Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2009, 21:25   #61
BHPian

for those who want more...

Picasa Web Albums - vijay - Munzrabad to BHP
Old 8th September 2009, 21:38   #62
Senior - BHPian

oh, the 2nd day pics started.

Chandan's wife has to be appreciated here. She was driving the jeep for all these trails and the only jeep to complete all, without getting stuck anywhere.

Ok, ok, she did not try the last hill climb, but still.

After a great breakfast, we met Mr.Vikram around 10am. Initial plan was to meet him at 8am.

When we were waiting for him, it started raining and we (khan &myself) were in dilema to thank for the rain or pray for it to stop. Because we were in the open Gypsy. Finally got a alternative workaround. We decided to use the umbrella whereever possible. We would be the ONLY person doing this I guess. Lol...

We were initially shocked to see him on this long wheel base bolero pickup. We even thought if he would be able to show us challenging trails.

But, he proved all our thinking was wrong. Since he was leading all the way, I do not have any pics of its action.

We crossed so many water streams, slush etc and was so surprised to see a Tata Vista on those trails. Not sure if he would have taken same trail as us. But the place we saw it was itself a challenging terrain for that.

Whenever we reach a hill, Vikram will ask 2 questions.
1. Do you want to go to that hill? pointing towards a greeny hill far there.
2. Do you want a easier route or challenging route?

Ya, you guessed right. Our guys always wanted the challenging one and it was indeed challenging.

I think the most challenging was 2 locations.

1. The last hill climb
2. The starting / ending portion of the trail from the resort, where we saw the Discovery.

What say guys?

Look at this wheels just after playing in the slush.
The Monsoon OTR - Hill climbings, stream crossing in rain with lots of pain...-dsc00421.jpg

You should have seen it after the stream crossing. It was sparkling new!

And its Chandan with his Vehicle at the back.

Last edited by mjothi : 8th September 2009 at 21:57.
Old 8th September 2009, 23:39   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
I never even thought that these Lamda locking hubs are so stupid that nuts will fall off. I lost all 6 on one wheel and 3 on the other.
ha ha.. you are lucky that the circlip was still holding the hub, but in my case it fell off somewhere and lamda guys knows that it will fall off one day, but they don't know the reason. thats why they ask us to use a circlip. and after i lost one, i now have the spare hub bolts in my jeep. THANKS to Kittigadu for offering his hub which was feeling lonely after it lost its better half.

One bolt on left hub in the spidey has been sheered off. you may have to take it to the lathe for removing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan
Well, that 'jeeper' did try his BEST to get the Gypsy stuck but it did not get stuck. On day 2 he managed to do it eventually -- in wrong gear at the wrong place
Well, did you notice a gypsyer trying his best to get the JEEP not stuck? but it got stuck. and finally a jeeper took the control, it came out.
Moral of the story: A jeeper can handle a gypsy but a gypsyer cannot handle a jeep.

man, i doubt whether you really enjoy driving the spidey. whats the fun in driving it without getting stuck anywhere? on any terrain, its just as simple as driving on a highway and driver skills are not at all required .

Last edited by star_aqua : 8th September 2009 at 23:53.
Old 9th September 2009, 08:00   #64
BHPian

Khan, I just love your Gypsy man.. Dirty Gypsy is something I cannot take my eyes off from.
Old 9th September 2009, 09:45   #65
BHPian

Hi Khan and all I too last all the bolts of lamda hub on one side, i checked it after wash !!!
Please any one call lamda and report this.
Old 9th September 2009, 10:11   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by star_aqua View Post

Well, did you notice a gypsyer trying his best to get the JEEP not stuck? but it got stuck. and finally a jeeper took the control, it came out.
Moral of the story: A jeeper can handle a gypsy but a gypsyer cannot handle a jeep.
GRRR... Who says so? Next OTR I am hijacking your jeep for sure and show you what you say is not true.

