Old 14th July 2009, 00:16   #31
BHPian

Hey allan where are the pictures.
Old 14th July 2009, 10:51   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post
Sabareesh,

Post some more pictures if you have any.

How did the getaway fare. Does it make sense to participate in the same.
Unfortunately the camera which we had was not weather proof and it was raining hence limited photos.

I am not happy as far as Getaway's offroading abilities are concerned. It's big, heavy and has a huge rear overhang which reduces the angle of departure to a great extent. It may be good for some mild offroading but absolutely a no-no for the MGE's terrain. However, the driver of this getaway didn't have any experience as far as offroading is concerned. I am not sure about Getaway's performance if any veteran had driven it.
Old 14th July 2009, 12:02   #33
BHPian

no photos of the rally from my side
was not in the mood
and besides had a totally open jeep with no winshield even
but shall post pictures as soon as the rain stops pouring here in mumbai
cant get the camera out
Old 14th July 2009, 18:40   #34
BHPian

My View

I agree with GTO on the route. It was awesome... For 4x 4's mind you. All those 4x2 scorpios etc had no place on that track. M&M event organisation was way off target

Its okay to change the route due to heavy rain washing out the original route. But why issue the tulip chart for the original route (at least we had the original tulip that said turn left on the main road)

Luckily it worked out better for us. We were in sequence 54 to 58 and got into sequence 15 to 20ish because guys like allan (sorry dude) took off down the wrong road

Yes it was a great track and the classics did everything with relative ease (except for the slush field of course) But for the 2wd scorpio (ferdie's nephew) it was sheer torture on the poor car. Full credit to ryan(ferdie's nephew) though. He did a great job with limited car ability

I have a lot more pics on the other camera, including a video of ferdie creaming that tough slope that everyone was being tractored up on

Will put them up tomorrow

I am very much game to do this on our own with the right tulip chart, with 5 to 6 vehicles. Infact Ferdie has access to some nice tulip charts from other MGE events that we could go for

Name:  DSC02808.jpg
Views: 1144
Size:  78.9 KB

Mahindra Great Escape - Shahapur 2009-dsc02816.jpg

Mahindra Great Escape - Shahapur 2009-dsc02833.jpg

Mahindra Great Escape - Shahapur 2009-dsc02836.jpg
Old 14th July 2009, 18:56   #35
BHPian

GTO you lucky fellow

Was damn envious when i called you and learnt you had finished watching the prix while we were still on our way to shang rila

I heard many guys got out much much later than us

They should have lined up all the 4x4's first and then the other vehicles or run them on an easier course...

And oh yes when we got to the slush field it was more like a slush lake from the tractors going back and forth to ferry guys across

All credit to Ferdie. He powered his way through. Sheer skill and tactical ability. Was riding in his classic part of the way. They are shod in 265/70 yoko's. We were completely mud splattered. I guess years of running crew for himalayan rallies and such does give you fabulous ability

My limited view of the classic 340 drivers I know:

GTO: Crazy, Mad Max, Great Control and family jewels of Pure Stainless Steel

Steiger: Smooth. Most careful and cautious of the 3 (Got his Classic fully washed and serviced the next morning itself).

Ferdie: Supreme Skill. Great Roadcraft

Btw we also met a lady at the start, driving a 2wd, Scorpio Automatic. Wonder how she managed this course and when she finished. Hey if you are on this forum reading this post, do respond with your experience
Old 15th July 2009, 10:18   #36
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53BHP View Post
But why issue the tulip chart for the original route (at least we had the original tulip that said turn left on the main road)
They changed only the initial patch, because after the 1st difficult spot (no. 28 on the chart), the terrain was exactly according to the tulips. I do agree with Allans comments, the first spot should have been manned by an official.

Quote:
I have a lot more pics on the other camera, including a video of ferdie creaming that tough slope that everyone was being tractored up on
Bring 'em on!

Quote:
Infact Ferdie has access to some nice tulip charts from other MGE events that we could go for
Silvasa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53BHP View Post
Was damn envious when i called you and learnt you had finished watching the prix while we were still on our way to shang rila
And I was to hear that you guys just got done. I was home by 3ish.

Quote:
And oh yes when we got to the slush field it was more like a slush lake from the tractors going back and forth to ferry guys across
I was the first to get there, and it wasn't easy. Can only imagine the condition of that patch after 50 2wds would have destroyed it.

Quote:
All credit to Ferdie. He powered his way through. Sheer skill and tactical ability.
Yeah, Ferdi's a heck of a driver. You should have seen him behind the wheel of a certain white EVO6.

Quote:
driving a 2wd, Scorpio Automatic.
2WD Auto! I'd love to hear more on that. Would have been some OTR for the driver.
Old 15th July 2009, 14:13   #37
BHPian

Here are some videos that my friend took during Great Escape

Old 15th July 2009, 14:40   #38
BHPian

Wow those videos are cool.. No words to express the feeling when one rides through like that. Great Clips.
Old 15th July 2009, 15:49   #39
BHPian

Videos are really superb.
Sabareesh, thanks for sharing all these videos with us.
Old 15th July 2009, 16:57   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Sabareesh - your post no 13, Dear Beejay - your post no 23, Dear Sharath - your post no 26, Dear GTO - your post no 11 - the answer is - "in a class of its own". Now add genuine extra engine power + optimize transmission ratios + reduce weight + add a winch + ?????. As it is, 4WD low wasn't even required. Got it? You bet I enjoyed!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 15th July 2009, 17:00   #41
BHPian

did the route today
was awesome
but managed it in two wheel drive
guess it was the tyres
Old 15th July 2009, 17:30   #42
Senior - BHPian

IFS & Butts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Sabareesh - your post no 13, Dear Beejay - your post no 23, Dear Sharath - your post no 26, Dear GTO - your post no 11 - the answer is - "in a class of its own". Now add genuine extra engine power + optimize transmission ratios + reduce weight + add a winch + ?????. As it is, 4WD low wasn't even required. Got it? You bet I enjoyed!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Hello Sir,

My guess, its the pride of Kakaji's Garage.

The Export IFS MM540 based on the Bolero Storm Chassis i.e Scorpio Front and Bolero Rear End, all with in 95", oh and NGT530 with T-18 and 4.27:1 diffs.

If 4Lo wasn't required maybe the trail wasn't tough enough? either ways most of us use 4Lo to slow the vehicle down, more torque is the by product.

How about sending one for the JEEPTHRILLS Munnar or Coorg OTR.

Regards,

Arka

PS - REALLY REALLY looking forward to the MM540, in fact I'm dreaming silly about it with the XYLO front Grille
Old 15th July 2009, 17:36   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Sigh...How I envy what you do.
Old 15th July 2009, 17:40   #44
BHPian

Quote:
the answer is - "in a class of its own". Now add genuine extra engine power + optimize transmission ratios + reduce weight + add a winch + ?????. As it is, 4WD low wasn't even required. Got it? You bet I enjoyed!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Guys, lets decipher this

"In a class of its own" - I have a feeling that this was a punch line of some product from Mahindra. Was it the Classic or CJ / CL 340 ? I have heard / read this punchline somewhere for sure...

Extra Engine Power - XD3P BS-III, CRDe or MHawk

Optimize Transmission Ratios - Please help me with this.

???? - Does this mean NGCS or M.D.L or A.D.L

This vehicle is gonna be fun.
Old 15th July 2009, 18:20   #45
Senior - BHPian

No longer a Mystery i Guess!

Quote:

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Behram Sir your detailed selective description is enough for Jeep enthusiasts to figure out what its all about. Infact now few can also list out tech specs i suppose.... Arka you just did it.
But my dear friends there is a lot we donot know yet!
Will the mystery xxxx ever get to taste Indian soil? For now this is the greatest suspense!

Last edited by vinod_nookala : 15th July 2009 at 18:27.

Most Viewed