Team-BHP - THE PALAR CHALLENGE 2009: Event Report
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   4x4 Excursions (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-excursions/)
-   -   THE PALAR CHALLENGE 2009: Event Report (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-excursions/63720-palar-challenge-2009-event-report-8.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by vinod_nookala (Post 1453193)
So where do tyres come here? Well, tall tyres of sanjay gave 540 almost match 3bs breakover angle and allowed him to go low tyre pressures (he could have still gone lower). Never found his sand tyres zooming off and my tyres struggling for grip in the same section. Floatation is the key on sand , thread is not! HT's are pathetic in slush and mud i agree but on sand i didnt find any difference!

4x4 gurus can throw some light...

p.s- Iam looking forward to this discussion as this would decide my next tyre, else Arka will not allow me participate next time

Vinod,

Now I know how to threaten you, put you on the O-Team, break your winning streak. :D

On the note of the tyre, Flotation is key on any soft surface, it is decided by,
Primary Contact patch (the obvious 7"/8" Section width X length of contact section)
Secondary contact patch is determined by the Tread Pattern, because of undulation (treads) the contact patch increase by 10-30%.

The tread has a paddle or rudder effect.

Paddle is good for scooping the surface and increasing acceleration, though its very wasteful (in the pure design) and for climbs, did you see the Salem vehicles (JONGA & CJ5) float & climb, excluding the driver errors.

Rudder is good for steering i.e the centre rib, and absorb most of the road bumps.

Most tyres are combination of Paddle & Rudder e.g NDMS/NDCC even the Maxxis Trepador/Mudzilla/CreepyCrawler Simex Jungle Trekker/ Extreme Trekker, Tractor Rear Tyres, Tratcor Front Tyres.

The break-over angle factor can be manged with a bit of driver input, as your front wheels cross, rev up to clear the crest so that the nose comes down, even if you are stuck its easier to recover.

DO NOT TRY THIS IF YOU HAVE NOT WALKED THE TERRAIN.

or

as Dr. Jones correctly observed in the clay pits reverse up the slope, the cross-member is further behind as to frontal approach, hence you get longer reach before cross member fouls :uncontrol

I would suggest 7.50X16 NDMS if you intend to keep only one set.
If you want to keep 2 sets then 7.50X16 NDMS & 7.50X16 Apollo Bullet.

Regards,

Arka

Now that was some serious Gyanclap:

Would first like to see NDMS 7.50/16 performance on sand before deciding on the tyres. AFAIK no one has tried it till now. I cannot afford to have 2 sets of tyres. Would prefer having a tyre that is more or less an all rounder, good on sand and slush. Maxxis seems to be the best bet, but costs a bomb. May go in for Apollo bullet as suggested before next palar, but i think they are pretty bad in slush and slippery grass.

clap:Guys, TPC09 report on the Hindu Supplementary

Anybody could scan or post the link here?

I was just going to ask the same. I got Arkas message in the morning. Unfortunately my town does not carry the supplement of the Metro Plus in the Hindu. Tried to search for it in the e paper, but in vain.

Hi Guys,

A writeup in The Hindu on The Palar Challenge 2009.

the link --
The Hindu : Metro Plus Chennai / Events : Roughing it out

Hi Guys,

A full episode about TPC09 is being aired by SS Music in the Car n Bike Show.

The Schedule
18th Friday - 1200hrs
19th Saturday - 2245hrs

SS MUSIC

Regards,

Arka

PS - If any of you can record it, that will be very helpful.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ex670c (Post 1489545)
PS - If any of you can record it, that will be very helpful.

+1 to that. I'll not be able to watch it and would appreciate if we can find an alternative way to watch it apart from the show on SS Music.

thanks Arka for the SMS.

Too bad I dont have SS music on TATA SKY !!!! Hope for some youtube uploads later.

Quote:

Originally Posted by svsantosh (Post 1489626)
thanks Arka for the SMS.

Too bad I dont have SS music on TATA SKY !!!! Hope for some youtube uploads later.

Same here. No SS Music on Airtel Digital either.

Quote:

Originally Posted by esteem_lover (Post 1497362)
Same here. No SS Music on Airtel Digital either.

So how many did get to see this telecast?

Quote:

Originally Posted by 14000rpm (Post 1498685)
So how many did get to see this telecast?

I got to see it sat night. It was a mixture of the Vintage car meet where they interviewed Raghu and his Jag E Type and a little bit of Palar where there were snippets of some of our vehicles.

They interviewed Sundar - The owner of the ATVs, who claimed the ATVs do 0-100 in 4 seconds:Frustrati

The ATVs are good but not that good!

Guess the press guys were there more for the glamour than witness the real stuff. Anyways, there's always a next time.

Overall, an eye opener for many who did not know such an event existed!

Cheers to the organising team clap:

Quote:

Originally Posted by vinod_nookala (Post 1450372)
Mazdayar,
That was Ragav taking a short ride on ATV. He wasnt competing. I was present at the location and he was pretty slow, rather just getting a taste of ATV and was posing for the pic thats it! For a pic you need to be without helmet..doesnt it? :-)))

Never seen a king pose without his crown. :)
I strongly believe that if someone is on a machine with its engine running, he should be in full safety gear. Atleast a helmet.

awsome offroading snaps

A picture speak more than a thousand of words.. and what about a video??? Check this out the first official video of TPC...

YouTube - The Palar Challenge