Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st August 2009, 19:44   #76
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertKing View Post
You took so much time to recongnize it.... . Thanks finally you are agree with me... .

Here are a couple of photos where I tried to accomodate your request, hope I am not disappointing you...!! (he wanted me to click a nice photo of his Jeep).. In the first photo, the Elephant chain look like you have to tie it as else it can run away at it's own. Happy Jeeping.
Hey Naren, Nice Photos, a piece of suggestion (kindly ignore if you find it irrelevant ), in the second pic, if you have shifted focus from the grass to the jeep, it would have been perfect, also, a little zoom in with more Jeep and less ground would have been much apt.

P.S. - I am not a photography expert and always enjoyed taking photos and comments & critics are most welcome
Old 21st August 2009, 21:36   #77
BANNED

Snorkel ?

Hi 4x4 gurus.

What is the use of snorkel and why is it used in offroading vehicles ?

I the TPC i could see that only few jeeps have it, please let me know whats the advantage over a vehicle which doesnt have it
Old 22nd August 2009, 10:40   #78
Senior - BHPian

joshguy,
Snorkel is primarily for extremely dusty conditions and hot climate areas. Air at the top is much cooler than what is fed from the engine bay and lot cleaner as well. The life of air cleaner increases and hence the engine life. engine also runs a little cooler.

Snorkel is also used for water fording. There have been times when jeepers have seized thier engines while fording deep water. Snorkel prevents immediate engine damage. That doesnt mean vehicles fitted just with a snorkel can ford upto winshield. Infact for such kind of water fording each and every component must be sealed so that water doesnt get into it.

YouTube - 4xforum's Channel

Last edited by vinod_nookala : 22nd August 2009 at 10:43.
Old 22nd August 2009, 12:13   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balajird View Post
in the second pic, if you have shifted focus from the grass to the jeep, it would have been perfect, also, a little zoom in with more Jeep and less ground would have been much apt.
Hi balajird, thanks for the comments. I was not quite happy with the second picture due to too much grass and due to focus error. I am a very much newbie in the photography. This is my 1st camera which is Nikon L100 - a point and shoot 15X zoom camera. I am learning and would improve along with the experience.

I and Vinod were kidding regarding I being a good photographer .
Old 22nd August 2009, 13:32   #80
Senior - BHPian

Individual Special Stage Competition

After tyre changing without Jack and Vehicle Recovery.

It was time for the Individual Special Stage Competition, where organizers and participants can compete against each other, and show their vehicles and talents.

Venkat and I, decided to go around and select a section of 5 climbs and descents. The entire O-Team assembled at the ISSC, and they participants were allowed a walk-about, the time limit was set at 30sec per climb & Descent, seeing the participants finish 30min Special Stages, I got a bit carried away, some of the participants suggested we increase the time-limit, we decided on 5 minutes.

Maj.Roy suggested that we try out the course to get an ideal time.

I did the run in my MM540XD with Mhd.Ali as Navigator, it took us 9:46minutes DNF, we couldn't do one Climb and another was eliminated because of chances of vehicle roll-over.

We finally settled for 3 Climbs and 6 Minutes.

The best timing Ranjith Kuttan (M&M Classic) - 1:17mins
Second Mhd.Ali (MM540XD) - 1:24mins
Third Vikram. R (MG413W) - 1:24mins (1 extra attempt).

After the competition Sean Hameed clocked 1:14mins in a CJ3B (XD3P).

Pics By Darshan Maralanda
Attached Thumbnails
THE PALAR CHALLENGE 2009: Event Report-dsc_0140.jpg  

THE PALAR CHALLENGE 2009: Event Report-dsc_0176.jpg  

THE PALAR CHALLENGE 2009: Event Report-dsc_0180.jpg  

THE PALAR CHALLENGE 2009: Event Report-dsc_0181.jpg  

THE PALAR CHALLENGE 2009: Event Report-dsc_0182.jpg  

THE PALAR CHALLENGE 2009: Event Report-dsc_0183.jpg  

THE PALAR CHALLENGE 2009: Event Report-dsc_0184.jpg  

THE PALAR CHALLENGE 2009: Event Report-dsc_0186.jpg  

THE PALAR CHALLENGE 2009: Event Report-dsc_0187.jpg  

THE PALAR CHALLENGE 2009: Event Report-dsc_0194.jpg  

THE PALAR CHALLENGE 2009: Event Report-dsc_0195.jpg  

THE PALAR CHALLENGE 2009: Event Report-dsc_0198.jpg  

THE PALAR CHALLENGE 2009: Event Report-dsc_0199.jpg  

THE PALAR CHALLENGE 2009: Event Report-dsc_0201.jpg  

THE PALAR CHALLENGE 2009: Event Report-dsc_0206.jpg  

THE PALAR CHALLENGE 2009: Event Report-dsc_0209.jpg  

THE PALAR CHALLENGE 2009: Event Report-dsc_0210.jpg  

THE PALAR CHALLENGE 2009: Event Report-dsc_0212.jpg  

THE PALAR CHALLENGE 2009: Event Report-dsc_0213.jpg  

THE PALAR CHALLENGE 2009: Event Report-dsc_0215.jpg  

Old 24th August 2009, 11:08   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertKing View Post
Hi balajird, thanks for the comments. I was not quite happy with the second picture due to too much grass and due to focus error. I am a very much newbie in the photography. This is my 1st camera which is Nikon L100 - a point and shoot 15X zoom camera. I am learning and would improve along with the experience.

I and Vinod were kidding regarding I being a good photographer .
Thanks for your understanding, i always love to take photos and learn the art of photography from others. Unfortunately my camera recently conked off and i am looking for buying another one. I wish i am part of one of the off roading events and take photos to my satisfaction.

Just a suggestion, try "Programmed Auto (P)" mode in the camera and fiddle around the settings to get better focus and output. If you have played with all the settings in your camera, try the Aperture (A) priority and Shutter (S) priority modes to get better outputs. Finally, you can play with the manual mode.
Old 24th August 2009, 16:02   #82
Senior - BHPian

Campsite & Trophies 13/08/09

Hi Guys,

The pics of AdventureZone Campsite and pics of the trophies.

Pics by Darshan Maralanda

Regards,

Arka
Attached Thumbnails
THE PALAR CHALLENGE 2009: Event Report-dsc_0816.jpg  

THE PALAR CHALLENGE 2009: Event Report-dsc_0818.jpg  

THE PALAR CHALLENGE 2009: Event Report-dsc_0819.jpg  

THE PALAR CHALLENGE 2009: Event Report-dsc_0820.jpg  

THE PALAR CHALLENGE 2009: Event Report-dsc_0824.jpg  

THE PALAR CHALLENGE 2009: Event Report-dsc_0832.jpg  

THE PALAR CHALLENGE 2009: Event Report-dsc_0833.jpg  

THE PALAR CHALLENGE 2009: Event Report-dsc_0834.jpg  

THE PALAR CHALLENGE 2009: Event Report-dsc_0835.jpg  

THE PALAR CHALLENGE 2009: Event Report-dsc_0836.jpg  

THE PALAR CHALLENGE 2009: Event Report-dsc_0837.jpg  

THE PALAR CHALLENGE 2009: Event Report-dsc_0838.jpg  

THE PALAR CHALLENGE 2009: Event Report-dsc_0839.jpg  

THE PALAR CHALLENGE 2009: Event Report-dsc_0840.jpg  

THE PALAR CHALLENGE 2009: Event Report-dsc_0842.jpg  

THE PALAR CHALLENGE 2009: Event Report-dsc_0843.jpg  

THE PALAR CHALLENGE 2009: Event Report-dsc_0856.jpg  

THE PALAR CHALLENGE 2009: Event Report-dsc_0857.jpg  

THE PALAR CHALLENGE 2009: Event Report-dsc_0858.jpg  

Old 24th August 2009, 16:18   #83
Senior - BHPian

@Arka, ANy pics of the wheel change without jack event?
Old 24th August 2009, 16:25   #84
Senior - BHPian

Vikram, was that a 1 litre or a 1.3L gypsy ?
Old 24th August 2009, 16:50   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Vikram, was that a 1 litre or a 1.3L gypsy ?
1.3 litre gypsy carburated belting out 60 horses.
Old 24th August 2009, 23:31   #86
Senior - BHPian

Palar event -My review

Guys,
The palar event must have been over and full 10 days on the growl of engines and flying sand and mud are still fresh in my mind! Here comes my short and crisp event report of palar 2009:-)

Competition
  • Competition was tough with jeepers being prepared for this event with all their ammunition ready and all were formidable drivers. Presence of sean hameed and darshan from srilanka were icing on the cake.
  • Kudos to the guys who came from salem and Erode trucking thier vehicles and was probabaly thier first time on sand. They did well and have carried home huge learning
  • ATV's were the event highlight. Most of us till then havent seen ATV's performing live in thier life including me. Kudos to the guy who trucked his ATVs just for this event.
  • My team mate sanjay david was probabaly the best prepared guy i the whole competition. He had all the tools and recovery gear, special sand tyres minus winch. Patriks experience and immaculate 3b had the winch and i must say it had a major role in our victory
  • Headers team had experienced guys and it was showing! They had formidable vehicles and were palar veterans. Two of the three vehicles became probelm prone at the end of first day. That helped us a bit:-) Despite that we knew it was tough
  • Bhaskar kesavulu and RFC fame sean hameed were in one team and were treat to watch. Had it been they had a good third team mate this trophy would have been thier's! Lucky we!!:-))
  • Kerela guys were good as well but except for classis other two vehicles were not meant for sand. Thier suspension and engine setup was more for jungle trail and sluch roading.
Special Stages
  • This was Arkas department and he had promised us that he would rip us and he lived up to his promise. Atleast 50% of the stages were world class (RFC guys had told us) Few invlolved dangereous manevours. No body clicked it as even the photographers were **** scared of vehicle roll over
  • This time the stages were manned mostly by budding jeepers and they did a fantastic job. Not only they went by rule book they made our life miserable by their strictness and no compromise nature. Hats off to them for standing under hot sun, more difficult task than driving according to me!
  • Special atges had ramp over angles suitable for vehicles with portal axles and spring overs! 3b's and Gypsys were landing on thier belly leave alone MM540's! It was a combintion of soft sand aproach, hard break over and then mud pit exit/entry into another stage. In order to gain pints we winched the vehicles literally see-sawing over kerbs! My cross memeber took the beating badly!
Evaluation
  • The evaluation process was fair to say the least. Grade points were simple to understand and all had clear instructions hence no confusion and complaints!!
Hospitality & Professionalism
  • TPC has come a long way in this department. Every year it is getting only better and i believe year 2008 was turning point.
  • Major roy is a thorough professional with no nonsense approach! The arrangements made by him at the camp were top class for the price paid
  • Adventure zone staff are like silent soldiers who supported the event with utmost vigour. Be it food, arrangement and collection of supplies they wwre always there
My Vehicle & codriver
  • It goes without saying that my vehicle MM540 was the real workhorse. Did remarkably well despite tons of beating that it took in two and half days event! Not even a single problem! I have a new found respect for it since it just did the same second consequtive time!! I maintain my vehicle in stock condition and yet it proved again stock se up is the best set up!!
  • My codriver desert king was the showman. He ran around guiding in difficuilt sections, helped towing vehicles out, show the right way and what not. He managed to click some beautiful pictures too!! Thanks for being there from so far Naren!
All in all a great event with great set of people both organisers and participants! I strongly feel every 4x4 owner must try palar challenge atleast once!!

(some pics from my mobile which i managed to capture- Last pic is that of my son playing with the trophy:-))), blue shirt guy is naren my co-driver and beige colour T shirt is me)
Attached Thumbnails
THE PALAR CHALLENGE 2009: Event Report-140820091088.jpg  

THE PALAR CHALLENGE 2009: Event Report-140820091089.jpg  

THE PALAR CHALLENGE 2009: Event Report-140820091090.jpg  

THE PALAR CHALLENGE 2009: Event Report-140820091091.jpg  

THE PALAR CHALLENGE 2009: Event Report-160820091092.jpg  

THE PALAR CHALLENGE 2009: Event Report-160820091093.jpg  

THE PALAR CHALLENGE 2009: Event Report-160820091094.jpg  

THE PALAR CHALLENGE 2009: Event Report-160820091096.jpg  

THE PALAR CHALLENGE 2009: Event Report-160820091100.jpg  

THE PALAR CHALLENGE 2009: Event Report-160820091098.jpg  

THE PALAR CHALLENGE 2009: Event Report-160820091099.jpg  

THE PALAR CHALLENGE 2009: Event Report-160820091101.jpg  

Last edited by vinod_nookala : 24th August 2009 at 23:33.
Old 25th August 2009, 07:35   #87
BHPian

Great event! Good sponsors, good prizes, good terrain, good organising, good participation. Way to go!

What impressed me most was the safety standards. ATV riders always in helmets and complete protective riding gear. The First Aid demo was a great addition.

And the fried fish was cool

So was the 'breaking'. Am referring to the picture below which actually should have been 'braking'.
THE PALAR CHALLENGE 2009: Event Report-breaking.jpg

Will surely be there for your next event. And hope to see you here in Hyderabad for our next Jeep Thrills event.
Old 25th August 2009, 11:10   #88
BHPian

@Mazda:You have quite a sharp eye there.

@Vinod:That was a very crisp report.
Old 25th August 2009, 12:07   #89
Senior - BHPian

Naren,
Where are tons of pics and videos that you have? Please post them
Old 25th August 2009, 12:39   #90
BHPian

Day 1

Most of the teams arrived by late afternoon and after a quick briefing session, everyone strted moving towards the clay pits to get the men and machines warmed up for the 2 gruelling days that lay ahead.

It had rained overnight and the clay pits were waterlogged. Now picture the glee on Arka's face. The 1ton was the first vehicle in the pits and it did look rather intimidating. What added to it was the attention it received from the participants and the local alike. All the other vehicles followed with a few of them making it and a few unable to do so due to the soft sand (under the water) that had started getting deeper and deeper with every passing Jeep. The day included quite a few tricky inclines, declines and multi obstacle sections that was challenging but nothing when compared to what was in store over the next 2 days.

All brown and dirty, we made our way back to the campsite where were were joined by a few more teams. The team from Salem arrived only by 4 the next morning.

Last minute preparations and fine tuning was on upon arriving back at the campsite. From sorting out fuel issues to radiators, to checking on the usual breakdown suspects a few even went about washing their vehicles and clearing out those last few stains to ensure that their vehicles gleam and shine the next day. Everyone retired to their beds pretty early after dinner on day one in anticipation of what lay ahead the next day.

Last edited by petrol_head : 25th August 2009 at 12:46.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks