Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th March 2010, 06:29   #1

Off road Trip to Lakes of Leh Ladakh in April May, 2010

Hello!

I am planning a off road trip to Lakes of Leh Ladakh. The snow on the passes starts clearing around April May, and that is best time to make trip as the trucks are not allowed during the initial window of 7 to 15 days after first opening of passes. I have done this track earlier and there is vast difference in beauty of various areas with snow blanket and without it in June July.

I will be happy to be joined in by other drivers with their vehicles on this trip. I intend to take my Landrover Defender 110 this time. I intend to tent along the way, where accommodation is not available. Look forward to hearing from Brave Hearts!

Harvinder
Old 14th March 2010, 09:44   #2
BHPian

I am in but.. the problem is at that point of time you need a 4X4 vehicle ;-( and I am driving Honda City!!

I had been there before as well but this time will do in July Aug.. But because of this I am considering buying an SUV soon !!
Old 14th March 2010, 20:50   #3
BHPian

What route do you plan to take? The manali - leh highway would be closed till end of may.
Old 14th March 2010, 20:59   #4
Team-BHP Support

The passes in ladakh(chang La, Ktop) never close for more than couple of days at a time. the army keeps them open as they are vital.
However, till the Srinagar leh highway opens, you cannot reach ladakh. That opening is rarely in April, but sometimes, end of april road does open.
Keep a watch on news items(tribune is a good source) to see road opening.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2010, 21:24   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
That opening is rarely in April, but sometimes, end of april road does open.
One of the best sources for Road Conditions to leh is

high road to..
Old 14th March 2010, 22:17   #6
Senior - BHPian

I too would love to accompany, but would be able to confirm towards Mid or end of April!!!
Old 15th March 2010, 11:52   #7
Senior - BHPian

oops...dont think i can make it that early. Am planning another trip sometime soon.
Old 15th March 2010, 18:27   #8
BHPian

Making a trip last week of Aug to Mid Sep, from Mumbai though.
Old 17th March 2010, 21:03   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by motocamp View Post
What route do you plan to take? The manali - leh highway would be closed till end of may.
Last time I did the trip on 21st May, 2008 and the road was open for more than ten days before that. The route to Lakes will be usual..Manali...Pang and then turn right from climb up right after Pang and so on.
Old 17th March 2010, 21:07   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by motocamp View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
The passes in ladakh(chang La, Ktop) never close for more than couple of days at a time. the army keeps them open as they are vital.
However, till the Srinagar leh highway opens, you cannot reach ladakh. That opening is rarely in April, but sometimes, end of april road does open.
Thanks..I will have first source of information from Jispa, the moment the Manali Leh road is open, I will get a call alongwith driving conditions from season's first lot of drivers operating on the route. Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
I too would love to accompany, but would be able to confirm towards Mid or end of April!!!
Hello, Spread the word around. Lets start making the list of takewiths.
Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by akaushik View Post
I am in but.. the problem is at that point of time you need a 4X4 vehicle ;-( and I am driving Honda City!!

I had been there before as well but this time will do in July Aug.. But because of this I am considering buying an SUV soon !!
Have heart. Keep a watch. Keep on line. You may get a chance to come along till you buy a 4X4. You know one of the cheapest but excellent 4X4 is to buy Suzuki Grand Vitara V6 engine one. It may not cost more than 5 lacs at tis moment. You will be also surprised by the abilty of Cheverlot Forrester, which is actually Subaru...and normally available for 2-3 lacs.
Look around you may ride along in your car!!!

Tell me if that was helpful!!

Last edited by Jaggu : 17th March 2010 at 21:25. Reason: Strongly recommend you to go through Announcement section before proceeding, use EDIT if adding within 15 minutes! Thanks
Old 17th March 2010, 22:56   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarvinderSekhon View Post
Hello!

I am planning a off road trip to Lakes of Leh Ladakh. The snow on the passes starts clearing around April May, and that is best time to make trip as the trucks are not allowed during the initial window of 7 to 15 days after first opening of passes. I have done this track earlier and there is vast difference in beauty of various areas with snow blanket and without it in June July.

I will be happy to be joined in by other drivers with their vehicles on this trip. I intend to take my Landrover Defender 110 this time. I intend to tent along the way, where accommodation is not available. Look forward to hearing from Brave Hearts!

Harvinder
Hi Harvinder,

I would love to join you on the trip but my search for a defender still continues...Let me know if you know of any for sale and if I find something before you leave....I am on...

You have my number from an earlier PM

cheers

Pramod
Old 20th March 2010, 02:46   #12
BHPian

Harvinder count me in. I will be with my couple of my other mates in my Scorpoio. Let me know the exact dates you want to leave.
It would be nice if we could manage 10-15 vehicles.

If possible pm me with your cell number. Talk to you then.
Old 22nd March 2010, 10:14   #13
BHPian

I am in for this trip. I can get my Gypsy. I will be in Baroda in April/May and should be able to join at a days notice.
Old 23rd March 2010, 17:56   #14
BHPian

harvinder, is chandratal also in your route map?
we will be heading to chandratal and beyond around the same time, so lets share details and maybe we do some part or maybe whole stretch together.

tentative plan is to take off by end april, total duration of approx 10 days, must cover points being chandratal and pin valley reserve, and anything more is more than welcome, vehicle would be a jeep or scorpio, people on board include me , my wife, two of our friends . with tented stay or homestay plan, to accomadate a shoe string budget.

anyone else interested is most welcome . pm me for further details.

i have done the manali leh route twice and if luck goes our way by end april the route should be very much do able. best inputs can be got from the manali taxi assoc , lahaul and spiti dm office , and the avalanche study centre . all numbers are available at their websites and they respond well and accurately

sharat
Old 23rd March 2010, 18:01   #15
Team-BHP Support

The road to chandertaal is not cleared before mid june. Early june, even trekking to chandertaal is very difficult, leave alone driving.
On the Srinagar Leh highway, BRO is saying, that barring untimely snowfall, they will be able to clear it by may 1

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks