Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions

Search this Thread
Old 17th November 2009, 13:01   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuraliR View Post
did the "spidey" manage the 60 degree climb?
No no and no. Its a suspense
Old 17th November 2009, 13:16   #47
BHPian

Photos please!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
No no and no. Its a suspense
When are we getting to see the photos? I was in touch with star_aqua and was planning to come along with him, but since I had to go to my in-laws, I couldn't. Now who says that after marriage you can easily go to OTRs ?
Old 17th November 2009, 13:29   #48
BHPian

Lemme post a teaser pic
This SS was very scary. A vedio would do justice. anybody has it?
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore OTR - chikkaballapur 14-15 Nov report.-dsc_6793.jpg  

Last edited by star_aqua : 17th November 2009 at 13:37.
Old 17th November 2009, 13:40   #49
Senior - BHPian

This thread is turning out to be a great 'teaser'!
Old 17th November 2009, 14:10   #50
Senior - BHPian

Here is the photolink of my photos.

Picasa Web Albums - Dwarakanath - Avalakondu-OT...
Old 17th November 2009, 14:36   #51
Sha
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by star_aqua View Post
Lemme post a teaser pic
This SS was very scary. A vedio would do justice. anybody has it?
Shall I put the video of Gypsy pulling your Jeep .
Yeah definately that SS was very scary after long time I felt something real challenging terrain.
Teaser Video of SS

Old 17th November 2009, 14:52   #52
Team-BHP Support

Shakir, why was he braking so much? Couldn't he have smoothly come down without ABC in 1-Low?
Old 17th November 2009, 15:02   #53
Sha
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Shakir, why was he braking so much? Couldn't he have smoothly come down without ABC in 1-Low?
Firstly willy is petrol engine and i do not know how 1st low ratio work in it, but in Gypsy there was "No ABC" had to use brakes in 1st low otherwise gone straight down. Video and photos will never tell how this SS was everybody had goose bump.
Old 17th November 2009, 15:15   #54
BHPian

Ok guys . Lets roll . Let me try to relive that Sunday . It was indeed a day to remember . I havent had such a day in my life where the adrenalin flow didnt stop at all for our 6 hours ( or is it more)

All started on a lazy Friday evening. I was just browsing through TBHP website and saw the thread for 'last minute OTRs' updated by Dwarak sir. Went in and saw that there is a chickbellapur OTR on 15th Nov. Instantly I was hooked. Called my brother in law and confirmed he is also coming ( The more the merrier right) . And the reports from the last OTR there came running through my mind . I was looking forward to this happening. My jeep had a small starting problem but thought its good to go. But I wasnt ready for what was waiting for me. (oooh I am getting goose pimples) .

On Saturday night I was getting up intermittently with the anticipation and fear of not getting up at the right time. At last got up at five finished the morning formalities ( or necessities ) by around 6 and off we started for the awesome day of our lives.

Reached Columbia Asia hospital by about 6.45 and saw Khan , Raj , Santosh , Immanuel, Vijay (MM540) and others there. The weather was perfect for two things. To sleep under a warm blanket or for an OTR. We had chosen our path. It was drizzling lightly and it was cold .

It was here I saw a yellow streak of light through the road. Didnt understand what it was. My mind registered it as a Lamborgini only after it had reached Devenahalli I think ( it was that fast ) .

Filled Diesel ( the elixir of life ) in the Jeep and started through the smooth tarmac (my jeep didnt like this much ) to Chickbellapur. reached there by about 8 and had good Idly Vada and coffee. Every one picked up snacks and water from here ( Lesson well learnt from last OTR) . I also packed some rice bath for lunch. It was here I came to know that there were people camping there in OTR area and we will join them there.

Here we also met a group of bulleteers ( my two wheeled brothers ) who had come on a drive. We were checking out their machines and they were checking out ours.

Started from this place , took a left from CBpur town . I thought we are reaching the OTR spot soon. But the narrow road to ecstasy just had started. First there were small villages , some people , goats and buffaloes. Then there were only lakes , fields , wine yards , quarries and trees. No people. It was just a picture perfect drive. I had already started missing by Nikkon DSLR. To cut the big story short we reached the entry of the trail by 9.30. We were waiting for the guys in camp to joing us. Many of us were trying to call home and to our dismay ( or happiness) there was no signal. Binu ( My BIL) climbed on the bonnet of the Jeep and got a faint signal and called home and updated them that we are in for a long grind ( I didnt want to go near that phone lest be kicked through the phone )

By around 9.50 people from the camp joined us with Srinivas . All of us locked the hubs and were ready to go. After the customary cautions and briefing we entered the TRAIL

Contd.....

Last edited by Baburajs : 17th November 2009 at 15:21.
Old 17th November 2009, 15:17   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Samurai,

Engine braking was poor because it is baleno 1600 cc petrol version. Secondly, if you notice the tyres, they were hard enough and filled air to the brim. Grass made the tyres skid even with braking. My feeling is he was also using clutch.

This incline was the tricky one. We slid this inclide with heart in mouth. I hope am not exaggerating here.
Old 17th November 2009, 15:17   #56
BHPian

Quote:
This section required stop-steer-go technique. Its a steep decent with boulders and grass. even the speed in 1st low is too much for this section. Using brake was the safe method to come down slowly step by step. If not will end up in damaging the diff, tyres and loads of stress on the steering system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sha;
Shall I put the video of Gypsy pulling your Jeep
No OT here OK?

Last edited by star_aqua : 17th November 2009 at 15:22.
Old 17th November 2009, 15:21   #57
Team-BHP Support

Guys, I know one cannot judge the terrain by video, that is why I asked a question for better understanding. Besides, I didn't remember it was the Baleno engine powered Jeep. In a 5:38 ratio Jeep, 1-low can be really slow. I have slided down despite being in 1-low because it was too slow for the slope.

I asked because he was slipping down rock, not braking could have given some control. No? Ok, may be not with petrol engine.

Last edited by Samurai : 17th November 2009 at 15:26.
Old 17th November 2009, 15:23   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sha View Post
Firstly willy is petrol engine and i do not know how 1st low ratio work in it, but in Gypsy there was "No ABC" had to use brakes in 1st low otherwise gone straight down. Video and photos will never tell how this SS was everybody had goose bump.
Shakir Willys has Baleno Carburetor Engine and Gypsy gear box, gypsy Trancefercase, its Same as your Gypsy torque. hence "NO ABC"
Old 17th November 2009, 15:28   #59
Team-BHP Support

I didn't know Baleno had carburetor Engine too, mine was MPFI.

Last edited by Samurai : 17th November 2009 at 15:30.
Old 17th November 2009, 15:30   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys, I know one cannot judge the terrain by video, that is why I asked a question for better understanding. Besides, I didn't remember it was the Baleno engine powered Jeep. In a 5:38 ratio Jeep, 1-low can be really slow. I have slided down despite being in 1-low because it was too slow for the slope.

I asked because he was slipping down rock, not braking could have given some control. No? Ok, may be not with petrol engine.
Hi Sharat,

May be i can comment since I was one of the 2 stock 5.38'rs with stock engine. Since I was already trembling being a novice, I used max braking effort (1st low crawl), and the rocks werent much help & offered very little resistance to tyres. Probably i didnt want to go at the normal speed of 1st low crawl, and intended to slow it down further by braking.

BabuRaj - Can you comment on your drive down that slope?

-EDIT-
Quote:
I didn't know Baleno had carburetor Engine too, mine was MPFI.
Hi Viji sir, All Baleno's started off with a MPFI engine if i am not wrong. May be it was the 1.3Ltr Esteem engine??

Last edited by svsantosh : 17th November 2009 at 15:33.

Most Viewed