Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2009, 17:46   #76
BHPian

Video's

Hi Everyone,

Please find below some video's clicked by be during the OTR.

I have pics too but shall upload them by late evening or tomorrow.

Cheers !!!!!!

Randeep

Harjeev playing in the slush with his monster.

Harjeev once again.
Old 21st July 2009, 22:37   #77
BHPian

Well Momentum was the key word. I tried it 6 times, where thrice succeeded and thrice failed. When ever I had the momentum I cleared. Even naveen tried thrice and he succeeded twice the one time he failed in Gurkha was when he was driving with hand breaks on
Old 23rd July 2009, 16:22   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
Wonderful pics!! You guys had some good mudsling exercise. Where are the pics of GV getting stuck? This muddy section i think even Grand Vitara could do and get stuck like all others.

Now guys tell me did you notice any difference between tyre threads performing in this section in the same weight class? Or was momentum the key word? I guess its the later which will be the key in particular section.
Dear Vinod,

In a slush like this momentum is the worst thing you can do. Tyers like NDMS and MTs are good. NDMS is quite effective due to the large tread on the tyre.

1) The key is to drive on a constant traction that can be achive by slow and constant acceleration. if you feel the traction going, release the acceleration a bit and then increase it a bit slowly.

2) It is to keep swrilling the stearing a bit so that the tyers woble just a vee bit. This helps the tyers hit the sides of the slush and cleans the treads in NDMS.

This is what I have learned by driving in this and other slushes.

Try it out and do give your feedback.

Regds

Amit
Old 23rd July 2009, 16:28   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhandle View Post
Well Momentum was the key word. I tried it 6 times, where thrice succeeded and thrice failed. When ever I had the momentum I cleared. Even naveen tried thrice and he succeeded twice the one time he failed in Gurkha was when he was driving with hand breaks on
Dear Rahul,

Momentum is not the cure everywhere. Momentum would help you clear short distances in slush. The moment the slush slows you down your tyers would spin and you will loose momentum and get stuck.

Try to maintain tarction by what I have suggested. I learnt this through Shayamji and RBji

Try it you will clear longer distances. Momentun is good if the base of the lake is hard.

@ Harjeev could we have your views on the same.

@ Sarvinder Sir please enlighted and correct me if I am worng on this

Regds

Amit
Old 23rd July 2009, 17:45   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tusker4x4 View Post
Dear Rahul,

Momentum is not the cure everywhere. Momentum would help you clear short distances in slush. The moment the slush slows you down your tyers would spin and you will loose momentum and get stuck.

Try to maintain tarction by what I have suggested. I learnt this through Shayamji and RBji

Try it you will clear longer distances. Momentun is good if the base of the lake is hard.

@ Harjeev could we have your views on the same.

@ Sarvinder Sir please enlighted and correct me if I am worng on this

Regds

Amit
Dear Jeepers,

As i have been driving the WW II Willys MB which is the most successful off roader as per me (I may be wrong), traction is the key for me. I have been able to clear most of the slush and water with traction and not momentum. The reason for the same are various in my case.

a) The WW II jeeps have got the perfect 4x4 gear ratio for a good traction.
b) The NDMS tyres are the best tyres for slush and water which also help in keeping good traction.
c) The momentum is a problem for the WW II's due to the water getting into the distributor due to water splash.
d) As Amit has mentioned above that you are bound to loose momentum in the long stretch.
e) Lastly, the tyres as already mentioned by me in point b play a big roll to keep traction which the yoko's on Rahuls jeep will not give so for him the key was momentum as he was unable to keep the traction due to the tyres and secondly his jeep is very heavy as compared to the WW II's and the 3B's.
f) Last but not the least it is the drivers skills and experience which help the most .

Cheers

Sarvinder
Old 24th July 2009, 00:14   #81
BHPian

Wow,..hope for a one on one tutorial some day Sarvinder sir !! The simplest tread pattern (NDMS) has gotta take the cake !!! I am yet to see a more versatile tyre pattern clearing as many terrians with such ease (skill not withstanding) !!!
Old 24th July 2009, 00:20   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by willys MB View Post
Dear Jeepers,

As i have been driving the WW II Willys MB which is the most successful off roader as per me (I may be wrong), traction is the key for me. I have been able to clear most of the slush and water with traction and not momentum. The reason for the same are various in my case.

a) The WW II jeeps have got the perfect 4x4 gear ratio for a good traction.
b) The NDMS tyres are the best tyres for slush and water which also help in keeping good traction.
c) The momentum is a problem for the WW II's due to the water getting into the distributor due to water splash.
d) As Amit has mentioned above that you are bound to loose momentum in the long stretch.
e) Lastly, the tyres as already mentioned by me in point b play a big roll to keep traction which the yoko's on Rahuls jeep will not give so for him the key was momentum as he was unable to keep the traction due to the tyres and secondly his jeep is very heavy as compared to the WW II's and the 3B's.
f) Last but not the least it is the drivers skills and experience which help the most .

Cheers

Sarvinder
True, seems like slush bible to me. And point 'F' about the Driver experience is spot on, and I guess is most important part. previous OTR I had seen Pushkin taking his 2wd Jeep to almost all the places where our 4wd went. FOr a good driver a vehicle wont be a handicap.
Old 24th July 2009, 09:44   #83
GRV
BHPian

OTR 19th July Relived (partly)

Hi

Thanks to the NIOC for organising and allowing non jeepers to participate. Though I was a bit less adventurous with my vitara than sudev's vitara but I throughly enjoyed it.

I think this OTR is working on me now. On Wednesday at 3 p.m. I just left office, called my wife and 10 yr old son and off we were on the same trail

Crossed the first kuchha road (narrow path with long grasses both side) to reach our first hill climb point. This was really fun drive with family. I wanted to climb the hill, but with better half , better sense prevailed and we returned.

Then we proceeded to the end point (near Golden green golf course. Here again, with great pride I showed my wife and son the terrain I had covered during OTR (trying to prove that I can actually drive in tough condition, contrary to their perception)

A round of wows from my wife and son, my ego-self fully satisfied, we returned home safely

GRV
Old 24th July 2009, 11:02   #84
BHPian

You are most welcome GRV.

If the Offroading bug has bitten you then i would suggest you should buy a jeep on which you can explore much more and is cheaper to maintain then the GV.

Mandeep, Harjeev, Randeep can further help you to find one if you really want to get into hardcore offroading.

Cheers

Sarvinder
Old 24th July 2009, 11:25   #85
Distinguished - BHPian

@GRV: Going alone and with family - extreme caution advised. Hook up with another vehicle. This area is really not too far off from civilisation so is still okay but beware.

So is the bug bitten you deep enough to try out Desert Storm? ;-)
Old 24th July 2009, 12:22   #86
BHPian

Agree 100% with Sudev.

No one should go offroading alone as you will not get any help if by any chance you are stuck there and on top of it many times the Villagers also do not like intrusion into there area. Please be very very friendly and do not offend them in any way. These are the only area's left for us offroaders as we are very lucky to have such area's very close to our places. We have to also respect the villagers privacy always.

Cheers

Sarvinder
Old 24th July 2009, 12:55   #87
BHPian

I am also thinking on a jeep, whether it should be Gypsy or Mahindra 550 is the dilema!
Old 24th July 2009, 13:24   #88
BHPian

Hi Rahul,

I would suggest a CJ3B which is a better off roader then a Gypsy and a 550 as you already have your other 4x4 for long hauls. You can use the CJ3B petrol only for Off roading and short trips in town. Mandeep Harjeev , Prabh, Sanjiv, Shahid will give you better in sight on 3B which is not only cheaper to build, very very quite 4x4 and cheaper to maintain.

This is just a suggestion, choice is totally yours.

Cheers

Sarvinder
Old 24th July 2009, 14:44   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am also thinking on a jeep, whether it should be Gypsy or Mahindra 550 is the dilema!
Oh can't believe this Good decision by the way not to put the Gurkha to the 'torture'....! Best of luck for the jeep experience ahead.
Old 24th July 2009, 17:22   #90
Senior - BHPian

Transformation!

Quote:
rhandle,
Its nice to see Gurkha fan thinking of becoming jeep/Gypsy addict! If Gurkha owner feels the need for another vehicle just for pure offroading then there's a serious point folks!

First Samurai from GV to Cj 340 and now rhandle from Gurkha to Jeep/Gypsy. This describes the word -'Fit for Purpose' for these legendary vehicles

rhandle- i somehow feel you will settle in for a jeep! Lets see. I also had the same dilema..later bought jeep. People with no dilema buy Gypsy.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks