Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions

View Poll Results: When do we do the Western Ghats Expedition?
July first half 7 18.42%
July second half 13 34.21%
August first half 7 18.42%
August second half 3 7.89%
September first half 2 5.26%
September second half 6 15.79%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2010, 12:49   #76
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
Hi Siddu,

We can tie up with the conservationist groups to provide our vehicles and members for their expeditions if it is vehicle mounted.

There is a serious shortage of 4x4s and experienced drivers we can even fill in that gap.

Regards,

Arka

PS - MPSreenivasan gave me this suggestion in 2008, a pre-requisite is good noise,light,water & fire discipline from the participants.

ARKA- yes that is a great way we can do our jeeper bit for the environment. It would be awesome for jeepers who are inclined towards conservation/research.

i had the good fortune of helping a researcher friend of mine with my vehicle for 3 days in bandipur national park. all access including core areas and anti poaching camps , covered abt 300 kms within bandipur.
It was a once in a lifetime chance to see parts of bandipur which i couldn not have othrwise. The main focus here was of course my friend's work.

What i was trying to say here was different, here the main focus should be our jeeping excercise and have a couple of researchers thrown in along with us who can help us with the trails and places to camp and inturn we can help them by giving monetary donations to thier organisations or help them with publicity of thier work.
Old 4th February 2010, 12:56   #77
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Can I request Bombay/Goa/Kerala/Karnataka/Chennai/Hyderabad and other interested offroaders to pitch in their vote on time frames prefered so we can summarise and close this poll and move onto the next issue of nature of event ie 1 day OTR or 2 day OTR etc also whether people wish to club say the Lonavla and Goa OTR's in one event or keep it separate

Almost 1500 views but only 15 votes. Step it up guys so the end result is a genuine consensus

Last edited by DKG : 4th February 2010 at 12:59.
Old 4th February 2010, 13:07   #78
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
As allan said, sawarsi is an awesome trail. I suggest that do the rajmachi fun bit on day 1 and camp at lonavla. There are ample places to stay there, don't worry about those logistics, i will take care of it. On day 2, drive approx 1 to 1.5hours to sawarsi and do the trail there. Sawarsi falls on the bombay - goa highway so you can camp overnight at a temple there and then proceed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Sounds like a great plan Tejas. A two day event on two very different trails would be great fun

I am not sure how many people would like to do the Rajmachi/Sawarsi and Goa trails consecutively. ...

May I suggest the Bombay guys consider the 17/18 weekend of July. ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Cool. So let's freeze the discussion on the bombay and goa trails unless allan, devang or mohan can add to it. Dr. Mohan, is very good at exploring trails and his inputs are quite valuable.

During the drive from bombay to goa, there is the chiplun area (midway) which is a forest area there may be options for trails there as well. An overnight halt can be taken in Chiplun. I personally feel the bombay - goa belt should be taken as one event. Otherwise travelling from chennai and hyb twice to the same region may become cumbersome. Bombay to Goa is around a 9 hour drive....

Sound like an awesome plan. am game for this one -- Mid July, around Bombay/Poona area and then party in Goa :-)
Old 4th February 2010, 13:19   #79
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Shahnawaz do you have a good highway connection direct to Pune?
Old 4th February 2010, 13:25   #80
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Shahnawaz do you have a good highway connection direct to Pune?
GQ, Bangalore to Poona.. Not an issue.
Old 4th February 2010, 13:31   #81
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
GQ, Bangalore to Poona.. Not an issue.
Good so the Chennai group can join you all in Bangalore and drive up to Poona

While the poll builds consensus on timing, we still need to agree on:

1. Rajmachi and/or Sawarsi (1 day vs 2 day OTR)

2. Rajmachi/Sawarsi and/or Goa (two separate OTR's at different locations consecutively)

Last edited by bblost : 4th February 2010 at 14:29. Reason: as requested
Old 4th February 2010, 17:10   #82
BHPian

I would like to join in and would prefer 2nd half of July. Have indicated that in the poll too. An expedition ending in Goa would be great!
Old 4th February 2010, 18:32   #83
BHPian

sounds interesting , are there any guys from coimbatore getting on this.

guess not too late to jump in.
Old 4th February 2010, 19:38   #84
BHPian

Rajmachi is just one trail with lots of slush,muck and one big climb, but Sarwarsi would be more technical and more difficult with lots of trails too. The one thing about rajmachi is that the villagers get annoyed and they might spoil the fun.
Old 4th February 2010, 19:42   #85
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
While the poll builds consensus on timing, we still need to agree on:

1. Rajmachi and/or Sawarsi (1 day vs 2 day OTR)

2. Rajmachi/Sawarsi and/or Goa (two separate OTR's at different locations consecutively)
My suggestion would be to let the local lads decide which one to do.

I would prefer AS MANY OTR's as possible in different terrain, so BOTH Rajmachi & Sawarsi and then head to Goa region for more OTR and the party there.
Old 5th February 2010, 03:27   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeshnarayanan View Post
I would like to join in and would prefer 2nd half of July. Have indicated that in the poll too. An expedition ending in Goa would be great!
if 2nd half of july, then i would be the co-driver for gajini jeep. for long drives i prefer AC .
Old 5th February 2010, 09:32   #87
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
My suggestion would be to let the local lads decide which one to do.

I would prefer AS MANY OTR's as possible in different terrain, so BOTH Rajmachi & Sawarsi and then head to Goa region for more OTR and the party there.
Second half of July seems to be the clear choice of preference. Should we close the poll and start one for deciding if peope want both Rajmachi/Sawarsi and Goa consecutively over 5 days or they prefer just one event in one location

Our next poll choices should be:

1. OTR Rajmachi + OTR Sawarsi + OTR Goa (6-8 days including travel time depending on where you are coming in from)

2. OTR Rajmachi + OTR Sawarsi (4-6 days)

3. OTR Goa (3-5 days)

4. OTR Rajmachi + OTR Goa

5. OTR Sawarsi + OTR Goa

Note : There is no denying the location of Rajmachi is spectacular in terms of scenic beauty so please do keep that in mind. Please view videos of previous years events at the location. It is a riot !!
Old 5th February 2010, 16:08   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ketla2411 View Post
Whitemm550, now we wouldn't want that do we ? Route's have to be such that they have a certain degree of difficulty, not "next to impossible to drive thru in rains". Thats called banging the door shut in our face !
I am sure that you have something far better than that.. Goa has some really spectacular & thrilling adraline pumping 4x4 Trails in the monsoons.
ketla bhai, with due respect to you, i would also like you to chip in with some suggestions.what i said was my personal opinion, my degree and levels of anticipation of "impossible" might vary from yours, but i definitely wouldn't want to drive in sand for a OTR in Goa
Old 5th February 2010, 17:06   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by star_aqua View Post
if 2nd half of july, then i would be the co-driver for gajini jeep. for long drives i prefer AC .
Sure! It would be our pleasure (Both Gajini & me ). I am already looking forward to this one.
Old 5th February 2010, 17:17   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeshnarayanan View Post
Sure! It would be our pleasure (Both Gajini & me ). I am already looking forward to this one.
AC is working right? or else get one more sticker immediately on the Gajini saying ''A/C No hand signal''

Most Viewed