Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2009, 19:29   #271
Senior - BHPian

Its all about affordability!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
Instead of discouraging people with sophisticated offroaders (so called soft roaders) like the ones mentioned above we are still stuck with cheaper alternatives truely believing they are the best. Arent we? ...
Dear Wolf,
No one discourages a capable off roader. To prove that one has got a capable offroader (except jeeps & Gypsy's) one need to have guts both financial and mental!

As you said, one needs to experiment with these vehicles. But all are so expensive to buy and maintain it becomes probitive.

We Indians had closely guarded market and hence we are left with only 2 choices as the newer options are damn expensive!

even if you take the only other option i.e safari 2.0 tdi 4wd which can be owned as little as 2.5 to 3.5 lakhs (second hand), the repairs are expensive and for that price one can have definately more capable and nicely done up MM550 xdb, plus older safari's were far less reliable!

As i can see affordability is the only concern!

p.s- If i had money i would have loved to push Scorpio/safari 4wd or heck even Bolero 4wd to limits with little modifications!

Last edited by vinod_nookala : 12th August 2009 at 19:33.
Old 12th August 2009, 20:12   #272
Senior - BHPian

We are completely off topic here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
Pajero is a well known name in offroading along with G-wagens, Patrols, Landcruisers, defenders etc. Now moving ahead dont you think we should explore more of these types than the dated jeeps (willys, MMs, CJs...) which my no means are lesser alternatives interms of performance but yes price wise, definitely yes!

Instead of discouraging people with sophisticated offroaders (so called soft roaders) like the ones mentioned above we are still stuck with cheaper alternatives truely believing they are the best. Arent we? The more we encourage the new age machines to get down and dirty the faster we will evolve and the farther we will crawl.....well, similar to offroaders we already see in the western world.

I am taking the thread off track...so I'd prefer to abort here.

Sir Wolf - I'd love to thrash a Pajero or any of the above mentioned vehicles if someone can lend me one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post

As you said, one needs to experiment with these vehicles. But all are so expensive to buy and maintain it becomes probitive.

We Indians had closely guarded market and hence we are left with only 2 choices as the newer options are damn expensive!

even if you take the only other option i.e safari 2.0 tdi 4wd which can be owned as little as 2.5 to 3.5 lakhs (second hand), the repairs are expensive and for that price one can have definately more capable and nicely done up MM550 xdb, plus older safari's were far less reliable!

As i can see affordability is the only concern!

p.s- If i had money i would have loved to push Scorpio/safari 4wd or heck even Bolero 4wd to limits with little modifications!
Also, how many of us would have the heart to thrash a 10L vehicle? Especially if your sides are getting scratched and the underchassis rubbing at each obstacle!

Would you do it wolf in your VTEC?

@Mods : Maybe the above should go to a new thread!

Coming back to TPC 09

Just got back my gypsy and filled her up - yes a TANKFUL of PETROL. Hoping this year TPC is good and we get to learn new techniques as well as explore our limits.

Will update this thread after i come back!
Ciao

Last edited by headers : 12th August 2009 at 20:15.
Old 13th August 2009, 12:15   #273
Senior - BHPian

All the best headers & other TPC participants (including organisers)

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post

Coming back to TPC 09

Just got back my gypsy and filled her up - yes a TANKFUL of PETROL. Hoping this year TPC is good and we get to learn new techniques as well as explore our limits.

Will update this thread after i come back!
Ciao

Headers,
Wishing you all the best for the event. You and your Gypsy was the Ace point behind our win last year. This year unfortunately iam not able to make it. Palar made easy for competitors

Wishing all the participants a great OTR, and competition in right spirit!

P.S- Wishing Arka and his team of organisers all the best and set new standards in organising a mega event!
Old 13th August 2009, 13:06   #274
BHPian

Hello Mr.Wolf,
I accept your views, we have to progress in our passion by giving way to newer and more advanced vehicles. Iam not against a newer generation vehicle, Iam not much inclined towards a LWb vehicle, Its just that I personally feel better, off roading in a SWB ( Not just jeep, any SWB ) I would love to have a wrangler kind of newer generation vehicle.
Dr.Jones
P.S - Iam starting right now to TPC ( This is just to keep the post in this section ;-) , sorry mods)
Old 13th August 2009, 13:57   #275
Senior - BHPian

mein nikala gaddi leke

Quote:
Headers,
Wishing you all the best for the event. You and your Gypsy was the Ace point behind our win last year. This year unfortunately iam not able to make it. Palar made easy for competitors

Wishing all the participants a great OTR, and competition in right spirit!

P.S- Wishing Arka and his team of organisers all the best and set new standards in organising a mega event!
Hurray,
Turn of events u may say...iam joining palar to have fun. See you guys with updates next week.

with regards

vinod
Old 13th August 2009, 22:02   #276
Senior - BHPian

Good luck, everyone.
Endure all the way, man and machine!
Old 13th August 2009, 23:20   #277
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Also, how many of us would have the heart to thrash a 10L vehicle? Especially if your sides are getting scratched and the underchassis rubbing at each obstacle!
I almost trashed an 17L vehicle before coming to my senses. We don't not get vehicle specific offroad accessories in India, and OE spares for CBU vehicles cost a bomb. What is the point in leaving the vehicle in the workshop for a month after a serious OTR waiting for the spares?

Anyway, all the best for a fantastic event. Good luck to all competitors, drive safely.
Old 14th August 2009, 00:18   #278
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hurray,
Turn of events u may say...iam joining palar to have fun. See you guys with updates next week.

with regards

vinod
Yuuhoo!! Too happy about that.. All the best everyone.
Old 14th August 2009, 13:42   #279
Senior - BHPian

It's blazing hot here in Chennai today. Some tufts of clouds now and then give respite from the searing Sun, and the occasional breeze also adds a helping hand.
Very unusually hot for August (it is usually the humidity which is high during these days).

Day 1 of the TPC 2009 must be on in full swing. I wonder how the weather is at the competition spot now. I dont expect it to be very different from here.

There is a forecast of rain tomorrow. Hope this comes true.

Last edited by Blue Thunder : 14th August 2009 at 13:44.
Old 15th August 2009, 02:24   #280
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
...There is a forecast of rain tomorrow. Hope this comes true.
It is raining heavily now...hopefully tomorrow will be cooler .
Old 17th August 2009, 10:28   #281
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
It is raining heavily now...hopefully tomorrow will be cooler .
My first thought on seeing the rain on Saturday and the cool weather on Saturday thru Sunday, was that the TPC guys would have got some relief from the sun. My LC is in the shop so could not come there even to spectate.

Guys, reports and pis please...

Gears,
Red-One.
Old 17th August 2009, 10:48   #282
Senior - BHPian

Arka, out with the pictures now. We are waiting.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks