Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th November 2009, 13:16   #31
Senior - BHPian

that was one great offroading you had.
Old 9th November 2009, 13:21   #32
BANNED

I got goose bumps just by viewing the pics. Congrats. Nice to see the tricolour too.
Old 9th November 2009, 14:31   #33
BHPian

Great to see Jeep Thrills and Ignite stickers beyond our shores.. Way to go guys.. you made us proud.
Old 9th November 2009, 18:18   #34
Senior - BHPian

Perspective on Indian 4WD

Quote:
Originally Posted by flanker.r View Post
We also realized that our MM 540, CJ3B and gypsy were excellent vehicles after all. Maybe we will do the Taprobana challenge next year in a MM550 on which I am working in my workshop right now. Again nothing fancy, just blue print the engine, maybe turbo-charge it and we’ll see how it fares. People who are learning off roading on Mahindras and Gypsys- this is the way to go. These are very capable machines and it was only because we had ground our axe on these machines that we were appreciated on numerous occasions about our skills. As our dear ‘Old fox’ said, ‘Technology has replaced skills in our drivers and it is so refreshing to see you guys show our top drivers what skill is all about’. Dare I say that I was even telling Sanjay that obstacles that Land cruisers and Land Rovers were struggling I thought my petrol 3B could clear and he nodded in agreement.
Hi Raghav,

Nice write-up and good to have experienced off-roaders amongst us.

Since you have seen both Indian and Foreign 4WDs and worked on quite a few of them.

Could you please elaborate on what makes the M&M series and MG410 series, excellent off-roaders, do our vehicles have any advantage if any, other than serving as good training platforms.

Regards,

Arka

PS - I would like Sean Hameed to also add his valuable comments.
Old 10th November 2009, 08:54   #35
BHPian

Great Report, I did not know that you guys had such a good time. Thank you for proving my theory right.

The Key fetures of a Gypsey & MM540 is that they are light, and have rigid axles. The MM540 final drive I heard was 5.29, and the Gypsey is about 950 Kg.

My competion cruiser has about 190 horses, but most of it is wasted to carry the 1900kg of the vehicle. Power to weight is the bottomline.

The Unimog has a 1.7 litre diesel doing all the hard work, does not rev past 3000, so end of the day how you put the torque down to the ground.

When a vehicle is light a normal warn 8274 can pull through with ease, where we are heavy, and the guys are spoilt with twin motor giglepin conversion to pull the weight.

A modification must be carried out when the vehicle limits the driver's ability, and the modification must be concentrated on enhancing that particular limitation, then the man an machine is in syc.

Most guys build their off road machines looking at others or in 4x4 magazines. Everytime they perform less than par they blame the machine, and change the specs or further upgrade. Always a hardware upgrade and never think it is a software problem.

So the MM540 and the Gypsey is a good base vehicle to modify, The MM540 I would like to play around with the diesel pump a bit, run a bit advance and turbo charge it for more response. Gypsey, I would like to see whether we can get the swift EFI engine in, responds better and can seal better for water crossings. Both I would take the leaf spring suspension out and convert to coil. If the articulation is good you will not need a diff lock. A 8274 Warn in the front, these machines will be in Par with the So called monsters that you see here competing.

The basics of off roading, If you can't walk it you can't drive it, all the rest of the modifications are mostly for intimidation of fellow competitors.

Cheers
Old 10th November 2009, 16:12   #36
octaneoverdose

It's a mantra. Chant it.

IF YOU CAN'T WALK IN IT, YOU CAN"T DRIVE IN IT. IF YOU CAN'T WALK IN IT, YOU CAN"T DRIVE IN IT. IF YOU CAN'T WALK IN IT, YOU CAN"T DRIVE IN IT. IF YOU CAN'T WALK IN IT, YOU CAN"T DRIVE IN IT. IF YOU CAN'T WALK IN IT, YOU CAN"T DRIVE IN IT.

Old 10th November 2009, 22:36   #37
Senior - BHPian

GOSHhh!! Is that a Gypsy inside this deadly offroader?? Took this pic from the main event site 4x4.lk

Taprobana 4x4 Challenge 2009-20090922day4005.jpg
Old 11th November 2009, 14:01   #38

The MM and gypsy are excellent platforms for even international events. Their off road credentials, chassis design and specifications, standardization as per accepted international design practices, affordable parts and adherence to metric system makes them ideal. Also, the simplicity of design and non-conformance to pretentious add ons like power windows, unnecessary electronics makes them inherently more reliable than other international vehicles that people think have superior off road ability.

Easy availability of spares, engine, transmission and drive-train design that has withstood the test of time and serviceability on the field add on to its virtues of giving the bigger boys a run for both money and performance

It is a common misconception that these vehicles are unreliable. They seem to have earned this name only because of the unknown history of the maintenance carried out on these machines and too much ‘band-aid’ solutions that have gone into them by previous owners and mechanics. A proper blue printed machine would definitely not have the unreliability factor plaguing it. I have seen Landcruisers and Patrols with M-seal at various points, wrongly timed FIPs, relays bypassed, fuses made direct, wire harnesses cut, taped, cut again and taped and these exhibit the same level of unreliability as the MMs and gypsy’s we tend to call as unreliable. Also in India, jeeps are quite often worked by the same people who work on LCV and low tech garages with crude equipment. This adds on to the bad image they seem to have earned. I strongly feel it is a scenario where ‘Cause’ and ‘Effect’ have been reversed.

MM AND THE GYPSY ARE NOT UNREALIABLE AS PEOPLE THINK THEY ARE (notice the absence of ‘as’ in the sentence)

As Sean has already mentioned and I strongly agree, power to weight is the key and the MM and Gypsys excel in these. With a good winch like a Warn 8275 these can clear obstacles much faster while also extending the life of the winches themselves and making them work a lot faster compared to the competition shaving vital minutes in SSs. Turbocharging the MM and coils for the Gypsy would be a great idea. Sean I am with you in this and work in already in progress with regard to exploring retrofitting parts which are readily available in the international market off the shelf for these vehicles.

Regards
Raghav

Last edited by flanker.r : 11th November 2009 at 14:15. Reason: formatting
Old 11th November 2009, 22:28   #39
Senior - BHPian

I tend to agree that our vehicles excel by their simplicity in design.

I've seen examples of excellent as well as roughed up MMs and Gypsies and more often it has to do with the bad lineage of the vehicle than the vehicle itself..

Last edited by headers : 11th November 2009 at 22:36.
Old 13th November 2009, 17:19   #40
Senior - BHPian

Adventures Across the Borders ET 13/11/2009

Hi Guys,

Sanjay David & Raghav in today's Economic Times Chennai edition.

Regards,

Arka
Attached Thumbnails
Taprobana 4x4 Challenge 2009-091113-et-taprobana-4x4.jpg  

Old 13th November 2009, 17:56   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

what is a 180 degree slope as mentioned in the opening line? Am i missing something here or is it Friday evening syndrome for me.!!
Old 14th November 2009, 18:23   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
what is a 180 degree slope as mentioned in the opening line? Am i missing something here or is it Friday evening syndrome for me.!!

You got to meet they guys KS. It was a wonderful experience i believe!!
Old 14th November 2009, 18:29   #43
Team-BHP Support

The opening line of the article asks us to imagine a 180 degree slope. I can't imagine it either, what does that mean?
Old 14th November 2009, 20:21   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
The opening line of the article asks us to imagine a 180 degree slope. I can't imagine it either, what does that mean?
A 180 degree slope is a straight line!!

Guys: Ignore the opening press lines and look at the content of the event. And what is amazing is that our boys did the event with the minimal of fantasy equipment!
Old 14th November 2009, 22:34   #45
Senior - BHPian

ROFL! So the question of 180 was asked!

Lets go with Headers suggestion - Please blank out the first sentence in the report, people. Mark it under reporters-blunder!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks