Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th June 2009, 13:03   #61
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishwaschettri View Post
Hey I dint knew that!! I thought as the name suggests it was about offroading and not only Jeeps or 4x4.
Even the introduction talks about off road capable vehicle.
Infact last time when I got my rx, I was talking to romi n shyam and they were very excited to see it. Romi even promised me a ride on his honda XRL next time he gets it. Romi also brings his atv at times to OTR's.

OT - harjeev - My dirt rx in it's first nascent avtar is more capable than my jeep and a hoot to ride. It does everything and much more than my jeep. Also with my limited offroading experience in both bike n jeep I found it is much more demanding and fun to offroad on bike. It also calls for much more skill than driving jeep.

I would really miss getting my rx to OTR's If NIOC takes a strict stance on this as I have built it especially as a complimentary to my jeep. It also fits in the rear bay.

cheers
vishwas
Dear Vishwas,

The matter was discussed with the seniors of the group. We are esentially a 4x4 group, that does not mean we have any prejudice against Dirt Bikes. Ony issue is that some of the tracks are quite difficult and may be accident prone on a two wheeler. It was an open discussion when other rules were also discussed like the liquor policy, disicpline, conduct on the OTRs etc.

We need to respect the risks involved. NIOC is not responsible for any incident or any happening on the OTRs. A declaration for the same is being framed and will be signed by every participant before the start of the OTR. Till then it is applicable to minimise any chances of an accident.

This can be relooked in due course of time but as of now the group policy stands till the next committee meeting takes place.

Please do take it in the right sprit. All Bikers are more than welcome to ride along in our Jeeps.

Regds

Amit Bajaj
Old 5th June 2009, 20:54   #62
BHPian

Hi Amit,
So a lot have changed with NIOC of late I guess. The first time I went with them almost an year and half back it was possible to move jeeps without fuel but jeepers would just not budge without booze. And now you tell me NO LIQUOR POLICY!!
But I guess then it was more of a group of enthusiasts with just a bunch of old regulars. Now It's growing very fast and they need to make changes accordingly to become a proper adventure club.
No booze is a tough but mandatory change to keep discipline I guess. I am so glad I was fortunate enough to be part of that old freak group that never had their fill of alcohol full.

As for bike being more accident prone let me assure you, in case of a roll over you will be much better off rolling down along your bike than being crushed under your jeep as majority of jeeps including mine here do not have a roll cage/roll bar.

There is no point carrying this discussion here. Let's move it to NIOC and hope I can beg my case with them

cheers
vishwas
Old 6th June 2009, 16:27   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishwaschettri View Post
Hi Amit,
So a lot have changed with NIOC of late I guess. The first time I went with them almost an year and half back it was possible to move jeeps without fuel but jeepers would just not budge without booze. And now you tell me NO LIQUOR POLICY!!
But I guess then it was more of a group of enthusiasts with just a bunch of old regulars. Now It's growing very fast and they need to make changes accordingly to become a proper adventure club.
No booze is a tough but mandatory change to keep discipline I guess. I am so glad I was fortunate enough to be part of that old freak group that never had their fill of alcohol full.

As for bike being more accident prone let me assure you, in case of a roll over you will be much better off rolling down along your bike than being crushed under your jeep as majority of jeeps including mine here do not have a roll cage/roll bar.

There is no point carrying this discussion here. Let's move it to NIOC and hope I can beg my case with them

cheers
vishwas
Hi Vishwas,

I think we have not met. I am just more than a year old in the Group. You are very correct about the old facts, When I joined the same where being followed. You have also stated right that the Group has grown. In my 1st OTR there were 9 Jeeps and I was tild it was a big nouber. on the 2nd we had just 5 Jeeps and then consitently around 5 to 8 jeeps in total. Now a normal OTR is with around 12 to 18. A big one has above 20.

We have new Joinees in every OTR. So some basic rules had to be made. We have had our share of problems in areas of discipline and liquor. So its best to avoid. The group is all about Offroading not about party. There is always a get togather for those who want to be a part of it after the OTR.

Hope to see you in the next OTR.

Regds

Amit
Old 8th June 2009, 09:27   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tusker4x4 View Post

We have new Joinees in every OTR. So some basic rules had to be made. We have had our share of problems in areas of discipline and liquor. So its best to avoid. The group is all about Offroading not about party. There is always a get togather for those who want to be a part of it after the OTR.

Hope to see you in the next OTR.

Regds

Amit

I gree with you here Amit. Last OTR we had couple of guys in a 550 who had come for the first time and seemed a bit impatient to 'throw' their jeep at every obstacle. You would remeber when we were top on the sand hill and they were going down when both of us yelled for them not to brake and use 1st gear to go down the slope.

I have seen that when new guys meet at at the begenning of the OTR we just shake hand and move to the venue. I would like to request the NIOC mods to give the new guys a little bit of breif on off droad driving manners and also to keep good distance behind the jeep in front when going up/down a slope. Ideally they should not start till one jeep has completed the terrain, but this was not the case in the last OTR. We are evolving as a group and SAFETY has to be something everyone should be educated about before the OTR starts. Do's and Dont's are very important. I would also request for Marshalls to be nominated in any OTR with more than 7 jeeps. This one someone will be leading, one in the middle and one at the back, to assist and guide new jeepers.

At one time RB Sir had to scream the the new guys to keep there wheels striaght as they were steering in the wrong direction. All I am trying to say is, thopugh everyone is responsible for thweir own safety but lot of newbies do not know the difference between using brakes and engine braking, I didnt when I joined but was guided by the seniors. the same guidance should be given at the begenning of the OTRs to the new guys.

Cheers
Ankit

Last edited by GoSlow : 8th June 2009 at 09:28.
Old 8th June 2009, 12:00   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSlow View Post
I gree with you here Amit. Last OTR we had couple of guys in a 550 who had come for the first time and seemed a bit impatient to 'throw' their jeep at every obstacle. You would remeber when we were top on the sand hill and they were going down when both of us yelled for them not to brake and use 1st gear to go down the slope.

I have seen that when new guys meet at at the begenning of the OTR we just shake hand and move to the venue. I would like to request the NIOC mods to give the new guys a little bit of breif on off droad driving manners and also to keep good distance behind the jeep in front when going up/down a slope. Ideally they should not start till one jeep has completed the terrain, but this was not the case in the last OTR. We are evolving as a group and SAFETY has to be something everyone should be educated about before the OTR starts. Do's and Dont's are very important. I would also request for Marshalls to be nominated in any OTR with more than 7 jeeps. This one someone will be leading, one in the middle and one at the back, to assist and guide new jeepers.

At one time RB Sir had to scream the the new guys to keep there wheels striaght as they were steering in the wrong direction. All I am trying to say is, thopugh everyone is responsible for thweir own safety but lot of newbies do not know the difference between using brakes and engine braking, I didnt when I joined but was guided by the seniors. the same guidance should be given at the begenning of the OTRs to the new guys.

Cheers
Ankit
Hi Ankit,

You have raised a valid point. I would request you to kindly put this suggestion on the NIOC group tooo.

Pls do put it. It is a important matter.

regds

Amit Bajaj
Old 8th June 2009, 22:26   #66
Senior - BHPian

harjeev, what kind of jeep is this? i mean is it a MM jeep with diesel engine or what?

the jeep with the canvas top with a US army star on it!
Attached Thumbnails
NCR Summer OTR 31st May Sunday-img_9197.jpg  

Old 8th June 2009, 23:42   #67
Senior - BHPian

^^ Pram I guess its Kaiser. The modificatios are done in Jaipur as told by my denter/painter.
Old 9th June 2009, 00:47   #68
Senior - BHPian

I have an indemnity form already that every member of Dubai Desert Club was made to sign and every participant and occupant of each vehicle signed and handed over while booking a place in my Toyota The Great Escape Desert Adventure.

If NOIC needs it I can pull it away from my this very laptop in seconds and put it on the mail.

Sorry folks.
Intended to come on this one, but I returned to Gurgaon only at 9.30 AM on May 31. The previous night I was driving my CJ3B all night from 7 PM to a good 4 AM off road. It behaved well except for some problems with the alternator vibrating too much and getting loose a couple of times. Need to fix this problem with an additional bracket support.

Drove it through ditches, ploughed fields steep descents on mud banks without any trouble.

Was useing a heavy 3 million lux spotlight to navigate in the night, it drew heavily on the battery while the alternator wire got dislodged. Fixed it and push started it offroad.

On the 150 km tarmac section the fuel consumption was only 6 kmpl, is this normal for Cj3b jeeps or the carburettor needs retuneing ?

Shahid
Old 9th June 2009, 03:25   #69
Senior - BHPian

here's an example of an old indemnity form. Only the members details, name, vehicle registration no,. contact numbers etc. need to be added in a seperate box and the text be changed to suit NIOC.

DUNLOP TYRE – THE GREAT ESCAPE

I, the undersigned, do hereby indemnify the members and the staff of Visions Corporation FZE, Khaleej Times, Dubai, all sponsors and organisers of this event, The Great Escape held on March 10, 2006, and any and all of its associate companies, organisations, or persons acting for, or on its behalf, against any loss or damage, whether it is caused directly or indirectly by delays, sickness, accident, injury, death, or loss or damage to property, whether occurred by negligence or not, or any expenses arising there of, which I may suffer while with the event as described above or while under its control or custody

No responsibility can be taken for any arbitrary changes the Government permissions of the United Arab Emirates. Pace Networks Corporation and Khaleej Times reserve the right to alter, cancel or withdraw the event part of it; to refuse to accept or retain as a member of the group or part of it, any person at any time.
I agree to abide to the decision of my Marshals and listen to their Instructions.

Signature

Name
Vehicle Reg no
Club Reg no
Contact no
e mail
address

Names of accompanying pax Mobile no

Last edited by desertfox : 9th June 2009 at 03:28.
Old 9th June 2009, 12:06   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
harjeev, what kind of jeep is this? i mean is it a MM jeep with diesel engine or what?

the jeep with the canvas top with a US army star on it!
Hi Parm,

The US Army Jeep is a long wheel base Kaiser. Its owned by Mr. Madan Mohan from Gurgaon. He has a large collection of Jeeps.

This particular Jeep has an Isuzu G1, 2500 CC with Turbo and Isuzu 4x4 gearbox. He restores jeeps at his garages in Gurgaon and also Kotputli.

Cheers !!!!!!!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks