Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions

View Poll Results: When do we do the Western Ghats Expedition?
July first half 7 18.42%
July second half 13 34.21%
August first half 7 18.42%
August second half 3 7.89%
September first half 2 5.26%
September second half 6 15.79%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 2nd February 2010, 13:21   #31
BHPian

DKG, you have stirred up something here and it seems to have caught everyone's fancy. Good. I shall meet up with the rest of our Goa 4x4 Trails members and let them onto this too.

Last edited by ketla2411 : 2nd February 2010 at 13:28.
Old 2nd February 2010, 13:31   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

I'm game for any place. Let me also search for spots along the mahableshwar region.
Old 2nd February 2010, 13:39   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Nice name, hope it actually represents the terrain !!

There's so much beauty all along the western ghats that I am game for any location.

Let us know more on your thoughts of how/where we could organise the meet
DKG,

Top Slip is the top most portion of the Sheruvani Hills. Its really a nice place.

If its any time in July or August please count me in.

Logistically I can not be of much help (as I am nor resident at the moment) but can come in as a contributing Co-Driver to any one who is interested.

Experienced enough in most of the Kerala Routes mentioned with a few of the Ooty/coimbatore, Medikeri/Cikamangalore area

Please count me in

Best Regards & Drive/Ride Safe

Ram
Old 2nd February 2010, 13:41   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

A week long fest 4x4 driving, in monsoon, would be a dream come true. If the dates don't clash with major events, then I am sure most people would join in.

I am game..
Old 2nd February 2010, 14:02   #35
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by livyodream View Post
Depends on the jungle. BTW which jungle or reserve are we talking about? I can try and get some help if possible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Say Someshwara reserve forest, near Agumbe ghat.
I guess most parts of the Western Ghats are spectacular. If anyone can get help/permissions anywhere that's a big plus in favour of hosting the meet there. If a couple of people manage permissions in say three places within 100-150 kms of each other then our dream OTR event will become a reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by ketla2411 View Post
DKG, you have stirred up something here and it seems to have caught everyone's fancy. Good. I shall meet up with the rest of our Goa 4x4 Trails members and let them onto this too.
We are counting on you guys !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
I'm game for any place. Let me also search for spots along the mahableshwar region.
Tejas Rajmachi during monsoon is an absolute riot from the pictures and videos I've seen. We'll all head there someday soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
Experienced enough in most of the Kerala Routes mentioned with a few of the Ooty/coimbatore, Medikeri/Cikamangalore area
Even if you could spread the word to friends in the region who could help out with clearance from authorities it would be a big help

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
A week long fest 4x4 driving, in monsoon, would be a dream come true. If the dates don't clash with major events, then I am sure most people would join in.

I am game..
Since we are planning in advance chances are it should fit into everyone's calendar

Last edited by DKG : 2nd February 2010 at 14:04.
Old 2nd February 2010, 14:11   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post

Even if you could spread the word to friends in the region who could help out with clearance from authorities it would be a big help
DKG,

Once routes are firmed up I will see what could be done with the Kerala Forest department.

Best Regards & Drive/Ride Safe

Ram
Old 2nd February 2010, 14:14   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If the dates don't clash with major events, then I am sure most people would join in.
That precisely is the point. Now that the idea is welcome to all, IMHO along with the planning for the location/route we should start working on the tentative dates using a poll or something.

It might sound very early to do that but i think there is no specific discussion is required for the same as the poll will do the job, this will help us get a feel of the preferred dates and narrow down to say 2 probable weekends. Will also help us in blocking or calendars.

Once the dates/no. of days are fixed we can always fit in the location, stages etc accordingly and plan better.

List of Holidays just for everyone's reference -

15th Aug - Sunday - Independence Day
19th Aug - Thursday - Parsi NY
10th Sep - Friday - Id
11th Sep - Saturday - Ganesh Chaturthi
02nd Oct - Saturday - Gandhi Jayanthi
17th Oct - Sunday - Dusshera

Not too many holidays on weekdays this year but the 14th - 22nd Aug window sounds good to me.
Old 2nd February 2010, 14:26   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSM-Vtec View Post

List of Holidays just for everyone's reference -

15th Aug - Sunday - Independence Day
19th Aug - Thursday - Parsi NY
10th Sep - Friday - Id
11th Sep - Saturday - Ganesh Chaturthi
02nd Oct - Saturday - Gandhi Jayanthi
17th Oct - Sunday - Dusshera

Not too many holidays on weekdays this year but the 14th - 22nd Aug window sounds good to me.
Clashes with The Palar Challange & Munzerabad Independence day Off-Road. People from Chennai/Bangalore would be taking part in either one of these FOR SURE..