Nice pictures there.
Old 9th September 2009, 10:22   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swastikviji View Post
Hi Khan and all I too last all the bolts of lamda hub on one side, i checked it after wash !!!
Please any one call lamda and report this.
I had reported it to Arun a week back. and he told they wil investigate, but if this is the case, we should ask them to provide us a single hub.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaraka View Post
GRRR... Who says so? Next OTR I am hijacking your jeep for sure and show you what you say is not true.

Nice pictures there.
Saar, you are not a Gypsyer .
Old 9th September 2009, 10:43   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I had reported it to Arun a week back. and he told they wil investigate, but if this is the case, we should ask them to provide us a single hub.

Saar, you are not a Gypsyer .
Gypsy folks are you listening? will hijack jeeps en-mass.
Old 9th September 2009, 11:05   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
... man, i doubt whether you really enjoy driving the spidey. whats the fun in driving it without getting stuck anywhere? on any terrain, its just as simple as driving on a highway and driver skills are not at all required .
Well, one way to look at it is that the Gypsy needs more tough trails. The existing ones are just tooooooo easy and child's play.
Old 9th September 2009, 11:09   #70
Sha
BHPian

Quote:
man, i doubt whether you really enjoy driving the spidey. whats the fun in driving it without getting stuck anywhere? on any terrain, its just as simple as driving on a highway and driver skills are not at all required .
A member has both vehicles and he can drive both also without any fuss, Last time you did not give your Jeep to me to drive in OTR but Gypsyer's has BIG HEART to give you.
Driving Gypsy is an art not in crawling mode.
Who was running after spidey it was you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaraka View Post
Gypsy folks are you listening? will hijack jeeps en-mass.
You know Sir he is already thinking of buying Gypsy and he has seen the performance of Gypsy in Slush.
next time will hijack.
Old 9th September 2009, 11:36   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sha View Post
but Gypsyer's has BIG HEART to give you.
Hahaha... Man if you guys told him not to take that Spidey, I am sure he would have been sitting & crying with his legs hitting like the child on the road.

He was like a kid in front of the toy shop and not in a position to choose which one to take
Old 9th September 2009, 11:58   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

At this place on day 1, both the jeeps had to be towed/pulled out as they were not able to even climb 50% of the slope here . I think it was the tyres that did both the jeeps in. The Michellin LTX became slick and the NDMS just don't move at all.

I must say that the NDMS tyres are pretty useless. While I used to think that they are good but recent observations have showed that they are useless - everywhere. Sreeraj, on day2, was going down diagonally on slopes just because of no grip by the NDMS tyres.

All the 3 Gypsy's came up like a charm -- even though star_aqua tried to get Shakir's gypsy stuck.

Special mention about siddu's 1.0L Gypsy that took 3 attempts to climb but did it in style

BTW, who has the video of that?
Old 9th September 2009, 12:00   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sha View Post
A member has both vehicles and he can drive both also without any fuss
He is a Jeeper! thats why he can drive both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sha;
Last time you did not give your Jeep to me to drive in OTR but Gypsyer's has BIG HEART to give you.
Driving Gypsy is an art not in crawling mode.
Don't tell me i did not give. At first place you did not ask me to give you even on road. And Khan was soo tired after driving continiously for two days, he offered the spidey for someone who can drive and it was me and Viji who were competing for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sha;
You know Sir he is already thinking of buying Gypsy and he has seen the performance of Gypsy in Slush.
next time will hijack.
Yes
Old 9th September 2009, 12:17   #74
BHPian

Old 9th September 2009, 12:20   #75
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
I must say that the NDMS tyres are pretty useless. While I used to think that they are good but recent observations have showed that they are useless - everywhere.
Shahnawaz the NDMS tyres work brilliantly in terrain where they need to grip hard soil. So they cut through loose soil and grip the harder surface underneath.

Perhaps in this kind of soft soil/slush/clay like terrain the issue was of needing flotation whereby the tyres don't sink in but stay afloat on the surface? Would you say that the depth of the soft soil was such that the NDMS were digging in and getting stuck? If so then they were just doing the job they were designed for

Most Viewed