Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 21st May 2009, 11:42   #76
BHPian

Driving down from Delhi in Jeeps at this time of the year when the mercury goes overboard on the scales? The positives - paves way for an extensive travelogue.
Old 21st May 2009, 14:44   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
PS - I would suggest all to-be participants to form a chain(Delhi-Jodhpur-Mumbai-Bangalore) and drive down its more fun and safer.
If the GQ route is decided than Udaipur can be the point to get together for Delhi and Jodhpur guys.
Old 22nd May 2009, 11:20   #78
BHPian

Hi Everyone,

Well I was just going through the 4x4 Excursions forum and saw the thread "India's toughest 4WD off road competition" so I clicked and started reading right from the 1'st post. My interest level increasing with each thread I read. But then come the pics where the Jeeps and other off-road vehicles are performing at various obstacles, The interest that had been built just went "POOOF". I thought I must read on and should make an opinion so soon.

In the meantime I also went to the "Palar Challenge" home page and read a line "Not for sissies.....this is the Palar Challenge and not a family picnic with 4WD" also "Whiners, stay away". I went through the whole site and came to a conclusion that "THE PALAR CHALLENGE IS AN OVER HYPED OFFROADING EVENT ORGANIZED ONLY FOR THE SISSIES".

I must say there are far better offroading events on this very own "4x4 Excursions" where vehicles have performed far more difficult obsticles, not only in the Southern region but in the North as well.

I guess the organizers should look at some of the "Rainforest Challenge" videos to get inspiration of organising an offroading event. I agree we cant do the same as them but at least better than the current "Over Hyped Palar Challenge".

Mods please do not edit/delete this post as I do not intend to offend anyone, its just an opinion and maybe one can come with better ideas for the challenge.

Regards,

Autocraze.
Old 22nd May 2009, 11:54   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autocraze View Post
Hi Everyone,

Well I was just going through the 4x4 Excursions forum and saw the thread "India's toughest 4WD off road competition" so I clicked and started reading right from the 1'st post. My interest level increasing with each thread I read. But then come the pics where the Jeeps and other off-road vehicles are performing at various obstacles, The interest that had been built just went "POOOF". I thought I must read on and should make an opinion so soon.

In the meantime I also went to the "Palar Challenge" home page and read a line "Not for sissies.....this is the Palar Challenge and not a family picnic with 4WD" also "Whiners, stay away". I went through the whole site and came to a conclusion that "THE PALAR CHALLENGE IS AN OVER HYPED OFFROADING EVENT ORGANIZED ONLY FOR THE SISSIES".

I must say there are far better offroading events on this very own "4x4 Excursions" where vehicles have performed far more difficult obsticles, not only in the Southern region but in the North as well.

I guess the organizers should look at some of the "Rainforest Challenge" videos to get inspiration of organising an offroading event. I agree we cant do the same as them but at least better than the current "Over Hyped Palar Challenge".
I think you just got offended by the 'toughest' & the 'not for sissies' part. Or maybe you carry a prejudice against these guys. It is quite evident that you have come to this conclusion by just seeing the pictures put up here. I'd suggest you back your opinion with a little bit of positive action, say drive down to really find out.
Old 22nd May 2009, 12:32   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
I think you just got offended by the 'toughest' & the 'not for sissies' part. Or maybe you carry a prejudice against these guys. It is quite evident that you have come to this conclusion by just seeing the pictures put up here. I'd suggest you back your opinion with a little bit of positive action, say drive down to really find out.

What I feel is that you did not understand the context to which I made the statements. I did not get offended by the statements at all. Just because the home page says that its not for sissies and whiners, everyone on this thread seems to be going with the flow. I bet there are many people who actually feel this event is over hyped but just dont want to say anything. Agree pics are not something one makes an opinion on but they at least help in framing an opinion. All I'm saying is that this challenge is no way the toughest offroad challenge as there have been offroading events organized by the Jeep thrills and NIOC which are by far tougher than the Palar Challenge.

And yes the drive for Palar challenge from Delhi would surely be a challenge. But what do I see when I get there? Sit and watch "The toughest 4WD challenge"? I'd rather go for an offroading event the NIOC organizes here in Delhi or Chandigarh.

Regards

Autocraze
Old 22nd May 2009, 12:39   #81
Senior - BHPian

@Autocraze: Sir, a strongly worded opinion that you have. Why not participate to decide whether it is tough or not.

And maybe, you should not get carried away by wordings. There have been multiple instances wherein participants have complained about the heat and the toughness of the event.

So Sir, Please participate with your vehicle rather than express strong views!

Looking forward to meeting you in person!

Quote:
I bet there are many people who actually feel this event is over hyped but just dont want to say anything.....
WHY?

Quote:
this challenge is no way the toughest offroad challenge as there have been offroading events organized by the Jeep thrills and NIOC which are by far tougher than the Palar Challenge.
I guess this is organised by JT too..

Last edited by Technocrat : 22nd May 2009 at 18:23.
Old 22nd May 2009, 12:49   #82
Senior - BHPian

Pardon my ignorance, what is NIOC ? Google says it is National Iranian Oil Company. Team-BHP does not have the acronym for NIOC.
Old 22nd May 2009, 12:53   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Everyone,

Mods please do not edit/delete this post as I do not intend to offend anyone, its just an opinion and maybe one can come with better ideas for the challenge.

Regards,

Autocraze.
1. The photos do not do justice to the event. It has always been an event which was never publicized too much due to the sheer fact that it was not done with commercial interests in mind. Hence nobody actually bothered to get a professional photographer stationed at every obstacle to make the simplest of maneuvers look like a vertical climb to the summit of Mt.Everest. or a descend into the Marina Trench.

2. I am completely flabbergasted with the comparison or even a reference to the Rainforest Challenge. Just wondering if someone with experience in managing an event would try and compare an event that has government backup, monetary availability at fingertips, core commercial interests and publicity like its the end of the world to an event that is primarily run by enthusiasts with no monetary motives but make it a point to make it the best of what is available.

3. Coming back to good old India, its outright hilarious to ridicule an event without knowing what goes into it, leave alone having the nerve to come down and participate with an innate fear of having to limp back home without completing the course. Its a typical case of 'Sour Grapes'. I sympathise.

4. Tougher courses down here or up north, the issue seems to be the inability of quite a few to actually face the gruelling task of getting through PALAR in one piece (man and machine included) and its quite evident in the way the weak hearted prefer to stay out or foul mouth at something they cant handle. Sympathies again. There are quite a few who turn up and do their best but fall short. Hats off to them.Atleast they tried.

I have no personal or commercial interests attached to this event but I know the kind of work being put in behind the scenes. As a sheer enthusiast, I would like to extend my invitation to anyone who can come down here, get through with it and then post their comments on how 'not so difficult' it is.

Kindly do not ridicule someone's hard work. Its incorrigible.

Mods please do not edit/delete this post as I do not intend to offend anyone, its just an opinion and maybe one can come with better ideas to avoid the challenge than ridicule it

Last edited by petrol_head : 22nd May 2009 at 12:57.
Old 22nd May 2009, 13:04   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Pardon my ignorance, what is NIOC ? Google says it is National Iranian Oil Company. Team-BHP does not have the acronym for NIOC.
NIOC is an offshoot of Jeep thrills -

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrol_head View Post
Vijay - A 5 star post by you. Excellent
Old 22nd May 2009, 13:07   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
NIOC is an offshoot of Jeep thrills -

Vijay - A 5 star post by you. Excellent

Guess that explains that.

@jackass, you are promoted to jackuknowwhat.
Old 22nd May 2009, 13:08   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I guess NIOC is "North Indian Offroading Club".
Old 22nd May 2009, 13:10   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Esttem_Lover,

Well it just show's how much you visit the 4x4 offroading forum and specially the 4x4 excursions which is part of it, not to mention "The Palar Challenge" thread is in the same. On the first page itself there are few threads on the OTR's conducted by NIOC members and T-BHP members.

NIOC was founded by Jeep Thrill members.

Cheers !!!!!!!!

Randeep

Last edited by randeep04 : 22nd May 2009 at 13:24.
Old 22nd May 2009, 13:27   #88
BHPian

Does anyone remember the burnt clutch of the petrol Jeep from TPC 2007?
Smoking .....

The word Phoenix - had acquired a whole new meaning. Rising from the ashes - quite literally

Last edited by petrol_head : 22nd May 2009 at 13:34.
Old 22nd May 2009, 13:46   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by randeep04 View Post
Hi Esttem_Lover,

Well it just show's how much you visit the 4x4 offroading forum and specially the 4x4 excursions which is part of it,
randeep, agreed, I do not venture much into 4x4 threads, but i have enough to know that NIOC is definitely an offshoot of the Jeepthrills, the tone in mr.autocraze's post clearly gave it away, specially the second post.
Old 22nd May 2009, 13:49   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrol_head View Post
1. The photos do not do justice to the event. It has always been an event which was never publicized too much due to the sheer fact that it was not done with commercial interests in mind. Hence nobody actually bothered to get a professional photographer stationed at every obstacle to make the simplest of maneuvers look like a vertical climb to the summit of Mt.Everest. or a descend into the Marina Trench.

2. I am completely flabbergasted with the comparison or even a reference to the Rainforest Challenge. Just wondering if someone with experience in managing an event would try and compare an event that has government backup, monetary availability at fingertips, core commercial interests and publicity like its the end of the world to an event that is primarily run by enthusiasts with no monetary motives but make it a point to make it the best of what is available.

3. Coming back to good old India, its outright hilarious to ridicule an event without knowing what goes into it, leave alone having the nerve to come down and participate with an innate fear of having to limp back home without completing the course. Its a typical case of 'Sour Grapes'. I sympathise.

4. Tougher courses down here or up north, the issue seems to be the inability of quite a few to actually face the gruelling task of getting through PALAR in one piece (man and machine included) and its quite evident in the way the weak hearted prefer to stay out or foul mouth at something they cant handle. Sympathies again. There are quite a few who turn up and do their best but fall short. Hats off to them.Atleast they tried.

I have no personal or commercial interests attached to this event but I know the kind of work being put in behind the scenes. As a sheer enthusiast, I would like to extend my invitation to anyone who can come down here, get through with it and then post their comments on how 'not so difficult' it is.

Mods please do not edit/delete this post as I do not intend to offend anyone, its just an opinion and maybe one can come with better ideas to avoid the challenge than ridicule it
@ Jackass,

1. Well thank you for your sympathies and an insight into the " Toughest 4WD offroad challenge".

2. The reference to Rain forest challenge was so that we can take tips in finding locations and the kind of obstacles we can throw to participants. I did not at all mention the Govt's financial support. The location where the earlier Palar Challenges took place is a tad too boring and so are the obstacles.

3. Driving down for the challenge and driving back to Delhi yes could give me a back ache but seeing the challenge would surely give me a head ache. Therefore I rather skip the ordeal. I love sour grapes.

4. I wish I could come and see "The Palar" and meet the few who survived (man and machine) the dangers incorporated in the challenge.

5. I know a lot of work goes into organizing an event and respect the people behind it.

6. "Avoid the challenge"? Which challenge? Oh "THE Thoughest 4WD Offroad Palar challenge ".

Regards,

Autocraze
Closed Thread

Most Viewed