Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2009, 11:10   #31
Senior - BHPian

Please count me in for the night halt trip. I am excited about this terrain, but more excited about the barbecue & bone fire thingy. Please let us know in advance for this one.
Old 20th August 2009, 11:27   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trammway View Post
We thought the day was complete after moving out from Nagalapuram, but the actual fun awaited us on the way back to Chennai.
Let me guess - It rained CATS&DOGS and you did a lil' OTR in a slushy area. (The last pic suggests the rain factor)
Old 20th August 2009, 11:53   #33
BHPian

Superbly Superb Trammway. Nice Photos and a great experince

wish i could join. Next time please let me know and i would defnitely join.
Old 20th August 2009, 21:25   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Please count me in for the night halt trip. I am excited about this terrain, but more excited about the barbecue & bone fire thingy. Please let us know in advance for this one.
Sure thing, I will call you when we organise the event.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
Let me guess - It rained CATS&DOGS and you did a lil' OTR in a slushy area. (The last pic suggests the rain factor)
He he he not that speed Santhosh, Just wait for tomorrow's post to know the thrill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikoneer View Post
Superbly Superb Trammway. Nice Photos and a great experince

wish i could join. Next time please let me know and i would defnitely join.
Thanks ikoneer. The photos were taken by Captain Gopinath, Myself, Karthik and Sharon. Not all the photos were received, We still have lods of pics and videos to come please hang on to this thread.
Old 20th August 2009, 22:53   #35
BANNED

Quote:
We thought the day was complete after moving out from Nagalapuram, but the actual fun awaited us on the way back to Chennai.
Attachment 177406

to be continued…
Well narrated Siva ,BTW what was the fun en route to chennai??
Old 21st August 2009, 07:58   #36
Senior - BHPian

Hail Trammaway aka Siva for conducting a wonderful OTR for freshers as also narrate the experience in style!
Old 21st August 2009, 12:10   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshguy View Post
Well narrated Siva ,BTW what was the fun en route to chennai??
Wait till my next post please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Hail Trammaway aka Siva for conducting a wonderful OTR for freshers as also narrate the experience in style!
Thanks for your comments & compliments, Freshers are the people who make the future, I'm happy that you recognized me in here.
Old 21st August 2009, 13:37   #38
Senior - BHPian

The convoy of offroaders slowly moved out of the dusty and rustic roads of villages and touched the tarmac, eventually that town (Uthukottai) turned out to be our lunch location at 4:20pm. The non-vegetarian meal with Ice cream deserts to fill the hungry stomachs after a great day at Nagalapuram was a chill out for us.

Some of our team guys parted from Uthukottai and zoomed towards Chennai on a different direction (Thiruvallur) to reach the south of Chennai much earlier than us. After spending some time in Uthukottai, the convoy started pushing towards Chennai and the route was planned via. PeriyaPalayam town. I must say that this town got a temple for Periyapalayathamman (Goddess) and have their festivals during this time of the year.

You know what the heavily congested crowd on the road including people, bus, car, bullock carts are too hectic for the small town. Before even touching the town I smelled a forth coming challenge driving the offroaders in the long standing (about 2 kms) traffic jam.

At a place we need to take right hand side direction to Chennai and the entire traffic is also flowing to the same direction as ours, so we decided to drive the vehicles on the shoulders off the road. To be precise they are marshland both the sides road ;-) so much of slush and mud due to the rain god’s recent visit.

Since the slush boulders were unusable by pedestrians and vehicles we thought our vehicles can do the stunt of live offroading in front of thousands of gathered public. I was second person in the convoy and following the gypsy in front of me. We were witnessed wide range of expressions from the public watching us. Some even wondered what are we trying to do and some waved hands as they understood the magic under our wheels.

It was fun driving for one full kilometer drive until we reached a point

to be continued …

Last edited by trammway : 21st August 2009 at 13:40.
Old 21st August 2009, 14:53   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
... you did a lil' OTR in a slushy area.
Quote:
...we decided to drive the vehicles on the shoulders off the road. To be precise they are marshland both the sides road ;-) so much of slush and mud due to the rain god’s recent visit.
I must be a Psychic
Old 21st August 2009, 16:10   #40
BHPian

Quote:

I knew the day is going to be one of unforgettable offroad day, the GoogleEarth provided excellent overview of the place called Nagalapuram, the night before our OTR.

By that time my mobile was ringing and, I saw the newly installed rearview mirror’s colorful leads flashing around the mirror. The mirror was given to me by Shibu and the mirror identifies if your mobile ringing and flash the LED lights to alert you that the mobile is ringing. He he he some jeep savvy person understood that the jeep’s sound will overcome any tiny electronic gadget sound and came up with this brilliant idea. to be continued...
Wow, I guess you will need cellular coverage for these gadgets. Where can I buy one of these rear view mirrors ?

This may be a dumb question, how come you guys did not come towards the Palar challenge, I think it was the same week end, where the terrain was simply awsome ?

Cheers
Old 21st August 2009, 19:41   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKCRUISERS View Post
Wow, I guess you will need cellular coverage for these gadgets. Where can I buy one of these rear view mirrors ?

This may be a dumb question, how come you guys did not come towards the Palar challenge, I think it was the same week end, where the terrain was simply awsome ?

Cheers
This device identifies any mobile signal with in a short distance, if it identifies rining, sms or even tower change signals then it automatically start blinking. I have really benefited out of this gadget a lot in the recent days. I got this cool stuff as gift from my friend Shibu (JeepCaptain in TBHP) of Dubai.
Chennai Jeepers Independence day OTR @ Nagalapuram-mirror.jpg
We were in Nagalapuram, that is what I'm narrating in this entire thread.

Last edited by trammway : 21st August 2009 at 19:50.
Old 21st August 2009, 21:53   #42
BHPian

Quote:
It is. We all offroaders with 14 vehicles had really nice time out there in the wilderness. The climate also added more fun on that day. This CJ3B climbed the wall after 4-5 attempt, but it is really really tough though.

Out next trip to this area will be a night halt one. I'm thinking of barbecue and bone fire to be part of the plan, after all offroad is a fun that helps like a stress reliever. Adding more spice to it like the above fun activities creates a strong bond among the friends. Offroad, swim, cook, eat and chat all in wilderness... Ohhhh I'm excited
Even just going through this thread EXCITES me..........Oh God Siva !! This Trammway is trying to pull me out of my garage to join this fantastic Offroader group..................let me complete the 3 pending projects & jump on to a CJ3B
Old 21st August 2009, 22:53   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by powertwin View Post
Even just going through this thread EXCITES me..........Oh God Siva !! This Trammway is trying to pull me out of my garage to join this fantastic Offroader group..................let me complete the 3 pending projects & jump on to a CJ3B
Sir, you can join me even before your CJ3B project. I will soon call you to join me for the next otr which is very close to your home. Wondering where is it going to happen ? you will get to know about it very soon.
Old 22nd August 2009, 13:03   #44
Senior - BHPian

The gypsy infront me slipped into the long running channel dugged up by previous pipe line laying project. Left side of both the front and rear tyres on the nealy one foot deep slushy channel loosing tracktion to move further, also the rest of the wheel in the no traction area started rotating faster without any grip. Oh man, I'm just half feet behind him so no way of going front and back tricks to get some grip.
Chennai Jeepers Independence day OTR @ Nagalapuram-crowdwatching.jpg
Its already fun for watching crowd, many came forward to help us out. But we refused accept the volunteers as we were confident enough to create some room for recovery.
Chennai Jeepers Independence day OTR @ Nagalapuram-gypsystuck1.jpg
The explorer could move a bit backwards and I quickly rushed into the packed recovery gears to engage my winch. Where is the winch operation cable, where to hook the winch cable in gypsy, D Shackle put it here.... oh man now the crowd is also to an exhorbitant level.
Chennai Jeepers Independence day OTR @ Nagalapuram-cables.jpg
Chennai Jeepers Independence day OTR @ Nagalapuram-getthemallfast.jpg
“Oh, I shouldn't forget the winching techniques in the crowded areas”, my mind keep telling me to avoid any unwanted insident. While connecting the winch hooks etc, I was keep asking the crowd to stay away and explaining them about danger infront of them if they stay close.
Chennai Jeepers Independence day OTR @ Nagalapuram-winching.jpg
I understood they got the message really faster and moved backwards. Some one helped me throwing a gunny bag as engery obsorber too.

It was all in a real quick speed, winching is something the on going crowd didn't expect from this colorful vehicles. But they were excited, I was watching few bus drivers and truck guys looking at the entire efforts from distance.
Chennai Jeepers Independence day OTR @ Nagalapuram-gypsyout.jpg

With no time, the gypsy was put on to the tarmac, by then my wheels were also got stuck. God! what a time. Already some of the cops on duty came to the spot to see if we are creating obstacle to the trafic, but they themself understood no such things created by us. In fact they helped us by keeping the crowd off the spot. The police men also exicted to see how the things are going, the yellow gypsy from behind my vehicle came into action to pull me out. Since my winch didn't work as the winch is pulling the gypsy itself dude to sluch under the rubber and no grip for the gypsy.
Chennai Jeepers Independence day OTR @ Nagalapuram-towstrap.jpg
Chennai Jeepers Independence day OTR @ Nagalapuram-gypsypullingme.jpg
As this gypsy didn't have tow hook there was no much help from my cables, Sathish had a tow strap to hang on to the shackle. Finally with little acceleration on my explorer and the gypsy towing me out from the sluch, explorer came out of the place. During all these exercise atleast 2-3 police vehicles passed and they were very helpful in giving tips and volunteer us in getting the things on road. I must say, the bow shackle, D Shackle and tow hook on the vehicle, the cables all were used in an emergency situation. Every second we delay we had to face people, traffic, police and comments too, so the SOS mode.
Chennai Jeepers Independence day OTR @ Nagalapuram-queueforrecovery.jpg
Chennai Jeepers Independence day OTR @ Nagalapuram-mm540stuck.jpg
Since my Jeep was out of the place, I asked all the following jeeps to come out of the shoulders to the road and cops played a greater role in helping us by stopping the traffic for all of us to comeout. By then we spotted a Maruti 800 being pushed by a elderly gengle man and woman, I asked them what is the issue and they didn't say anything. Since we all have to follow them, Vivek stopped them to ask what is the issue with the car, he understood something and got into the car and asked all of us to push the car, the car started and he zoomed out of the spot. I could see the elderly people had doubt in their eyes I asked them to go towards the direction the car zoomed.

After a minute gap everyone who followed me earlier have already passed the place. I was also starting to move, within few foot away I saw my HCL friend Samy's MM5540 is stuck in the slush. Yahoooooo one more recovery all in a matter of minute or less. Including this MM540 all the three vehicles got recovered in matter of minutes, One should have watched the effetiveness of knowing the recovery kits to do this speed and being all of us are offroaders there is nothing new, but the time and location added spice to the day.

We pushed the vehicles hard and with half kilometer got to stop at a fuel pump where Vivek and the Maruti 800 with the elderly couple were stopped.

While I was trying to talk to the people, some one from our team stopped me to convey the message that the couple are deaf and dump. I went speech less, if anyone else traveled with them? The man saw my hand signs and understood my question and showed a “No” by shaking his head.
I asked Vivek what is the issue, he said the clutch cable in this car got cut so they were unable to drive. Since Vivek knew how to drive a car without clutch (put the car on 2nd gear and we pushed it to crank so the car can go on the road until it has to stop) he drove it till the petrol bump to avoid traffic disturbance.
Chennai Jeepers Independence day OTR @ Nagalapuram-elderly.jpg

Since that day was Independance day and all the business were closed that too in a remote place, we knew the issue ahead of these couple. For them explaining their problem to someone who cannot understand a automobile or their sign language is going to be even worser. Our guys went on asking for details of any mechanic or garage who can attend these couple but they returned with sorry face.

to be continued...

Last edited by trammway : 22nd August 2009 at 13:05.
Old 25th August 2009, 16:49   #45
Senior - BHPian

Nice gesture trammway, always help the needy, thats the spirit of sports.

Quote:
he drove it till the petrol bump to avoid traffic disturbance.

What's a petrol bump ? Is it the opposite of a speed bump ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks