Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2009, 18:46   #61
Senior - BHPian

@ Benny
Quote:
@Hari : Have you removed those caps from the alloys on your Safari, or did they fall off?
Yes, Benny, I had removed the plastic hub caps from all four wheels prior to the OTR as Hrishi had forewarned me that these are the most likely to get lost parts.
Nevertheless, I lost a cladding and the plastic cover in the rear bumper which is used to house the reverse camera.
Old 5th October 2009, 20:54   #62
BHPian

More pics

hey guys here are more pics. sorry no narration.. Just heard from my company I have to report to duty and will be off on the 7th to mumbai and then to join the ship.. so lots of work to finish before that. any fellow TBHPian is most welcome to write the narration. Just trying to post all the pics before i leave.

Cheers

Nishanth
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore - Chikkaballapur OTR (02nd Oct 2009) - The Unforgettable OTR.!!!-pa020343.jpg  

Bangalore - Chikkaballapur OTR (02nd Oct 2009) - The Unforgettable OTR.!!!-pa020344.jpg  

Bangalore - Chikkaballapur OTR (02nd Oct 2009) - The Unforgettable OTR.!!!-pa020345.jpg  

Bangalore - Chikkaballapur OTR (02nd Oct 2009) - The Unforgettable OTR.!!!-pa020355.jpg  

Bangalore - Chikkaballapur OTR (02nd Oct 2009) - The Unforgettable OTR.!!!-pa020356.jpg  

Bangalore - Chikkaballapur OTR (02nd Oct 2009) - The Unforgettable OTR.!!!-pa020357.jpg  

Bangalore - Chikkaballapur OTR (02nd Oct 2009) - The Unforgettable OTR.!!!-pa020360.jpg  

Bangalore - Chikkaballapur OTR (02nd Oct 2009) - The Unforgettable OTR.!!!-pa020361.jpg  

Bangalore - Chikkaballapur OTR (02nd Oct 2009) - The Unforgettable OTR.!!!-pa020362.jpg  

Bangalore - Chikkaballapur OTR (02nd Oct 2009) - The Unforgettable OTR.!!!-pa020363.jpg  

Bangalore - Chikkaballapur OTR (02nd Oct 2009) - The Unforgettable OTR.!!!-pa020364.jpg  

Bangalore - Chikkaballapur OTR (02nd Oct 2009) - The Unforgettable OTR.!!!-pa020365.jpg  

Bangalore - Chikkaballapur OTR (02nd Oct 2009) - The Unforgettable OTR.!!!-pa020366.jpg  

Bangalore - Chikkaballapur OTR (02nd Oct 2009) - The Unforgettable OTR.!!!-pa020368.jpg  

Bangalore - Chikkaballapur OTR (02nd Oct 2009) - The Unforgettable OTR.!!!-pa020369.jpg  

Bangalore - Chikkaballapur OTR (02nd Oct 2009) - The Unforgettable OTR.!!!-pa020371.jpg  

Bangalore - Chikkaballapur OTR (02nd Oct 2009) - The Unforgettable OTR.!!!-pa020372.jpg  

Bangalore - Chikkaballapur OTR (02nd Oct 2009) - The Unforgettable OTR.!!!-pa020374.jpg  

Bangalore - Chikkaballapur OTR (02nd Oct 2009) - The Unforgettable OTR.!!!-pa020375.jpg  

Attached Images

Last edited by hgnishanth : 5th October 2009 at 21:12.
Old 5th October 2009, 21:19   #63
BHPian

There were Three people - Siddu , Rajeev & my self,

I had already moved ahead walking after the stream crossing & was tracking the route to the ditch,

This trip was made after a year, & only the three jeepers had the exprience of this trail, Siddu, khan Saab & myself, The situation then was much better then, (Semi dry)

The vehciles used was a pajero & jeeps last time,

well coming back to the point what happened , is like this i was very clear to siddu , he had to walk the track see what the condition was of the mud, & this imp & i was very clear to him he will move with speed after getting down & will not stop or stall at the top, The idea was to avoid collecting mud on the tires & get the maximum grip with momentum,

The tires on the Sid's jeep are still the same when purchased & the size of the buttons have reduced too, this was one reason he had some difficutly to & also took some time to get out of the real slush ( keen depth) at the exit, every inch he moved forward was with twenty inch back finally he did come out, using nothing but momentum with correct gearing method.

Momentum is the key where required,

That's what i was trying to explain rajeev (Green Gypsy),

The other key for good performace is being part of otrs more often,

i knew the terain will have surpirses, & was ready for the worst, ( except the exit point)

well more interesting was that this is the first time all the jeepers stood with one another when required,

more over i did enjoy the company of Monish & his xenon,

let me add few more points the person at the wheels make all the difference & then the tool,

Monish's first exprience was when his xenon got stuck when trying to rescue the i10,

now at times it is a must that we push vehcile to the limit other wise how will one know it is performimg or not,

yes xenon is powerful & was able to perform no doubt about it, but the person at wheel makes the difference,

I even commented to someone that the THAR should be tested in this terrain, well if i get my hand on one,

well that's all for now,

regards
Vinay thomas
-------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I suspect he used momentum rather than torque, can someone confirm how he did it?
Old 5th October 2009, 21:25   #64
Senior - BHPian

@Shahnawaz you have got the fiber leaf spring in front also?

rehans scorpio is looking mean.
Old 5th October 2009, 21:40   #65
BHPian

Anyone missing a D-Shackle??

Just heard from mycousin Roshan, he found two extra D-Shackle with his tow rope. One I beleive belongs to Dwarak Sir, he will be contacting him about that, meanwhile the other shackle is still with him. Anyone missing a D-shackle can let me know and take it back!

Cheers

Nishanth
Old 5th October 2009, 21:49   #66
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)
No amount of water is enough in an OTR!

As we chug along, I am trying hard to keep my mind of my aching foot. I tried putting my shoes back on, but the leg was swollen so badly that I my shoes would no longer fit.

At that point, I am wondering if it would be a good idea to get back home. As my mind is processing these thoughts, I see this beautiful sight.
Bangalore - Chikkaballapur OTR (02nd Oct 2009) - The Unforgettable OTR.!!!-img_6898.jpg

Being the sucker that I am for good scenic spots, I forget about the pain and get my camera out. This is going to be so much fun I tell myself.
Bangalore - Chikkaballapur OTR (02nd Oct 2009) - The Unforgettable OTR.!!!-img_6901.jpg

Hrishi tries another stunt.
Bangalore - Chikkaballapur OTR (02nd Oct 2009) - The Unforgettable OTR.!!!-img_6903.jpg

The Xenon gets stuck at this point, we finally managed to tow it out thanks to Rehaan's Scorpio and follow the tracks left behind by the others.
Bangalore - Chikkaballapur OTR (02nd Oct 2009) - The Unforgettable OTR.!!!-img_6905.jpg

We all re-group...
Bangalore - Chikkaballapur OTR (02nd Oct 2009) - The Unforgettable OTR.!!!-img_6908.jpg

But then the guys with the real off roaders just decide to ditch us and go have their share of fun!
Bangalore - Chikkaballapur OTR (02nd Oct 2009) - The Unforgettable OTR.!!!-img_6915.jpg
Old 5th October 2009, 22:59   #67
BANNED

Some random stream crossing shots....

So the jeep is rescued out after it got stuck in the water.
Bangalore - Chikkaballapur OTR (02nd Oct 2009) - The Unforgettable OTR.!!!-img_6916.jpg

Hrishi crosses the stream with ease and starts to wonder how to tackle the boulders.
Bangalore - Chikkaballapur OTR (02nd Oct 2009) - The Unforgettable OTR.!!!-img_6917.jpg

Hari is not going to let Hrishi take all the honours, so he follows soon. In the excitement, he goes sideways and nearly into the water.
Bangalore - Chikkaballapur OTR (02nd Oct 2009) - The Unforgettable OTR.!!!-img_6922.jpg

Down she goes...
Name:  IMG_6924.JPG
Views: 1462
Size:  305.2 KB

Comes out of the shower with a few stuff missing on the back bumper .
Bangalore - Chikkaballapur OTR (02nd Oct 2009) - The Unforgettable OTR.!!!-img_6926.jpg

The Scorpio says, if the Tata's can do it sideways, I can do it waayy better.
Bangalore - Chikkaballapur OTR (02nd Oct 2009) - The Unforgettable OTR.!!!-img_6929.jpg

All of us safely cross the stream without any hassles at all. I am told, the trail is nearing its end.... And my pain resurfaces again...

Last edited by mclaren1885 : 5th October 2009 at 23:08.
Old 5th October 2009, 23:01   #68
BHPian

Hey guys here are the last set of pictures I have.

Rajesh Waving and posing..
Bangalore - Chikkaballapur OTR (02nd Oct 2009) - The Unforgettable OTR.!!!-pa020376.jpg

Hari's turn to cross the hurdle..
Bangalore - Chikkaballapur OTR (02nd Oct 2009) - The Unforgettable OTR.!!!-pa020378.jpg

Roshan Trying to make through the hurdle..
Bangalore - Chikkaballapur OTR (02nd Oct 2009) - The Unforgettable OTR.!!!-pa020380.jpg
Bangalore - Chikkaballapur OTR (02nd Oct 2009) - The Unforgettable OTR.!!!-pa020385.jpg
Bangalore - Chikkaballapur OTR (02nd Oct 2009) - The Unforgettable OTR.!!!-pa020387.jpg
Bangalore - Chikkaballapur OTR (02nd Oct 2009) - The Unforgettable OTR.!!!-pa020389.jpg

Its Shanawaz'z turn next..
Bangalore - Chikkaballapur OTR (02nd Oct 2009) - The Unforgettable OTR.!!!-pa020393.jpg
Bangalore - Chikkaballapur OTR (02nd Oct 2009) - The Unforgettable OTR.!!!-pa020394.jpg

Shanawaz checks out the front Carbon fibre leaf springs on his gypsy..
Bangalore - Chikkaballapur OTR (02nd Oct 2009) - The Unforgettable OTR.!!!-pa020397.jpg
Bangalore - Chikkaballapur OTR (02nd Oct 2009) - The Unforgettable OTR.!!!-pa020395.jpg
Bangalore - Chikkaballapur OTR (02nd Oct 2009) - The Unforgettable OTR.!!!-pa020398.jpg
Bangalore - Chikkaballapur OTR (02nd Oct 2009) - The Unforgettable OTR.!!!-pa020400.jpg
Bangalore - Chikkaballapur OTR (02nd Oct 2009) - The Unforgettable OTR.!!!-pa020401.jpg

Regrouping before the last and the worst hurdle..
Bangalore - Chikkaballapur OTR (02nd Oct 2009) - The Unforgettable OTR.!!!-pa020403.jpg

Hrishi tries to makeit next and gets stuck. for almost 2 hrs.. Finallly he was pulled out by Xenon and the MM540 together with a 'V' tow. By the time this was over it was dark and raining. You can make out how dark it was in one of the photos which was taken without flash!
I remember rajesh telling us during breakfast "We should do some night OTR's"!! Well Rajesh looks like your wish came true.. that's why they say beware what you wish for , it might just come true!
Bangalore - Chikkaballapur OTR (02nd Oct 2009) - The Unforgettable OTR.!!!-pa020404.jpg
Bangalore - Chikkaballapur OTR (02nd Oct 2009) - The Unforgettable OTR.!!!-pa020405.jpg
Bangalore - Chikkaballapur OTR (02nd Oct 2009) - The Unforgettable OTR.!!!-pa020406.jpg
Bangalore - Chikkaballapur OTR (02nd Oct 2009) - The Unforgettable OTR.!!!-pa020407.jpg
Bangalore - Chikkaballapur OTR (02nd Oct 2009) - The Unforgettable OTR.!!!-pa020408.jpg
Bangalore - Chikkaballapur OTR (02nd Oct 2009) - The Unforgettable OTR.!!!-pa020410.jpg
Bangalore - Chikkaballapur OTR (02nd Oct 2009) - The Unforgettable OTR.!!!-pa020411.jpg
Bangalore - Chikkaballapur OTR (02nd Oct 2009) - The Unforgettable OTR.!!!-pa020412.jpg

By this time my camera battery ran out and I coun t take any more pics!! But still we hadent come to the bestpart of the OTR. After this we had to cross two fields which were filled with clay/slush. i think each and everyone got stuckbut all somehow managed to get out except for rehan which was due to the failed clutch.

Will be uploading Quite a few videos later..

Cheers

Nishanth
Old 5th October 2009, 23:12   #69
BHPian

here are the Videos..

Hey here are the first set of videos..

1.Shanawaz's attemt at the1st big hurdle.. sorry the 2nd video i have by mistake taken in portrait mode. so got to turn/tilt your head a bit..

2.Its hari's turn next.. andfinishes it with a big jump..

cheers

Nishanth
Old 5th October 2009, 23:21   #70
Senior - BHPian

Scorpio clutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgnishanth View Post
Hey guys here are the last set of pictures I have.

By this time my camera battery ran out and I coun t take any more pics!! But still we hadent come to the bestpart of the OTR. After this we had to cross two fields which were filled with clay/slush. i think each and everyone got stuckbut all somehow managed to get out except for rehan which was due to the failed clutch.

Will be uploading Quite a few videos later..

Cheers

Nishanth
Woow wonderful terrain, nice pics and even nicer narration

So, Rehan could not make it through the slush due to burnt clutch!! hmnnn, Scorpio's had this problem of premature clutch failure, didnt know it persists even today. The problem is due to sensor which engages the clutch even when you keep your little finger on it, then it means that you are riding clutch and clutch fails. This problem is further componded with people having a habit of resting their leg on clutch, hence the clutch is half engaged! It is a golden rule in any vehicle that you must take your foot off the clutch completely and this golden rule becomes a platinum one in off road conditions! Any way Rehan must have learnt this by now. Scorpio clutch must be inspected immediately when it becomes hard or RPM starts rising without vehicle momentum, else it just gives way without a clue.

Me waiting for pics and video's which made you guys burn mignight oil, keep them coming!
Old 5th October 2009, 23:57   #71
BANNED

The beginning of the nightmares!

So we all safely crossed the stream without a hitch.
Bangalore - Chikkaballapur OTR (02nd Oct 2009) - The Unforgettable OTR.!!!-img_6934.jpg

We regroup and are informed that we are nearing the end.
Name:  IMG_6938.JPG
Views: 1430
Size:  391.9 KB

But there is a surprise in store for all of us. The consistent downpour has increased the water level since the last time these guys came here. So we had to get the stick out to measure the depth of the water, if it was too deep I am sure the only way would have been to go back the way we came. And that would be nearly impossible. So this was the only way to get out of this jungle.
Bangalore - Chikkaballapur OTR (02nd Oct 2009) - The Unforgettable OTR.!!!-img_6940.jpg

Scape goat Siddhu, says fear not when I am here and wades through...
Bangalore - Chikkaballapur OTR (02nd Oct 2009) - The Unforgettable OTR.!!!-img_6942.jpg

Soon everyone follows...
Bangalore - Chikkaballapur OTR (02nd Oct 2009) - The Unforgettable OTR.!!!-img_6945.jpg

We are told that this is the last hurdle before we get onto the highway. Time is around 4ish now.
Bangalore - Chikkaballapur OTR (02nd Oct 2009) - The Unforgettable OTR.!!!-img_6949.jpg

Hari takes a dive into the final ditch...
Bangalore - Chikkaballapur OTR (02nd Oct 2009) - The Unforgettable OTR.!!!-img_6953.jpg

Siddhu is all ecstatic that he will finally get to go repair his RS from all the money he has made off us.
Bangalore - Chikkaballapur OTR (02nd Oct 2009) - The Unforgettable OTR.!!!-img_6954.jpg

He even has the nerve to make monkey faces at us and tell us he conned us . Though me thinks this is the perfect pic for his shaadi.com profile.
Bangalore - Chikkaballapur OTR (02nd Oct 2009) - The Unforgettable OTR.!!!-img_6955.jpg

In the meantime Hari manages to climb out easily.
Bangalore - Chikkaballapur OTR (02nd Oct 2009) - The Unforgettable OTR.!!!-img_6957.jpg

At this point my leg is swollen to the size of a mini elephant. I figured there were atleast 5-6 cars that had to cross this point and the road was just 200 mtrs away from here. So I decided to catch up on some well needed sleep. I don't remember how long I dozed off though....
Old 6th October 2009, 09:53   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
Woow wonderful terrain, nice pics and even nicer narration

So, Rehan could not make it through the slush due to burnt clutch!! hmnnn, Scorpio's had this problem of premature clutch failure, didnt know it persists even today. The problem is due to sensor which engages the clutch even when you keep your little finger on it, then it means that you are riding clutch and clutch fails. This problem is further componded with people having a habit of resting their leg on clutch, hence the clutch is half engaged! It is a golden rule in any vehicle that you must take your foot off the clutch completely and this golden rule becomes a platinum one in off road conditions! Any way Rehan must have learnt this by now. Scorpio clutch must be inspected immediately when it becomes hard or RPM starts rising without vehicle momentum, else it just gives way without a clue.
The scorpio was a real wonder to watch, it would make it through any where as easily as the gypsy's or the jeeps went, but then it was when Rehan tried to climb an embankment towards the end in the slush and got stuck bad and he tried the move back and forth to come out, that's where all the damage was done as he had been doing the whole OTR in 4H and his 4L was not engaging at all, so he had no choice to gun it all the time and it was when he was stuck the he gunned it and one could see smoke and smell the clutch, then when I was pulling him out it was just my truck pulling and there was no effort from the scorpio.

Here is a video of the Xenon crossing I clicked on my phone, driven by Vinay aka CJ3b

Another one of Hari's safari and the jeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
Me waiting for pics and video's which made you guys burn mignight oil, keep them coming!
Vinod, I don't think any of us have and videos or pics of the in the night as we were busy searching a alt route, pulling stuck vehicles or pushing them. or we were just too tired and wanted to rest our poor souls, which had worked over time, and it was also pouring in packs to really pull a cam out and click pics.

Last edited by memo45_m : 6th October 2009 at 10:04.
Old 6th October 2009, 11:41   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaraka View Post
mine is isuzu 1800 cc engine. eeto find right mechanic to work on.
Dwarak,,try Mr dale Hunter -9448093623,iam sure he can fix this issues..

Raj
Old 6th October 2009, 11:43   #74
BHPian

The one which is shaped in U & silver in color belongs to Monish
------------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by hgnishanth View Post
Just heard from mycousin Roshan, he found two extra D-Shackle with his tow rope. One I beleive belongs to Dwarak Sir, he will be contacting him about that, meanwhile the other shackle is still with him. Anyone missing a D-shackle can let me know and take it back!

Cheers

Nishanth
Old 6th October 2009, 11:49   #75
Senior - BHPian

Hope you all enjoyed , awsome snaps

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks