Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions

Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2009, 16:32   #31
Senior - BHPian

Sure you can avoid those sections GRV as generally there are alternate routes but not always!!!
Anyways you should keep in mind that your car will be scratched and it can't be avoided altogether.

If you checkout the old pictures of our OTR's we have guys coming in Pajero's, Tata Safari's, Montero, LRovers, but the prize is take my BMW X5.
Yes an X5!!!

Check out these pictures on Picasa
Old 17th July 2009, 16:35   #32
Team-BHP Support

From what I experienced on both OTRs if you take a SUV the panels will get scratched.
Therefore on second OTR I parked the safari and went by jeep after half way.
You could probably also do something similar. Alternate routes often do not exist.

As for X5 it has scratches all over, and fenders and plastic bits have come off at times. But nevertheless its a capable machine.

If you are looking for "soft roader" kind of off roading without thorns etc., then the NIOC ones will be tough for you. These guys mean serious business!!

Last edited by tsk1979 : 17th July 2009 at 16:38.
Old 17th July 2009, 16:38   #33
Senior - BHPian

Tanveer, why take your vehicle to an OTR session if you're bothered about scratches?? Better still, dump the body colored cladding!

Last edited by suman : 17th July 2009 at 16:39.
Old 17th July 2009, 17:00   #34
Team-BHP Support

I am not worried about the cladding, but the main body itself.
As for OTR, I enjoy riverbeds and sand, no chance of scratches and all the fun. Its the semi forest trails with rocks which are trouble spots.
However I have come up with a brilliant idea, carry those big grass cutting scissors in the car. On the trail if there is an overhanging thorny branch just go snip snip. Gives a whole new meaning to "make" your own road!
Old 17th July 2009, 17:26   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

My experience with GV has been that since there is hardly any clading the scratches most often disappear with slight rubbing/polishing. Mine is dark grey colour so scratches tend to stand out but after wards they are barely noticiable. Ditto for our other cars which we have used extensively for recce's in Rajasthan and Rann area which also have lot of thorny kikars.

@GRV: Lets get there. At worst both of us will limp back home with our tail around our ***. 8-)
Old 17th July 2009, 17:35   #36
Senior - BHPian

@sudev
na na !!!
dont worry mate!!! Its not that bad!!! Tanveer has been there twice and once 5-6 jeeps cross the trail with thorn and bushes the damage to the other vehicles is considerably less!!!

But yes again I will like to say
scratches can't be completely avoided altogether!!!

see ya all on Sunday morning!!!
Old 17th July 2009, 18:52   #37
BHPian

Why dont we break the group in to smaller groups with Marshal allocated to them. This way we might save on time on Sunday. I have never been to this route I guess so am double excited and scared with the warning coming about the terrain !
Old 17th July 2009, 18:59   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

@harjeev: what me worry? na na ;-)
Old 17th July 2009, 21:04   #39
Senior - BHPian

@Rahul
Marshals have already been appointed, three I think and with 3 MODS in this OTR I think that we'll be able to easily manage!!!
Old 18th July 2009, 00:02   #40
Senior - BHPian

Its not that NIOC does only extreme off roading. People at NIOC like difficult trips more because it is not every week that an OTR happens so when it happens everyone wishes to make the most of it.

NIOC will also conduct intermediate grade trips / family trips soon.
Old 18th July 2009, 09:23   #41
BHPian

^^ True about difficult trip but what about people who are new to the circuit like myself. But because of NIOC Jeep fire is spreading fast!
Old 18th July 2009, 09:31   #42
Senior - BHPian

I should be there 90% - will be coming on bike, and park near the beginning of the trail - will have to leave by 10am - farmaan mil gaya hai

Thanks sarvinder ji!
Old 19th July 2009, 15:55   #43
BHPian

Missed the OTR due to soar throat and fever. S*** man was looking forward to it. Saw the pics on FB. Wow !! how did the GVs perform.

Guys was off TBHP for a long time. Offroading does not mean driving on kuch road or sand. That is easy. At NIOC offroading is serious business and hardcore.

Wanted to get my Jeep through the Slush and the Climb we did last time. Man the pullout seemed to be fun.

Seeing Madan steping in slush like a true offroader was good.

Well done Madan.

Realy wish I could have made it.

Last edited by Tusker4x4 : 19th July 2009 at 16:11.
Old 19th July 2009, 19:49   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Being a first timer at an NIOC event I was apprehensive that I am missing the assembly deadline, of 0530hrs at Signature Tower, by five odd minutes. But I need not have worried. When I reached there a few Jeepers were already present and had lined up their, mostly military green vehicle, in, what else, military precision.

I appended my GV to the back of this pack. Got out and did handshakes all around. Intro were said but hardly remembered. And then I saw GRV's GV also rolloing in and there was a Tucson following, and was glad that I was not going to be the only "soft" roader around.

NCR OTR 19th July (Sunday Morning)-100_3180.jpg

We moved on around 0600hrs, very good considering IST habits of Delhites. And the whole convoy kept on moving and stopping on our way to the jump off point.

NCR OTR 19th July (Sunday Morning)-100_3182.jpg

You can barely see my vehicle behind the Gurkha and GRV's vitara after me.

NCR OTR 19th July (Sunday Morning)-100_3183.jpg

The first section was a drive within narrow farm boundaries. Without any rain and no slush this was just a drive through narrow paths with loads of over hanging bushes from sides. After this was old quarry country.

NCR OTR 19th July (Sunday Morning)-100_3184.jpg

So we assembled at the foot of a hill. And here we have one of the leaders giving briefing to the assembly

NCR OTR 19th July (Sunday Morning)-100_3185.jpg

And the assembly of cars

NCR OTR 19th July (Sunday Morning)-100_3186.jpg

Then the moderator asked all the newbies to raise their hands and I complied. We received some more @#$@ and instructions. As the first piece of action was hill climb. Get your 4x4Low in place. Get enough distance between the next car. Move only if he clears unsafe area. etc. etc.

NCR OTR 19th July (Sunday Morning)-100_3187.jpg

After the hill climb (of which I do not have any pictures there was a equally tough descent and another climb and switch back. The pictures next are from the second hill top. The distance makes the vehicles barely visible but if I used zoom then th whole picture would not come.

NCR OTR 19th July (Sunday Morning)-100_3189.jpg

Notice how eagle eyed moderators kept the convoy moving by standing atop high points and waving with hand signals. On the way down one of the Jeepers busted his fuel tank on the sharp rocks and it was quick exit for him back to Gurgaon. At this point we had counted total of 18 vehicles including him.

NCR OTR 19th July (Sunday Morning)-100_3190.jpg

Old 19th July 2009, 20:36   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

NIOC OTR route

NCR OTR 19th July (Sunday Morning)-screenshot6.png

The GPS track imported in to GoogleEarth shows the entire OTR experience in a single shot.

A: The narrow track between farms. The organisers were hoping for rain and then this would have been all slushy and filled with water

B: The place for briefing

C: The first hill climb. Rocky and broken surface. Took it in first with 4W lock. No strain on engine.

D: The down hill. There were couple of high bumps on this and narrow flint stone lined surface. Nicked my cars tyre wall here. No puncture though.

E: The water hazard. A small pond that was invitation to get stuck. Lot if winching had to be done. Did not give this a bye pass. Got struck and had to be winched out like almost all except for the first few guys.

F: A tight approach to breakfast halt. First the two GV's were told to stand a side as they will not pass. Assumed that the the guys were just going up a small mud hill and would troop back. Next I get a SMS that all are having breakfast. So we were on our own. Down a pond bank. Across rutted surface in to bushes. And thence to a proper track. Joined the party. Thanks for the D'Pauls cold coffee, it was good.

G: This time we did not get aside and wnet ahead with all. Tough track and narrow with a ditch across. Managed to get around it with a bit of trying and lot of advise and hand signals. After the first saddle just beyond G it was downhill in to a valley. We were the fifth vehicle up. Got struck half way due to narrow track. Had to be pulled back with tow. Then it was cross country around the foot of the hill.

H: The check dam and pond on the other side. It was hot by this time and so used frozen towels in the ice box while we waited for jeepers to go up and down a hill.

Then skirted the gold course and joined tarmac back to the start point and back to Gurgaon by 1130hrs.

Most Viewed