Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th November 2009, 10:21   #76
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandan View Post
The first one to come down the rocks was Khan_Sultan,an experinced offroader.The second one was Rajacchu,a novice,I presume.He not only had his heart in the mouth but a pair of of something else too .After coming down,he said he was so scared that he had plans to hit a tree,if everything else failed !!!!!
Hi Chandan,

you are 100% correct iam a newbie in this business .when i got into this slope itself knew iam in a wrong angle and not able to move the vehicle in reverse.but i was ok.but once i came down and you said this is not for an OTR trail but only trekking is possible,man,now whatever you mentioned all are correct.

Raj
Old 18th November 2009, 12:53   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandan View Post
Rajacchu,a novice,I presume.He not only had his heart in the mouth !!!
Hi Chandan,
Rajjachu is a newbie in Team BHP not In OTR, You Know one thing he always worried about Rear over hang of His Gypsy,He Has Stock Of Rear Bumpers with Him,
Old 18th November 2009, 13:07   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baburajs View Post

After the bath we moved to next place through a dip witha left turn , crossed a stream and then had the NIMBOOZ break .

Contd....

I was quite back in the convoy and didnt understand why we had stopped on a very norma(by off roading standards) terrain . Got down from the Jeep and came forward . Thats when I see a big ICE BOX being unloaded from the godzilla.Even though the weather was good, people were quite sapped after the incidents and the sight of Nimbooz stacked in ice in the box led to a collective gasp. Soon every one was gulping down the cool lime juice and some were having their sutta break. It was funny to see people opening the Bonnet of jeeps not for looking at the radiator but to heat the bottle as the drink was solidified. So much of ingenuity being a jeeper!!!! :-) .

Soon after that the convoy moved and what the heck again it got stuck in a very short while. I wondered who has taken what out from where now. Sat in the Jeep for some time and heard some swearing and loud sounds from front. Got down again and checked out what the commotion is . My first reaction was . What the ****!!! . Guys it was really scary out there. See it for yourselves.

Bangalore OTR - chikkaballapur 14-15 Nov report.-avalkonda99.jpg

Bangalore OTR - chikkaballapur 14-15 Nov report.-img_1873.jpg

Bangalore OTR - chikkaballapur 14-15 Nov report.-img_1874.jpg

The photos dont do any kind of justice here. This was a sucker of a dip and a right turn with a dangerous incline towards the right. On the left was thorn bushes & a rock that was slanting towards the right and on the right was loose rocks and a tree. The trail was very narrow and dangerous for MBW and LBW vehicles. Most vehicles didnt have the leeway to manouvere . The only way to come out of it unscathed was to go to the extreme left and then do a complete right turn. One branch of the tree which was blocking the way was cut to have way. But the problem was that most of the vehicles when going towards the left slid through the incline to the right towards the tree. It was dangerous and normally drivers dont have control if their back slides . One by one vehicles wriggled out of this hole with lot of skill and accurate spotting . All the MBWs and LBWs struggled here and the SBWs had a relatively easy (very relative term ) movement through this.

In between this Santosh's tyre burst climbing on to a stump and it was duely replaced. I was not there at the spot so santosh can explain this.

Now Scorpio is ready to do this . It comes menacingly towards the dip , keeps extreme left and tries to come down the incline. But the front suspension was hitting the rock . So he takes it back up and corrects the course and again comes down and takes a right. And there she goes sliding to the right . In an instant it slides and Traaaash!!!. There goes the right quarter glass for a toss. The stump of the branch that was cut was the culprit and now it was wedged into to C pillar and tree. The C Pillar the Silencer ( It is raised ) were all in real danger now. Immediately she was stopped on her tracks and an impact analysis was done.

Bangalore OTR - chikkaballapur 14-15 Nov report.-avalkonda127.jpg

Here starts on of the highlights of this OTR. Now we had to rescue this beast from further damage and continue with the OTR. It was a very tricky situation and there was a heated discussion about what has to be done. At last the discussion came to a conclusion that Swastik Vijis monster has to be used again. Deliberate plans were drawn how to use the winch . The winch couldnt be used in a traditional manner to pull the monster up the incline because then the stump will damage more. We had to pull the Scorpio towards the left , push it from the right to dislodge the stump , hold it there and move it forward. As you see it was complicated.

I need more photos of this operation to continue. Request people to post it or give it to me to continue the narration.

Contd...

Last edited by Jaggu : 18th November 2009 at 15:27. Reason: Oversized picture, view issue for mobile users and re-orienting one snap. Thanks
Old 19th November 2009, 09:34   #79
Senior - BHPian

Sorry guys, was held up too much and could not continue.

As we finished our refreshing refreshments, the demon inside every off-roader became more alert. And hence it decided to take a much difficult terrain than the previous trail. And here we go for that!

I couldn't see how Spidey crawled in this stretch(thanks to the slow blue jeep) but when I reach there I see Dwarak's Isuzuki sandwiched between trees. The moment I see this, my immd worry was about Scorpio. The hurdle was like this.

A steep incline with rocks. You go straight you go no where. You need to take a sharp right. But even if you take that, you cant continue. You need to back-up a little and clear the place. Easier to say.

And the other problem was the narrow gap because of the thick tree branches.

Dwarak had made it easily to the incline and was about to turn. Thats when the vehicle slide slightly and almost hit the branch. But, who are you kidding with, its not the 1.3 gypsy anymore man, it got its heart transplanted and so much much younger than the driver .

Bangalore OTR - chikkaballapur 14-15 Nov report.-img_0354.jpg

Bangalore OTR - chikkaballapur 14-15 Nov report.-img_0355.jpg

Bangalore OTR - chikkaballapur 14-15 Nov report.-img_0356.jpg

Bangalore OTR - chikkaballapur 14-15 Nov report.-img_0357.jpg

Bangalore OTR - chikkaballapur 14-15 Nov report.-img_0358.jpg

Bangalore OTR - chikkaballapur 14-15 Nov report.-img_0359.jpg

A right, little back to the left and again right. There you go, the happy Isuzuki leaving the hurdle with a happy smile behind.
Bangalore OTR - chikkaballapur 14-15 Nov report.-img_0360.jpg

Followed by others
Bangalore OTR - chikkaballapur 14-15 Nov report.-img_0361.jpg

here comes Prabuav
Bangalore OTR - chikkaballapur 14-15 Nov report.-img_0362.jpg

Our Disco-Light-dancer!
Name:  IMG_0363.JPG
Views: 1162
Size:  99.4 KB

Bangalore OTR - chikkaballapur 14-15 Nov report.-img_0364.jpg

I see this and turn to see the scorpio crawling to the place. But I see the usual driver outside. I run there thinking it may be Rehan on the wheels, but I see a lady driving it. Man she was a excellent driver. Following the spotter perfectly. But the problem is, the passage was too narrow for the scorpio. So, when it crossed, the cladding near the rear got royal hit in the tree branch.

We were worried if the tail light will also get screwed, but luckily it was not.

Bangalore OTR - chikkaballapur 14-15 Nov report.-img_0365.jpg

Bangalore OTR - chikkaballapur 14-15 Nov report.-img_0366.jpg

Then I think Rehan took the wheels and proceeded for the incline. The heavy Scorpio did find it hard for the incline. I mean, the weight was just taking the vehicle.

Bangalore OTR - chikkaballapur 14-15 Nov report.-img_0367.jpg

Bangalore OTR - chikkaballapur 14-15 Nov report.-img_0369.jpg

Bangalore OTR - chikkaballapur 14-15 Nov report.-img_0371.jpg

Look at the gap. Infact we all were thinking about the Exhaust pipe may be getting the hit.
Bangalore OTR - chikkaballapur 14-15 Nov report.-img_0372.jpg

When he was about to turn that sharp right, unfortunately the vehicle slided a little and landed on the tree branch.
Bangalore OTR - chikkaballapur 14-15 Nov report.-img_0373.jpg

Bangalore OTR - chikkaballapur 14-15 Nov report.-img_0374.jpg

And, there was no way out!!!
Bangalore OTR - chikkaballapur 14-15 Nov report.-img_0375.jpg
Old 19th November 2009, 10:14   #80
Senior - BHPian

Ah painful to see Scorpio getting bruised both on left and right hand side!!

One observation, when Prabhuv MM540 could come with such a wide distance from tree then why is that others were almost going to scrape the tree?

Last edited by vinod_nookala : 19th November 2009 at 10:15.
Old 19th November 2009, 10:22   #81
Team-BHP Support

None of our trails are fit for big SUVs, the chances for damage are very high.
Old 19th November 2009, 11:10   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
Ah painful to see Scorpio getting bruised both on left and right hand side!!

One observation, when Prabhuv MM540 could come with such a wide distance from tree then why is that others were almost going to scrape the tree?
It looks like that. Actually, look at this pic.
Bangalore OTR - chikkaballapur 14-15 Nov report.-img_0362edit.jpg

He is just entering into the gap. The pic was taken before he entered the gap.

And the slippery is right on the light green leaves. Hence you can see, even though the scorpio made is with good gap in the front, it slide and got on the branch when turned.

Last edited by mjothi : 19th November 2009 at 11:12.
Old 19th November 2009, 11:24   #83
Senior - BHPian

True to the fact. This particular trail is not for safari/endevour/nissan patrol/TLC, etc. and definitely not for MM pickup

More pictures here
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore OTR - chikkaballapur 14-15 Nov report.-image_064.jpg  

Bangalore OTR - chikkaballapur 14-15 Nov report.-image_065.jpg  

Bangalore OTR - chikkaballapur 14-15 Nov report.-image_066.jpg  

Bangalore OTR - chikkaballapur 14-15 Nov report.-image_067.jpg  

Bangalore OTR - chikkaballapur 14-15 Nov report.-image_068.jpg  

Bangalore OTR - chikkaballapur 14-15 Nov report.-image_069.jpg  

Bangalore OTR - chikkaballapur 14-15 Nov report.-image_070.jpg  

Bangalore OTR - chikkaballapur 14-15 Nov report.-image_071.jpg  

Old 19th November 2009, 14:27   #84
Team-BHP Support

Where is the scorpio ECU located? If its in the engine bay, then if water goes so high won't it damage the electronics.. making the air intake pointless?
Old 19th November 2009, 14:40   #85
Sha
BHPian

Video of decline

Have more videos but youtube is still processing from 4 hrs.
Old 19th November 2009, 15:40   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Where is the scorpio ECU located? If its in the engine bay, then if water goes so high won't it damage the electronics.. making the air intake pointless?
ECU is located inside the dashboard on the passenger side. But even if it is in the engine bay, there is no way water can get inside the ECU as they are water proof, dust proof and shock proof. Dont you wash the engine bay with high pressure water jet in service stations?
star_aqua is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2009, 15:44   #87
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by star_aqua View Post
ECU is located inside the dashboard on the passenger side. But even if it is in the engine bay, there is no way water can get inside the ECU as they are water proof, dust proof and shock proof. Dont you wash the engine bay with high pressure water jet in service stations?
No, they may be splash proof to some extent, but direct waterr jet will kill it. There have been reports of the same, thats why Tata now puts a rubber ECU cover on the ECU, so that even if engine bay is washed, water will not damage it.
Moreover, submersing inside water can damage many electronics which are "splash proof".
Old 19th November 2009, 15:49   #88
Senior - BHPian

After looking at the video i now know how tricky manevoure was this!! Has space for a gypsy to go, you guys squeezed a scorpio!
Old 19th November 2009, 16:02   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
No, they may be splash proof to some extent, but direct waterr jet will kill it. There have been reports of the same, thats why Tata now puts a rubber ECU cover on the ECU, so that even if engine bay is washed, water will not damage it.
Moreover, submersing inside water can damage many electronics which are "splash proof".
Nope. i have no idea about how the Delphi ECUs are sealed, but i can say Bosch ECUs are sealed and they are made water proof. Even the sensors and harness are made water proof.
Old 19th November 2009, 16:39   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
After looking at the video i now know how tricky manevoure was this!! Has space for a gypsy to go, you guys squeezed a scorpio!
HAA! that's what we did

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks