Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2009, 12:36   #16
BHPian

Congrats Sha, the photographs are wonderful.
Old 15th July 2009, 12:45   #17
Senior - BHPian

Which is base camp - Phobrang CP or further up?
Old 15th July 2009, 12:48   #18
BHPian

Nice pictures SHA, and quite a feat too.

Every single time I look at pictures such as these, i wonder what i am doing sitting in office, and my urge to do something like this grows stronger. One day I will...
Old 15th July 2009, 13:29   #19
Sha
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
What a feat! Great pics and narrative! Hopefully we will also do the same in September!
Do not miss it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
I have a question: Why a oversize tube placed on other Gypsy? Is it having some specific use there is Ladakh region?
Thanks, Its stepney tire buddy just a map saying we are going from bangalore to ladakh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabareesh View Post
Congrats Sha, the photographs are wonderful.
Thanks..
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman7 View Post
like this grows stronger. One day I will...
Your Avtar is superman just fly it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Which is base camp - Phobrang CP or further up?
It's further up Around 20KM from Pobrang CP, I did not put photos I thought its sensitive place next to border.
Old 15th July 2009, 13:45   #20
BHPian

Sha,
Can you please map the location of Marisimik la on a google, the route taken if marked will be higly appreciated, Thank you,
Old 15th July 2009, 14:38   #21
Team-BHP Support

This is a great achievement Shakir and Vijay. While most follow the beaten path, you have gone where few civilians have gone before.

Marisimik La looks so deserted unlike the usual Leh travelogues. The images show the wonderful solitude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
I had tried in my Matiz in October and could not go 3 kms beyond Phobrang CP because of the loose soil.
Wow, you guys went to a place where even hvkumar hasn't gone not before.
Old 15th July 2009, 14:41   #22

Congrats

Hi, That was an amazing journey from Bangalore to Himalayas. its truly an inspirational adventure. A great SUV, best buddies & the mighty himalayas. Congrats once again. I saw my friend Rajesh in those photos. I heard about this epic journey from him too.

Hope to see more of those inspirational photos.
Regards
Hari
Old 15th July 2009, 14:49   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
I have a question: Why a oversize tube placed on other Gypsy? Is it having some specific use there is Ladakh region?
I guess you are referring to the cover for the fog lamp cluster on the roof of the gypsy Its not an oversize tube.
Old 15th July 2009, 15:20   #24
Sha
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
This is a great achievement Shakir and Vijay. While most follow the beaten path, you have gone where few civilians have gone before.

Marisimik La looks so deserted unlike the usual Leh travelogues. The images show the wonderful solitude.

Wow, you guys went to a place where even hvkumar hasn't gone not before.
Thanks Sharath, hvkumar tried in matiz hat off him in that terrain.
You are right it looks like deserted but there is calmness in those mountains.
Old 15th July 2009, 15:29   #25
Senior - BHPian

Many congratulations on conquering the mighty M La. many an effort has fallen by the way side. But I see that the conditions have much improved since the time I did it but the serene surroundings are still the same. How I long to be there once again.
Did you meet any downhill traffic I mean the ITB/Army Trucks. There were stretches where if you encountered one of these mammoth even your vehicle had to be an expert mountain climber, lolz. Good Old days when everything was just so simple no complications.
Old 15th July 2009, 15:52   #26
BHPian

Hearty congrats on conquering this place, the pics speaks a lot and thanks for sharing the loads of pic. It would be great if you could upload other pics as well.
Old 15th July 2009, 17:38   #27
Senior - BHPian

CONGRATS. That's really an awesome achievement - and befitting the Gypsy

DQ: What lies beyond? I've heard its a supply route and all sorta stories!
Old 15th July 2009, 18:13   #28
Senior - BHPian

COngratulations on a great Journey!

Sha,
Congratulations on your great journey!! Photographs have come out really well and some parts really required 4wd high just for that extra safety.

One question though- Was the a difference in mileage figures between gypsy fitted with freewheeling hubs and the one which wasnt? Your answer will bust the myth if any!

Mileage what you got from Gypsy is fantastic. It does not qualify to be called a guzzler.

How was your spine after such a long journey?
Old 15th July 2009, 22:19   #29
Sha
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAHIR.KITTUR View Post
Sha,
Can you please map the location of Marisimik la on a google, the route taken if marked will be higly appreciated, Thank you,
Will try and check out, I am not a gadget guy who use google map.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hari Krishna View Post
Hi, That was an amazing journey from Bangalore to Himalayas. its truly an inspirational adventure. A great SUV, best buddies & the mighty himalayas. Congrats once again. I saw my friend Rajesh in those photos. I heard about this epic journey from him too.

Hope to see more of those inspirational photos.
Regards
Hari
Thanks Mate, Most of the photos are taken by rajesh, he has such patience he clicked 1550 snaps in 12 hr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
Did you meet any downhill traffic I mean the ITB/Army Trucks. There were stretches where if you encountered one of these mammoth even your vehicle had to be an expert mountain climber, lolz. Good Old days when everything was just so simple no complications.
Thanks,While climbing we encountered trucks convoy. we are offroaders so no issue for us while climbing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
CONGRATS. That's really an awesome achievement - and befitting the Gypsy

DQ: What lies beyond? I've heard its a supply route and all sorta stories!
Lot of spy stories but cannot discuss on open forum buddy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
Sha,
Congratulations on your great journey!! Photographs have come out really well and some parts really required 4wd high just for that extra safety.
One question though- Was the a difference in mileage figures between gypsy fitted with freewheeling hubs and the one which wasnt? Your answer will bust the myth if any!

Mileage what you got from Gypsy is fantastic. It does not qualify to be called a guzzler.

How was your spine after such a long journey?
Thanks, you are right about 4WD usage and we used it whenever it's required.I get easily 13 KMPL so i am happy will not try wheel hubs what i have heard is steering becomes easy but i am comfortable with my setup. Recently Khan has fixed Hubs his experience steering is more free.
telling Gypsy is Guzzler is Myth buddy I have driven 8000 KM and I am happy with average i had calculated around 800 Litres of fuel but my gypsy drank only 590 Litres.
About my Spine frankly no pains.
Old 16th July 2009, 22:02   #30
BHPian

Dear Sha,

I have been to this place with my father between 1980-1982, he is the first officer to map the complete place along the chinese border in that area, Also there is a Airstrip made of perforated metal plate joined together,

Still remeber him playing golf in the summer,

Seriously miss the fun of being an officer in the Indian Army, Even today i regert, & where as freinds who were trained by my father have actually joined his own unit,

Field posting in the army is different & the best part is that you are in the remotest of places & that's where you get to see the beauty of the nature,

It is a must we all should go there & see the place once in your life time,

earlier it wasnt allowed for the civilian, today we can don't miss the chance,

best regards
Vinay Thomas
---------------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sha View Post
Do not miss it.

Thanks, Its stepney tire buddy just a map saying we are going from bangalore to ladakh.

Thanks..

Your Avtar is superman just fly it.

It's further up Around 20KM from Pobrang CP, I did not put photos I thought its sensitive place next to border.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks