Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2010, 19:02   #16
BHPian

I did it on an enfield bullet but the passes are really hard on a bike i had to stop for days in towns like Kellong before i could get back out and move. The snow clears on May but that does not mean it does not snow on the way! I was traveling alone so it wasnt really enjoying the scenery for me it was more like what the **** did i get myself into this time!

I was wondering if i should take my Gurkha this time but with its track record on reliability i doubt i would be able to enjoy the trip!

Last edited by Monster_BHP : 23rd March 2010 at 19:07.
Old 24th March 2010, 14:33   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster_BHP View Post
I did it on an enfield bullet but the passes are really hard on a bike i had to stop for days in towns like Kellong before i could get back out and move. The snow clears on May but that does not mean it does not snow on the way! I was traveling alone so it wasnt really enjoying the scenery for me it was more like what the **** did i get myself into this time!

I was wondering if i should take my Gurkha this time but with its track record on reliability i doubt i would be able to enjoy the trip!
I too rode bullet in june 2008 with a company two more bulleteers. We encounted heavy snowing in Rohtang pass, Tanglanga la and khardung la. But experience was out of the world. Initially, feeling was same as yours, what did I get into. But the memories are worth cherishing for life.

Harveender, hardcore offroading does not exist in ladakh anymore. You can say dirt track is going to be there for another couple of years, before 4 lane highway will come up and tunnel work is completed, opened. Then there is no charm in riding or driving on ladakh tracks. Visit ladakh soon to enjoy the wilderness before it vanishes.
Old 24th March 2010, 18:56   #18
BHPian

developed ladakh roads
beyond my comprehension limits, i was there for two years from 95 to mid 97. thats when we travelled all over and the were no roads other than tracks with markers at some places . the road running parallel to pagyong tso was awesome and then was not open to tourists at all. so thinking of a 4 lane highway seems like inhabitation on moon.

tsk: have you been to chandrataal, please culd you share some information.

harvinder: is tso morrari also on the cards?
Old 25th March 2010, 10:37   #19
Team-BHP Support

I attempted chandertaal in October, but had to turn back as the "road" was blocked by landslide.
In reality, it is not a road, but a rocky trail, with narrow sharp hairpin bends here and there, and several water crossings with moderate difficulty.
As for Ladakh, there is not going to be any 4 lane highway soon, just patches of black tarmac here and there, esp on the Srinagar side.
As for Nubra Valley and Changthang plateau, there are plenty of offroad opportunities for those inclined.
A good place on the Manali Leh highway are the Gata loops, and lot of other off road shortcuts which dot the winding road.
A particularly interesting one is Tanglang Shortcut which apparently shaves of 10kms and 30 minutes from the journey. However, its done mostly going downhill, even by buses. Uphill, even 4wDs may spin wheels, its so steep.
Old 25th March 2010, 12:45   #20
Senior - BHPian

i would love to join but not in april, i dont mind in may.
Old 25th March 2010, 15:52   #21
BHPian

No 4X4 as yet & hence Not possible to Join you guys :(

Had done it on Comet couple of years ago, visited M-La, K-top, P-Tso, Chumur, Chushul, Chumathang & Hanle pics here: Picasa Web Albums - anu - sunilHim

Are you guys planning take your family along?

Cheers
Sunil

Last edited by hisunil : 25th March 2010 at 15:54.
Old 25th March 2010, 15:58   #22
Team-BHP Support

Welcome hisunil. your pictures inpired me to do Hanle!
BTW, you went to chushul via Man and Merak, right, or via Erath(Direct Tangste-Chushul road)
Old 25th March 2010, 16:38   #23
BHPian

Sunil

These are cool picutures. The roads to upto Rohtang were being built when I visited in October last year. Unfortunately we did not go beyond Rohtang.

Here are the pictures

Picasa Web Albums - rattan - 09_10_Rohtang#

Regards,
Old 26th March 2010, 10:09   #24
BHPian

Thanks Guys,

@Tsk1979, We went from Tangste-Chushul there is no road here, just sand & rocks besides the Pangong lake, we were not allowed to go from Chushul to Chumathang as we didn't mention Tsagala - Nyoma in the permits, before getting permits, please review the list of places by like 5 different people at lease so you done miss any thing & have to re rout like we had to.

Sumit has written a good log here The Touring Diary: The Dream Trip, will help you guys plan stuff I believe.

@Tatsago, we will meet this Saturday (tomorrow) right?

Cheers
Sunil
Old 26th March 2010, 12:40   #25
Team-BHP Support

Yes Sunil. I am aware about Tsaga La requirement, but when we go from Pangong To Hanle, we will go via Karu due to fuel issues.
Since we want to explore other stuff around hanle, filling up at Karu, then going to Panging chushul hanle will make us short on fuel.
Moreover, the time taken will be same because Karu to Nyoma road is in excellent condition with decent speed runs possible.
Old 26th March 2010, 14:47   #26
Senior - BHPian

Fourteen tourists died in an early blizzard at Rohtang Pass last fall. "Rohtang" means literally "pile of dead bodies".

I am not saying do not go. I am saying if you go, go prepared and do not take any of this road and area lightly. You can die up there if you are stupid.
Old 26th March 2010, 19:26   #27
BHPian

Anyone planning from Bangalore this year ? would love to join ......
Old 26th March 2010, 23:15   #28
BHPian

road via chushul, nyoma to chumatang was breahthtaking, we camped in nyoma for almost 10 days , then ghumatang sulphur springs were our first bath in ages.

also did any of you stop at major shaitan singhs memorial at chushul, it was an inspiring experience.
Old 27th March 2010, 16:30   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hisunil View Post
No 4X4 as yet & hence Not possible to Join you guys :(

Had done it on Comet couple of years ago, visited M-La, K-top, P-Tso, Chumur, Chushul, Chumathang & Hanle pics here: Picasa Web Albums - anu - sunilHim

Are you guys planning take your family along?

Cheers
Sunil
Sunil, 382nd photo of your album, I see a gas kind of discharge from the surface of the earth. What is this. I see the same on 379 and 380 as well.
Old 27th March 2010, 20:20   #30
BHPian

Ladakh is breath takingly beautiful , but just as dirty dan said behind the beauty is the reality of death.

This is the reason it is such a popular adventure drive/ride destination.

If you get stuck , there will be nobody to help you
If you do something stupid even if there is somebody around, they probably wont help you.

plus your vehicle will probably be operating at 50% most of the time do to the altitude.

last but not least, think of the environment,taking a vehicle of the track can do even more damage to the surrounding flora and fauna.

Do Ladakh- but with respect to the environment , people and your own health.

It is one of the last outback in India lets keep it that way

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks