Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: When do we do the Western Ghats Expedition?
July first half 7 18.42%
July second half 13 34.21%
August first half 7 18.42%
August second half 3 7.89%
September first half 2 5.26%
September second half 6 15.79%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 9th February 2010, 10:18   #91
BHPian

Nilgiris

guys from south can count this for an OTR Nilgiris or is it too much to ask,

beejay should bring in more light on these roads.
Old 9th February 2010, 10:29   #92
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunt View Post
guys from south can count this for an OTR Nilgiris or is it too much to ask,

beejay should bring in more light on these roads.
Beejay has kindly offered to organise something for us in the Nilgiris. I'm sure we'll hear from him soon
Old 9th February 2010, 12:31   #93
BHPian

infact beejay and i met on sunday to see a drive for OTR , being forest surrounded still puting in ideas in to it.

IF FEW MORE FROM SOUTH BRING IN IDEAS IT CAN BE FINALISED.
Old 9th February 2010, 13:09   #94
BHPian

There is a forest route from Sholayar to nelliyapathy and from there to top station.would around 170KM thru the forest.Need permitt to try out this.Any idea on this?This area is is in proxy with Valparai,munnar and kodai(if explore munnar- kodai old forest trail again permitt)From Athirapilly waterfalls in Kerala to Kodai thru complete forest trail.
Raj
Old 9th February 2010, 13:34   #95
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
IF FEW MORE FROM SOUTH BRING IN IDEAS IT CAN
BE FINALISED.
Hunt and Beejay lets plan something for summer. I'm sure a lot of people would love to visit Coonoor in summer, perhaps May? This can become an annual thing with offroaders from around the country coming over for a summer break.

Equestrian sports always drew people to Ooty, I guess this time its horses of a metallic nature
Old 9th February 2010, 15:09   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
infact beejay and i met on sunday to see a drive for OTR , being forest surrounded still puting in ideas in to it.
And where is my picture Sir?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Hunt and Beejay lets plan something for summer. I'm sure a lot of people would love to visit Coonoor in summer, perhaps May? This can become an annual thing with offroaders from around the country coming over for a summer break.
That's a welcome idea. Maybe as you have rightly suggested it should serve as an alternative to some estate owners to make a quick buck.

BTW, our elusive HUNT has a farm in Masinagudi. Tough luck, was hardly able to see any good spots. And the good ones belong to the forest department.
Old 9th February 2010, 20:45   #97
BHPian

Quote:

Equestrian sports always drew people to Ooty, I guess this time its horses of a metallic nature
DKG you have an open offer to join us any time to ooty , madhumalai,i hope we can plan on that and how many can join in this.

beejay we didnt go into the farm completely we can defenitely fix an OTR . picture is on the way, as you know its not in my camera gave a reminder hopefully by tomorrow.

only thing is we need to survey properly, i have closed all the openings as lot of locals use this opportunity to tresspass for wildlife with visitors.

infact we can take couple of routs OTR to madhumalai from ooty i know one route for sure. which starts from sholur village and ends up at hairpin bend 10/36.
Old 9th February 2010, 21:02   #98
Senior - BHPian

I have an idea. There are many of us from Maharashtra who would like to join in but due to the route, the availability of time and the time taken to travel and the entire route, it becomes quite impractical, especially keeping in mind the spartan vehicles many of us have, not saying it will not be fun. So what im suggesting is that a posse from this side of the country heads towards a common meeting place somewhere half way or so where we can all have an OTR together. We do the OTRs on this leg and continue towards where we have set a meeting point, say Goa. Just my two bits.

Check this link i found on the net. Maybe HVKumar will be able to comment on this better. Anyways im in.

Google Image Result for http://bajajpulsar.sinha.org/trip/south_india_map_regular.gif
Old 10th February 2010, 09:50   #99
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
DKG you have an open offer to join us any time to ooty , madhumalai,i hope we can plan on that and how many can join in this.
Thanks and please keep us posted on developments. Looking forward to meeting you guys and enjoying the natural beauty of the Nilgiris
Old 10th February 2010, 10:54   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

beejay we didnt go into the farm completely we can defenitely fix an OTR . picture is on the way, as you know its not in my camera gave a reminder hopefully by tomorrow.

only thing is we need to survey properly, i have closed all the openings as lot of locals use this opportunity to tresspass for wildlife with visitors.

infact we can take couple of routs OTR to madhumalai from ooty i know one route for sure. which starts from sholur village and ends up at hairpin bend 10/36.
That's awesome. Probably next time round we can explore more into the area.
I think the route that you have mentioned cuts across the forest. I am going to explore some places this Sunday and will update the same.

Masinagudi has some very good terrains. Unfortunately most of them belong to the forest. Also after the foreign national was killed by the elephant the guys are very cautious to let anyone into these areas.

Did I mention that another bhpian has a resort near Thorapally. We could also ask him to get us into some areas. AFAIK he belongs to the Kenneth Anderson Nature Lovers Society. I am sure he can help.
Close to this resort my friend has a beautiful farm through which the Moyar river runs. Yet, its close to impossible to try crossing the same as it borders the forest. And his plantation roads are tarmac.
Old 11th February 2010, 23:14   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
GQ, Bangalore to Poona.. Not an issue.
Oye ! speak for your petrol self. Driving down in a 540 such a distance gives me the shivers.

Quote:
Good so the Chennai group can join you all in Bangalore and drive up to Poona

While the poll builds consensus on timing, we still need to agree on:

1. Rajmachi and/or Sawarsi (1 day vs 2 day OTR)

2. Rajmachi/Sawarsi and/or Goa (two separate OTR's at different locations consecutively)
Deepak ji, no down south options,

Beejay,

Please do push this Masinagudi option as well. Sounds really interesting and viable for many of us Southies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post
Masinagudi has some very good terrains. Unfortunately most of them belong to the forest. Also after the foreign national was killed by the elephant the guys are very cautious to let anyone into these areas.

Did I mention that another bhpian has a resort near Thorapally. We could also ask him to get us into some areas. AFAIK he belongs to the Kenneth Anderson Nature Lovers Society. I am sure he can help.
Close to this resort my friend has a beautiful farm through which the Moyar river runs. Yet, its close to impossible to try crossing the same as it borders the forest. And his plantation roads are tarmac.
Old 12th February 2010, 09:10   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWolf View Post
Beejay,
Please do push this Masinagudi option as well. Sounds really interesting and viable for many of us Southies.
I am giving it my best shot.
Normally its fine to enter some zones and have fun, provided you are alone and in a single vehicle. The issue here is that it would involve a convoy which is sure to bring their attention. So I am not taking any chances. Fingers crossed.
Old 12th February 2010, 10:01   #103
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWolf View Post
Deepak ji, no down south options,
Beejay and Hunt are exploring options for this summer. Am sure a lot of people would love to escape summer heat in favour of the cooler climes of the Nilgiris
Old 12th February 2010, 12:32   #104
BHPian

we live right here, so others should give a thought , its defenitely worth coming over anytime.
Old 12th February 2010, 15:53   #105
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
others should give a thought , its defenitely worth coming over anytime.
Hunt I think you will get an overwhelming response. The region around Ooty for the past 100+ years was always a draw for people from around the country. Its not for nothing she's referred to as the queen of hillstations!!

If you and Beejay can put together an event which has the approval of the authorities and the locals as a tourism initiative you will become a "must visit" on every offroader's calendar

It just struck me that possibly what will go down very well with the locals and the authorities is if we can do this off season when the place goes quiet. Infact we could do something in winter too where the cold will pose an additional challenge. Bonfire time !!

Last edited by DKG : 12th February 2010 at 15:57.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks