Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: When do we do the Western Ghats Expedition?
July first half 7 18.42%
July second half 13 34.21%
August first half 7 18.42%
August second half 3 7.89%
September first half 2 5.26%
September second half 6 15.79%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 1st February 2010, 20:08   #16
Senior - BHPian

I am glued to this thread now.

The schedule below seems quite mind boggling. Do we have folks who know this terrain and trail?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
Monday - OTR Coorg
Tuesday - OTR Mangalore
Wednesday - OTR Belgaum
Thursday - OTR Goa

Effectively in 5 Years we will know the OTR Trails in and out and then mount a full fledged expedition.

Regards,
Arka
These trails around 100km distances also seem very enriching.

We could consider these as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Some of the approximate distances are indicated against each sector below:

Kollam-Schencottah, < 100 kms
Theni-Thekkady-Kanjirapalli, <150 kms
Kattapana-Idukki-Thodupuzha, <100 kms
Thekkady-Munnar, 110 kms
Munnar-Kodaikanal (OTR), 90 kms
Pollachi-Valparai-Chalakudy, <150 kms
Mannarkad-Anakatti-Coimbatore-Manjoor-Ooty, <100 kms
Gudalur-Cherambadi-Kalpetta, <100 kms
Coorg to Goa is personally little unnerving for me.
  • Vehicle reliability
  • Unknown terrains
  • Number of vehicles (more potential for vehicles getting stuck and delayed)
  • 5 days out doors
Inspite of all this will most probably be there.

Count me in. Glued to this thread.

Last edited by IronWolf : 1st February 2010 at 20:12. Reason: :)
Old 1st February 2010, 21:22   #17
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Just opening up options for us:

A friend has consented to loan us use of his plantation house at Chikmagalur as base camp should we opt to consider that as one

Beejay, great suggestion. In the US guys would run marathons, Harley rides for causes as diverse as muscular dystrophy, to save the whales to just about anything.

Here we could consider something for Save the Tiger or forest conservation or some species that may be endangered in that particular forest.

Lets see how this evolves. I do agree that this cuts well with the government agencies in terms of permissions.

Whitemm550 Arka too suggested the Belgaum-Goa route. Do please share your views on possibilities.

We need more ideas and participation in this thread from offroaders from the region as their inputs are more vital to working the event modalities out.

Arka just a thought, lets go along with your suggesiton of a week long program of atleast three OTR's. Lets say someone can't do it all they can opt for OTR 1,2, or 3 or a combination. So you have people doing the whole shebang or one or two OTR's based on their time and zest levels. If we can get a core group of atleast 5 Jeeps to commit to doing the full event, then slowly more and more people will do the full journey. Also we need to build in a level of endurance requirement so for years the event will pose challenges and keep drawing people back.

Also when you have a journey from one place to another through offroad trails there's a objective to doing all three OTR's. Otherwise people will feel you do one you've done it all kind of thing. But when its a journey from say Belgaum to Goa or the routes HVK and Beejay are talking about the pleasure of accomplishing the feat has greater drive and the multiple OTR's fall into place

Last edited by DKG : 1st February 2010 at 21:40.
Old 1st February 2010, 21:44   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
...plan something for August this year?...
TPC is usually in August each year.
Old 1st February 2010, 21:47   #19
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
TPC is usually in August each year.
Late July? Ideally if we hit the ghats before the rains wash out the roads it would be ideal from an out of towner's perspective. We just need the rains to set in, say about three/four weeks of good rainfall.

Timing is open. Suggestions please
Old 1st February 2010, 21:52   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Very interested in this. I am game.
Old 1st February 2010, 22:19   #21
DKG
Senior - BHPian

In terms of the route options broadly speaking

1. Belgaum to Goa offroad, Belgaum as base camp

2. Chikmagalur, Thirthahalli and Agumbe triangle. There's a wildlife sanctuary nearby, I think Muttodi. Chikmagalur as base camp

3. Routes recommended by HVK/Beejay namely Manjoor/Upper Bhavani near Ooty. Ooty as base camp

Last edited by DKG : 1st February 2010 at 22:21.
Old 1st February 2010, 22:43   #22
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Close to Chikmagalur and adjacent to the Muttodi Wildlife Sanctuary is Jungle Greens Home Stay. From a logistics point of view a setup like this would be ideal for our food and stay arrangements (tent accom at Rs 1100/head incl three meals). Unless ofcourse we have friends here who can coordinate arrangements at a different location

Last edited by DKG : 1st February 2010 at 22:51.
Old 1st February 2010, 23:17   #23
BHPian

DKG - Thats fast - Great !!!!!!
After our conversation the other day i did speak to one of the pollachi jeepers who says he'll be able to get us the permission to go into the Top Slip area that's usually out of bounds.
I've been given to understand that the pollachi area has some awsome trails.
If we do manage this maybe the next stop after ooty could be pollachi /Top slip.
Old 1st February 2010, 23:51   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the traveller View Post
DKG - Thats fast - Great !!!!!!
After our conversation the other day i did speak to one of the pollachi jeepers who says he'll be able to get us the permission to go into the Top Slip area that's usually out of bounds.
I've been given to understand that the pollachi area has some awsome trails.
If we do manage this maybe the next stop after ooty could be pollachi /Top slip.
Traditonally, mobikes are not allowed inside Top Slip/ Parambikulam. Great if you wrangle the permissions. In any case, you can approach this region from Sholayar (Valparai-Chalakudy road) and Nelliampathy (Palakkad District, the other side of Top Slip/Parambikulam)
Old 2nd February 2010, 09:23   #25
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the traveller View Post
he'll be able to get us the permission to go into the Top Slip area
Nice name, hope it actually represents the terrain !!

There's so much beauty all along the western ghats that I am game for any location.

Let us know more on your thoughts of how/where we could organise the meet
Old 2nd February 2010, 09:35   #26
Team-BHP Support

Great Initative Deepak. I am especially interested since it closely passes near my area.

However, getting permissions will be the key enabler. I have enquired locally with the RO and I was told no way they'll allow civilian vehicles into the jungles. Apparently one needs to get permission at the highest level of forest department. Then there is the STF and naxals. So it is tricky if you want to get off the road in the forests of Udupi district.
Old 2nd February 2010, 09:36   #27
Senior - BHPian

I don't know if this is in the plans. Try driving the kodachadri hills with your beast. Pure magic to drive(for off roaders).There is no road actually. It is just filled with boulders/rocks and all the 4 wheels will be on some big rock every sec until you come down/go up the hill. I have seen only mahindra's 4*4 vehicles going there.80% of BHPians might have seen this.
Old 2nd February 2010, 09:44   #28
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
getting permissions will be the key enabler
Most of these forests have ancient temples hidden deep inside. Usually the forest dept allows use of trails to lead up to the temples. If we cannot get permissions perhaps this is a workable option?

The Srisailam forest near Hyderabad has many such temples. One such temple, Ishtakameshwari is visited only by Jeeps and there's regular traffic daily of Jeeps ferrying pilgrims to and from the temple. In monsoon the trail should be a riot. Perhaps we could explore such trails.

Another option is to carry some medical supplies/educational books/aids etc for remote villages. If its for a cause we could perhaps officially get sanction. Just thinking aloud

Last edited by DKG : 2nd February 2010 at 09:48.
Old 2nd February 2010, 12:49   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Great Initative Deepak. I am especially interested since it closely passes near my area.

However, getting permissions will be the key enabler. I have enquired locally with the RO and I was told no way they'll allow civilian vehicles into the jungles. Apparently one needs to get permission at the highest level of forest department. Then there is the STF and naxals. So it is tricky if you want to get off the road in the forests of Udupi district.

Depends on the jungle. BTW which jungle or reserve are we talking about? I can try and get some help if possible.
Old 2nd February 2010, 13:06   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by livyodream View Post
Depends on the jungle. BTW which jungle or reserve are we talking about? I can try and get some help if possible.
Say Someshwara reserve forest, near Agumbe ghat.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks