Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2009, 22:00   #16
Senior - BHPian

Chennai Jeepers Independence day OTR @ Nagalapuram-nagalapuram-069.jpg

Chennai Jeepers Independence day OTR @ Nagalapuram-nagalapuram-076.jpg

Chennai Jeepers Independence day OTR @ Nagalapuram-nagalapuram-077.jpg

While you guys enjoying the pics I'm writing the summary will post them tomorrow...
Old 18th August 2009, 22:03   #17
Senior - BHPian

Trammway,

Terrain looks to be great. I liked the rock wall climbing by CJ3B.
Old 18th August 2009, 22:14   #18
Senior - BHPian

It is. We all offroaders with 14 vehicles had really nice time out there in the wilderness. The climate also added more fun on that day. This CJ3B climbed the wall after 4-5 attempt, but it is really really tough though.

Out next trip to this area will be a night halt one. I'm thinking of barbecue and bone fire to be part of the plan, after all offroad is a fun that helps like a stress reliever. Adding more spice to it like the above fun activities creates a strong bond among the friends. Offroad, swim, cook, eat and chat all in wilderness... Ohhhh I'm excited

Last edited by trammway : 18th August 2009 at 22:20.
Old 18th August 2009, 23:15   #19
Senior - BHPian

Old 18th August 2009, 23:46   #20
Senior - BHPian

Siva - the 1 green CJ340/CJ3B almost resembles the 'never alone' from moggapair...!!! I was like - WHAT - Siva took the 340 to a OTR already? Then noticed the small differences. Gypsy Rim, Rear Tail Gate door is diff.
Old 19th August 2009, 09:38   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
Siva - the 1 green CJ340/CJ3B almost resembles the 'never alone' from moggapair...!!! I was like - WHAT - Siva took the 340 to a OTR already? Then noticed the small differences. Gypsy Rim, Rear Tail Gate door is diff.

Never alone is expected to touch the ground again this weekend, let me hope for the best.
Old 19th August 2009, 10:35   #22
Senior - BHPian

Driving uphill or driving on an incline with hard surface needs patients and low torque; there are two things to consider 1. How much of low ratio you can get? 2. The Amount of traction you can get on your wheels.

That’s where the trick is, slippery surfaces always required constant momentum without wheel spin or breaking. These both can turn disastrous at time when you are driving on an incline. Remember the gypsy incident I was referring in my previous post, it was due to over speed that resulted loss of traction and loss of steering control. In the same incident the vehicle was stalled and finally we need to use recovery techniques.
Chennai Jeepers Independence day OTR @ Nagalapuram-climb.jpg

The actual thing I did was to engage the 4WD Low and 1st gear, then pushed the jeep slowly to the initial incline and proceeded further to the next level with little more power. But this time I didn’t give more acceleration to the engine. It was gradual yet strong push.
Chennai Jeepers Independence day OTR @ Nagalapuram-up.jpg

The above technique was helped me to gain much required traction and complete the obstacle. However I really had terrible feeling while going up and also reversing the vehicle when I had to stop the vehicle due to loss of power which was due to wrong gear drive. The illustration below helps newcomers to understand what I was talking here about.
Name:  incline.jpg
Views: 1694
Size:  8.7 KB

The best way to reverse the vehicles which got stuck on the middle of incline is to put the 4WD in to low mode and engage reverse gear so the vehicle attains the lowest possible speed, and keep the ignition on so the engine also control the speed. Mantra in this mode is that “Never Break, Accelerate or Apply Clutch”.
Chennai Jeepers Independence day OTR @ Nagalapuram-fall.jpg

After reaching the top, I said Wow, as the other side of the wall is another great offroad terrain that gives opportunity to water crossing
Chennai Jeepers Independence day OTR @ Nagalapuram-watercrossing.jpg

to be continued…

Last edited by Jaggu : 19th August 2009 at 10:58. Reason: Changing the illustartion to Jpeg so that it shows
Old 19th August 2009, 11:40   #23
Senior - BHPian

Awsome terrain siva. Thanks for exploring! I see some known faces apart from regulars like devi, gopi, vivek, satish etc. I still cant forget your friends very ordinary looking 540 with PS which i drove and got impressed by its mechanical fitness. I see the same jeep here. Ronnies ISUZU powered 3b was a treat to watch in TADA in 2007.

Naglapuram becomes a spot that is a must visit on list apart from your another discovery- Jawadhu. Keep it up!

p.s Nice write up man, you have got lot of patience:-)

Last edited by vinod_nookala : 19th August 2009 at 11:46.
Old 19th August 2009, 11:45   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
Awsome terrain siva. Thanks for exploring the same!
As I said earlier this location provides rock crawling, mud slips, inclines, water crossing opportunities.

See some more pics here below

Chennai Jeepers Independence day OTR @ Nagalapuram-5252_117757034450_512129450_2133823_7724885_n.jpg

Chennai Jeepers Independence day OTR @ Nagalapuram-5252_117757059450_512129450_2133825_7901324_n.jpg

Chennai Jeepers Independence day OTR @ Nagalapuram-5252_117757074450_512129450_2133826_7804803_n.jpg

Chennai Jeepers Independence day OTR @ Nagalapuram-5252_117757089450_512129450_2133827_3558361_n.jpg
Old 19th August 2009, 19:46   #25
Team-BHP Support

Great terrain, with all that rock, it must have been pretty challenging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trammway View Post
Driving uphill or driving on an incline with hard surface needs patients and low torque;
Thanks to swine flu, patients are in over-supply. Siva, please for spelling mistakes before you post, I see too many mistakes. You are surely aware that in Team-BHP we are very fussy about language.

Quote:
I feel this incline diagram is a little over-done, your tyres will need crampons to scale this >45 degree incline in slow speed.

Quote:
The best way to reverse the vehicles which got stuck on the middle of incline is to put the 4WD in to low mode and engage reverse gear so the vehicle attains the lowest possible speed, and keep the ignition on so the engine also control the speed. Mantra in this mode is that “Never Break, Accelerate or Apply Clutch”.
I am not anyway close to an offroad expert like you. But I do have couple of views here. The No-ABC principle can be used in any descent situation, not just reverse, but mostly in diesel vehicles. This is not very effective in petrol vehicles, unless they have extra low gearing like khan_sultan's Gypsy. Another thing I have noticed is that if the slope is very steep, the vehicle will overcome the traction provided by the slow turning tyres and starts sliding. What I mean is, beyond a certain steepness/slipperiness, using low gear (like 1st low or reverse low) is same as braking on the slope. In such cases, using 2nd low is better. In the well-known tiny hill in my office backyard, you will slide down trying to descent using No-ABC in 1st low (5.38 ratio), but retain control in 2nd low. This can't be helped in reverse since there is only one reverse gear. So depending on the steepness/slipperiness one has to pick the descent gear too, just my humble opinion.

I see the name Captain Gopi, I have spoken to him before on phone, is there some photograph of him?
Old 19th August 2009, 20:30   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Great terrain, with all that rock, it must have been pretty challenging.

Thanks to swine flu, patients are in over-supply. Siva, please for spelling mistakes before you post, I see too many mistakes. You are surely aware that in Team-BHP we are very fussy about language.

I feel this incline diagram is a little over-done, your tyres will need crampons to scale this >45 degree incline in slow speed.

I am not anyway close to an offroad expert like you. But I do have couple of views here. The No-ABC principle can be used in any descent situation, not just reverse, but mostly in diesel vehicles. This is not very effective in petrol vehicles, unless they have extra low gearing like khan_sultan's Gypsy. Another thing I have noticed is that if the slope is very steep, the vehicle will overcome the traction provided by the slow turning tyres and starts sliding. What I mean is, beyond a certain steepness/slipperiness, using low gear (like 1st low or reverse low) is same as braking on the slope. In such cases, using 2nd low is better. In the well-known tiny hill in my office backyard, you will slide down trying to descent using No-ABC in 1st low (5.38 ratio), but retain control in 2nd low. This can't be helped in reverse since there is only one reverse gear. So depending on the steepness/slipperiness one has to pick the descent gear too, just my humble opinion.

I see the name Captain Gopi, I have spoken to him before on phone, is there some photograph of him?
He he he already I've received certificates for my Language... will correct them before posting.

The diagram is done with paint brush pencil, hence there may be some errors. This is just an idea one not to be used for scaling purpose.

Ok, I forgot to mention this technique is used in Diesel jeeps and I'm not talking about Gypsy here.

But, I'm sure that the wheel will not spin/skid even if it in over angle on an hard surface as far as the vehicle is moving and the wheel is rotating. This is what I learned in my offroad experiences, may be the terrain that you are doing the offroad (small hill in your backyard) is little bit different then of I followed.T here is no complete how to for offroading theories, however these information could be tried out when you get a chance. In addition please note that the tyre's grip plays a major role too.

Check the photos which shows people sitting in the hotel, you can see the 1st one where a Gopi is wearing yellow colored top with number 46 written on it.

Last edited by trammway : 19th August 2009 at 20:37.
Old 19th August 2009, 21:16   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Thanks to swine flu, patients are in over-supply. Siva, please for spelling mistakes before you post
Samurai-San - in the rush to cure Siva's English flu, CHECK what you missed
Old 19th August 2009, 21:23   #28
Team-BHP Support

Good catch... Nobody is perfect, I generally re-read what I wrote, somehow I missed it.
Old 19th August 2009, 23:50   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
Samurai-San - in the rush to cure Siva's English flu, CHECK what you missed

Ah, there you go! may be a contagious disease. Readers be aware of English flu from this thread.
Old 20th August 2009, 10:22   #30
Senior - BHPian

Many of my friends reached the river and started crossing the water, since I was on the top of bund like structure, I was waiting for others to climb up the previously explained obstacle.
Chennai Jeepers Independence day OTR @ Nagalapuram-image029.jpg
Now, we all have to go down from top of the bund. This time the wall in the water body side was made of small rocks which are not tightly attached to the ground. The issues that we had to face are that of rolling rocks and protection of the underbody components from popping up stones.
Chennai Jeepers Independence day OTR @ Nagalapuram-untitled.jpg
The only thing we kept in our mind is to keep the steering straight to avoid any toppling incident and going down with 1st Low on 4WD mode. A wrong arrival angle position of such slope may cause toppling of the vehicle.
Chennai Jeepers Independence day OTR @ Nagalapuram-stuck.jpg

I was the last one to go on the slope, by that time one of our fellow offroader already got stuck in the shallow water crossing. This is time for recovery lessons but I was still coming down so they have already used tow straps connected to two vehicles and pull the gypsy out of the water.
Chennai Jeepers Independence day OTR @ Nagalapuram-recovery.jpg
Chennai Jeepers Independence day OTR @ Nagalapuram-helping.jpg
Chennai Jeepers Independence day OTR @ Nagalapuram-winchout.jpg
No offroad is complete without doing some recovery and that day it was happening in the water crossing area. After few minutes of water crossing, all of us have gathered and spend time in chatting and snacks.

Chennai Jeepers Independence day OTR @ Nagalapuram-touchingwater.jpg

Followed by the chat, it was group photo session. Where is the flag? This is Independence Day offroad and we hosted flag on the photo before extending farewell to Nagalapuram. The gang was so fabulous and extremely passionate about the 4 wheel drive enabled vehicles.

Chennai Jeepers Independence day OTR @ Nagalapuram-untitled4.jpg
Chennai Jeepers Independence day OTR @ Nagalapuram-untitled2.jpg

We thought the day was complete after moving out from Nagalapuram, but the actual fun awaited us on the way back to Chennai.
Chennai Jeepers Independence day OTR @ Nagalapuram-goingback.jpg

to be continued…

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks