Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions

Search this Thread
Old 15th November 2009, 22:30   #1
Senior - BHPian

Bangalore OTR - chikkaballapur 14-15 Nov report.

So as usual we had an excellent OTR. And believe it, this terrain is awesome. You have stream crossing, rocks, slush and what not. And yes, bushes and braches to "hold" you from making any progress.

It started with around 12 people with camping on saturday night. Some more joining on sunday morning for the OTR.

I dont want to say anything about the numbers. Look at yourselves.

Leaders!!!
Bangalore OTR - chikkaballapur 14-15 Nov report.-img_0253.jpg

Men,
Bangalore OTR - chikkaballapur 14-15 Nov report.-img_0258.jpg

Bangalore OTR - chikkaballapur 14-15 Nov report.-img_0259.jpg

Bangalore OTR - chikkaballapur 14-15 Nov report.-img_0260.jpg

Bangalore OTR - chikkaballapur 14-15 Nov report.-img_0254.jpg

Machines
Bangalore OTR - chikkaballapur 14-15 Nov report.-img_0255.jpg

Bangalore OTR - chikkaballapur 14-15 Nov report.-img_0256.jpg

Bangalore OTR - chikkaballapur 14-15 Nov report.-img_0257.jpg

This post is to keep my promise of starting the report today itself

So, more will be coming soon and
Bangalore OTR - chikkaballapur 14-15 Nov report.-img_0261.jpg

P.S. A very special thanks to
Mr. Srinivas for providing us the location to stay and enjoy free of cost.
Mr. Chandan - For those delicious Sandwich.
Mr.Rehan & Co - For those Nimbooz, refreshing drink.
And ofcourse, Mr.Dwarak & Mr.Vinay - for organising once again a special OTR for all us to have fun.

P.S2. A special thanks to Mr.Shakir too. For pulling and rescuing the Blue tractor with the Gypsy...

Last edited by mjothi : 15th November 2009 at 22:37.
Old 15th November 2009, 22:40   #2
Senior - BHPian

Ah, after 15hours (door-door), 1 swollen knee (thx to a branch), sore back, body pain, tired eyes, 1 busted and flat pirelli sidewall (thx to a tree stump), few scratches on the diff's and center cross member.............. It Begins.... All over again.
Old 16th November 2009, 08:17   #3
BHPian

yeah ,

After many a lakes , many a wine yards , many a afields we reach a place . It has slush , lakes , muck , stream , boulders , mind defying dips , bushes , jungle trail and what not.

It was like a through and through action movie spanning for about 6 hours non stop. The adrenaline started flowing from the start of trail till the end and we were on the verge of its overdose by the end of it.

Yes, full report will follow. I have to think this through. But I can tell you one thing. This was one of the toughest and awesome OTR that I have had.

Aha what a satisfiable pain in the shoulder and legs I had yesterday night. That cannot be described.
Old 16th November 2009, 09:26   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
So as usual we had an excellent OTR. And believe it, this terrain is awesome. You have stream crossing, rocks, slush and what not. And yes, bushes and braches to "hold" you from making any progress.

aww damn. i missed this one..
Hope you guys had a good time. please put all pix asap.
Old 16th November 2009, 12:44   #5
BHPian

Let me list down the snap shots that come down to my mind while thinking about yesterday . Will develop it when I have time in the evening.

Wine Yards ,
Breakfast at Chik bellapur ,
Driving through a narrow road with fields on both the sides and hills after the fields.
Lakes big and small
In to the trail on 3rd Low
Narrow trail with some tricky dips and rocks
Water crossing
Rajesh getting stuck
Steep descent with a left turn
NIMBOOZ break
Scorpio getting stuck (on a tree!!) and recovery mission
Uprooted trees
Steep Ascent through Boulders
And a descent which was the trickiest of all
Lunch in the forest
Ascent and descent from a mud pit
Through the lake bed to the last point

As you see there is lot to tell. And I will . Let me get some time and let the photos come as it is not fun without photos. And the narration will be from my point of view as I was a bit behind in the first sections and on the fore front in the last. So I would have missed something

Last edited by Baburajs : 16th November 2009 at 12:47. Reason: Spelling correction
Old 16th November 2009, 13:55   #6
Senior - BHPian

Enough of teasers guys...getting restless, please bring the real show:-))
Old 16th November 2009, 14:11   #7
Sha
BHPian

I guess everybody are still enjoying body pains.
Terrain was challenging and we need to thanks M.P Sreenivas for showing us the terrain and allowing us to camp in his farm house.
It's more challenging than Munnar OTR only difference is it's in lower altitude.
Photos are in processing stage will upload by night.
Old 16th November 2009, 14:13   #8
Team-BHP Support

Till now we've seen only Dwaraka's briefing part which is pretty much common in BLR OTR. Where are the pics guys? Where's the report?
Old 16th November 2009, 14:19   #9
Senior - BHPian

Friday, 13th Nov, 2009
@7pm
I get a call from our spiderman (How do we call a man with Spidey???) asking if I am joining for the OTR on 15th Nov. There are guys going for the camp one day before. I can join them if I wanna camp or join Khan-saab, if starting on sunday morning.

Ha, the mentioning of the word CAMP rung a huge bell in my mind. I have been thinking of camping for quite some days and seems I got a chance now. I tell him, will join the guys for camp, call up Vijay & Vijay confirm things and all set.

Saturday, 14th Nov 2009.
I got ready, start my Honda (Activa!), curse the saturday afternoon traffic, crawl like a snake in between those traffic and reach Vijay's place by 3pm. I met Krishna there. Had a small chat (Quick meet!!) and bye bye to him.

Around 3:30pm we start from Koramangla, and reach the meeting spot @ 5pm. Met with Mr.Srinivas, Rajesh and Dwarak sir. On the way picked up Vijay's friend (Kempraj) from Hebbal.

Did a small shopping and started for the camp.

Traffic was manageable, but after crossing the Airport, it was simple empty. We entered the town at 6:30pm and made the first halt.

The plan was to have short eat and proceed to camp spot. Then cook and have dinner there. We had a new variety tiffin. Buns , the fried buns seems to be a famous dish of costal karnataka.

When we finished Swatik Vijay and Shakir joined us. Then we left the place at 7:30pm. When we took the deviation to the spot from town, this is how it was.

Dark, darker and darkest!!!.
Bangalore OTR - chikkaballapur 14-15 Nov report.-img_0209.jpg
Bangalore OTR - chikkaballapur 14-15 Nov report.-img_0210.jpg
Bangalore OTR - chikkaballapur 14-15 Nov report.-img_0211.jpg
Name:  IMG_0212.JPG
Views: 2687
Size:  13.5 KB
Bangalore OTR - chikkaballapur 14-15 Nov report.-img_0213.jpg
Bangalore OTR - chikkaballapur 14-15 Nov report.-img_0214.jpg
Bangalore OTR - chikkaballapur 14-15 Nov report.-img_0216.jpg
We zoomed through those dark forest and reached the entry point to the spot. Now time to engage the hubs and be ready for the 4x4 to be in action.
Man in action
Bangalore OTR - chikkaballapur 14-15 Nov report.-img_0215.jpg

If not for Mr.Srinivas, I dont think we would have navigated ourselves to the camp spot so precisely in those dense dark forest. All we know was to follow the vehicle in front. The lead here was the Explorer.

We park all the vehicle, get the torches, lamps ready and gather for the camp fire. Our Srinivas comes and here is the conversation.

S: Please be careful not to go near the bush. We have snakes here.
We: Oh, really?
S: Yes. Make sure you dont keep any eatables outside, we have wild boar too.
We: OMG
S: Yes, there are talk about other animals, but so far we have not been lucky to see.
We: What?

And praying we should not be so lucky, we start the campfire.

Dwarak sir, brings the wood logs, assembles, fires and there you go. Fire in between the dark forest.

While Sir was engaged in keeping the fire, our other friends had fun in their own way.

Have you heard of the phrase "Sooriyanuke torcha???" ["Showing torch to sun"]

If you have been in the camp you would have seen that. Only difference is, there was no sun. So, our guys started showing lights to the on coming traffic. Traffic here is - Big birds, the Airplanes.

With all those funny things around, some feeble music, we started to go back to our olden days. Oops, not days, its generations!!!

yes, bake the potato and capsicum in fire. No utensils, no cookeries, nothing. We just tried to live our ancestors life for a while. And man, it is so nice. Except the thought that we should go back to normal life in a day, worried all of us.

Forget it for a while. Lets have fun for coming hours.

Then around mid-night, we get our tents ready, and go for a sleep.

And while sleeping, we had noises from every corner. The moment I hear the noise, first thing came to my mind was what Mr.Srinivas mentioned "wild boar"

But, this was so rhythmic, as Rajesh put it, that then I realized it to be the snoring sound from people.

Thinking about the next day OTR, the stuffed capsicum we had, talking about the bunch of guys who are gonna join us next day and all sort of topics, we finally slept.

No one knows when we slept. But we were given clear instruction not to wake up until 8am the next day. To take good rest and be ready for OTR.

But seldom our warden knows that we always like to do the things mentioned "NOT" to be done!!!

P.S. Anyone has the pics of the campfire? I doubt if anyone took, but just in case. Please post it here if you got it.
Old 16th November 2009, 15:06   #10
Senior - BHPian

Finally the report starts flowing.

Keep 'em coming!
Old 16th November 2009, 15:09   #11
Senior - BHPian

mjyoti, Good start. I have some pictures of the night camping. Will post them this evening. OTR was fantastic. this terrain will offer atleast 6 months of OTR trails, if I am wrong. Special thanks to MP Sreenivasan for discovery of the trail. He had the hunch that we will not complain about the trail and took us through impossible tracks. He satiated our OTR appetite.
Old 16th November 2009, 15:20   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaraka View Post
.. He satiated our OTR appetite.
Satiated - Few of us newbies needed ENO after over eating the OTR Track

Simply superb eye opener for new comers. My respect for my Jeep increased thousand folds after this.

Mjothi - Keep them coming. Others - where art thou? There were some professional pho'grphrs too..!! I remember 4 D-SLR's and least-3 Digicams. cMon guys...

Last edited by khan_sultan : 17th November 2009 at 17:31. Reason: cleanup
Old 16th November 2009, 15:46   #13
BHPian

BLR OTR of the year!!

I can say it was the BEST of the BEST OTRs we had around Bangalore so far. If it had rained, then it would be atleast a 2day OTR. This is what i was expecting to have, before i take a long break from Jan 2010!! This OTR even made me to forget about the Munnar event.
Old 16th November 2009, 15:49   #14
Senior - BHPian

As usual the bangy boys have fun.

Curious, Is that a KRV flag on the Spyder?
Old 16th November 2009, 15:51   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by star_aqua View Post
... before i take a long break from Jan 2010!! .
. You getting married or what? What's this about?

Most Viewed