Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2009, 14:23   #91
Senior - BHPian

Dear Auto craze,

If you think that we will get offended by your statements Palar is not Indias toughest challenge, then it is purely your opinion and we respect that. May be you are an avid off road driver of Dakar rally of sorts and hence palar is a puny challenge.

Well organisers claim that this is toughest not because it has the most toughest terrain to offer, it is tough because it is a 3 day event and heat here on the river bed takes the toll out of machines and human's as well. There is a proof of saying it tough as in previous events most of the jeeps and other 4wds including participants could not survive even second day of ordeal.

There have been events orgnised in karnataka and kerela apart from NOIC up in north. If you have organised any event on a large scale you would know how hard it is to get things at place. Calling it just a hype is sorry state of affairs. Agreed that sometimes some off road week end trips have been more challenging up there , here and every where. But none of them goes up to 3 days in simmering heat and none are competitive. The very competition makes it tough.

Well if you think this is not even worth attempting, it your choice, but some body is working hard for the cause of 4wd...dont redicule the efforts made by them.

p.s - since you made rain forest challenge example, why dont you organise an event which comes close to that? We all will be there to support and participate in that event. We will be happy to give away the title of being indias toughest 4wd challenge......so, when is it happening? Talking is very easy my friend:-)))
Old 22nd May 2009, 14:26   #92
Senior - BHPian

You Know where you stand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autocraze View Post
6. "Avoid the challenge"? Which challenge? Oh "THE Thoughest 4WD Offroad Palar challenge ".
Thats fine but what will you tell when they ask, if you have participated or not?

You're answer -- See the last paragraph - Patton’s Speech to the Third Army

You got #6 right....the website says "Whiners stay away".

Regards,

Arka

PS - If we were to go by pictures alone, you know where you stand.

Last edited by ex670c : 22nd May 2009 at 14:32. Reason: typo
Old 22nd May 2009, 14:26   #93
Senior - BHPian

Guys,
Lets not get into debate whether Palar is Indias toughest challenge or not. The main motive of the event to have fun with their 4wds and push them and oneselves to the limit and improve year on year!! Atleast i see it that way....true 4wd lovers would see this as another off road opportunity and that too off roading with a difference and whiners will not!

Last edited by vinod_nookala : 22nd May 2009 at 14:32.
Old 22nd May 2009, 14:38   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
Guys,
Lets not get into debate whether Palar is Indias toughest challenge or not. The main motive of the event to have fun with their 4wds and push them and oneselves to the limit and improve year on year!! Atleast i see it that way....true 4wd lovers would see this as another off road opportunity and that too off roading with a difference and whiners will not!
I wish all the participants "Best of Luck" and may you have a great time participating in the challenge.

P.S. - I did not intend on offending any participant or organizer.
Old 22nd May 2009, 14:45   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autocraze View Post
I wish all the participants "Best of Luck" and may you have a great time participating in the challenge.

P.S. - I did not intend on offending any participant or organizer.
Thank you Autocraze. This time we will make sure that pics do the justice and rather make a Video capturing every moment.

Arka ru listeing?
Old 22nd May 2009, 14:53   #96
Team-BHP Support

Hmm, interesting. The Rainforest Challenge, eh?

As far as I know, 99% of the 4WD vehicles in India (Jeep/Gypsy/Gurkha, etc) are not capable of participating Rainforest challege. I know Romi Malick and his friends of NIOC and building a special Jeep just for Rainforest Challenge. Obviously, their regular 4WD can't hack the Rainforest challenge.

Palar Challenge claims to be the toughest in India, I have never attended, so I can't comment. But I am surprised you are talking about Rainforest in one hand, setting a high bar and then talking about NIOC events on the other hand. I don't think there is much difference in degree of difficulty in NIOC events versus events held in MH, KA, KL & TN. They are all conducted using similar equipment.

Granted, with your experience of Rainforest challenge you could find Palar to be too puny, but you have to consider the available 4WD vehicles and equipment in India. We still mostly offroad using WW-II designed vehicles.
Old 22nd May 2009, 14:53   #97
Senior - BHPian

so vinod, are you getting a video camera along this time around? cheers

And Thanx Autocraze, we wish you were here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Palar Challenge claims to be the toughest in India, I have never attended,
Sharat, Why not you try to make it this time around? Am positive that your mountain goat will make it but am not too sure about the other one!

Either way, you will have a wonderful time.

Last edited by Rehaan : 22nd May 2009 at 17:27. Reason: Headers, please use the EDIT button to add to a post instead of making consecutive posts. Thanks.
Old 22nd May 2009, 15:02   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
so vinod, are you getting a video camera along this time around? cheers
Headers,
Dont blame me if some one comes and says again Video's dont do the justice to your claim...we better leave it to professionals

Last edited by Rehaan : 22nd May 2009 at 17:26. Reason: Quote fixed.
Old 22nd May 2009, 19:27   #99
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Autocraze:

I don't get it. Frankly I know that the TPC is not the ultimate challenge, but I don't care. I just take it in the spirit of the 4x4 community in India. Just forget about it and if you want to participate please join else just go do whatever you want to do. Nobody cares if it is the ultimate challenge or not. We just want to participate and have fun.

Move on...
Old 22nd May 2009, 19:32   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
if you want to participate please join else just go do whatever you want to do. Nobody cares if it is the ultimate challenge or not. We just want to participate and have fun.

Move on...
Hey Tini, that was well said, couldnt have been more crisp.

Hope to see you there this year with your modified beast!
Old 23rd May 2009, 09:37   #101
BHPian

I was just a bit curious to know if there is any other 4x4 off-road properly organized competitions being held in India.

Last edited by DesertKing : 23rd May 2009 at 09:42.
Old 25th May 2009, 11:35   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
PS - I would suggest all to-be participants to form a chain(Delhi-Jodhpur-Mumbai-Bangalore) and drive down its more fun and safer.

Planning to do just that.

Hope Gurkha survives after being driven 12000 Kms this month. Did Bandhavgarh, Mumbai Shirdi pune already and leaving for gangtok on 27th evening. Already is Gurkha there in Workshop to change the sensor assembly.

Also guess the tyres wont survive will have to change the tires before coming to Pallar. Which one is the question.

In last three days have not found the one 235x 85x16. If nothing else then wud go for YOKO MT+ 31x10.5x15, hope it survives driven to TPC. Or you would suggest to drive down on some other tyre and change to MT over there in Chennai?
Old 25th May 2009, 12:34   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dK
I was just a bit curious to know if there is any other 4x4 off-road properly organized competitions being held in India.
None that I know of.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headers to 4x4addict
Hope to see you there this year with your modified beast!
Yes, a little birdie tells me something major happening is in a different state which will then move closer to Palar for some other sprucing
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict
Just forget about it and if you want to participate please join else just go do whatever you want to do. Nobody cares if it is the ultimate challenge or not. We just want to participate and have fun.
Parfait! Exactly my motto, too. If one's an enthusiast, one'll show up.
After all, its planned over 3 months in advance.
Old 25th May 2009, 12:59   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhandle View Post
In last three days have not found the one 235x 85x16. If nothing else then wud go for YOKO MT+ 31x10.5x15, hope it survives driven to TPC. Or you would suggest to drive down on some other tyre and change to MT over there in Chennai?
Hi Rahul,

I suggest you drive down to Palar in your Yoko ATs and in Palar you change into Yoko MT's. Mud Terrain tyres are not good when highway driven, MT's last longer when driven mildly on tarmac and maximum offroads.

Are you picking up the Yoko MTs from Gary? Please do check the height difference in putting the Yoko MTs that he has. As I too checked them out but I felt the height of the tyre is pretty less. I'd suggest you put Yoko MTs 33x12.50R15 these would give you more height and grip.

Cheers !!!!!!!!!

Randeep
Old 25th May 2009, 13:00   #105
Senior - BHPian

Tyres

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhandle View Post
Hi Rahul,

Better to drive down on road tyres and then change them here.

But you will have to carry 4 Tyres and Rims. Spare wheel can be either pattern but of the same radius.

Regards,

Arka
Closed Thread

Most Viewed