Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: When do we do the Western Ghats Expedition?
July first half 7 18.42%
July second half 13 34.21%
August first half 7 18.42%
August second half 3 7.89%
September first half 2 5.26%
September second half 6 15.79%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 3rd February 2010, 17:45   #61
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Request to altaf,devang,allan and Tejas lets make Rajmachi a great show. We'll drive down from Hyd. Am sure Chennai and Bangalore offroaders will participate too. Will need your help in tips on where we can stay etc at Lonavla

Likewise Goa guys you have a great opp to build something all of us could drive down for. Please set the ball rolling and firm up some dates so we can make plans.

Ideally if you could both dovetail fantastic. Start the party in Rajmachi and end in Goa !!
DKG
Goa is ready. lets firm up the date, let me consult my fellow Off roaders, and get back to you, we have 3 different routes, all ending up in Karnataka,.
Old 3rd February 2010, 17:48   #62
BHPian

but be warned, the routes tat i am talking about would be next to impossible to drive thru in Rains
Old 3rd February 2010, 18:22   #63
BHPian

Whitemm550, now we wouldn't want that do we ? Route's have to be such that they have a certain degree of difficulty, not "next to impossible to drive thru in rains". Thats called banging the door shut in our face !
I am sure that you have something far better than that.. Goa has some really spectacular & thrilling adraline pumping 4x4 Trails in the monsoons.
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitemm550 View Post
but be warned, the routes tat i am talking about would be next to impossible to drive thru in Rains

Last edited by ketla2411 : 3rd February 2010 at 18:32.
Old 3rd February 2010, 19:52   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
This is exactly the terrain we need man !!
Old 3rd February 2010, 20:49   #65
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
DKG
Goa is ready. lets firm up the date, let me consult my fellow Off roaders, and get back to you, we have 3 different routes, all ending up in Karnataka,.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ketla2411 View Post
Goa has some really spectacular & thrilling adraline pumping 4x4 Trails in the monsoons.
Now we are talking !! I think a lot of people will be excited about offroading around Goa, not to mention the best party town in India !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
This is exactly the terrain we need man !!
I second that. We are all looking forward to the monsoon where the usual obstacles become a nightmare without much risk to oneself. Under dry conditions the nasty obstacles can pose a safety risk as they tend to be more severe in gradient etc. But in monsoon the usual simple incline becomes a huge challenge and loads of fun.
Old 4th February 2010, 04:56   #66
BHPian

@ Propeller: How come you have voted for August first half? Not planning to be a part of TPC '10?
Old 4th February 2010, 08:54   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtreme power View Post
we should really do the new spot near pune, called sawarsi, come this moonsoon its going to be a superb trail
Quote:
Request to altaf,devang,allan and Tejas lets make Rajmachi a great show. We'll drive down from Hyd. Am sure Chennai and Bangalore offroaders will participate too. Will need your help in tips on where we can stay etc at Lonavla
As allan said, sawarsi is an awesome trail. I suggest that do the rajmachi fun bit on day 1 and camp at lonavla. There are ample places to stay there, don't worry about those logistics, i will take care of it. On day 2, drive approx 1 to 1.5hours to sawarsi and do the trail there. Sawarsi falls on the bombay - goa highway so you can camp overnight at a temple there and then proceed...

EDIT: IT's too early to vote as of now for the dates, but i would prefer it does not coincide with the TPC, and there is atleast a month's gap between the two.

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 4th February 2010 at 08:58. Reason: see edit
Old 4th February 2010, 11:13   #68
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
As allan said, sawarsi is an awesome trail. I suggest that do the rajmachi fun bit on day 1 and camp at lonavla. There are ample places to stay there, don't worry about those logistics, i will take care of it. On day 2, drive approx 1 to 1.5hours to sawarsi and do the trail there. Sawarsi falls on the bombay - goa highway so you can camp overnight at a temple there and then proceed...

EDIT: IT's too early to vote as of now for the dates, but i would prefer it does not coincide with the TPC, and there is atleast a month's gap between the two.
Sounds like a great plan Tejas. A two day event on two very different trails would be great fun

I am not sure how many people would like to do the Rajmachi/Sawarsi and Goa trails consecutively. If the majority don't want to do it consecutively then we need to select weekends across the July-September period and plan the events.

So it looks like between you guys and the Goa folks we have two good events in the making. Thanks and looking forward to finalising some dates.

May I suggest the Bombay guys consider the 17/18 weekend of July. How does that sound? Given the gap the Chennai group would be comfy travelling to the event and be back for their work for TPC
Old 4th February 2010, 11:43   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

Cool. So let's freeze the discussion on the bombay and goa trails unless allan, devang or mohan can add to it. Dr. Mohan, is very good at exploring trails and his inputs are quite valuable.

During the drive from bombay to goa, there is the chiplun area (midway) which is a forest area there may be options for trails there as well. An overnight halt can be taken in Chiplun. I personally feel the bombay - goa belt should be taken as one event. Otherwise travelling from chennai and hyb twice to the same region may become cumbersome. Bombay to Goa is around a 9 hour drive.

Another suggestion:
Once all dates and trails for all areas are fixed, can someone approach mahindra and maruti (lot of gypsies in maharashtra) and ask for service support (like the bangalore event)?

And if the event turns out to be as big as i anticipate, i can approach NatGeo or CNBC TV18 as well for coverage. This ofcourse, is at a later stage.

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 4th February 2010 at 11:44. Reason: added info
Old 4th February 2010, 11:50   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiery enzyme View Post
@ Propeller: How come you have voted for August first half? Not planning to be a part of TPC '10?
Oops i had forgot . We have our TPC here . Then i would vote for October only .

You know TPC can rip the vehicle apart . 1 month to get the vehicle ready.
Old 4th February 2010, 11:55   #71
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I personally feel the bombay - goa belt should be taken as one event.
I would love that. Just don't know how many more would want to do it so. I agree with your logic of doing away with the need to drive to the region twice. Makes sense

If we are suggesting combining Bombay and Goa then how does one trail at each location with a day for travel between sound?

For Hyd and Bangalore offroaders this would mean:

Day 1 travel to Lonavla
Day 2 OTR
Day 3 travel to Goa
Day 4 OTR
Day 5 travel back to Hyd

For Chennai we may need to add another day to travel up and down

How does this sound?

Quote:
Once all dates and trails for all areas are fixed, can someone approach mahindra and maruti (lot of gypsies in maharashtra) and ask for service support (like the bangalore event)?
The Bangalore guys can guide you on how they managed the service support. Behram could also point to the right people at M&M

As for Maruti perhaps the local Maruti dealer at Lonavla (or Pune) can help out.

Quote:
if the event turns out to be as big as i anticipate, i can approach NatGeo or CNBC TV18 as well for coverage
Good idea

Last edited by DKG : 4th February 2010 at 11:57.
Old 4th February 2010, 12:05   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
For Hyd and Bangalore offroaders this would mean:

Day 1 travel to Lonavla
Day 2 OTR
Day 3 travel to Goa
Day 4 OTR
Day 5 travel back to Hyd
Only 2 days OTR is less for so much traveling. I suggest this:

Day 1 travel to lonavla and if you reach by 12 noon, then you can complete the rajmachi trail on that day. this trail has been done so many times, a night OTR can also be done. Camp at lonavla.

Day2 travel early morning to sawarsi (only 1.5hours away) Do the OTR till evening (5 obstacles - but with the slush - will take time). leave for goa. have a night halt at chiplun (should reach at approx 11pm to midnight)

Day 3 leave early and reach goa by noon latest.

From here, the goa boys can suggest.
Old 4th February 2010, 12:11   #73
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Only 2 days OTR is less for so much traveling. I suggest this:

Day 1 travel to lonavla and if you reach by 12 noon, then you can complete the rajmachi trail on that day. this trail has been done so many times, a night OTR can also be done. Camp at lonavla.

Day2 travel early morning to sawarsi (only 1.5hours away) Do the OTR till evening (5 obstacles - but with the slush - will take time). leave for goa. have a night halt at chiplun (should reach at approx 11pm to midnight)

Day 3 leave early and reach goa by noon latest.

From here, the goa boys can suggest.
Tejas the travel time to Pune alone from Hyd without any stops would be approx 10 hours. There's no way you can plan a OTR the same day.

Further it is inadvisable to plan an itinerary with any night time travel or for that matter OTR's post sunset. Its plain unsafe for both road travel and OTRs

If you wish to spend two days at Lonavla and the Goa guys want to do their OTR over 2 days too then its an additional 2 days to the itinerary suggested. Meaning for Hyd Bang offroaders it becomes a 7 day trip and for Chennai guys a 9 day trip.

I am okay with such a longer trip with 4 OTR's. But how many would want it this way? Remember after the Bangalore OTR most left the same night. Even the Hyd bunch who originally intended to stay opted out and headed to Bangalore instead.

Last edited by DKG : 4th February 2010 at 12:16.
Old 4th February 2010, 12:20   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

Point taken.

I really wish you guys would also tackle sawarsi as well. If one starts early, maybe we can do both trails in one day. Again depends on the number of cars.

Let's wait for other inputs from the rest of the bombay gang.

EDIT: i think if there are many of you guys, best is to truck your cars down to bombay a few days prior and fly down or come by train. It'll save time and energy and less wearing out of your cars for a 10 hour constant journey.

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 4th February 2010 at 12:22. Reason: see edit
Old 4th February 2010, 12:21   #75
Senior - BHPian

In my opinion we should look for a place at the mid point so that the travel time for all the teams reduces and OTR time increases. We could also find a location close to Goa which could keep us busy for 4 OTR days.

Day 1 - Travel to Spot close to Goa
Day 2-4 - OTR & Party
Day 5 - Travel back home

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks