Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2009, 07:36   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

SUV Trail-blazing

Inviting all SUV owners in NCR to try their hand at going off road on September 20th.

A soft off road trail blazing. Join in the fun of taking your SUV off the road. We will form a convoy and move together from start location to the trail. Moderate gradient and obstacles may not need 4x4 mode.

Confirm with show of hands and your vehicle details.

Lets come together and meet and plan for some more events later.

Level of difficulty : Low
Time : Half day

Essential equipment:
1. Tow rope/strap
2. Water / cold drink
3. Light snacks
4. Insect repellent (advisable)

Last edited by Dippy : 11th September 2009 at 14:21. Reason: Please check PM
Old 16th September 2009, 16:26   #2
Senior - BHPian

Hi Sudev Ji, Sure I would be interested, how long is the trail ? Do you have a GPS track for this trail that I can load onto my Garmin unit beforehand to bring on the 20th, you have my e mail address already.

Would you like to invite other offroaders from NIOC team as well ?

With best regards

Shahid
Old 16th September 2009, 16:37   #3
Team-BHP Support

Aha, finally an OTR for us wimps
Hopefully will not entail crazy rocks and thorny bushes. And hopefully it rains and creates slush!
Old 16th September 2009, 16:43   #4
BHPian

Badshahpur, Behrampur, Manesar these are the only tracks left for us to venture out these days in and around NCR. We did recce a few new tracks but the difficulty level is up there, with tracks yet to be cleared (read make your own road).

I think Badshahpur and the extension with the sanddunes (at a section) thrown in might be your best choice. There are some patches which would allow good speeds, and drifting possibilities for your adequately powdered SUV's.

Good luck and let us know how it went.
Old 16th September 2009, 17:01   #5
Senior - BHPian

I have always been a firm advocate of this kind of OTRs as well besides our thorny bushes, sand pits and rocks kind where it is a relaxed day out with family followed by a nice picnic.

There would be scores of SUV owners or even Pajero / Foretuner owners who would love to explore a bit of the countryside in their 2x4 vehicles. When the going gets tough, we will be there to help with static rescue or tow out vehicles in the odd stuck events.
Old 16th September 2009, 20:31   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

@dfox: Yes that is the idea. The trail is really not that long. I will try and collect GPS track in next couple of days. More details on the Facebook Group, which unfortunately moderators do not allow me to link.

@tsk: Yep wimps come together for a half day off roading. This is more of meet and shake hands outing. Intention is to gauge common interest and then go from there.

More SUV owners / lovers need to line up but all at NIOS are welcome as well (and also help us pull out the guys who do manage to get struck despite easy nature of trail)
;-)
Old 17th September 2009, 09:56   #7
Team-BHP Support

Keep the starting time a little sane, for example 8-9am ish. Waking up at 6am on a sunday morning is no fun.
We can probably hang out till lunch and then head back,
Old 17th September 2009, 10:15   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

@tsk: Wake up. The starting is at 9AM so...

I though we could have lunch together (with some coolers too!) at Sohana or somewhere there and discuss next plans. ;-)

Some people are wanting this on 27th as 28th is a holiday too!!

Picture from the Trail
SUV Trail-blazing-100_3223.jpg

Last edited by sudev : 17th September 2009 at 10:24.
Old 17th September 2009, 10:24   #9
Team-BHP Support

Okay, post the GPS coordinates for the starting location...?
Old 17th September 2009, 12:19   #10
Senior - BHPian

Post the GPS co-ordinates and the track by e mail. We will preload it through mapsource in our Garmin units and keep it ready.

What is the nature of the terrain ?

i.e. Graded tracks, dirt tracks, sand tracks, mud tracks, slush crossings, brick soled roads?
Old 18th September 2009, 12:24   #11
BHPian

No 4x4 means all can come - Esteems, Ikons?

Just teasing. Looking forward to it!
Old 19th September 2009, 06:42   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

@Desertfox - check your PM

I am doing final recce today and will post the tracks etc by evening. There may be some change in itinerary as there is a parallel cycling event happening around Ghata-Mangar area. This was one of the areas I thought to cover as part three of the outing. Now part three would have to be towards Sohna. Do you have any easy trails towards that side?

How many show of hands?

Sudev
Desertforx?
Rhandle?
Torque Active?

There are other from the FaceBook group. Seach for SUV Xplore as forum here does not allow me to post links here to that group
8-(
Old 19th September 2009, 15:58   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

The google-earth file and garmin file for the Trail Blazing is attached. Could not do the complete recce of the area around Badsahpur. AND no recce of the Sand Traps. Google-earth screen shots of the area are here:

The easy trail - this is relatively easy up and down. A two wheel drive can do it. We go up and come down the same way. Those who are interested can try comingd down on the eastern flank of the hill braving scrub and rocky paths.
SUV Trail-blazing-screenshot1.png

The difficult trail - this is one used by NIOC. First is a small path between farms, which can get slushy. We go up on a steep climb and then a steep down hill to return back to the start of climb.
SUV Trail-blazing-screenshot.png

The sand trap - This has been done by me a long time back and will need some checking. There are two paths and the path through Manger village is sure to work but the path direct from Gurgaon -Faridabad road is to be explored.
SUV Trail-blazing-screenshot2.png
Attached Files
File Type: gdb GPSdevice.gdb (19.2 KB, 541 views)
File Type: kmz GPS device.kmz (11.9 KB, 672 views)
Old 19th September 2009, 17:07   #14
BHPian

Hi Sudev,

It really a nice to to show the trail like this. Which GPS software you are using to get this output?
Old 19th September 2009, 17:21   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

The screen shots are from Google Earth. The trails were made in Garmin and / or NMEA formats and then I used GPSBable to convert the files to KML format that is used by Google Earth. GPSBable is a open source software utility for windows and linux.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks