Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2009, 15:42   #121
BHPian

Omg

Excellent pics, even better reports.
I cant help but whip myself for having spent 4 years in CBPur (those best days of our lives) and not been to that location.

I would give an arm, a leg, an eye etc etc etc to join the next one.
However, unfortunately, I am not blessed with a 4WD steed.
Will I be still eligible for the next OTR?
Old 7th October 2009, 16:25   #122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
Hi Guys,

Seems like you all had a blast. A bit more planning would have helped.

A few suggestions

1) When attempting to pull a vehicle in soft (Sand/Slush/Mud) surface always use 2 vehicle in a V-Pull (tied down at 2 different points on the Chassis). It saves time and quickly bears maximum effort in the recovery.

2) Cable Damper/Mats/Canvas Sheets. - Will dampen the cable if it get cut and prevent injuries to bystanders; the chances of accidents increase.
Didn't notice any in the pics.

3) A diagonal pull helps, in bearing the weight of both the vehicles of the rear axle, and the stuck vehicle get some traction, also if the vehicle is bottomed out, this is the easiest solution. This was amply demonstrated in TPC09, when Sean Hameed in a MG413W pulled out Baskar Keshavalu's MM540.

4) Carry adequate food and water per head.
What happened to full-length trousers and sport shoes? are they not a mandatory part of the ensemble?

Regards,

Arka

PS - The 4WD Scorpio, keeps burning up his clutch with or with-out 4WD-Lo, since MGE48 in Munnar.
Arka,

V pull and diagonal pull was tried initially when single vehicle pull could not. Because of the slush on all sides, the wheels were spinning of pulling vehicles and hence, we tried the two vehicle one towing other as we got hard ground ahead. It worked out in the end. What we were pulling was safari which was struck in clayish mud till half its tyre height.

As for dampening the tow rope, You would notice, we used nylon ropes not regular wire ropes. Do we need to dampen the nylon rope too.

As for the snack and water, every one is responsible for their well being. We only advice the group to carry sufficient food, snacks and water.

Long time since, we had you on Bangalore OTR buddy. Plan one trip and back hand we will organise an OTR nearby.
Old 7th October 2009, 16:48   #123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqualeo2040 View Post
... I would give an arm, a leg, an eye etc etc etc to join the next one.
However, unfortunately, I am not blessed with a 4WD steed.
Will I be still eligible for the next OTR?
I do not think anyone would appreciate the body parts as remuneration!

But, with the ever increasing OTR tribe here, I am sure you will find a seat in one of the vehicles.
Old 7th October 2009, 17:25   #124
Team-BHP Support

@dwarka, though I am not an expert, but from what I heave heard from NIOC and Jeepthrills guys, all tow cables., whether wire or nylon etc., need to be damped, as a break can lead to serious damage and injury without damping.
I guess arka will elaborate.

Regarding SUVs in OTR, I think in such terrains, SUVs delay the whole group. Its not about who is better in slush etc., but overhangs and long wheelbase.

In India I have seen that terrains favour smaller vehicles. Nothing to do with Jeep/SUV here.
Since most of us have Long Wheelbase SUVs, probably flat sands and non rocky terrains are best.

Coming to scorpio bit, I thought scorpio had 4WD low ratio. Was it busted in this particular vehicle? I have attented couple of OTRs where scorpio was there, and it was easier for the scorpio due to shorter overhangs, and better turning circle.
Old 7th October 2009, 18:06   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
@dwarka, though I am not an expert, but from what I heave heard from NIOC and Jeepthrills guys, all tow cables., whether wire or nylon etc., need to be damped, as a break can lead to serious damage and injury without damping.
I guess arka will elaborate.

Regarding SUVs in OTR, I think in such terrains, SUVs delay the whole group. Its not about who is better in slush etc., but overhangs and long wheelbase.

In India I have seen that terrains favour smaller vehicles. Nothing to do with Jeep/SUV here.
Since most of us have Long Wheelbase SUVs, probably flat sands and non rocky terrains are best.

Coming to scorpio bit, I thought scorpio had 4WD low ratio. Was it busted in this particular vehicle? I have attented couple of OTRs where scorpio was there, and it was easier for the scorpio due to shorter overhangs, and better turning circle.

Tanveer,

Thank you for your thoughts.

Rehaan's Scorpio was having problem in 4L before OTR. He had done the OTR on 4 H and could do because of his foot - Maxxis Mudzilla and traction he could build. He has advantageous position with around 3 inches nylon bushes for body lift.
Old 7th October 2009, 21:06   #126
Senior - BHPian

Would a winched vehicle like Suresh's or swastik's (thippagond?) have speed'nd the Hrishi and Rehaan's recovery?

***** to the writeup skills
***** to the location and pics
***** to the team spirit

5* to the Thread.

--I am sad to have missed a challenging OTR after my 1st one @ Thippa Since I went on a different OTR of my own... Read - Indigo thru Andhra Floods.
Old 7th October 2009, 21:22   #127
Senior - BHPian

Guys this is seriously going OT. Nice thread, lets keep it that way.
Old 7th October 2009, 22:35   #128
BANNED

All of us need to applaud the way these guys toiled hard on these treacherous trial, starving, getting soaked in rains, loosing sleep and lots more.

Wonderful narration and a great OTR, Congratulations to all you guys who were present there.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 9th October 2009 at 14:54. Reason: a bit of cleanup..
Old 8th October 2009, 02:25   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I suspect he used momentum rather than torque, can someone confirm how he did it?

1> I am more inclined to think that the first vehicle on the trail also benefits from maximum resistance from the terrain.
2> Have seen it on more occasions than one.
3>The driver's skill of course would have to be creditable.
4> So no taking away from Siddu on this one.
Cheers
Jammy
Old 8th October 2009, 08:00   #130
Team-BHP Support

Jammy, nobody is taking away credit from Siddu. We all know he is an excellent offroad driver who takes the maximum performance out of his MG410. I raised the question because it was implied that he used torque to easily climb that tricky hill while Shahnawaz struggled using the same technique. Dwarak/Vinay who were there have already confirmed he used momentum. So it is resolved.
Old 8th October 2009, 10:19   #131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaraka View Post
Arka,

V pull and diagonal pull was tried initially when single vehicle pull could not. Because of the slush on all sides, the wheels were spinning of pulling vehicles and hence, we tried the two vehicle one towing other as we got hard ground ahead. It worked out in the end. What we were pulling was safari which was struck in clayish mud till half its tyre height.

As for dampening the tow rope, You would notice, we used nylon ropes not regular wire ropes. Do we need to dampen the nylon rope too.

As for the snack and water, every one is responsible for their well being. We only advice the group to carry sufficient food, snacks and water.

Long time since, we had you on Bangalore OTR buddy. Plan one trip and back hand we will organise an OTR nearby.
Hi Dwarka,

I'll answer in points.

1) If the V-Pull/Diagonal pull didn't work efficiently Its an Indication -- WINCH!!!!!!

2) If the Nylon Cables have Clevis Hooks or D-Shackles then a Damper is absolutely necessary

3) If everyone is responsible for their own well-being, what the use of having experience and sharing it.

4) Lets do a joint OTR in November-December.

Regards,

Arka
Old 8th October 2009, 10:22   #132
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post

4) Lets do a joint OTR in November-December.
That would be great. Hey, but not in Jawadu hills PLEASEEEEEE..
Old 8th October 2009, 10:27   #133
Team-BHP Support

Arka: Unfortunately no winch was available and at that situation this was the only option according to my understanding.

Point 2) i agree, coz i have seen cables snap, not winch cables, BUT they do get into Tandav mode when they snap, saw it rip through concrete in a construction site.
Old 8th October 2009, 10:35   #134
Senior - BHPian

To Jawadhu or not to Jawadhu

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
That would be great. Hey, but not in Jawadu hills PLEASEEEEEE..
Hi Shahnawaz,

I was hoping you wanted to see Asia's largest telescope.

FYI the Jawadhu Hills Range has some superb OTR spots, but will take some time (Years) to recce.

The plan is for Salem (5000 acre Mine) or Yercaud.

Regards,

Arka
Old 8th October 2009, 10:38   #135
Senior - BHPian

A joint OTR.

This is going to be something, and I wouldn't miss it for anything.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks