Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions

Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2009, 17:12   #16
Senior - BHPian

Hey Guys,

Totally forgot to attach this one. My First Off Road climb in that awesome MM.

Offroading event in the city of joy - Kolkata chapter's first OTR report-aniket-mm.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy View Post
Please post up the rest without soap opera style pseudo-suspense breaks
Arre baba Rajan bhai, the break was one of suspense, but certainly not pseudo. Note the time when the first post was put up. One does require sleep, doesnt he?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
Please pass on my compliments to UBS sir...
Will do, unless UBS sir reads this thread himself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
Hello UBS Sir and Bengal Tigers,

Reminds me of the first time we went there in Jan 2006. The place hasn't changed much.

Nice to see the OTR scene kicking off in West Bengal.

BTW - Can you guess why the winch cable snapped? and why the winch line, was hooked back onto itself and why wasn't a tree-trunk protector used on the tree-trunk.

Please use a damper/blanket/tarpaulin on a live cable, we guys in Chennai have come very close to similar disasters.

Regards,

Arka

PS - Safety First
Hi Arka, have heard a lot about you from UBS. Good to see you participating in this thread.

Your technical tips are noted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post
Of course I would have love to see more. Its great to see the master UBS in action. I really envy you guys.
Thank you buddy. There are plenty more pics coming up, once I collate the pics from the other camera. Plus 1100D has some cool shots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post
Hope to see more events happening. predatorwheelz, this should further induce you on the Nomad project, all the best.
You're right. The last 2 days, I've only been thinking of the way the MM tackled those inclines, and trying to compare technically how a Gypsy would have been different. Truly bitten by the off-road bug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOS Power View Post
@predatorwheels, I did not even drive "Rani" anytime throughout the event so thats certainly not me who got stuck with it on the rock.
Apologies sir. Ladies and gentlemen, Joseph DID NOT disgrace himself by beaching a jeep on his first OTR!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaraka View Post
Predator,

Good report with bit too much masaala in the first thread.

Finally the West bengal offroading is kicking. Congratulations to UBS and all of you. Very good begining on first OTR.

Wishing the gang to become bigger and bigger every time.
Well the first post wasnt written with a deliberate view to inject masala, you could just call it the art of storytelling.

Glad you liked the thread. So far the Bengal scene is only alive. With UBS' blessings, we might just get it kicking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
That's a great report PW. Must be a great experience to get your first offroad lesson from the grandmaster of Jeeps.

I only person I can recognise in the pics is Adiraj, he has thicker beard since I met him last year.
Thank you. Have you met our 4 yr old, avid Jeeper, Mahi? Here's a pic of dad and daughter.

Offroading event in the city of joy - Kolkata chapter's first OTR report-dad-daughter.jpg
predatorwheelz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2009, 17:21   #17
BHPian

Excellent report PW. Looks like it was good fun and a lot of learnings. Its a nice way to start the OTR chapter here. Keep up the good work.
Old 1st December 2009, 23:15   #18
Senior - BHPian

The Line up
L-R Rani, Raja (2wd), Gung Ho(Ayan),'52 Bawan, "Hunk", WHO, HIM

Offroading event in the city of joy - Kolkata chapter's first OTR report-img_9823.jpg

L-R HIM, WHO, "hUNK", '52 Bawan, Gung Ho, Raja, Rani

Offroading event in the city of joy - Kolkata chapter's first OTR report-img_98201.jpg

There should be no confusion now regarding who is what (The MM540 will be him - so is HIM)
The Hunk (The perception altering machine)

Offroading event in the city of joy - Kolkata chapter's first OTR report-img_9824.jpg

The sweet little Jeeper

Offroading event in the city of joy - Kolkata chapter's first OTR report-img_9825.jpg

RANI (Gorgeous - I am still in love)

Offroading event in the city of joy - Kolkata chapter's first OTR report-img_9830.jpg

UBS Addressing the Gathering

Offroading event in the city of joy - Kolkata chapter's first OTR report-img_9832.jpg

NOS and Ayan

Offroading event in the city of joy - Kolkata chapter's first OTR report-img_9836.jpg

Some pics of the Supari Incline

Offroading event in the city of joy - Kolkata chapter's first OTR report-img_9865.jpg
Offroading event in the city of joy - Kolkata chapter's first OTR report-img_9841.jpg

Thats PW making it, a walk in the park

Offroading event in the city of joy - Kolkata chapter's first OTR report-img_9843.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post

The Great Arc Jeep (I will keep referring to it as the gung ho jeep) was brought into service. Adi controlled it, while I was made to sit in the rear to act as ballast (I'll never hear the end of this - you sure will not!).
This is what he means

Offroading event in the city of joy - Kolkata chapter's first OTR report-img_9849.jpg

Quote:
We all watched and learnt the art of winching. Vidyun's car slowly climbed up.
Some pics

Offroading event in the city of joy - Kolkata chapter's first OTR report-img_9850.jpg

Offroading event in the city of joy - Kolkata chapter's first OTR report-img_9854.jpg

Offroading event in the city of joy - Kolkata chapter's first OTR report-img_9858.jpg

Quote:
The rani jeep was brought in. Its winch tied to Gung Ho's bumper. In addition, the torn winch rope was tied to Raja's bumper. Together Raja and Rani pulled out Gung Ho from the river.
I will rephrase that as

"The Bawan jeep was brought in. Its winch (Rani does not have a winch) tied to Gung Ho's bumper. In addition, the torn winch rope was tied to Rani's bumper. Together Bawan ('52) and Rani pulled out Gung Ho from the river"

Quote:
I was amazed by how light the steering of these Willys jeeps was, almost like power steering,
MA vs VR - Simple physics

Quote:
Anirban does a cool climb
PW thanks for exaggerating my abilities. This was neither cool, nor a climb. This was the final challenge which UBS threw on me (remember this was the prallel climb beside the normal climb for the others were taking place), tried thrice but the Jeep came down each time. Adhiraj tried it next and was able to make it third attempt.

However looking at the snap, probably I feel better, as I never thought I made it this high on the climb.

Or wait, this could also be the one prior to the final challenge which the jeep took easily.

In the end that final challenge really drenched me emotionally. I dont think I quite have the Jeep thing in me.

Quote:
Ayan is one of the first to do the descent, look how easy he makes it look
Even the Jeep is not making any sound about it!

Quote:
Joseph gets into the act. I was marshalling at this stage, and his body language was one of ease.

I was beside Joseph when he did the "Supari" climb, he made the MM540 climb the slope as if he was taking a SS rally stage. His initial jeep placement went a bit off, but the way he got the thing to react at each and every contact moment was just awesome, I guess he was the only offroader who got the jeep jump out sideways. The huge advantage I though was that, he could actually make it with a very small landing area.

Quote:
My wife Sanchayata deserves a special mention.

Ultimately she went for the jump. Put the car in 4L, 1st gear, gave it too much gas. The vehicle flew up in the air halfway through the incline, then landed with a thud. We were lucky that we did not lose control. Of course, from outside it looked spectacular.
Hats off

Quote:
Then UBS came on. I dont know how he did it, but Raja did complete the climb!
Judging by his character, I would probably say that he would not like to take this credit. Raja did not make it. It slid backwards from this very moment. However he got close and the reason why Raja could not make it was because of the foot board on the right side was brushing against the hump.Quite commendable that, he would have otherwise made it.

Quote:
On our way back, Rani (now driven by Anirban and Ayan) kept breaking down. The culprit was kachra in the (long unused) fuel line. But Pavan and team were available ready in the convoy, so everytime we stopped, they did something to get the car moving.
Precisely, first time, clean the main jet
second time, clean the main jet and Idle jet
Third time, she started right up and moved
Fourth time, blow the fuel line, clean the AC pump filter, clean the reservoir, clean the main jet again.
Fifth time, this was after a long long time, almost near home, Ignition coil wire disconected itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyAn! View Post
@1100D-Remember the ride back in the LHD Willys?! What an experience.
What Ayan? Do we talk about our experiences on the way back!

Quote:
All thanks to UBS for organizing such a wonderful event and sharing his cars. Also thanks to captain Adi for sharing some of his pics with me).
Absolutely, thanks so much.

Offroading event in the city of joy - Kolkata chapter's first OTR report-img_9840.jpg

Best part was that, was able to understand that it isn't as easy as it looks. Its quite difficult and tricky at times, and personally I think, there isn't quite an offroader in me.
Old 2nd December 2009, 10:08   #19
BHPian

Nice pics @1100D.

@1100D/@Ayan: What happened on the way back ?
Old 2nd December 2009, 11:08   #20
Senior - BHPian

Wow wow wow..how couldn't I spot the thread before! Thats really great to see a proper Jeep OTR in Kolkata and that too under the physical guidance of UBS and his son. And last but not the least you people had the chance to drive the legendary jeeps in his possession. Good report there @predator. BTW, the great looking green jeep belonging to Ghanashyamji is probably not a 540, it has a Kaiser type pattern sidewise, not too sure.
-regards,
Old 2nd December 2009, 12:00   #21
BHPian

Super! I lived in Kolkata all my life with a Gypsy and never knew about this. Well now I am in good hands of the NIOC mods (NCR jeepers) but whenever I am in Kolkata next i will connect up with the guys for an OTR!

Cheers
Ankit
Old 2nd December 2009, 12:54   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSlow View Post
Super! I lived in Kolkata all my life with a Gypsy and never knew about this. Well now I am in good hands of the NIOC mods (NCR jeepers) but whenever I am in Kolkata next i will connect up with the guys for an OTR!

Cheers
Ankit
Anytime buddy. The OTR scene will only grow from now on.
Old 2nd December 2009, 17:01   #23
Senior - BHPian

Well - did try and 'connect' to the Kolkata gang and let them know of the event - Razor (Scorpio 4x4) and Neil Law (LR Defender) - i thought both of them will make it.

But the lead time should have been more - if i / the Group members were informed of the OTR well in advance - the turn out could have been more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
In the end that final challenge really drenched me emotionally. I dont think I quite have the Jeep thing in me.

...and personally I think, there isn't quite an offroader in me.
Well - are you sure? thought i heard something else

i ditched because something came up at the last moment. Stayed happy with these: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1608214-post5985.html &
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1535222-post5528.html

Now who will say there isn't a Jeep thingy in me?
Old 2nd December 2009, 18:17   #24
Senior - BHPian

My goodness Aniket. I had to miss this due to lack of lead time?!?!? I wish I had the information a week in advance. But frankly I also didn't realise that there would be off roader vehicles available at the event. Do keep me posted for such future events. I hope there will be more and you have my number.
And thanks for the excellent narration and pics.
Sudipto
Old 2nd December 2009, 18:43   #25
Senior - BHPian

Well well. So much appreciation! And the final set of pics hasn't even been posted yet!

I'm sure UBS sir will be mighty pleased.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
I will rephrase that as

"The Bawan jeep was brought in. Its winch (Rani does not have a winch) tied to Gung Ho's bumper. In addition, the torn winch rope was tied to Rani's bumper. Together Bawan ('52) and Rani pulled out Gung Ho from the river"

MA vs VR - Simple physics

PW thanks for exaggerating my abilities. This was neither cool, nor a climb. This was the final challenge which UBS threw on me (remember this was the prallel climb beside the normal climb for the others were taking place), tried thrice but the Jeep came down each time. Adhiraj tried it next and was able to make it third attempt.

However looking at the snap, probably I feel better, as I never thought I made it this high on the climb.

Or wait, this could also be the one prior to the final challenge which the jeep took easily.

Judging by his character, I would probably say that he would not like to take this credit. Raja did not make it. It slid backwards from this very moment. However he got close and the reason why Raja could not make it was because of the foot board on the right side was brushing against the hump.Quite commendable that, he would have otherwise made it.

Precisely, first time, clean the main jet
second time, clean the main jet and Idle jet
Third time, she started right up and moved
Fourth time, blow the fuel line, clean the AC pump filter, clean the reservoir, clean the main jet again.
Fifth time, this was after a long long time, almost near home, Ignition coil wire disconected itself.

Best part was that, was able to understand that it isn't as easy as it looks. Its quite difficult and tricky at times, and personally I think, there isn't quite an offroader in me.
Thank you for all the inputs, Anirban Da. Every storyteller needs a proof editor, doesn't he?

"There isn't quite an offroader in me???!!!!" You disappoint me dada, after all the good things UBS said about you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandisa View Post
Good report there @predator. BTW, the great looking green jeep belonging to Ghanashyamji is probably not a 540, it has a Kaiser type pattern sidewise, not too sure.
-regards,
Thanks Kandisa. AFAIK, the vehicle used the MM540 chassis and engine. Will confirm with UBS and get back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSlow View Post
whenever I am in Kolkata next i will connect up with the guys for an OTR!
Most welcome Ankit. For what you know, next time there might be someone with a similar sounding name, also owning a Gypsy, in Kolkata!

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet_rocker View Post
Well - did try and 'connect' to the Kolkata gang and let them know of the event - Razor (Scorpio 4x4) and Neil Law (LR Defender) - i thought both of them will make it.
Well I'd be quite eager to see how Razor's 4X4 scorpio copes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet_rocker View Post
But the lead time should have been more - if i / the Group members were informed of the OTR well in advance - the turn out could have been more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team View Post
My goodness Aniket. I had to miss this due to lack of lead time?!?!? I wish I had the information a week in advance. But frankly I also didn't realise that there would be off roader vehicles available at the event. Do keep me posted for such future events. I hope there will be more and you have my number.
And thanks for the excellent narration and pics.
Sudipto
Thank you Sudipto Da. And to clarify to both you and Planet, the only reason why I gave you so little lead time is because I had so little lead time myself! That too I called up Planet immediately after hanging up UBS' call.

No issues, will try to arrange something faster next time and let you know.
predatorwheelz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2009, 19:28   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Interesting report and pics! Surprised the OTR "culture" didn't exist in CCU earlier... or was it because driving in CCU city was an OTR activity till 10-15 years ago?
Old 2nd December 2009, 23:43   #27
BHPian

Great report and pictures. There are 2 gurkha in Kolkatta now, wish they had also joined, though I know one would not go where Jeeps are :(
Old 3rd December 2009, 00:29   #28
Senior - BHPian

Excellent write up, report and pics. I wish i was there to participate.
Love the pictures and the captions. Thanks for sharing them with us.
Old 3rd December 2009, 10:08   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOS Power View Post
Anytime buddy. The OTR scene will only grow from now on.
Quote:
Most welcome Ankit. For what you know, next time there might be someone with a similar sounding name, also owning a Gypsy, in Kolkata!
Thanks guys! Now there is one more reason to move back to Kolkata!
Old 3rd December 2009, 10:21   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Kolkata offroaders - this is an awesome thread. Having Mr.Uday Bhan singh with you, what more can you ask for! i thoroughly enjoyed reading this thread. Best of luck for further offroad activities.

Dear Anirban aka 1100D - where art thou? Long time no hear. How is your Fiat?

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Most Viewed