Post Sept, the monsoon would be gone so no fun. I think this has to be in end July time frame.
Old 2nd February 2010, 14:40   #39
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Post Sept, the monsoon would be gone so
no fun. I think this has to be in end July time frame.
Am inclined to agree with you Shahnawaz, end July seems more appropriate.

Post Sept you also need to worry about washed out roads!
Old 2nd February 2010, 14:41   #40
BHPian

Superb idea guys. but I think you should seriously think about the length of the expedition. Being part of the 4x4 trails goa and offroading into the western ghats ( especially during the monsoon) for more than last 10 years , we have realised how unpredictable the tracks are . Even after the recee the tracks become treacherous.There is always a fallen tree or two on the track which takes a lot of time and effort to remove / seek alternate route.River crossings also have to be respected as the water level suddenly rises and falls as per the rains.Plus there are leeches all over the place. Also as the vehicles go by the tracks become more and more slushy making the passage of following vehicles difficult , so winching / towing is a must. all this sounds thrilling but takes alot of time and energy,so it is better to curtail the length initally . As the years go by we can look at longer trails.Believe me the terrain in the western ghats in monsoon is very similar to the RFC malaysia.
cheers
Old 2nd February 2010, 14:44   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Clashes with The Palar Challange & Munzerabad Independence day Off-Road. People from Chennai/Bangalore would be taking part in either one of these FOR SURE..

Post Sept, the monsoon would be gone so no fun. I think this has to be in end July time frame.
Exactly, so by process of elimination we would need to arrive at a few choices on which a poll can be done. Just a suggestion.

And am sure all the Gurus of OTR that we have here will be able to suggest better dates keeping the various impacting aspects in mind.

Last edited by KSM-Vtec : 2nd February 2010 at 14:48.
Old 2nd February 2010, 14:51   #42
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallystar View Post
I think you should seriously think about the length of the expedition.
Its just for the reasons you mentioned that it is being proposed we stick to OTR's off base camps, perhaps three from three separate locations. So the entire event could be a combination of road travel and OTR. The OTR's duration and distance can be decided based on your experiences and factor in all the hurdles and plan an approrpiate distance so we can be back within 8 hours to rest for the day.

By planning successive OTR's at different locations you not only offer fresh challenges but give people a sense of heading out to a destination in final.

The essential proposal is:

Day 1 OTR
Day 2 Travel to next location
Day 3 OTR
Day 4 Travel to next location
Day 5 OTR
Day 6 Travel to final destination/party

Now those who don't wish to do three OTR's can always join in at the Day 3 or day 5 OTR.

So the itinerary is flexible. For guys like us who will be travelling several hundred kms the 3 OTR's will make the entire trip so well worth the effort

How does this sound?
Old 2nd February 2010, 14:53   #43
Team-BHP Support

July experiences the maximum rainfall in the western ghats. What rallystar says takes on a whole new meaning in July.
Old 2nd February 2010, 15:55   #44
BHPian

nice , i like this.
im in.
Suggestions:
1. Since this is a long expedition, we have to expect a few breakdowns, some might be real major also, so id also suggest having a large team of mechanics on board and also keep a record of all garages on route and near the otr spots,
2. we should really do the new spot near pune, called sawarsi, come this moonsoon its going to be a superb trail and probably the most challenging of the entire expedition(rajmachi will be childs play)

just my two bits

regards

Allan
Old 2nd February 2010, 16:03   #45
BHPian

As interesting and tempting as it may sound , a 4*4 expedition through the western ghats , but we have to know that the western ghats is a
BIO DIVERSITY HOTSPOT which is under severe threat , which means that there are numerous groups/organisations (both govt and non govt) who are into researching /conserving of the western ghats.

So we have to ensure that we dont attract thier wrath or we have to find a way to work with them. The other good thing about working with such groups is that they will be a great resource in terms of routes/trails and places to stay/camp.

or we get in and get out before getting caught.

Last edited by siddartha : 2nd February 2010 at 16:07.

Most Viewed