Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions

Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2010, 21:47   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaraka View Post
Sunil, 382nd photo of your album, I see a gas kind of discharge from the surface of the earth. What is this. I see the same on 379 and 380 as well.
Its a tornado / twister, was HUGE, looks tiny in the pic, followed us for about 20 minutes, we saw it on the way back form Chumar towards Mahe Bridge it was on the other side of lake Thadsangkaru Tso (Kiagar Tso)

Wikimapia - Let's describe the whole world!

Cheers
Sunil

Last edited by hisunil : 27th March 2010 at 21:48.
Old 28th March 2010, 21:15   #32
BHPian

well too many cooks spoil the broth ,the plan should be to set a "deadline date" in may for all to come prepared & assemble with their vehicles, at say, chandigarh, when the roads open,going via sangla-chitkul -pooh-nako-kaza-ki-kibber-manali & further to leh will be a great idea as that way we all start a few days earlier, in case the roads beyond rohtang are blocked, & you all can be my guest at pooh{which lies mid way en route to manali},I'll be in my mm550 {restored 2000 army auctioned vehicle} which will create history of sorts.
Old 29th March 2010, 18:26   #33
BHPian

heelletloose: i agree with you, approximate date: mid may
approx route: shimla, kinnaur, lahaul spiti, rohtang, manali circuit, leh can be kept as an optional detour,
assembly point: chandigarh
preffered to have 4*4

all those interested, now step up . and lets get some planning on
Old 29th March 2010, 19:00   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by livyodream View Post
Anyone planning from Bangalore this year ? would love to join ......

We plan to go to Ladakh between July 10th to 18th. this is when they have the Ladakh Confluence, an Art, Cultural and Music show organized. We do not have a 4x4 so we plan on flying to Delhi, take a bus to Manali. From there rent a jeep and drive down to Ladakh.
Old 29th March 2010, 19:58   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by docfreak View Post
approx route: shimla, kinnaur, lahaul spiti, rohtang, manali circuit, leh can be kept as an optional detour,
preffered to have 4*4

Mid May will be litlle difficult for me to join as I have to fly back to Canada on 18thy May. :(. I might be able to push back my return date by one week.

Is it possible to make a plan for the first week of may?
Old 29th March 2010, 20:31   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motocamp View Post
Ladakh is breath takingly beautiful , but just as dirty dan said behind the beauty is the reality of death.

This is the reason it is such a popular adventure drive/ride destination.

If you get stuck , there will be nobody to help you
If you do something stupid even if there is somebody around, they probably wont help you.

plus your vehicle will probably be operating at 50% most of the time do to the altitude.

last but not least, think of the environment,taking a vehicle of the track can do even more damage to the surrounding flora and fauna.

Do Ladakh- but with respect to the environment , people and your own health.

It is one of the last outback in India lets keep it that way
In this place you will get the best help around, and everybody will try to help in whatever way they can. So please please check the base of your statements. Army is the most helpful people there and will always help you.

There is a very little flora or fauna in most of the places there

I will say rush all there as it is the last outback, and if empty China will not take much time to claim it under its boundary.
Old 29th March 2010, 20:35   #37
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
preffered to have 4*4

This thread is about trip to ladakh, wonder how a leh/ladakh trip can have ladakh as an optional detour
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjalihal View Post
We plan to go to Ladakh between July 10th to 18th. this is when they have the Ladakh Confluence, an Art, Cultural and Music show organized. We do not have a 4x4 so we plan on flying to Delhi, take a bus to Manali. From there rent a jeep and drive down to Ladakh.
Confluence is seriously overrated and expensive. But to each one its own. Do note that getting hotels will be tough during that time(more expensive). As for renting jeep from Manali, forget about it. Only vehicle you can rent for self drive is the enfield bullet. Alternatively if you can spend a lot of money, Ford Endeavor is available for rent from Hertz
Quote:
Originally Posted by NullRock View Post
Mid May will be litlle difficult for me to join as I have to fly back to Canada on 18thy May. :(. I might be able to push back my return date by one week.

Is it possible to make a plan for the first week of may?
If you want to go to Ladakh then, take the Srinagar highway. BRO is working round the clock, and there is a good chance that the road will open by first week of may. So if you plan around 5th may, you can be back by 22nd or so, and catch your flight around 25th
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbharat View Post
In this place you will get the best help around, and everybody will try to help in whatever way they can. So please please check the base of your statements. Army is the most helpful people there and will always help you.

There is a very little flora or fauna in most of the places there

I will say rush all there as it is the last outback, and if empty China will not take much time to claim it under its boundary.
Seriously, there is not much danger there. Tourists are plenty, and unless you are trekking, the chance of dying there is less than the chance of hitting a truck on NH1
All those news reports you read are of trekkers.
Old 29th March 2010, 22:12   #38
BHPian

Quote:
hellletloose: i agree with you, approximate date: mid may
preffered to have 4*4
well I can be there at chandigarh with my 4x4 mm550 at a days notice

manali-rohtang-gramphoo-chhatru-Chotta dhara-batal-Kibber-Kunzum la-Losar-hanse-rangrik-kye-LAHUL VALLEY-Chander tal-Kaza-attargu-Tabo-Dhankar-Kungril-SPITI VALLEY-PIN VALLEY-sumdo-malling nala-pooh-Khab--karcham-wangtu-powari-chitkul-kalpa-sangla-jeori-sarahan-rampur-thanedar-narkanda-kufri-shimla-chail-solan-kasauli-pinjore-chandigarh.

1st night stay at shimla, +1 at sangla,+1 at pooh,+1 night in tents near chandertal,+1 night at manali & then we can all start the leh-ladakh lake expedition, this will enable us all to do the full loop.
manali via ropar is nothing special, I would suggest manali via shimla{in case you all wanna avoid the kinnaur-lahaul-spiti detour} rather which is more picturesque & 4x4 kind of track.
I can arrange free accommodation for 20 people at shimla & pooh. As I have houses there.
next to me on the jeep will be Rigzin Dawa,who is a dear friend,a local expert & owns mountains in & around keylong.

all I need is a days notice & a fixed trip launch date
we don't wanna know who all can come when they can,& the if's & but's customizations,we rather need all who can assemble on the fixed date,in chandigarh,in may, with their 4x4's.

negi
Old 29th March 2010, 22:15   #39
BHPian

Quote:
hellletloose: i agree with you, approximate date: mid may approx route: shimla, kinnaur, lahaul spiti, rohtang, manali circuit, leh can be kept as an optional detour, assembly point: chandigarh preffered to have 4*4 all those interested, now step up . and lets get some planning on
well I can be there at chandigarh with my 4x4 mm550 at a days notice manali-rohtang-gramphoo-chhatru-Chotta dhara-batal-Kibber-Kunzum la-Losar-hanse-rangrik-kye-LAHUL VALLEY-Chander tal-Kaza-attargu-Tabo-Dhankar-Kungril-SPITI VALLEY-PIN VALLEY-sumdo-malling nala-pooh-Khab--karcham-wangtu-powari-chitkul-kalpa-sangla-jeori-sarahan-rampur-thanedar-narkanda-kufri-shimla-chail-solan-kasauli-pinjore-chandigarh. 1st night stay at shimla, +1 at sangla,+1 at pooh,+1 night in tents near chandertal,+1 night at manali & then we can all start the leh-ladakh lake expedition, this will enable us all to do the full loop. manali via ropar is nothing special, I would suggest manali via shimla{in case you all wanna avoid the kinnaur-lahaul-spiti detour} rather which is more picturesque & 4x4 kind of track. I can arrange free accommodation for 20 people at shimla & pooh. As I have houses there. next to me on the jeep will be Rigzin Dawa,who is a dear friend,a local expert & owns mountains in & around keylong. all I need is a days notice & a fixed trip launch date we don't wanna know who all can come when they can,& the if's & but's customizations,we rather need all who can assemble on the fixed date,in chandigarh,in may, with their 4x4's. negi
Old 29th March 2010, 23:29   #40
BHPian

tsk is right , we should start another thread with lahaul spiti, and ladakh as a option

negi, great enthusiasm going buddy, me and my buddy(wife)are sure starters for may mid, so lets start working it out with 4 of us as sure goers, others we can add on as things move.
Old 30th March 2010, 03:58   #41
BHPian

Quote:
tsk is right , we should start another thread with lahaul spiti, and ladakh as a option

negi, great enthusiasm going buddy, me and my buddy(wife)are sure starters for may mid, so lets start working it out with 4 of us as sure goers, others we can add on as things move.
Is there any particular reason we cant do it in first week of May?
Old 30th March 2010, 06:56   #42
BHPian

probabilty of clear roads, better skies. thats about it.
till when are you in india nullrock?

Last edited by GTO : 30th March 2010 at 18:06. Reason: Strictly no SMS / Slang on Team-BHP please. Corrected
Old 30th March 2010, 08:02   #43
BHPian

Negi,
Do you know if there are any rest houses at pooh, i am planning a leh-lahaul-spiti trip end of august in a Gypsy.

Anybody planning the trip around similar timeframe?
Old 30th March 2010, 08:12   #44
BHPian

Amar,

valley view guest house near pooh bus stand, their is another good one at labrang,near state bank of india,at pooh.

negi
Old 30th March 2010, 10:26   #45
Team-BHP Support

Srinagar-Leh highway has been opened! That means in 15 days or so tourists will be able to visit ladakh through this route!
I think this is the first time this highway has opened so soon!
Blame it on the consistent 7 degrees above normal temperatures, and lack of snowfall

Most Viewed