughest 4WD off-Road Competition - TPC2009-img_0726.jpg  

INDIA's Toughest 4WD off-Road Competition - TPC2009-img_0727.jpg  

INDIA's Toughest 4WD off-Road Competition - TPC2009-img_0729.jpg  

INDIA's Toughest 4WD off-Road Competition - TPC2009-img_0730.jpg  

INDIA's Toughest 4WD off-Road Competition - TPC2009-img_0731.jpg  

INDIA's Toughest 4WD off-Road Competition - TPC2009-img_0734.jpg  

INDIA's Toughest 4WD off-Road Competition - TPC2009-img_0736.jpg  

INDIA's Toughest 4WD off-Road Competition - TPC2009-img_0738.jpg  

INDIA's Toughest 4WD off-Road Competition - TPC2009-img_0739.jpg  

INDIA's Toughest 4WD off-Road Competition - TPC2009-img_0740.jpg  

INDIA's Toughest 4WD off-Road Competition - TPC2009-img_0741.jpg  

INDIA's Toughest 4WD off-Road Competition - TPC2009-img_0742.jpg  

INDIA's Toughest 4WD off-Road Competition - TPC2009-img_0744.jpg  

INDIA's Toughest 4WD off-Road Competition - TPC2009-img_0747.jpg  

INDIA's Toughest 4WD off-Road Competition - TPC2009-img_0748.jpg  

INDIA's Toughest 4WD off-Road Competition - TPC2009-img_0749.jpg  

INDIA's Toughest 4WD off-Road Competition - TPC2009-img_0750.jpg  

INDIA's Toughest 4WD off-Road Competition - TPC2009-img_0755.jpg  

Old 3rd August 2009, 13:12   #199
Senior - BHPian

Recce#3 02-08-09 Part2

Hi Guys,

What we covered in this recce (excluding the Clay pits) is the size of one Special Stage, we intend to give 10-15 every day .

And the Captain of the Herd (Sheep Thrills & Adventure Zone - TPC) is Maj.S.R.Roy, clockwork precision and daring do is what sums him up best.

Regards,

Arka

PS - Pics by Venkat Muthaiyan
Attached Thumbnails
INDIA's Toughest 4WD off-Road Competition - TPC2009-img_0756.jpg  

INDIA's Toughest 4WD off-Road Competition - TPC2009-img_0758.jpg  

INDIA's Toughest 4WD off-Road Competition - TPC2009-img_0760.jpg  

INDIA's Toughest 4WD off-Road Competition - TPC2009-img_0761.jpg  

INDIA's Toughest 4WD off-Road Competition - TPC2009-img_0762.jpg  

INDIA's Toughest 4WD off-Road Competition - TPC2009-img_0763.jpg  

INDIA's Toughest 4WD off-Road Competition - TPC2009-img_0765.jpg  

INDIA's Toughest 4WD off-Road Competition - TPC2009-img_0766.jpg  

INDIA's Toughest 4WD off-Road Competition - TPC2009-img_0767.jpg  

INDIA's Toughest 4WD off-Road Competition - TPC2009-img_0769.jpg  

INDIA's Toughest 4WD off-Road Competition - TPC2009-img_0770.jpg  

INDIA's Toughest 4WD off-Road Competition - TPC2009-img_0772.jpg  

INDIA's Toughest 4WD off-Road Competition - TPC2009-img_0774.jpg  

INDIA's Toughest 4WD off-Road Competition - TPC2009-img_0777.jpg  

INDIA's Toughest 4WD off-Road Competition - TPC2009-img_0782.jpg  

INDIA's Toughest 4WD off-Road Competition - TPC2009-img_0783.jpg  

INDIA's Toughest 4WD off-Road Competition - TPC2009-img_0784.jpg  

INDIA's Toughest 4WD off-Road Competition - TPC2009-img_0792.jpg  

INDIA's Toughest 4WD off-Road Competition - TPC2009-img_0794.jpg  

INDIA's Toughest 4WD off-Road Competition - TPC2009-img_0795.jpg  

INDIA's Toughest 4WD off-Road Competition - TPC2009-img_0796.jpg  

INDIA's Toughest 4WD off-Road Competition - TPC2009-img_0797.jpg  

INDIA's Toughest 4WD off-Road Competition - TPC2009-img_0798.jpg  

INDIA's Toughest 4WD off-Road Competition - TPC2009-img_0799.jpg  

INDIA's Toughest 4WD off-Road Competition - TPC2009-img_0800.jpg  

Old 3rd August 2009, 13:45   #200
Distinguished - BHPian

IMHO The exhaust on this Gypsy is dangerous. This should be covered with a metal "shroud" like bike exhausts near the pillion foot area. OR this is a burn accident waiting to happen

Old 3rd August 2009, 14:25   #201
Senior - BHPian

i think the owner made the exhaust like this to make it easy for him to pass through high level water and muddy areas!
Old 3rd August 2009, 14:27   #202
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
IMHO The exhaust on this Gypsy is dangerous. This should be covered with a metal "shroud" like bike exhausts near the pillion foot area. OR this is a burn accident waiting to happen

That is a temporary arrangement done for TPC 09. and yes it is for the water crossing sections.
Old 3rd August 2009, 14:40   #203
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrol_head View Post
That is a temporary arrangement done for TPC 09. and yes it is for the water crossing sections.
I can quite understand your reason...what I was pointing out is that the location of exhaust and proximity of people (in picture and likely during OTR's) can cause some serious burns. Try and put a shroud cover so that the possibility of direct contact is eliminated.

Alternatively wound it with asbestos rope used in pots of heavy vehicle exhaust where the pipe is directed upwards.

That said it does give your vehicle a mean look!
Old 3rd August 2009, 14:47   #204
BHPian

Quote:
I can quite understand your reason...what I was pointing out is that the location of exhaust and proximity of people (in picture and likely during OTR's) can cause some serious burns. Try and put a shroud cover so that the possibility of direct contact is eliminated.

Alternatively wound it with asbestos rope used in pots of heavy vehicle exhaust where the pipe is directed upwards.

Try telling that to headers (its his Gypsy) - he almost got his own arm onto it once... Besides he is still experimenting with a few options. So its impossible to guess how it would turn up on D-day
Old 3rd August 2009, 15:16   #205
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
Later Ravi a newbie took a new path straight into the ditch where water was too deep with lot of muck without much momentum. He got stuck and big time. Arka didnt mind going going into dirty water for rescue the black XD3p powered Cj3B.
Oh, the kind of characters you meet at an offroad. What a greenhorn, went driving straight into the ditch, jeez! I gotta meet this guy sometime.

Last edited by the_trooper : 3rd August 2009 at 15:19. Reason: trimmed quoted msg
Old 3rd August 2009, 15:22   #206
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_trooper View Post
Oh, the kind of characters you meet at an offroad. What a greenhorn, went driving straight into the ditch, jeez! I gotta meet this guy sometime.
These newbie offroaders are Lunatics, I tell you. I wonder why Arka even let them near a jeep!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala
among newbies he was the one who was picking ticks sooner than others

Last edited by nitrous : 3rd August 2009 at 15:27.
Old 3rd August 2009, 15:23   #207
Senior - BHPian

Greenhorn

Quote:
Well not his mistake entirely! He is an avid long distance biker. This was his first OTR. Must say among newbies he was the one who was picking tricks sooner than others

Later after few good words from arka he crossed that mud hole not once but several times. Inspirational words help sometimes

p.s- Trooper bhai...who are you? Your real name please...i hope you are not that green horn himself:-)))

Last edited by vinod_nookala : 3rd August 2009 at 15:27.
Old 3rd August 2009, 15:26   #208
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrol_head View Post

Arrey baba, that is for grilling fish caught from the Palar river. You are gonna get hungry too, remember ?

Last edited by esteem_lover : 3rd August 2009 at 15:27.
Old 3rd August 2009, 15:34   #209
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

This vehicle belongs to Headers winner of TPC 2008 and my team mate. He has some serious plans this time

I think since this is just for TPC i suggest some stickering like 'hot object' will help just incase, somebody doesnt know whats that for.
Old 3rd August 2009, 15:48   #210
BHPian

Quote:
lol you forgot to mention the NEUTRAL bit... You sure seem to be seriously ticked off by this 'greenhorn' Anyways are you not happy that it wasn't you? especially considering the goodies he got from Arka.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed