Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th November 2009, 10:01   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prithvi View Post
Great to know you are having a blast with the Gypsy. Just did some off roading in the Defender yesterday.
So where are the pictures! - get the car down to Pune and we can go somewhere together. Having driven it, if I were to do that, I think I would need a couple of days to recover from driving it to Pune though!
The great thing about the Gypsy is that as soon as I was on the e way, I was cruising peacefully at 100 as well - and I was able to sit in the left most lane, that most of the traffic seems to shun.

Last edited by Sawyer : 16th November 2009 at 10:02.
Old 16th November 2009, 12:00   #17
Senior - BHPian

Sawyer/Satan,

Kudos to you on first OTR. As khan_sultan mentioned, do not avoid rocks, go over. Else you can get struck at differentials.

Also, I do not think you had any recovery gears with you. Always carry tow rope and D-shackles. It will help in the event of badly struck situations. The climb where Satan was sideways needs momemtum and going on the walls of the tracks.
Old 16th November 2009, 14:35   #18
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Hahaha, finally got your 4x4 down & dirty, eh? Fantastic pictures, the two white Gypsies look super-cool offroading in convoy. Smart move in going along with an experienced offroader (Satan). Bet you filled up a bag of tricks by the end of the day.

What did you like & not like about the Gypsy in offroad terrain? First impressions?

Quote:
I realized that it was the suspension articulation that led me to think that
Classic!

Quote:
though I got my rear number plate bent, and grounded the chassis a couple of times, but I was slow and it touched down into soft earth, so it was ok.
This is part of the running in, Sawyer! Just what the Gypsy was built for.

I may have missed the part, but where did the Scorpio come out from?
Old 16th November 2009, 16:01   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Hahaha, finally got your 4x4 down & dirty, eh? Fantastic pictures, the two white Gypsies look super-cool offroading in convoy. Smart move in going along with an experienced offroader (Satan). Bet you filled up a bag of tricks by the end of the day.

What did you like & not like about the Gypsy in offroad terrain? First impressions?

I may have missed the part, but where did the Scorpio come out from?
The Scorpio wasn't there earlier and we did not pass it either, so I am not sure where it sprung out of, maybe it was there for the water!
More than any new tricks, I guess the lines followed by Satan were a big help. Plus seeing him go where I otherwise would have had lots of thoughts about, particularly when I got stuck, into the start of the rocky climb and started burning clutch plate because I was doing it wrong. So I'd say the learning was where the car can go and that it pulls fairly well in low range at low road speeds with zero clutch slip.
First impressions?
Likes - that I can take it off road and not worry too much about dings and bends and what not, as long as nothing functional gets damaged. Most important of the likes, to be honest, that allows me to draw up this list!
Narrow, so it can get into the smallest of gaps in the foliage or the road.
Easy to know where each of the 4 wheels are at any time.
Decent gear box shifting.
For a petrol, that it can crawl at low speeds in low range and pull itself over rocks or in slush, without clutch slip.
Off set diffs that allow for more clearance on the left side of the car.
Steering wheel does not go into the left right back and forth dance on the trails.
Light car that rides the top of the ruts without collapsing them, or getting off them into the rut.
Good on road speed that allows to get to and back from the OTR part reasonably quickly.
Dislikes:
Feeling like a monkey in a cage being bounced around on the tricky parts and making sure that as you do, the foot still stays planted on the pedals required. Rear CFLs will fix some of that, but not all I am certain.
Front seats.
Turning circle is pathetic for the size of the car.
Can't get down as slow and low as a diesel and still pull - but that is an engine thing, so no real complaints.
Dog leg action for the transfer case to move from 2H to 4L. Needs getting used to, I guess.
No visible indicator for being in low range on the dash, and sometimes balky range shifter - not as slick as the gearbox.
Rough road ride on the better parts of the trail is pathetic, of course.
Seat belts that choke, so best not used in the dirt.
Rear overhang, I can see the rear plate will have to be moved up and the holder removed.
That covers the main things, I guess.

Last edited by Sawyer : 16th November 2009 at 16:13.
Old 16th November 2009, 19:49   #20
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
started burning clutch plate because I was doing it wrong. So I'd say the learning was where the car can go and that it pulls fairly well in low range at low road speeds with zero clutch slip.
If I may, a bit of advice : Whenever in doubt, use 2nd low .

Quote:
Likes - that I can take it off road and not worry too much about dings and bends and what not, as long as nothing functional gets damaged.
Well said. The beauty of a Gypsy is in its simplicity & reliability. Don't have to worry about 50,000 rupee doors (as you would in a more expensive SUV!).

Quote:
Easy to know where each of the 4 wheels are at any time.
Take your doors off the next time. Believe me, being able to pop your head out and see exactly where your tyre is planted is a HUGE advantage.

Quote:
Light car that rides the top of the ruts without collapsing them, or getting off them into the rut.
It's a mountain goat!

Quote:
Rear overhang, I can see the rear plate will have to be moved up and the holder removed.
Or you can just chop a part of the rear overhang off (as many of our Gypsy owners have done).

Great to see you enjoying the Gypsy the way it was meant to, Sawyer.
Old 16th November 2009, 20:12   #21
Senior - BHPian

Appreciate the inputs, GTO, I found that the car does do better in second in 4H as well, in first it tends to be very susceptible to transmission back lash, sensitive to throttle pedal movement, and consequent jerking back/forth. First, I find, works for getting going, and of course pedal to metal full on attacks, where the pedal is in just one position. But I take the when in doubt advice very well for the future.
I remember someone here express some concerns about the petrol tank getting to be first in the line of fire if the rear is chopped off, so I am not sure that I want to do that.
And I shall remember to take the doors off and get slapped around by the foliage!!
Old 18th November 2009, 09:17   #22
Senior - BHPian

After a couple of weeks of just gypsying around, here is another like I discovered about it when I drove the Spark into the busier parts of Pune. It allows for the virtues of the Spark to come through and be appreciated even more, in terms of the sheer comfort, ride and effortless driving it offers in that environment. On the Rajmachi route, it would probably have beached itself, but in an inner city environment, the Gypsy tells you about what a brilliant package the little car is! For two, with city traffic environment to deal with, it is a very good package, even above its price point. At it, I think it is the best by far. Puts a smile on my face every time I use it.
Old 18th November 2009, 09:31   #23
Senior - BHPian

Does the Gypsy have sway bars?
Old 18th November 2009, 09:46   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Does the Gypsy have sway bars?
Yes it does. Without it, it sways like a boat on the highway
Old 18th November 2009, 10:30   #25
Team-BHP Support

Excellent! The Gypsy has been initiated into the world of OTR's! Beautiful location also, you guys are real lucky to have these places in close proximity.

Go easy on the clutch since that is the weak link in Gypsy, maybe opt for a heavy duty one when you are ready for replacement.
Old 18th November 2009, 10:44   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Go easy on the clutch since that is the weak link in Gypsy, maybe opt for a heavy duty one when you are ready for replacement.
I agree, I can get it to smell in about ten seconds! How does one go about getting a heavy duty one?
Old 18th November 2009, 10:55   #27
Sha
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
I agree, I can get it to smell in about ten seconds! How does one go about getting a heavy duty one?
You do not require heavy duty clutch for Gypsy MPFI only driving style has to be changed. In Gypsy clutch get burned only in rock crawling time other terrains No. In MPFI 1st low release the clutch immediately and presss full accelerator it takes about 1 sec to get full torque once you get the torque release(or control) the accelerator pedal according to the terrain speed.
Old 19th November 2009, 00:41   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
Yes it does. Without it, it sways like a boat on the highway
Khan have you tried disconnecting it when going OTR. The Wrangler provides some kind of quick disconnect.
Old 19th November 2009, 09:08   #29
BHPian

nice visual narrative

I think we have another Samurai on our hands.
Damn!!The resemblance is uncanny!!
Old 19th November 2009, 09:19   #30
Senior - BHPian

I will take that as a compliment!! And for checking out some fun that he and I had with each other, check out some posts on the center differential subject a couple of months ago.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks