Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2009, 16:36   #76
DKG
Senior - BHPian

What a trail !! Next year I am there for sure

BTW how did you guys assess the water current was not too strong for the Jeeps? With the waterfall so close it seems too dicey. Obviously you guys knew better. Do please let us know how you all made the assessment that it was okay to go in. From the pictures the water flow looks strong enough to sweep a car away.

I've seen a Gypsy literally float around in a small pond once and here you guys are crossing a river in spate. With water almost up to the top of the tyre I am amazed the Gypsy still held ground.

Last edited by DKG : 12th August 2009 at 16:39.
Old 12th August 2009, 16:47   #77
Sha
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdev29 View Post
is that patrol for sale??
I guess it's not for sale, Owner has many offroading vehicles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
Some questions:
Why did the NDMS tyres not perform? I thought they are supposed to be great in mud/slush? Was it some isolated cases or all jeeps with NDMs had issues?

Did water level have an impact on vehicles (intake/exhaust)?
About NDMS tyre it's better Vijay Reddy answer it but my experience seeing vijay's jeep it was all over the place but he enjoyed it the sliding part had great fun.
About Exhaust we had prepared it but we did not use it, Gypsy No water came in, you know Intake pipe is perfectly placed in Gypsy only issue is with Exhaust pipe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post

BTW how did you guys assess the water current was not too strong for the Jeeps? With the waterfall so close it seems too dicey. Obviously you guys knew better. Do please let us know how you all made the assessment that it was okay to go in. From the pictures the water flow looks strong enough to sweep a car away.
Marshal were locals they knew the terrain and they crossed it first with Winch Jeeps. If you analyse the photo properly one jeep sawyed little bit due to current force. There is one more photo where a guy slips and fell in the river luckily he made it otherwise gone.
Old 12th August 2009, 17:01   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Some questions:

Why did the NDMS tyres not perform? I thought they are supposed to be great in mud/slush? Was it some isolated cases or all jeeps with NDMs had issues?

Here is the reason: I had one set of good tires and another set of almost worn out tires. i placed the good ones in front and the bald ones in the rear. i could hav better control over steering and the front two tires were allways on the track, but the rear was the culprit. they used to slide left and right by changing the vehicle moving direction. anytime they are the best for slush!! there are few folks here who want to critisize on NDMS .

Quote:
Infact me & vijay had atleast 3-4 round of discussions and to his credit he tempted me a LOT to join in and I was almost swayed by his arguments (and even Shakir's) but then 'work sense' prevailed and had to drop out.
You could have made it. Sha came back to bangalore by sunday morning. anyways you MISSED it!! yes you MISSED it!!

Quote:

I've seen a Gypsy literally float around in a small pond once and here you guys are crossing a river in spate. With water almost up to the top of the tyre I am amazed the Gypsy still held ground.
DKG, the vehicles were asked to move diagnolly in the direction of water flow and then turn left suddenly to catch the other end. if you refer to 27th pic of 68th post, you will come to know the force of the water flow. The water flow has changed the direction of the 540.
Old 12th August 2009, 17:12   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Some questions:

Should be some isolated case. We had two vehicles with NDMS tyres(in perfect condition) and they performed well and didn't have any problem whatsoever.

No water level didn't had any impact on vehicles.
Old 12th August 2009, 17:36   #80
BHPian

Perfect trail and perfect weather, Hope I can join you guys next year.
Old 12th August 2009, 17:47   #81
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by star_aqua View Post
the vehicles were asked to move diagnolly in the direction of water flow and then turn left suddenly to catch the other end. if you refer to 27th pic of 68th post, you will come to know the force of the water flow. The water flow has changed the direction of the 540.
Boy that's a bit of dare devil driving !!! In your opinion wouldn't it be safer to have the Jeep tethered considering just downstream you had the waterfall?

I have no clue what you guys were up against. It just appears as a very strong current which could have washed a car away

I tend never to underestimate the power of water

In the opinion of those who crossed the river in hindsight would you say the crossing in that current was a calculated move or a chance crossing with a element of risk of being washed away?

Last edited by DKG : 12th August 2009 at 17:51.
Old 12th August 2009, 18:21   #82
BHPian

manthra!!

Quote:
Boy that's a bit of dare devil driving !!! In your opinion wouldn't it be safer to have the Jeep tethered considering just downstream you had the waterfall?

I have no clue what you guys were up against. It just appears as a very strong current which could have washed a car away

In the opinion of those who crossed the river in hindsight would you say the crossing in that current was a calculated move or a chance crossing with a element of risk of being washed away?
It was in deed a very strong current, but the whole manthra was the ground clearance of a 4x4. it was upto 30 inch depth and a jeep doesn't obstruct the flow of water till the tire submerges. if it was a car, yes as soon as it steps in, it will be almost like a boat which does not allow water to pass through it unlike a JEEP which has plenty of holes to pass through.
Old 12th August 2009, 20:13   #83
Sha
BHPian

Quote:

Nobody was thinking about getting washed away they were concerned more about Engine(water entering into air filter).
Old 12th August 2009, 20:55   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sha View Post
Nobody was thinking about getting washed away they were concerned more about Engine(water entering into air filter).
The Recce team had already washed their pack lunches away when they wet to set the tulip some days earlier.
And had to rebuild the engine coz the jeep was stranded in more than waist deep of water.
Hence that route was taken off the tulip..
Old 12th August 2009, 21:32   #85
BHPian

Well,what can I say,thanks Sha & Rajesh for capturing the action so very well.Although it conveys only 50% or less of what the terrain was like,the thread has got a 5 star rating.Wait for the videos(apparently the organizers are in the process of sending it to us) & let's see how many of you guys MISSED it.
Firstly,the route had a perfect mix of everything an offroadie would die for.Thanks to the Pioneers' tennis club,the organizers of the event.It was worth every penny we paid as entry.Secondly,thanks to the rain God for being so very generous to make the track slippery & slushy.

To answer some questions:
The river crossing was not too scary, for the simple reason that all the jeeps with winches had already crossed it.There were people guiding us about the exact line to be taken,inspite of which,I almost hit a boulder,backed up,changed into 2nd low & crossed it,all in the middle of a gushing river & a fall about 100ft away.
About the NDMS tyres not performing well,I think it was our observation only.But,our Geolandars were too good.
@Khan_sultan,after clearing every hurdle,we were talking about you & your spider .If only you were there...
Old 12th August 2009, 21:46   #86
Senior - BHPian

chandan,

For sure I missed it. I hope you will help us make it good. Look forward to your organising one event in Sakleshpur and Somvarpet.
Old 12th August 2009, 22:07   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaraka View Post
chandan,

For sure I missed it. I hope you will help us make it good. Look forward to your organising one event in Sakleshpur and Somvarpet.
Will do my best sir & try to please one & all.

Anyways,it's been bright & sunny here for the past few days & I doubt if the Sakleshpur event on 15th will be half as good.
Old 13th August 2009, 09:47   #88
Sha
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandan View Post
Well,what can I say,thanks Sha & Rajesh for capturing the action so very well.Although it conveys only 50% or less of what the terrain was like,the thread has got a 5 star rating.
You are right photos and writeup says only 50% of the terrain.
My friend Rajesh has captured all moments though he is amateur photographer and try to learn everyday, on the day of OTR he was not feeling well then also he took 990 Photos.
Old 13th August 2009, 10:06   #89
NIP
Senior - BHPian

More pics guys So many guys participated and so few pics !?
Old 13th August 2009, 10:41   #90
Senior - BHPian

i dont mind driving down next year for this terrain. its just awsome.

post some more pics you have 900 right.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks