Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st July 2009, 22:44   #1

Off Roading - Range Rover / Land Cruiser

Hey Guys

Any place where you can test the suv off roading capabilities? Anybody want to join in. I have a range rover and am eager to test its off roading capabilities.

Rgds
Old 2nd July 2009, 09:36   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

He he. You are in Bangalore my dear friend -- just take it on any road after the rains and it will be a test of your SUV capabilities. :-) On a serious note, do join us for the next OTR whenever it is announced. Keep a watch on the 4x4 section.
Old 3rd July 2009, 17:28   #3
Senior - BHPian

Which range rover is it ? A Range rover is OK but not a serious off roader unless you are ready for a hefty repair bill after the OTR or have a few guys at the local insurance office eating out of your hands.
Old 10th July 2009, 16:20   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfox View Post
Which range rover is it ? A Range rover is OK but not a serious off roader unless you are ready for a hefty repair bill after the OTR or have a few guys at the local insurance office eating out of your hands.
You're joking right?

I have a Range Rover TDV8 and my brother and i regularly take it offroad..ie EXTREME offroad in Punjab and we have had no breakdowns due to offroading or otherwise.

You can view pics in my thread Range Rover Tonga Green Mettalic in the 4x4 vehicles section.

There is no other more "serious offroader" than the Range Rover my friend..trust me.

Some pics to back me up....
Attached Thumbnails
Off Roading - Range Rover / Land Cruiser-rr1.jpg  

Off Roading - Range Rover / Land Cruiser-rr2.jpg  

Off Roading - Range Rover / Land Cruiser-rr3.jpg  

Off Roading - Range Rover / Land Cruiser-rr4.jpg  

Off Roading - Range Rover / Land Cruiser-rr5.jpg  

Off Roading - Range Rover / Land Cruiser-rr6.jpg  

Old 10th July 2009, 18:22   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Refreshing to see a Range Rover being used the way she's meant to, especially in India. That's a heck of an offroader you got there. I'm pretty sure I've seen these pictures before. Did you (or your brother) post these earlier on the forum?

I say, be in touch with Khan Sultan to be on top of all the offroad action in Bangalore. Hope to see more pictures of your beast in action with other Team-BHP 4x4s.

Last edited by GTO : 10th July 2009 at 18:25.
Old 10th July 2009, 19:38   #6
Senior - BHPian

manuuj, great to see the RR off the road for a change from the usual jeeps. though i am a hardcore jeep fan but these pictures make me think otherwise.
Old 10th July 2009, 19:59   #7
Senior - BHPian

Check out the complete report here :http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...-page-2-a.html

Its really nice to see that these off road machines are used for some true off roading, unlike lots of folks who buy these vehicles and use them on regular tarmac. These are built for off roading so rather use them for that at least once in a while.
Old 11th July 2009, 10:59   #8
v10
BHPian

Nice stuff. But AFAIK, The defender shall eat this for lunch though.
Old 11th July 2009, 12:35   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerover View Post
Hey Guys

Any place where you can test the suv off roading capabilities? Anybody want to join in. I have a range rover and am eager to test its off roading capabilities.

Rgds
Rangerover,

We are off to Tumkur road for an Offroading this sunday 12th July. How about joining the event.

Meet us at Nice Road-Tumkur Road Junction at 7.30 a.m.

Dwarak
Old 11th July 2009, 16:04   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Refreshing to see a Range Rover being used the way she's meant to, especially in India. That's a heck of an offroader you got there. I'm pretty sure I've seen these pictures before. Did you (or your brother) post these earlier on the forum?

I say, be in touch with Khan Sultan to be on top of all the offroad action in Bangalore. Hope to see more pictures of your beast in action with other Team-BHP 4x4s.
I'm glad you liked the pics..you are right i had posted them earlier also in my own thread "Range Rover Tonga Green Mettallic" in the 4x4 vehicles section.

Last edited by Manuuj : 11th July 2009 at 16:13.
Old 15th July 2009, 11:49   #11
Senior - BHPian

Just back from a trip in Tibet, the vehicles used were land cruisers for over 2000kms. 10% of ther trip was done on the road and the rest 90% off road.

I was amazed to see the capabilities of the vehicles, infact the drivers did not even once got stuck anywhere, be it mud, slush, sand snow steep incline or even 4 feet deep river crossing.

This was the performance of the vehicle at a height of 4500mtrs and above, so i guess the capabilities will only increase on sea level.
Old 15th July 2009, 11:56   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
He he. You are in Bangalore my dear friend -- just take it on any road after the rains and it will be a test of your SUV capabilities. :-)
I agree, Roads in Karnataka after the first rains are nothing but great of roading locations. Try to go to Mangalore via Shiradi Ghat
Old 16th July 2009, 23:50   #13
Senior - BHPian

It will be, in Tibet and Mansarovar trips they use 80 Series landcruisers, one of the toughest and most reliable off road vehicle.

As for Manuuj, so far so good, but there are surprises coming.

Till date I have towed about seven Rangies out of the Desert all folded up and gone, with their owners having played mechanic for hours.

Wish you well bro.

Landrover Middle East have offered me their vehicles quite a few times to test drive in the desert or wadi trails, including their signature HSE Holland & Holland edition, I have been in it on a few hunting trips in England too ( it is perfectly legal to hunt in England ), it drives OK in moderate off road situations but it has always failed to climb dunes where an ordinary Toyota Prado or Jeep Wrangler goes daily.

Rate of failure off road also has been very high, broken suspension, engine sump breaking, shockers breaking, electrical problems, mechanical failures, fuel injection system malfunctions, ECU conking out, tie roads and drive shafts breaking, oil leaks, bumpers and fenders coming off, rear mudflaps being torn, wheels jamming, the list is endless. For that kind of money buy a Landcruiser or Lexus 470 and remain happy for the next 20 years.

I am being offered the Landrover / Jaguar dealership for Gurgaon, and my answer - I will sell a Maruti 800, Honda accord or Toyota / Nissan to that matter Hyundai any day even if I run a second hand car showroom, but you guys, stay away fromme, I am not interested in loseing my investment!

Last edited by desertfox : 16th July 2009 at 23:55.
Old 17th July 2009, 12:40   #14
BHPian

[quote=desertfox;1387891]It will be, in Tibet and Mansarovar trips they use 80 Series landcruisers, one of the toughest and most reliable off road vehicle.

As for Manuuj, so far so good, but there are surprises coming.

Till date I have towed about seven Rangies out of the Desert all folded up and gone, with their owners having played mechanic for hours.

Wish you well bro.

Thanks for the heads-up and good wishes! Our rangie is a year old this month and has been for a quite a few offroad trips with no breakdowns..

guess we have been lucky so far

As far as Toyota products go i agree wholeheartedly that they offer complete peace of mind for about 20 years atleast.

..but to tell you the truth when this Rangie is retired the only vehicle that will take its place will be another Range Rover.
Old 17th July 2009, 15:00   #15
Senior - BHPian

No wonder they still sell Range Rovers, and hardly any are taken off road.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks